-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

December 13, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9357794

Anyone use these? Love them? Hate them?

I'd really love an alternative to raking although cost is an issue.

I'm finding them for $200-250 at Tractor Supply & Lowe's, 42" wide, and it's a mechanical sweeper, not motorized, the rotating spines "pick-up" the clippings and leaves and flip them into a towed catcher/container.

Also found a $1500 motorized pull-behind vacuum & shredder for grass clippings and that seems a little excessive for my 2 acers of grass.
flowers4bees
Bedias, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9416001

Just stumbled upon this note. I do have a pull behind sweeper. I love/hate it. It does a great job of sweeping up the leaves and small sticks and pine cones. The bad part of it, is, you cannot back up with the sweeper, and if you have any string or wire or vines in your yard it gets bound up. (Very large yard, lots of projects over the years) I discovered this year that if I put down a tarp with some old plywood on the edge, then drive the full sweeper over it, dump on the tarp. I was able to get two loads of leaves on the tarp then I would pull the tarp into the berry garden to mulch the plants. It made the work much easier.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9429814

Never have owned one, but I have had serveal neighbors that have owned them. One offered to give me his, the other one stopped using his. I have a riding lawn mower with three plastic hoppers on the back, it works way better than any of the leaf sweepers I have seen. Plus the mower shreds the leaves a little , the sweeper does not. I have also noticed when the leaf sweepers are emptied a lot of grass has been pulled out by the roots. I once watched one of my neighbors trying to clean his drive with a leaf sweeper, he could have sweep it with a broom in 1/3 of the time. So I have a low opinion of leaf sweepers, others may have a different opinion.

brendak654

brendak654
Anna, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2014
8:00 AM

Post #9889424

Yep, I'm on my 3rd one of these guys. What I use mine for is lawn sweeping grass. Then I use the grass to mulch around flowers/trees, etc. I have even considered fertilizing an area of grass to make it more dense to be able to cut it more often to use the clippings for mulching. The grass mulch is gone by next year, but has added nutrients to the ground and improved the texture of the dirt. It's a good thing in my opinion.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America