Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: little spider eating a gnat in my hydroponics

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brandoblues
Kemp, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9358447

this lil guy comes up on top of one of the lights every night. i started feeding him these little gnats that hang out under the porch light. well, this is the first night ive fed him but im seen him for awhile, and firgured id domesticate him, or her(babies!?).

its a jumping spider is all i know doesnt make a web, and i havnt found where he sleeps yet.

what is he? and the gnat would be neat to know as well.

the pic is from a galaxy 3. took a few tries but its not bad for macro photos.

brando

(bout 30 minutes late the gnat was dry as a bone, those little spiders can suck it out of them i guess)

Thumbnail by brandoblues
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 15, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9358786

The gnat is a midge in the family Chironomidae; the spider appears to be in the genus Phidippus, but not enough detail can be seen for a specific i.d.
brandoblues
Kemp, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9359481

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am leaning on the putnami and comatus kinda. I fed a smaller black spider in this genus, and will try to get pics of it. i fed it a small fly i found that had wing damage so after some coaxing he took his lunch under the seed sprouting tray.

love all the nature.

brando
brandoblues
Kemp, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9359500

went ahead and took some pics of the smaller guy, still lookin for him in the guide. common house fly? little thing compared to the ones that try to eat my sandwich on the picnic table.

still lovin the nature.

brando

Thumbnail by brandoblues   Thumbnail by brandoblues         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 16, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9359589

The spider in your second set of images looks different from the your first one - it appears to be in the genus Metacyrba - http://www.austinbug.com/survey/2011/pics/4-30-11metacyrba.jpg
The fly definitely is a muscoid fly, nut can't tell for sure which species.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America