Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Dec 2012 - Happy Holidays Part 2

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Last thread was getting rather long so here is a new one.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289524/

10 days and counting..........................

Thumbnail by Qwilter

For the FL bakers out there.......................got a lemon pie recipe from my FANTASTIC baker friend, who happens to supply me with Meyer Lemons.

This pie uses 2 crusts and is baked like a pumpkin pie.

Thinly slice 2 Meyer Lemons, peel & all ~ 1/8" thick into a glass/ceramic bowl. (If using a regular lemon you would probably need 5 or 6)
Remove the seeds.
Add 2 cups of sugar (I used the sugar stevia mix and used 1 cup)
Cover & let sit at least 12 hours; preferably 24

Beat 4 eggs and add to the lemon mixture.
Pour into crust & add top crust.

Bake at 425 for 15 min
Reduce heat to 350 and bake till "set". I had to bake mine for 60 min & it was still a bit watery.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

my NY house was 15 min away from Newtown Ct., used to shop for quaint and unusual gifts at a boutique Nursery/gift store. Beautiful old CT town, very laid back. My heart goes out to all affected. Those poor little tots, had not even started living.....

Betty as usual such energy and talent.

Having some people withdrawal, bad people Karma. Such as, wrong msg on the machine but seemed important for "Lou" so I call the caller to mention that Lou is not going to respond as he didn't get the msg. Man proceeds to give me H..l for not having a proper answering msg. (the generic that came with the phone is on) imagine.He said I should have my name and phone # and what have you.

Many other run ins. so I have stayed away from things. But can't do that too long as you can see.
So I am back again.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Love the stocking!! What a great idea to include a photo. Precious. The lemon pie sounds yummy. We are all watching our cholestorol (sp?) so have to limit eggs, etc. It's do-able but annoying at times.
I finally got the Christmas table topper and runner finished, the ones I made from the 5" Christmas squares we all did last year. I still have squares left over but I know I'll use them eventually. The topper I made with the 2 1/2" strips is ready to quilt as soon as I get a backing ready. I have strips leftover from that also. I know I'll use them as I like to use browns and turquoise. I've been finishing a few wall hangings to ease my guilt over having so many ufo's. If the top is done it's a quick and fun project now that I'm a bit more comfortable with quilting on
my Pfaff, my regular machine. I save the big stuff for Marie, the long arm. I am not very good at the quilting part but hopefully I'll get better.
I got a call yesterday from my friend Maggie who is hanging three of my quilts at her cafe. When she first opened in April she had bare walls and needed some thing to to decorate the walls so I voluntered (sp?) three wall hangings. Anyway, she sold one yesterday! My favorite!! Now I have to make something to take it's place.......... I'm a bit nervous about it. I just made them for fun but now I feel pressure to make something awesome...... Maybe I had just one 'awesome' wall hanging in me and the well is dry. I'll just have to make something that I like instead of worrying if some one else will like it. Just for fun. Sorry to go on about this but it is a worry at the moment. If this is all I have to worry about........... LOL.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

helene, it's not your fault some people have no manners. You can be sure you won't get any guff from us. Keep in touch with this crowd and you'll feel better. Quilters are awesome!!!

I know I know, hence my whining TU

Gloria - so happy one of your wall hangings sold!!!! Hope the trend continues.

Helene - people are what they are. For every creep there is a wonderful person. My Mom would have wished him Happy Holidays before hanging up on him. Keep your generic response. When I get one of those I leave a very short msg, just in case I did get the wrong person.

Baked PB kiss cookies this AM but only had enuf PB for 2 batches. Promised the kids up in MA cookies & those are their favorites. And have lots of unwrapped kisses left. Guess I'll have to go to the store a bit later.
Think next batch will be white choc chip & cranberry cookies.

Remember - "Blessed are the Quilters for they are the Piece Makers"

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

You jut have to wonder how miserable a person is, and how much they hate themselves, to get nasty over an answering machine massage.They need therapy and to just go away.
Of course, that coming from me, after almost getting in my first fight at 56. I swear I wanted to just take down someone at Joanns the other day. Im still not over it, . Then, I got into it, nicely, with a girl at publix over a rain check, day before yesterday, lol its crazy, but these days, there are just some know-it-alls, and rude people that just set me off.
99.9 % of the time, i just keep it in. I had to use the .1 this week tho. In general, I for sure think you catch more of those bees with honey than vinegar, its like when I see people being mean to a waitress, makes no sense to me, they are in close contact with my food, and I dont want them mad. I can overlook alot of attitude in that case, at least till after eating. I do have the last word with the tip ;-). some lady the other day was getting blood drawn and she was being so rude, I dont know what she was thinking, but to do that to a person that is about to stick you with a needle....no way.
I actually disconnected my answering machine a couple years ago. I got tired of BS from people. Anyone I really want or need to talk to me, knows how to get me in an emergency.

That reminds me, the other day at publix, I was waitng to check out, there was a very nice looking and well put together women in front of me ( in other words, she didnt look like me ;-o), problem was, she would not stop talking on her cell phone, and the cashier was trying to ask her something, I dont know what language she was speaking, but she did not shut up the whole time, I finally tapped her on the shoulder and pointed to the cashier, she still didnt stop, but at least pushed the buttons to finish her transaction. When I got up to the cashier, I started on about how there was no excuse for that, especially from a grown women lol and the poor little guy cashier, just looked t my daughter and said, Im glad she isnt mad at me ...my daughter goes,,,,no, she isnt mad, but Mother can be rather opinionated. :-X.
I blame it totally on medication.

Very exciting about selling the quilt, I would not worry a bit about choice. Your quilts are great and since you dont know who your customer might be, just go with your heart. You did say it was your favorite she sold, so that speaks volumes for your choices.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I like that Jean. Im trying !!

Jean this is sew appropo.

What kind o block do you want for your "Sandy" project. The Log cabin as well or???

Another one that really POed me was: I took 12 christmas pot holders to the quilt shop, all my fabric fancy thread and all. She charges $5.95 or more. I mean I handed her over $70.00. They do sell like hot cakes because of the unique location.Bus loads of people come next door to a Menonite Restaurant and they meander to the shop.

I took a bottle of Press stuff and 1 spool of King Tut,(which I introduced her to). Is this OK? NO NO too expensive get the cheap thread. If you want King Tut you pay full price. I mean $70.00 in hand and she yells at me. The thread costs her $3.00. Jean you said in the very beginning barter only works for one.I know it's Christmas chitters but get a grip.

I am taking advantage of you guys and am whining

Another one:Publix finally opened on Thursday, Huge, brand spanking new. Beautiful.We didn't have a store on the island since last May.

So I am directed to a new register that will open for checking out. This well dressed woman parks herself in the lane, w/o cart and won't let me pass to check out. She was holding the register for her husband w/cart who was no where in sight, won't let me pass for quite a while. Stuff like that is the norm here on LBKafter 26 years I should be used to it..

I think we all need to go & do some Yoga!!!!
I'm prepared to stay out of all (except grocery) stores till after the holidays. All the crazies are now coming out.

Lemon pie is quite tasty. Would never know the peel was left on. And it did thicken as it cooled.
With the sugar/truvia mix we figured 2 g of sugar (only counting the added sugar not what is naturally in the lemon) per slice (1/8 of pie).

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL...one step ahead on that. Ive already had my first Tia Chi and Qigong class. Been practicing and am all signed up to go gung ho in January. Im doing it for health, but its very very calming. I hope to have so much good Chi running thru my body Im not going to know what to do.

And, just so you dont think Im unreasonable, the above mentioned lady at Joanns came up behind me as I was standing at the cash register and took both her hands and put them on my back and pushed me face first into the counter. I think I had a reason to be PO'd. I still kinda wish I had said something, but in my heart know its best I didnt.

LOL Helene, I so hear you.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Whine away Helene and all of you. We can take it here. We will serve cheese with the whine as well LOL LOL LOL Just kidding around ladies. It seems the rush of the season brings out the worst in some. I'm sorry you have had such rude confrontations. There really are some nice people out there though!!! I am learning to stay away from the users and learn who the kind and hlepful are...

Finally finished these
The runner is for my brother's wife for her birthday - Dec 24th!!! The colors on my computer make it look orangy but it is really a very pretty coral...
The placemats are two of eight that I did. The rest went to my three brothers...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry to hear your all having bad day's, but please feel free to vent here.
Barb, love those placemats and Runner, very pretty!

runner is gorgeous and place mats too. Did you just invert them? Did you use flannel or batting or felt for sandwich.?

Thanks all there was more, but I picked my self up dusted me off and put mysel together again.

The lady at Joanns' was a total biage

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 4:13 PM

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

I can certainly use some Whin but so upset right now that I think it best to just say my DIL needs prozac for Christmas!

Beautiful work everyone and Helene, it is so good to see you posting. Was worried that you hadn't done so for a few days.

Leg is giving me a real problem even taking the Vicodin for the pain....don't like to take it but the pain was just getting to bad. Hurry and get here Tuesday so I can get this MRI over with and hopefully find out where we go next.

Jean, the pie sounds really good. I love Meyers lemons and used to make tarts with them. I hope to get some when I go see mom. Lemon pie is very high up on my "love to eat" list. Kim prepared something for breakfast today that was really, really good. Took crescent rolls and covered bottom of oblong pan, place a layer of cream cheese and guava jam mixture on top and covered with another layer of crescent rolls. Oh my, need some perfecting but sure won't complain about the first try. Delicious.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Marion, do you have an ace bandage or a brace for your knee!

Just finished the 4 pillowcases I need for tomorrow. Of course the Serger seized up again so had to do the double seams. Now all I have left to make are 3 Boppee covers. 1 for Kayla and 2 for my little cousins who still use theirs as pillows for watching TV.

Was lovely here today so got weeds pulled in the front beds. Also cleaned out the shed. I need to move the porch furniture in there tomorrow. They are coming Mon AM to start work on the new sunporch. Doubt it will be done by Christmas but maybe for New Years.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

yaaaaaaay Gloria!! Congrats on selling your quilt! Did you realize she might sell some of your "quilt decorations"?

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

HUGS HUGS HUGS AND MORE HUGS to Y'all. so sorry you are having to deal with the bah humbugs!!!!
I had a customer thank me today for saying Merry Christmas !!!! said she has been doing LOTS of shopping, and I was the first!! she said a few people have said Happy holiday's, but most have said nothing!!! I find that sad :(

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

THAT's PC and yes, VERY sad. I have written "Merry Christmas" "May your holiday be filled with good memories and meaningful relationships" on my dry erase board in my office. My employer has not told me to erase it and likely won't. The little community I live in does not have much religious diversity. I don't want to step on any one's toes however any chooses to celebrate or not celebrate.

We have decorations up all over the clinic including 3 Christmas trees (1 4' in lobby, 1 @ 8' in the entry to our counseling department and one more in our group room.)

I had a co worker tell me I should not be saying THAT!! I said I would love it if they fired me for it!!!

Who posted that cute Utube about "If the sign doesn't say Merry Christmas, walk on by"? Wasn't it here on DG or maybe... in my Email? I"ll go look, you'd love it Thunder!!

I looked and looked thru my mail and my husband is checking his now. If he finds it, I'll share it again.

was it a song?? if so Barb posted it!! and yes it was fantastic!!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

as if we didn't already have enough ideas for christmas trees, this was too cute not to post:

Thumbnail by Kizmo

I think this is it.

YES!! Thanks for posting it again, it was driving me crazy trying to find it!

In miniature that would be a really cute ornament. Might need to try that.
Or make it 2 sided, a bit of stuffing, & use a chunk of wood for the trunk so it would stand. And hang small sparkly beads from it. Darn, I may need to try that.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

wow, great idea, Jean! Your brain is working so much better than mine!

Speaking of ornaments, Jean are directions somewhere to the one you gave me? I keep looking at it on my tree and I'd love to try it......

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Has anyone made fabric postcards? This would be a cute idea to do, maybe for next year instead of buying cards.

Found a link on how to make, looks simple enough... maybe we could do this next year as a swap or whatever. Or make into ornaments for the tree?

This message was edited Dec 16, 2012 11:01 AM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am so upset wit people, that for no other reason than hate, want to ruin peoples tradition. On the other hand, I do find myself saying happy holidays, until the week before Christmas. I mean its just been Thanksgiving, our Jewish friends are celebrating and we are getting geared up for Christmas. To me, those weeks are a season. Now the week before Christmas, when O Holy Night is playing constantly in my head, and I can 'feel' it, then I start to say Merry Christmas, and clearly on Christmas eve and Christmas I would not even think to say happy holidays. I dont think saying Happy Holidays is necessarily being against Christmas tho., thats sure not what m thinking when I say it.. Taking down crosses and nativity scenes, not letting you say Merry Christmas, prayer is forbidden in school, no Christmas story programs, that is totally (sp) Blasfamus to me. I have never seen a person, of any religion, complain. Its just the athiest and constitutional zelets (sp). Very very irritating.

Jean, I went to the quilt drive sight to sign up for more blocks, looks like they have just enough. I hope you will take some pictures when you are done. My team leader never acknowledged getting the blocks, I really wanted to see the quilts when they were done. At least I had put delivery conformation on them, and I know they made it, thats the important thing, and Im not fretting if they did make it.

Helene....you are SO right ;-)

Id actually like to make a big tree like that little one. I love it. Like a wall hanging

This message was edited Dec 16, 2012 10:08 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, soon on my way out..

As for the Christmas cards..many of the girls did them with our Dave's Garden Workshop.I made up kits, did the instructions andthey turned out adorable..still have a few left..will post photo

want to comment on all your posts but son will be arriving any time to pick me up for the city..our family Christmas today...

About 1/3 of my gifts are at the door, sure hope he brings the truck..the other 1/3 are at my son Jeff's wrapped just waiting for me to write the tags..enjoyed delivering that last 1/3 over past 2 weekends..

Christmas for me is all but over..I've worked hard and I know all will appreciate the effort..

Barb think you asked the size of the finished twisted wreath block...17"..I want to make an entire quilt for DIL's come the new year so sure hopes Joann's has a lot of beige/off whites

Best I go get dressed

Enjoy your day

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Barb - it's a pattern/kit I purchased from a LQS. I'll get you the info when i get out to the Studio later. Good thing I don't absolutely NEED to do any sewing today. To be close to 80 & sunny today & tomorrow. I just went to HD & got 15 bags of mulch & some poinsettas for at my front door. Days like this I know just why I moved south!!!!!

Betty - those cards are so pretty. You are way too talented. I'd never think to do anything like that.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think LindaKay,Barb,thunder were in the workshop and they did the tree as you are showing, all the folds..

Not talented, just that I pick up so many crafts that they all blend and come easy..not sure but think they did 6 cards each?? Must be one of the workshops about 3 years ago..some went on to make many more

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.