-
AuthorContent
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9358854

Last thread was getting rather long so here is a new one.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289524/

10 days and counting...

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9358861

For the FL bakers out there...got a lemon pie recipe from my FANTASTIC baker friend, who happens to supply me with Meyer Lemons.

This pie uses 2 crusts and is baked like a pumpkin pie.

Thinly slice 2 Meyer Lemons, peel & all ~ 1/8" thick into a glass/ceramic bowl. (If using a regular lemon you would probably need 5 or 6)
Remove the seeds.
Add 2 cups of sugar (I used the sugar stevia mix and used 1 cup)
Cover & let sit at least 12 hours; preferably 24

Beat 4 eggs and add to the lemon mixture.
Pour into crust & add top crust.

Bake at 425 for 15 min
Reduce heat to 350 and bake till "set". I had to bake mine for 60 min & it was still a bit watery.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9358889

my NY house was 15 min away from Newtown Ct., used to shop for quaint and unusual gifts at a boutique Nursery/gift store. Beautiful old CT town, very laid back. My heart goes out to all affected. Those poor little tots, had not even started living...

Betty as usual such energy and talent.

Having some people withdrawal, bad people Karma. Such as, wrong msg on the machine but seemed important for "Lou" so I call the caller to mention that Lou is not going to respond as he didn't get the msg. Man proceeds to give me H..l for not having a proper answering msg. (the generic that came with the phone is on) imagine.He said I should have my name and phone # and what have you.

Many other run ins. so I have stayed away from things. But can't do that too long as you can see.
So I am back again.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9358909

Love the stocking!! What a great idea to include a photo. Precious. The lemon pie sounds yummy. We are all watching our cholestorol (sp?) so have to limit eggs, etc. It's do-able but annoying at times.
I finally got the Christmas table topper and runner finished, the ones I made from the 5" Christmas squares we all did last year. I still have squares left over but I know I'll use them eventually. The topper I made with the 2 1/2" strips is ready to quilt as soon as I get a backing ready. I have strips leftover from that also. I know I'll use them as I like to use browns and turquoise. I've been finishing a few wall hangings to ease my guilt over having so many ufo's. If the top is done it's a quick and fun project now that I'm a bit more comfortable with quilting on
my Pfaff, my regular machine. I save the big stuff for Marie, the long arm. I am not very good at the quilting part but hopefully I'll get better.
I got a call yesterday from my friend Maggie who is hanging three of my quilts at her cafe. When she first opened in April she had bare walls and needed some thing to to decorate the walls so I voluntered (sp?) three wall hangings. Anyway, she sold one yesterday! My favorite!! Now I have to make something to take it's place... I'm a bit nervous about it. I just made them for fun but now I feel pressure to make something awesome... Maybe I had just one 'awesome' wall hanging in me and the well is dry. I'll just have to make something that I like instead of worrying if some one else will like it. Just for fun. Sorry to go on about this but it is a worry at the moment. If this is all I have to worry about... LOL.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9358915

helene, it's not your fault some people have no manners. You can be sure you won't get any guff from us. Keep in touch with this crowd and you'll feel better. Quilters are awesome!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9358932

I know I know, hence my whining TU
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9358936

Gloria - so happy one of your wall hangings sold!!!! Hope the trend continues.

Helene - people are what they are. For every creep there is a wonderful person. My Mom would have wished him Happy Holidays before hanging up on him. Keep your generic response. When I get one of those I leave a very short msg, just in case I did get the wrong person.

Baked PB kiss cookies this AM but only had enuf PB for 2 batches. Promised the kids up in MA cookies & those are their favorites. And have lots of unwrapped kisses left. Guess I'll have to go to the store a bit later.
Think next batch will be white choc chip & cranberry cookies.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9358939

Remember - "Blessed are the Quilters for they are the Piece Makers"
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9358951

You jut have to wonder how miserable a person is, and how much they hate themselves, to get nasty over an answering machine massage.They need therapy and to just go away.
Of course, that coming from me, after almost getting in my first fight at 56. I swear I wanted to just take down someone at Joanns the other day. Im still not over it, . Then, I got into it, nicely, with a girl at publix over a rain check, day before yesterday, lol its crazy, but these days, there are just some know-it-alls, and rude people that just set me off.
99.9 % of the time, i just keep it in. I had to use the .1 this week tho. In general, I for sure think you catch more of those bees with honey than vinegar, its like when I see people being mean to a waitress, makes no sense to me, they are in close contact with my food, and I dont want them mad. I can overlook alot of attitude in that case, at least till after eating. I do have the last word with the tip ;-). some lady the other day was getting blood drawn and she was being so rude, I dont know what she was thinking, but to do that to a person that is about to stick you with a needle...no way.
I actually disconnected my answering machine a couple years ago. I got tired of BS from people. Anyone I really want or need to talk to me, knows how to get me in an emergency.

That reminds me, the other day at publix, I was waitng to check out, there was a very nice looking and well put together women in front of me ( in other words, she didnt look like me ;-o), problem was, she would not stop talking on her cell phone, and the cashier was trying to ask her something, I dont know what language she was speaking, but she did not shut up the whole time, I finally tapped her on the shoulder and pointed to the cashier, she still didnt stop, but at least pushed the buttons to finish her transaction. When I got up to the cashier, I started on about how there was no excuse for that, especially from a grown women lol and the poor little guy cashier, just looked t my daughter and said, Im glad she isnt mad at me ...my daughter goes,,,no, she isnt mad, but Mother can be rather opinionated. :-X.
I blame it totally on medication.

Very exciting about selling the quilt, I would not worry a bit about choice. Your quilts are great and since you dont know who your customer might be, just go with your heart. You did say it was your favorite she sold, so that speaks volumes for your choices.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9358952

I like that Jean. Im trying !!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9358954

Jean this is sew appropo.

What kind o block do you want for your "Sandy" project. The Log cabin as well or???

Another one that really POed me was: I took 12 christmas pot holders to the quilt shop, all my fabric fancy thread and all. She charges $5.95 or more. I mean I handed her over $70.00. They do sell like hot cakes because of the unique location.Bus loads of people come next door to a Menonite Restaurant and they meander to the shop.

I took a bottle of Press stuff and 1 spool of King Tut,(which I introduced her to). Is this OK? NO NO too expensive get the cheap thread. If you want King Tut you pay full price. I mean $70.00 in hand and she yells at me. The thread costs her $3.00. Jean you said in the very beginning barter only works for one.I know it's Christmas chitters but get a grip.

I am taking advantage of you guys and am whining

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9358961

Another one:Publix finally opened on Thursday, Huge, brand spanking new. Beautiful.We didn't have a store on the island since last May.

So I am directed to a new register that will open for checking out. This well dressed woman parks herself in the lane, w/o cart and won't let me pass to check out. She was holding the register for her husband w/cart who was no where in sight, won't let me pass for quite a while. Stuff like that is the norm here on LBKafter 26 years I should be used to it..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9358980

I think we all need to go & do some Yoga!!!!
I'm prepared to stay out of all (except grocery) stores till after the holidays. All the crazies are now coming out.

Lemon pie is quite tasty. Would never know the peel was left on. And it did thicken as it cooled.
With the sugar/truvia mix we figured 2 g of sugar (only counting the added sugar not what is naturally in the lemon) per slice (1/8 of pie).
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9359020

LOL...one step ahead on that. Ive already had my first Tia Chi and Qigong class. Been practicing and am all signed up to go gung ho in January. Im doing it for health, but its very very calming. I hope to have so much good Chi running thru my body Im not going to know what to do.

And, just so you dont think Im unreasonable, the above mentioned lady at Joanns came up behind me as I was standing at the cash register and took both her hands and put them on my back and pushed me face first into the counter. I think I had a reason to be PO'd. I still kinda wish I had said something, but in my heart know its best I didnt.

LOL Helene, I so hear you.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9359028

Whine away Helene and all of you. We can take it here. We will serve cheese with the whine as well LOL LOL LOL Just kidding around ladies. It seems the rush of the season brings out the worst in some. I'm sorry you have had such rude confrontations. There really are some nice people out there though!!! I am learning to stay away from the users and learn who the kind and hlepful are...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9359046

Finally finished these
The runner is for my brother's wife for her birthday - Dec 24th!!! The colors on my computer make it look orangy but it is really a very pretty coral...
The placemats are two of eight that I did. The rest went to my three brothers...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9359147

Sorry to hear your all having bad day's, but please feel free to vent here.
Barb, love those placemats and Runner, very pretty!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9359158

runner is gorgeous and place mats too. Did you just invert them? Did you use flannel or batting or felt for sandwich.?

Thanks all there was more, but I picked my self up dusted me off and put mysel together again.

The lady at Joanns' was a total biage

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 4:13 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9359163

I can certainly use some Whin but so upset right now that I think it best to just say my DIL needs prozac for Christmas!

Beautiful work everyone and Helene, it is so good to see you posting. Was worried that you hadn't done so for a few days.

Leg is giving me a real problem even taking the Vicodin for the pain...don't like to take it but the pain was just getting to bad. Hurry and get here Tuesday so I can get this MRI over with and hopefully find out where we go next.

Jean, the pie sounds really good. I love Meyers lemons and used to make tarts with them. I hope to get some when I go see mom. Lemon pie is very high up on my "love to eat" list. Kim prepared something for breakfast today that was really, really good. Took crescent rolls and covered bottom of oblong pan, place a layer of cream cheese and guava jam mixture on top and covered with another layer of crescent rolls. Oh my, need some perfecting but sure won't complain about the first try. Delicious.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9359185

Marion, do you have an ace bandage or a brace for your knee!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9359222

Just finished the 4 pillowcases I need for tomorrow. Of course the Serger seized up again so had to do the double seams. Now all I have left to make are 3 Boppee covers. 1 for Kayla and 2 for my little cousins who still use theirs as pillows for watching TV.

Was lovely here today so got weeds pulled in the front beds. Also cleaned out the shed. I need to move the porch furniture in there tomorrow. They are coming Mon AM to start work on the new sunporch. Doubt it will be done by Christmas but maybe for New Years.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 15, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9359228

yaaaaaaay Gloria!! Congrats on selling your quilt! Did you realize she might sell some of your "quilt decorations"?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9359357

HUGS HUGS HUGS AND MORE HUGS to Y'all. so sorry you are having to deal with the bah humbugs!!!!
I had a customer thank me today for saying Merry Christmas !!!! said she has been doing LOTS of shopping, and I was the first!! she said a few people have said Happy holiday's, but most have said nothing!!! I find that sad :(

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9359361

THAT's PC and yes, VERY sad. I have written "Merry Christmas" "May your holiday be filled with good memories and meaningful relationships" on my dry erase board in my office. My employer has not told me to erase it and likely won't. The little community I live in does not have much religious diversity. I don't want to step on any one's toes however any chooses to celebrate or not celebrate.

We have decorations up all over the clinic including 3 Christmas trees (1 4' in lobby, 1 @ 8' in the entry to our counseling department and one more in our group room.)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9359377

I had a co worker tell me I should not be saying THAT!! I said I would love it if they fired me for it!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9359387

Who posted that cute Utube about "If the sign doesn't say Merry Christmas, walk on by"? Wasn't it here on DG or maybe... in my Email? I"ll go look, you'd love it Thunder!!

I looked and looked thru my mail and my husband is checking his now. If he finds it, I'll share it again.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9359401

was it a song?? if so Barb posted it!! and yes it was fantastic!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9359462

as if we didn't already have enough ideas for christmas trees, this was too cute not to post:

http://sewlux.blogspot.com/2012/07/tutorial-textured-tree-with-pleats.html

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9359479

I think this is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln01p1M2cH0

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9359540

^_^

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9359560

YES!! Thanks for posting it again, it was driving me crazy trying to find it!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9359616

In miniature that would be a really cute ornament. Might need to try that.
Or make it 2 sided, a bit of stuffing, & use a chunk of wood for the trunk so it would stand. And hang small sparkly beads from it. Darn, I may need to try that.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9359672

wow, great idea, Jean! Your brain is working so much better than mine!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9359683

Speaking of ornaments, Jean are directions somewhere to the one you gave me? I keep looking at it on my tree and I'd love to try it...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9359697

Has anyone made fabric postcards? This would be a cute idea to do, maybe for next year instead of buying cards.

Found a link on how to make, looks simple enough... maybe we could do this next year as a swap or whatever. Or make into ornaments for the tree?

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/fabric_postcard.htm

This message was edited Dec 16, 2012 11:01 AM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9359707

I am so upset wit people, that for no other reason than hate, want to ruin peoples tradition. On the other hand, I do find myself saying happy holidays, until the week before Christmas. I mean its just been Thanksgiving, our Jewish friends are celebrating and we are getting geared up for Christmas. To me, those weeks are a season. Now the week before Christmas, when O Holy Night is playing constantly in my head, and I can 'feel' it, then I start to say Merry Christmas, and clearly on Christmas eve and Christmas I would not even think to say happy holidays. I dont think saying Happy Holidays is necessarily being against Christmas tho., thats sure not what m thinking when I say it.. Taking down crosses and nativity scenes, not letting you say Merry Christmas, prayer is forbidden in school, no Christmas story programs, that is totally (sp) Blasfamus to me. I have never seen a person, of any religion, complain. Its just the athiest and constitutional zelets (sp). Very very irritating.

Jean, I went to the quilt drive sight to sign up for more blocks, looks like they have just enough. I hope you will take some pictures when you are done. My team leader never acknowledged getting the blocks, I really wanted to see the quilts when they were done. At least I had put delivery conformation on them, and I know they made it, thats the important thing, and Im not fretting if they did make it.

Helene...you are SO right ;-)

Id actually like to make a big tree like that little one. I love it. Like a wall hanging

This message was edited Dec 16, 2012 10:08 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 16, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9359740

Morning, soon on my way out..

As for the Christmas cards..many of the girls did them with our Dave's Garden Workshop.I made up kits, did the instructions andthey turned out adorable..still have a few left..will post photo

want to comment on all your posts but son will be arriving any time to pick me up for the city..our family Christmas today...

About 1/3 of my gifts are at the door, sure hope he brings the truck..the other 1/3 are at my son Jeff's wrapped just waiting for me to write the tags..enjoyed delivering that last 1/3 over past 2 weekends..

Christmas for me is all but over..I've worked hard and I know all will appreciate the effort..

Barb think you asked the size of the finished twisted wreath block...17"..I want to make an entire quilt for DIL's come the new year so sure hopes Joann's has a lot of beige/off whites

Best I go get dressed

Enjoy your day

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9359741

Barb - it's a pattern/kit I purchased from a LQS. I'll get you the info when i get out to the Studio later. Good thing I don't absolutely NEED to do any sewing today. To be close to 80 & sunny today & tomorrow. I just went to HD & got 15 bags of mulch & some poinsettas for at my front door. Days like this I know just why I moved south!!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9359743

Betty - those cards are so pretty. You are way too talented. I'd never think to do anything like that.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 16, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9359748

Think LindaKay,Barb,thunder were in the workshop and they did the tree as you are showing, all the folds..

Not talented, just that I pick up so many crafts that they all blend and come easy..not sure but think they did 6 cards each?? Must be one of the workshops about 3 years ago..some went on to make many more

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9359754

Fabric Post Cards. AKA mug rugs

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9359846

Just came in myslef Jean, it is beautiful, just a glorious day out. OOO and the smell of osmanthus filling the air. YUM.

I would like to say this is typical December weather, its usually cooler, but still sunny. So, I too am enjoying while its here. I lived in Louisville once, and for three solid months, there was no sun. I can take some cold, but that gray stuff gets old real fast.

Betty, you have worked so hard, Im glad its all coming together, your sure going to be responsible for alot of smiles.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9359984

temps say 60 here, just got back from shopping, pooped to say the least. Bought a couple bunches of cedar/pine/evergreens for my front planters, the Jeep smelled really nice on the way home!
Helene, love those little mug rugs, cuter than the tree! Thanks for posting :-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9360089

Beautiful day here also. Kim took me out for a few last minute things (still can't drive with my knee) but we no sooner got to Target when she started feeling ill. Not good. Came immediately back home and boy has she been sick. I hope is is over with soon and not some long drawn out stomach virus. Thank goodness for mint hot tea...only thing she is able to keep down so far.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9360166

oh no, not a good time to get the stomach flu! So much stuff going around here, but so far just sinus related between us, which always happens a couple times a year. Hubby says his office is a petri dish..LOL
Sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with the knee. Hopefully the MRI will show something... change in weather pressure here is contributing to ALL my joints and muscles stiffening up. Went out shopping today as 50+ r's and came home feeling more like 90 r's... Hugs to you and Kim, get well soon!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9360180

I am sorry to say I did not do cards, must have been the year before I started...sure wish I knew how to do some of those...were they made with foil looking Christmas wrapping???

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 16, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9360189

Just got home, we had a fantastic christmas Day..everyone loved their pressies

I believe I cut out and put together hundreds of cards when I did a workshop at the house and believe I still have a lot of them somewhere Thunder, if I do I'll post with other things going your way when I'm on your side of the border Friday...I did step by step instructions and I imagine they are still on workshop thread and know You will have no trouble following the instructions..

Past my bedtime

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 16, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9360239

Thunder, knew I had some kits somewhere..found a bag of them..
Knew they'd be good for someone!

night night everyone

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9360289

Thunder, you will love doing these, they can be done with pretty paper, or fabric!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9360300

mine where done with Carol Doak.com free PP patterns. I love them. Enlarged for the potholders or what have you.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9360405

Maybe by next Christmas I'll get some things made - table runner/topper, tree skirts...
Right now the bin of Christmas fabrics are in the middle of the floor. Maybe if I leave it there to remind me!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9360418

Saw the tree skirts. The girls here made..note for Joann purchases...fabric for 5 of them

Can I come shop in your bins. Lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9360428

I'm going to start some tree skirts right after things settle again. I know I'll need at least one before too long, as a gift for my newly engaged DGS. Besides I have so many new blocks, squares and ideas, I just can't wait to start using threm.

If I don't get another chance... A very Merry Christmas to all my very dear friends.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9360463

Merry Christmas to you and yours Karen

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9360474

And from me as well. Sending wishes to all for PEACE - from the hassle, from the dangers and for the soul. Merry Christmas.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9360478

Merry Christmas everyone!

Only one week away, are you all ready! I need to buy a few more gifts for the Grandkids, but most is done!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9360494

LindaKay, wonderful you are almost ready..nice feeling isn't it...family coming to have Christmas with you or will you be travelling to be with them.

Barb, thank you for the wishes..

my christmas is all over with..have a few more pressies to deliver, might do that tonight,
have a few girls coming over tomorrow and by then all getting gifts will have them..

Paul mentioned this morning that we will not work on Friday, off, and he'll see about having lunch on Thursday and leaving early..excited about that.

Have to pack a suitcase but with all my travelling these past several months, I can pack with eyes closed and know exactly what to take with me.

4 days doing nothing would drive me bonkers so I brought in fabric, wonder under and a pattern..cutting tree and nooks/crannys should keep me busy for the afternoon

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9360518

Family is coming in Christmas eve.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9360519

Will be wonderful to have them home with you..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9360547

Yes it will be so nice! Looking forward to it!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9360548

Betty where do you find all of these beautiful patterns??? that is gorgeous!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9360567

Believe I got it in the fabric shop here in Barrie along with stained glass poinsettia pattern..have to look and see if I can find it in my sewing room, lord knows there is lots hidden there
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9360619

I, too, would like to wish a Merry Christmas to all of you here and my very best wishes for the coming New Year. Not know what everyone's faith might be, I also am wishing you the very best. I thank each of you for your friendship, your talents and patience during this past year.

With Kim sick, not sure what we will be doing now. Unless she recovers quickly, we will be staying here as I can not drive. The MRI is tomorrow but there is no way the problem (what ever it is) can be resolved before we need to go south. My sister told me this morning I was not to attempt driving and if Kim is still sick, no way do we need to bring anything down there that might add to mom's problems. So we wait and see...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9360627

Marion, sorry Kim is feeling so rotten. One of my sons was sick for more than a week but is feeling better now thankfully!

We had no internet yesterday and it was frustrating HOWEVER I have recut all my charms and I am taking them to the mail box today. I worked on several projects and I'm enjoying my day off.

I'm the on-call person the day BEFORE Christmas, the day AFTER and the weekend after. I still have a few gifts that I ordered that have not made it here... biting my fingernails and hoping.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9360637

Thanks Pat. I guess with some much of it in the school last week, she was just bound to get it. Why do people send sick children to school? One of her classes had a student with the flu who keep coming so they made him wear a face mask...sorry, he had no business there! Why did they not just send him back home?
Off my soapbox for now. LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9360653

many hugs Marion, and Kim too...

I think folks send sick kids to school, because parents work, and they have no alternate care...school is the baby sitter,
many years ago I had a day care, and I was always getting calls "could you take my sick kid for a few days?" it was hard to say no, as I understood that they probably could not afford to take time off for ill child :( but I had to think of all of my other kids, and did not want the whole bunch to end up sick. I did however take kids for parents that worked 2nd and 3rd shifts...

hope it is not too busy for you those days Doc.!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9360656

Bad virus going around here as well, one that seems to last forever.
Your sister is correct in saying you should not drive, of course I'll be more than disappointed but your and Kim's health comes first.

Playing cut outs

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9360670

Working on some mini stockings this afternoon to put gifts in, not doing much this year as I spent plenty on Bella...LOL We don't usually do alot anyway. Next year, Gramma is definitely making Bella her Christmas dress... I just couldn't find what I wanted this year (except on Ebay for a new very girly dress, that the seller pulled at the last minute I'm assuming due to not getting as much for it as they wanted..) So unless I can get to Joanns to find something to make her a pinafore, we'll have to do with the outfits I bought for her earlier, not Christmasy, but cute dress/sweater combos. Done with the mini-rant, on to other things..

Betty, with all those curves and open spots, how are you finishing the edge? satin stitching or ? Lovely pattern by the way!

Lady M, hope Kim recovers before the holiday. My kids seemed to get ear infections, or some bug before the holidays and didn't get to enjoy the day as much. Supposed to have a warmer winter again this year, so there's probably going to be lots of 'bugs' floating around unfortunately.

If I don't say it later this week, I send a very Merry Christmas to all of you! Hoping for a few snowflakes to put me in the mood...♥

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9360679

Ohhh don't ask for snowflakes, I'm going past your area or at least Cincinnati on Friday or Saturday, sure don't want to run into those..good luck on finding fabric at Joann's..imagine shortly there will be no Christmas fabric left! I will do the applique stitch around the tree as per their suggestion. Think I may have a few inches of red to do the cardinals, hope so..

Don't want to go spend $$$ on fabric when I've finished my gifts but had a few pieces that I could make a make do hanging or runner just to try the pattern out..then I'll know if I want to make more for 2013

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9360705

Thanks for your thought for Kim...she is starting to keep some things down, mostly liquid so that helps.

Don't give up yet Betty, we might still be down there...just a little later but during the time you will be there.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9360716

I'll be flying back the 5th or the 6th
With leaving early Friday morning if not before and not pushing things, just enjoying the ride down (Darlene has a bad back-not sure how long she can stay sitting in the vehicle) I'm hoping to get there Sunday or early Monday..will be keeping in touch through the trip though so we have a better idea of where we'll be and when..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9360721

If you end up coming down 95, let me know.

I have NO plans for any time after Christmas Day so perhaps we can get together.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9360761

Not sure, think I visit with Joyce (Joycet) for coffee and drop off goodies then straight through on I-75

Always nice to take new route i.e. through North Carolina/South Carolina but with storms a posibility and the mountains think I'll stick to the safer route

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9360765

Kathy, If you have any desire to make heirloom style dresses and pinafores, (smocking & lace insertion) let me know. I have quite a few darling patterns and also instruction books for French sewing by machine. It's really easier than you think. I know I won't be doing it any more as my old eyes just can't manage it. It's time to let my patterns go. I also have a smocking pleater and all the threads. If we could spend a week-end together I could teach you.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9360824

Karen, I'd love to try it, can't be too much more difficult than some things I've learned by trial and error. Much better to have a teacher of sorts, at least to show the correct/easier way to do some of these things. (that's why I ask for experience and tips here, I can read all I want on the Internet, but it doesn't have the same effect as 1 on 1) Maybe we can arrange something Spring/early Summer? You're not really that far away.. Thanks so much! French sewing - is that french seams or all the fancy tucks, stitching, etc.?

And no, Lady M, I haven't forgotten you! Nor Helene or anyone else here that has extended invites! Still saving pennies...LOL

If I can find some red velveteen, or similar, I could make her a simple dress and top it with a white pinafore w/ruffles. Made lots of those for all my nieces years ago, easy to do and they were all passed around to friends and neighbors. So hard to come up with something for a growing newborn. Bella was swimming in most of the newborn 0-3 months stuff her second week, so by the time I got to Kohls and picked up Newborn to 8lbs size, they either shrunk slightly or she was getting bigger around LOL She hadn't gained that much weight, but to me just looked like a 'just fits' . Sewing patterns always fit differently than mfg'd clothes, so I'll have to watch the construction details and find ones that are easily adjustable. I did manage to find an Ebay seller and one online that sells Polly Flinders... wow, way more $$ than they were in the 70s!!!
By the way, M, I rec'd the pkg of veggie fabric! Thanks and big hugs to ya!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9360874

http://www.heirloomsewingforchildren.com/b-frenchsewbym.htm

This is the bible for French sewing. I have this too by the way.

In some cases you are creating a piece of fabric by sewing laces together. It's also doing lace insertion. I'm hoping we can get together as I have tons of stuff I would give you if you think you would want to do this. It's really not all that hard.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9360900

Kathy, if you can't find the velvet...try some of the nicer velours. Have resorted to that on occasion when there was no velvet. Have even made dress for the Nutcracker using the velour when I did such sewing...ions ago.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9360939

Ooooooh I have a pattern for a smocked pinafore that is delicious. Made it for one of my DGDs for her 1st b'day.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9360967

Karen, we have so many of the same likes, bought a pleater and a zillion patterns for smocking..will have to dig patterns out and see if there are some you'd like..bought it all and did dresses and christnening gown in hopes the DIL would have a girl but nope, all boys

Played at work today and got a top done with the christmas tree..trying to figure out if I can add something to it or just leave it as a big square having no purpose..fun though

Still early evening, might sit and play cut-outs for snowflakes and red cardinals..wish this cardinal fabric I have didn't have such big cardinals otherwise they would be perfect don't you think

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9360969

Sometimes you can find dresses at the thrift shops, to cut and re use.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9360970

Love that pattern Betty! So pretty. Is the tree one piece of fabric with pieces cut out?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9360984

I made several christening gowns that my mom tatted the lace for. They had smocking, pin tucks, lace insertion, entredeux, silk ribbon embroidery. Alas can't do it any more. That's why I would like to teach someone to take over all this stuff.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9360985

Yes, then I dis appliqué stitch around tree and cutouts..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9360991

Did a vest a few years ago Karen, with many of those techniques..we are thinking along same lines, would love to have someone to come over and play and teach basic sewing for company..was tempted to do big sister but

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9361008

WOW do I wish I lived closer and worked less hours!! I would love to absorb all that knowledge and craft skill ladies!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9361016

It seems to be another thing that's just dying out. Daughters weren't into it and so far neither are the grands. I started at age 8 because my Mom and Grandmother were always sewing. Now I have all these toys and nobody wants to play.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9361055

My boys tease that day after I'm gone there will be a big green garbage bin at the door! Lol. I'm sure that is exactly what they shall do.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9361058

I've used the tiny pinwale corduroy to make the boys 3 pc outfits when they were little, complete with red/white striped shirts and bowties... used the corduroy as I was on a budget and it was more like a test piece for a vest and pants. But once I got it together, the rest of the outfit just came too. Then my SILs decided that the nephew and the nieces needed outfits too, and they all got matching outfits. Too bad the ex ended up with all those pictures. We had one of all the kids together at Gma's in the outfits. My ex SILs don't seem to want to share copies at this point :-(
Off subject... Kristen just sent videos of Bella rolling over by herself, and another one of her cooing on mommy's shoulders.. warmed my heart better than the soup we had for supper!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 17, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9361091

Marion - sorry to hear Kim's still sick... and of course you can't drive! my goodness...

Betty - how are you feeling?

Karen - what a wonderful gesture! Makes me wish I had little girls to pamper with pinafores...

Kathy - those pinwale corduroy suits sound adorable! Too bad you don't have pictures.

My DD called tonight and said we're to expect a parcel in the mail tomorrow or Wed! We don't exchange gifts, and she said we have to have it before Christmas... she said I was NOT to send anything in return. What a pair of sweethearts she & our DSIL are...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9361095

I just had such a marvelous day!! First I had breakfast with a quilting friend In a small town between Oracle and Tucson. Then went on in to Tucson and took care of several errands. Then went to look at an Art Quilt exhibit. OMG!! Such wonderful and inspiring wall quilts! I've been invited to attend their monthly get together in Tucson and after seeing the amazing things they are doing I just may go and see if I can pick up some new tricks. I had to stop at the Neurology Center and ask why no one calls me back when I'm trying to make an appointment. I want to go to the Tucson Quilt Show next month and I need to have some shots in my back or I won't be able to walk around all day. Then I went shopping at several stores. Everyone I met today was happy, helpful, and polite. Even the drivers. And the traffic was horrible... I rarely run into someone who is rude or snarky. Maybe it's the weather around here. Then I stopped at my sons home and helped my DIL fix supper. Came home and gave my new kitten, Ralph, his new toys. He is a happy camper!! It's just been a great day!! I had to share. ;^) Much love to you all!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9361140

Thanks Susan. Kim is still not up to par but has managed to keep liquids done so at least she isn't getting dehydrated. Hopefully she will be able to drive me to have the MRI done in the morning. If not, son is on standby.

Gloria, sounds like a perfect day to me!

I so agree about the about the wonderful styles of sewing slowly fading away. I so wanted to learn to the Heirloom type sewing but alas there was no one to teach me. Kathy, run don't walk to get together with Karen!!!!

Need to go to bed as I have an early thirty get up time in the morning. Restless tonight...just found out a former band mom that I had worked with for years passed today.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9361143

WOW Gloria, that does sound like a GREAT day and so you have a new kitty in the house? When did Ralph adopt YOU?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9361218

Gloria - sounds like a wonderful day!!!! I'm having lunch with "the ladies" tomorrow. A "Birthday Lunch Bunch" a friend is a member of. I'm thrilled to be invited along, especially since her B-day is this week.
Need to get a couple packages to the PO this AM then need to dig holes for plants.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9361263

Great day indeed!

This week you'll all be running in a zillion directions with Christmas on our doorsteps

Looking back through the threads a well deserved rest is in order..many of your families will be thrilled with your hard work

Try to get some rest time this week, don't want you all getting sick!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9361520

Well the MRI has been done and if all goes as planned, I should have some result no later than Thursday. Kim is still not doing very well but in due course of time I think she will be just fine.

Had hoped to work on some sewing today but just to tired and came home with the knee really giving me a "fit" from the positioning for the test.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9361559

Sorry to hear you are in mega pain Marion..sitting here as well with cushion position in my lower back to easy the pain..sure going to have to bring it with me when I drive south. Kim better?

was the sewing for xmas gifts??? wish I could help you out.

Gypsi, those grands are just adorable..how proud you must be!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9361567

Glad thats over so you can move forward. Do they put your whole body in the machine or just your knee? I have to have some serious medications to be shoved in that tube

I finally started my Christmas shopping, finished it too. Yea!!!! 8 boxes of Royal Rivera pears and some homemade goodies. A small envelope for the girls, and calling it complete. Middle daughters b'day is tomorrow, talked the oldest one into taking her to St. Augustine for a bit of looking around and seeing the Christmas lights. They stay downtown at a hostile and just love it. Gives me a break as well ;-

To bad Betty isnt coming thru today, sunny and blue sky again, can feel a tiny bit of coolness in the air tho.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9361570

There is that word again... cool, not what I'm hoping for lol but, will take what is offered, after all it has to be better than here..although we have no snow and not that cold..my kids aren't thrilled, snowmobilers/skiiers and snowboarders..hear the lament from here!

Love St. Augustine, been a few years since I visited..

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9361608

not getting much sewing done, but did find some dk red pinwale corduroy, and white eyelet since I am determined to make Bella some type of dress... Made fudge, cookies and shipped to the stepdaughter in PA, stood in line at the PO for 30 minutes while people packed, unpacked, repacked stuff. Fabric washed/dried, kitchen halfway cleaned up, Christmas decorations sitting everywhere to be put up and homemade chicken and amish noodles simmering on the stove. Pile that on top of 3 hrs of restless sleep and I resemble something akin to Scrooge. Maybe I just need to break open that Baileys or the spiced rum and start over tomorrow..LOL

Here's Adrian Blaize, the newest addition to my brother's family

This message was edited Dec 18, 2012 5:19 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9361611

geez, I haven't even popped open the Baileys yet..was just thinkin' about it.. here's the pic

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9361621

Ahhhh she's just adorable..good luck with her Christmas dress!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9361628

All these babies!!!! I'm putting Kayla in overalls - may add some lace but overalls it will be!!!!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 18, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9361642

Wow, that lemon pie recipe looks like something I could eat! (I am allergic to milk.)

I so want to try to make fudge with Coconut cream and coconut oil instead of evaporated milk... if anyone has a recipe for that I have a brand new candy thermometer! (had to buy one to make my bees their fondant)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9361646

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2010/5/10/coconut-cream-health-fudge

http://www.food.com/recipe/coconut-creme-fudge-16037

here are a few links I found from Google search. I have not tried them, but they sound good.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9361647

Awww absolutely adorable. Welcome Adrian.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9361650

I'm dropping in to wish all who celebrate Christmas a very happy and healthy holiday with loved ones whoever they might be. We have just completed Hanukkah celebrations. Thankfully they are not as consuming as Christmas seems to be from this side. Geez, it seems the happy and merry would take care of itself if those of you in need find relief from aches and pains (not to mention unwell family and friends and ill tempered folk at large). We wish for the world to be a better place, especially in these sad times; it starts with us.

I hope you all will be safe in your travels for your holiday, that you find joy with those who share in your life and passions, that you are well enough to quilt all your dreams this coming year and that you stay forever young. When I read posts here I'd guess our average age is twenty-something. Especially Helene who is so adept at text-speak.

I want to add a big thank you for allowing me to share thoughts and photos with a very warm and welcoming group these past months.

Laurel

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9361661

Laurel it has been such a pleasure to have you here with this diverse group. The one thing that holds us together is our abiding respect for each other. We have no care for race, religion or any other thing that may separate one from another of us. We are just a group of people who have come to care for one another. We find common ground in our crafts but all are welcome - I guess I'm just trying to say that no thanks are needed...We are thrilled to have you here. And we hope Gypsi will come often so we can get to know her also.
Wishing all a merry, joyful and just plain wonderful holiday be it Hanukkah, Christmas, Ramadan, Kwanza or any other celebration that is meaningful to you. Sent with love...Barb
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9361677

Very exciting. New folks, babies, and everyone checking in. Laurel, Ive really enjoyed your daily pictures of your Hanukkah meals. To think, I get whooped with one meal and making cookies.

Thunder, the Santa was just beyond cute. I so want to learn applique next year.

pam

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9361701

Always so nice to have new friends in her Laurel. We all learn from each other.

Ummm about the age thing???? I'm really shoving 70 so I can skew the averages. LOL

A very Happiest Merriest what ever you celebrate my dear friends.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9361761

You've all expressed it so well that I will not add to it!
Just enjoy with friends and family, that is what it is all about..

So looking forwrd to new projects you come up with for 2013
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9361822

Barb, so eloquently stated and expresses my thought precisely. I am so happy to see all the new faces and hope they are all with us in 2013. Each person with their ideas and thought only help each of us grow!!

Karen, don't just "shove 70" come on over, the other side isn't so bad. It is what you make of it. Well honestly, today, I would say it is 90 after the MRI ordeal. It wouldn't have been so bad but they got started and decided the leg/knee was positioned correctly and had to reposition and do over. Ouch. pain and some really bad words on the way home as it hurt so badly. Pam, my very best friend, Ativan, helped me through the procedure! :-) I was only in up to my shoulders but...she was there and ready to assist. LOL

Betty, don't read this if you don't want to know the weather!! We are definitely having a cold front move in...heat finally came on for the very first time. We keep it set on 60 so you know the house is getting cooler.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9361823

Karen, we're all 20 something... maybe '+something'...like +10, +20, +30 ;-)

Thumbnail by Kizmo

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9361840

sorry you got the chills up there Marion. it was so very nice here we went for a ride on the bike, I wore a long sleeve shirt, and a leather vest. It was heavenly! been quite awhile since we had a nice ride..

Pam it is pretty easy, with the iron on stuff and machine stitching...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9361873

Gypsi, did you create that butterfly design?? it is fantastic, I have a 3 yr old grand daughter that loves butterflies.. I am working on a quilt for her, but it is nothing like that one...

Oh yeah, Hi I am known as thunder. I have three sons, one in the Army married with a daughter & baby on the way. one in the Navy, going into the officer training program, one still at home he works at the local country club... when I am not at work or here on the computer I am sewing, mostly quilts...

this is part of the quilt, we did a charm swap, and I requested purples, pinks, greens, & anything with butterflies. I work on it in between other projects.

Thumbnail by barefootT

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 18, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9361918

Happy Birthday, Adrian!!! What an adorable baby!!

Yes, we're all diverse in our looks, ages, religious beliefs, politics, and even sports affiliations (I'm NOT a sports nut!). Heck, even our physiology... I happen to be "short", and I'm sure there are those here who would tower over me lol and likely weigh 1/2 of what I do at the same time rofl!
I'm so glad we're all different... we'd be bored with each other if we were, and we're certainly NOT a boring group lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 18, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9361940

Did I miss saying Welcome Gipsi! My name is Susan, and so glad to see your grandchildren - they're adorable!
Thunder - that Santa is sooooooo sweet - I love it!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9361979

Thunder, your butterfly quilt is turning out so nice!!

I was cleaning and working in my sewing yesterday... gotta get some quilting done! I have a number clothes I'm altering for my Sis and co-worker, THEN I can get back to FUN stuff!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9362032

Thunder - you snuck in that "baby on the way" - when????

Yes, all are welcome here. I often wonder what happened to some of the ladies that were here when I 1st joined 3+ years ago. They just stopped posting.
And Stu has not stopped by recently. Wonder if his SO got a Santa assignment this year. He looks so authentic.

We need to come up with something new/different to work on/swap in 2013.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9362056

baby is due in May, I have mentioned it before...maybe different threads?? and you did not catch it. yup another one in May !!! and DIL wants me to be there for the delivery !! so hoping we can work that out !! she will be having a c-section, so we will know the date ahead of time.

I also wonder about some of the folks that were here when I first joined ? have seen a few here and there on other threads, on the rare occasion I go meandering else where. I usually just stick to the sewing threads, and Betty's Best/Worse.

Thanks Doc, I am working on Purple butterfly strips now...and of course agonizing over how to do the reverse!!!
I am thinking I might just see if I can still get some more of the butterfly fabrics and do the back in a few big pieces???

well we have done...towels, pot holders, bags and blocks...and wasn't there a place mat swap??? charms and fatquarters have been swapped...what about pincushions? lots of free patterns out there ... it is too early to think... but I am sure we can come up with something.

Y'all have a great day, ans sew something wonderful !!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9362066

Maybe we need to find another block that looks difficult and turns out to be more fun than we ever thought. Whew!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9362135

I really should be doing something else besides surfing... but these were just too cool to not check out this morning. A montage of different tree patterns done on another forum led to some interesting blocks. Then from there, found a link to a FB page which is so cool.., then finally went back and ordered the PP/applique tree pattern, and the Gingko tree looks easy enough to figure out... yep, need to get off here for sure!

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2010/12/tree-wrapup.html

http://katrinastutorials.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Christmas-At-Heart/163369236124?ref=ts

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 19, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9362151

Great links, thank you!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012

Post #9362157

Like those ornaments. And there is time to try a couple before Christmas!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9362180

KATHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am yelling at you. I just don't need another few websites to get me into more trouble. LOL Must confess, I do like them and the ornaments are so pretty. Then again, if all of you weren't posting sites like that, I would be getting bored or maybe...more accomplished. Think?

We are a little on the chilly side this morning but loving every minute of it!! Looks like we might not be going down to see mom until after Christmas. Kim had a horrible night last night and midnight found me doing a load of laundry. I can't remember when she has been quite this sick.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9362279

Love those ornaments too, they look easy to do.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9362286

Might be time for Kim to seek medical help. Sometimes these things just don't go away by themselves. Sure hope she's better soon.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 19, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9362291

I'm with Karen, wouldn't hurt to have the doctor check her out and give her strong meds otherwise she'll be in bed for christmas and we wouldn't want that!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9362312

glad you all liked them, I like the easy stuff for last minute ideas. Easy to mail off, too, instead of Christmas cars. Most of our family stopped sending/giving cards years ago, although when we get the chance to get together, seems like my SIL (who ALWAYS insists no gift-giving) ends up doing little things like honey from their hive, little crafty things.. Maybe I can sneak a couple of these to give her... Good project to take to shut-ins and nursing homes, too.
Marion... since you aren't going too far due to your knee, I thought you'd like something new to do..LOL
News report last week cited the new strain of flu going around as a new super bug, but the flu vaccine of this year was supposed to be able to cover it. Interestingly enough, they 'guesstimate' which strain of flu MAY be next year's, by following trends of past infections, and possibilities of which strain could reappear, then do their vaccines from there. I always wondered how the scientists came up with vaccines that always seem to be just the thing for the new super bug of the year, every year...
I agree, Kim needs to be checked out, don't want her to get dehydrated..
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9362372

Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do. I really enjoyed my kidnapping by my sister, and am so glad that she will come here after her week at her timeshare at Sea World. (Hilton). She and her husband will go with us to Vero Beach to have Christmas with our daughter and her family. Jack's brother and his wife will go too, so it will be a real "family" day.

Welcome to all new comers, and please seek medical attention if you are ill for more than three days! I have enjoyed seeing all your wonderful projects. I am in the middle of making microwave caramel corn and catching up between steps. For anyone traveling, be safe. Betty if you get within a holler of Cocoa Beach give me a call, maybe we could arrange a get together. Gotta go, next step is waiting.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9362420

I had my flu shot yesterday when one of the clients didn't show up for their appointment. Supervision starts soon but I wanted to drop in and say Howdy.

You know, the block I NEVER would have tried was the one that is foundation pieced and crazy quilt. I LOVEd that one and did 9 more for me. Of course I NEVER got the quilt finished but there is hope for me!

Who was it asking for Barbie doll patterns? Contact me, I bought several and maybe we can find a way for me to share with you some you want.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9362425

You know? Looking at it, I think that tree quilt might be fun. We could each decide on the block we wanted to make and send that to all the others. I like the look of all the different trees. Maybe like next summer?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9362481

Thanks everyone, we called to make an appointment for Kim but ended up talking with her nurse. She said Tally is full of this stomach virus and to have Kim eat dry toast, bananas, applesauce and drink plenty of Gatorade. If she thinks she can keep them down I am to bake or boil some potatoes for her as well as just plain rice. Unless she starts running a fever above 100, the nurse said there really isn't much they can do. Keep her from becoming dehydrated is about all for now. So we will do the above and hope it clears up soon.

I did manage to drive to the near by Walmart to get more Gatorade but boy! what a challenge that was...thankfully no traffic so I took it slow and easy. Make me realize even more that I can not drive the 7 hours down to see mom. Waiting on Kim to get better.

Thanks Kathy, I might have to try some of those things on the link...starting to get "stir" crazy with this limited ability.

Glad to see you posting Mittsy.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9362559

marion, Kim should only drink fluids in small amounts. Frequently, but small amounts. Large amounts of fluid can trigger further gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhea and vomiting) in a patient with viral (or other) gastroenteritis. She should try to go with clear fluids only for twelve to twenty four hours until her stomach calms down. Then introduce starch based foods such as toast, rice or potatoes for calories and then bananas. The bananas are for potassium replacement which is important when you have a gastrointestinal illness. Then applesauce because it is low fiber. The sodium/potassium supplements in Gatorade may be upsetting.See if she tolerates water for at least eight hours and then move up slowly. A BRAT (bananas, rice applesauce & toast) diet is standard for gastro illnesses.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9362570

Hello, all and welcome to newbies

My DD Heidi had this right after TG, VS, did exactly what Laurel mentioned, got to rest that stomach and get the lining less inflamed, Don't even drink too much - succing on ice cubes - in the beginning, then if better do BRAT and slowly add soft boiled egg for protein. Got to consider the intestines, they need to wake up after shock of Virus shut down.

Heidi was bad too, achy and all, but since this is a weakness she has, knew exactly what to do. Very cathy thing, it is.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9362572

I love the ricky tims quilt !!! and I saw the Santa baby one the other day and thought that was cute too!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 19, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9362588

Hi - remind this poor brain of mine, Marion - does Kim have a cold, or flu?
The "treatment" of food sounds like a flu thing...
If it's for a cold, then I should do this too, cuz I just came down with a doozy of a head cold... hence the "poor brain" comment...
oh wait... think Laurel is saying it's the flu?
Poor Kim...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9362597

People are well intentioned in their efforts to get food down patients with gastro illness. Consider the first goal is to make sure the patient does not become dehydrated. The second is to rest the GI tract. Reintroduction of food is the last goal. Well meaning family/care providers often push solid food too soon. Most of us can use a couple of days off feed. The less of everything that goes into the stomach, and GI tract, the faster and better off the patient will be until the inflammation settles.

Susan, this is neither a cold or flu. There is really no such thing as "stomach flu". You either have a gastrointestinal virus, something bacterial, or a parasite. A virus is most common. Flu is flu and there is also no such thing as back flu or head flu or chest flu. If you have flu you have a seriously raging temperature for many days. Think mid-hundreds for five or more days. Cold symptoms and other viral disease may make you feel like death but those miseries are not flu. That is why susceptible populations should get flu vax.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 19, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9362602

Never thought of a "head flu" but do know about chest & back flu...

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

December 19, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9362619

Wow I have missed so much lately. Everything is so preety and creative. And all the babies so cute too. Congrats on the new ones to come also. Feel better to all under the weather. Happy Holidays Everyone!!!!!
Cher

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9362651

beware...of those links...I just spent 2 hours going from links to links to links...got some very interesting tips, and found a few nifty patterns...

Thanks Kiz...and I mean that nicely, not sarcastically LOL ( in this case, lots of love! )

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9362658

OHhhhhhhh maybe I should NOT go look tonight, I have things to do!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012

Post #9362659

you're welcome... and I'm laughing right along with you! Only because I've checked out a link that someone posted, then spent waaay too long hitting other links, saving pics and patterns, eventually ordering something I really didn't need at the time, then look at the clock and discover it's almost time for Hubby to be home and I'm still in my jammies...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012

Post #9362661

Psst... Pat... just one looky-see won't hurt...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9362665

Kathy, YOU are mean LOL... don't you CARE that I have things to do??? (like read my email and do a little sewing!!!)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9362668

multi-task, multi-task..LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 19, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9362700

lol multi-task... hmmmmmmmmmm how does one do that when one's obsessing on the computer... lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9362852

Good thing I'm done. Blizzard has started. Was supposed to start around 7, by then we already had 2 inches. Supposed to get up to 14. Not gonna be a happy camper if I'm stuck here all alone for Christmas.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 20, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9362863

Drats Karen, not good..I'm suppose to leave tomorrow morning for Florida, don't get off work till 4:30 and then an hour drive home (further north) almost tempted to leave if it hasn't already started to get at least on USA side..

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9362879

Might be a good idea Betty.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012

Post #9362893

Oh no - a blizzard!!!!!
But it will be pretty to look at!!!! Your friends down South would love to see pics of snow.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9362929

the storm is headed this way. rain first then changing to snow.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9362939

Ya we got snow hard yesterday, coming down horitonzal for a while!! then hard winds and it's gone this morning.

My stubborn husband just HAD to go to a Court of Honor for the Boy Scouts yesterday evening. The church parking lot of crowded (something else going on at the same time) and he had to park WAY out there... and he fell. He is just NOT safe on snow or ice, scares me to death. He'll be a hurting unit today!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012

Post #9362940

Laurel, thank you for the comments above. I guess trying to keep things shorter I failed to mention she has started out with the sucking of ice cubes/chips. Yes, I was told to add thing back slowly to her diet. Today she appears to be much better, no problems during the night but she is weak. I guess that is to be expected.

Looks like we will be spending Christmas at home this year. Kim isn't up to the 7 hour drive and I have just found out I have 3 torn ligaments in my knee. Fun and games!!

Kathy, good thing I really like you gal!!!! That link will be the downfall of me yet...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012

Post #9362942

Pat I am sorry to hear about the fall. I can agree with you about being scared. Hope he is doing okay today.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9362961

be safe on your trip South, Betty, but have a wonderful visit! You too, Karen! I personally love snow, but don't have to drive in it daily anymore. We may get a dusting here before Christmas, but here along the river you just never know..
Hubby just called from work, says he may be coming home after his meeting: chills, nausea, etc... we may not be going to IN after all :-((

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9362964

no, Marion... you LOVE me! ...LOL
3 torn ligaments??? wow, that's gonna take some healing. Glad Kim is doing better, did she get the cell video of Bella that I sent?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9362989

Oh Marion - no wonder it hurts. Maybe I need to head your way late part of next week & bring you some fabric!!!!

Frozen peas & corn make fantastic ice packs!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9363000

LOL Yes Kathy, you are right I do love you...always wanted more sisters! Still...sometimes I need to do work and not check out quilting links. :-)

Did you send the video recently? She probably hasn't even checked her phone..a clue to how bad she feels. Doing better today so far, now very weak but atleast she is able to keep some things down.

Funny you should say that Jean, as that is precisely what the nurse said that called this morning. Waiting to hear when they get me an appointment with the Ortho doc. YES, it hurts so bad at time I would gladly have it removed above the knee to get some relief...Vicodin doesn't always do the job. LOL, ah, ah, more fabric? I just received a couple of packets from some sales...my present to me!

Using packets for ice packs as someone had suggested that earlier. Fantastic job!

Really this is just an inconvience, nothing more, as there are so many others who have so much worse pain to deal with right now.
This can be repaired unlike those who lost such precious children and members of their families this week.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2012 12:02 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9363056

Marion, I sent it earlier this week. I know Kristen was having problems getting some of the texts I was sending to her, so it's possible it didn't even go thru.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9363082

Nope she didn't get it...she checked for me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9363202

I was pretty embarrassed this morning... all of a sudden sicker than dog and puking in my garbage can!!! (did I mention it was in front of a client?? LOL) Ya..

I felt OK within another 2 hours and I'm grateful. I even ate lunch and feel OK. I told my co-worker I figured it out. I am having the morning sickness that she has somehow totally bypassed!! (she's 4 months PG). What are friends for right??
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9363237

Well if the former President Bush, Sr. can puke in front of all the world dignataries, then it is okay for you to do so in front of a client. Glad you are feeling much better. Ah, that is carrying friendship a "wee" bit to far. LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9363270

Glad your OK now Pat. I got your charm squares today, thanks for the beautiful fabrics!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9363316

I got a package today too Pat. Thank you so muich!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9363444

Malena keeps making funny noises and saying she is gonna be sick...and when she is asked if she would like *xyz* whatever, for a snack she makes noises and says I think that will really make me sick!!!! Her poor Momma is having a tough go round with the morning ( all day ) sickness :(

I was that way with my 2nd...don't know how I ever gained an ounce let alone #'s

If you northerners are getting snow for the rain we are getting ??!! Yikes !!! it is nasty. blowin like crazy, and supposed to be very very cold late tonight !!!

travel safe every one
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 20, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9363476

I just have to pop in and out when I can. I run a small business, a mini-farm some days, and sewing is something I dream of doing except for maybe 14 days out of the year. Hopefully part of those 14 will be between now and christmas. I have the experience of having made all my children's clothes for about 10 years, and most for about 15 years. So I'm competent and can drop out of a project and drop back in and still know what I am doing. My unfinished project collection is down to maybe 2 quilts, plus a top that needs backing. Cleaning up the 20 year fabric backstock.

Kizmo, your christmas trees made of the sea shell and the leaf shapes are just inspiring. One day when I have time.
I'm 20 + 33, and stay busy.

I designed the butterflies on my quilt center from a swallowtail that visits my lantana every year. Interestingly enough, I could not find a photo of that exact species anywhere on the internet, he (or she) probably both, are close to a tiger swallowtail butterfly, but not exact. And I haven't gotten a great photo of this butterfly, just a few looks a year and a couple of distant shots.

My secret weapon for applique is clear nail polish on the edge, I didn't have enough iron on for this stuff, too pricey, so I just pressed and loosely pinned and machine zigzagged the edge (after the polish dried).
The black on the butterfly is some black velvet scrap - polyester, doesn't bleed.

I want to try the fudge recipes, will check out the recipe and make grocery list for in the morning.

At the moment I'm feeding my fish. One of my tank bred clowns has discovered the anemones. It is quite exciting, and has taken 4 months to find it, after I bought the baby clownfish.
And I'm breeding albino long fin bristle nose plecos in my freshwater aquarium... Ahem. yes. and then there are the bees. So I will probably be on rather more infrequently than most visitors, but hopefully more often than the last time. Apparently I joined several years ago, because when I tried to join my email address was already in the system.

My gardens are perennial, to feed the bees and hummingbirds, and last night before the front I cleaned out Lowes (50% off to 75% off on shrubs and vines beating the freeze)

I have totally strayed from the thread. I'm walking one of my daughters through using a rolled hem foot by phone, as I don't drive at night if I can avoid it, and she doesn't want to drive out.

Thumbnail by Gypsi   Thumbnail by Gypsi         

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9363493

Gypsi, I love clownfish! So pretty! I wonder if the X could identify the butterfly. Probably - but I won't be contacting him!!

Sounds like you "keep busy!"

There should be lots of envelopes arriving soon and then the 2nd wave within a day or two! LOL

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9363498

Pat, I got an envelope from you today too! thank you.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 20, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9363542

oh, you do one of those send a quilt square get a quilt square things?

(I think my chicken forum has one but I never had the time to get involved, or when I had time, the game had been on for awhile)

Still it's pretty neat. Something to look forward to if I ever retire.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9363548

Oh Gypsi, we swap ALL kinds of things!! LOL we've traded "jelly roll" strips, charms and Yes, quilt blocks in every conceivable type. The hostess chooses the block. The particpants choose colors and BLOCKS, particpants choose ONLY color on & on!! We're always cooking up another idea to try.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9363567

Pat I'll bet I got your envelope too but NOT going to the mailbox in this blizzard.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9363639

Morning all. Was 54 at 6AM so I'm glad I didn't zip up the greenhouse last evening. Plan to get the boppee covers made today. Also need to finish putting down mulch. I need a couple items from JoAnn's but hopefully I won't NEED them till late next week. Don't feel like being out with the crazies.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9363641

43 here, but no cold rain at least. Looks like it is only going down to 34 tonight, not 30, as they said yesterday. That is great news, as I wont have to bring in the plants, with a few exceptions.

Wonder if Betty made it to the US side last night

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9363644

She said she made it, but is raining pretty good this morning!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9363672

Not raining here. It's actually nearly 12" of snow. It's windy too so not so high on the porch rail. I almost didn't get my doors open and will have to go clear some soon before the doors are blocked.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2012

Post #9363705

since I love snow, I'll say how beautiful that pic is, Karen! But be careful shoveling that off, don't want Hubby to find you covered with snow on the porch... Windy and rainy here all night, dusting of snow this morning. Philip went back to work this morning, albeit late, but slept all night and felt much better this morning. I was about to call the kids and tell them we weren't coming this weekend... still waiting to see how he feels when he gets home today then I'll know for sure. Boy, whatever this bug is, it sure is making it's rounds!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9363737

Love the snow picture, but so glad it is not down here! Please be careful when you go out to shovel.
Kathy, glad to hear he is feeling better! Sure hope you get to make your trip!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9363890

This is a free pattern from my LQS. I think it's a pretty way to use up some of those strips.

http://www.quiltnbee.com/uploads/File/CuzcoQuiltPDF.pd

This link says page not available but click on free pattern button on the left and it goes right there.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 2:31 PM

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9363992

30 and 2" of snow.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9364282

like the way those strips are arranged, Karen! Thanks for posting!
Jumper, we got snow here too, although not as much. Calling for more tomorrow, but we're supposed to leave for IN so hopefully not too much!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9364365

Here you go again Kathy!!! I like the pattern so won't complain to loudly...:-)

In the 30s this morning and very windy still. Had some really big dead limbs come down during the night. One is about 10" in diameter and thankfully just missed the corner of the carport. Otherwise I might have had some nasty damage.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9364454

Glad it missed Marion!!! Be safe through those winds! We are getting them this afternoon again after having them all day yesterday... No damage here but blustery. Take care...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9364465

Still in the mid-40s here. The river really helps keep us warm. Very calm out right now.
Got my crust dough made last evening. Will be making my nut cups this AM. Then a batch of Pizelles. Then I can mop up the kitchen floor & start putting all the backing ingredients away.

My printer is out of paper so I"m going to have to zip to WalMart today/tomorrow. And forgot to pick up cat food yesterday when I was out.

Hope to get out to the Studio & make more triangles.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9364496

Let me start this by saying "I am not a person who bakes".

OK, here’s a good chuckle for you……………………….
Made the crust for my Nut Cups last evening. It has to be chilled before handling. I thought it was a bit soft but figured it would get stiffer overnite. Got it out this AM and it was still way too soft. So I get the recipe back out and, Yes, I followed it. Then it dawned on me, a stick of butter is ½ cup NOT ¼ cup. (This also explains why my chocolate cookies turned out the way they did. Very tasty but more like a chocolate cake not cookies.) So I had used 2X as much butter. And the only ingredients are cream cheese, butter, and flour. And I had made 3 batches and each makes 24 cups.

Well, I have enough cream cheese and flour, nuts & brown sugar for the filling. So now I’m going to have 6 batches, not 3. Luckily they freeze very well.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9364538

Sounds like something I do Jean and I do it far too often lately!!!!! Freeze them for when the ladies come to FL!!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9364642

Cant wait to start sewing again!!!
In the meantime, I went out early to Ulta, bought all the vita bath gift sets and aloe sock I could get my hands on, then went and got my grater at bed bath and beyond ( I had a baking snafu last night with zest). Then thought I needed to eat before baking all day and evening, so we went to cracker barrel, they were so crowded they were over fire code inside, but since I was done with the shopping, we waited, got our food fast and it was yummy, THEN I look up and there was this big lady, with her hair on her head and her hand on her hip, and she was charging into the kitchen, they kept escorting her out and told her the manager would be there soon. I knew right away she was one of those wanted to skip on the bill. Sure enough, she kept carrying on like a fool, the manager wasnt having any of it, I mean they had eaten every last bit of food on their table, but she would not stop. Well, I as furious when he took her bill to shut her up. I proceeded to find out who had waited on her table, they had just been put thru sheer hell and also would not get a tip. Seems the woman had ordered a boat load of grits, and when the bill came, she thought she should not have to pay for the grits, she thought they were free. The waiter told her HE would pay for them, the manager told her he would take the grits off her bill...NOOOOOOOOOO, the lady would have none of it, she came in knowing she wasnt going to pay and darn sure, she got away with it. By then, I was livid ( inside only, I was smiling and Christmas cheer outwardly). I went down to the cash machine and got some cash out, took it back, and gave the waiter his more than well deserved tip. If nothing else, I sure felt better.
If this had been the first time I had seen something like this, it would have just been interesting, but I see it to much, and at least this time I feel a little better about helping the poor little waiter.
Wew...thanks girls, I needed to get that out...on to baking.
I did take I-75 from the shopping down to eat, thought about Betty, and SO hoped she was traveling in this beautiful sunny, blue skyed weather. She will be coming right down 75.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2012 1:56 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9364654

And Betty will be thinking we are looney for talking about it being COLD!!!

I'm watching Ice Age part 2, Meltdown. Just love the little critters, especially Draco the Saber Tooth Tiger who is afraid of water

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9364698

I see that all too often as well, someone order, eat all of it, then find something to pick on, and not pay the bill! Really makes me sad they have no manners at all!
Jean, I have done that too, your not alone! Just get a bunch of small boxes, go to the address exchange, and get our address'... ^_^
How are you doing on all those triangles?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9364751

Pam, sounds like you did a great job of "taking care of it" so you and the waiter both felt better. Trying to squash negative feelings is too energy draining, I admire the way you dealt with it. I'm sure you saved the waiter's day, waiter now knows others saw thru the farce AND got a well deserved tip.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9364769

For the triangles - It's called "tube piecing". You sew 2 strips of fabric together along both long edges to make a tube. Then you cut the triangles using 1 sewing line as the seam of the HST. Makes a perfect HST every time. There is a special ruler that goes with the technique but, any ruler can be used, would just need to mark the line with a piece of tape.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9364771

That's what it is all about with us DGers!!! We see something we can do something about and we do it. I'm very proud of your actions Pam...The hard part of something like that for me is keeping my mouth shut. I have tendency sometimes to say exactly what I feel and it isn't always nice and can be sarcastic...as it would have been to that woman. There just is not any reason to be that way except greed.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9364772

Kudos to you Pam!!! What a wonderful jester at Christmas. Sadly it is happening more and more...you wouldn't believe how much at the Cracker Barrel near where my mom is in the nursing home. You can almost watch and decided who is going to do something like that! Sad thing is, my sister and I have following some out who have just escaped paying a bill only to see them get into a brand new car and drive away! What gives? Off my soap box. I have had managers offer to comp a meal if it took a long time to be served; however, I just can't even do it then. They get busy just like every one else does.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9364776

Glad there are others who feel as i do Marion. I would have gotten up and given the waiter a hug and Norm probably would have offered to pay the bill.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9364878

Just got back from my new Dr, who gave me results of all the tests he sent me for. All I can say is Thank You, New Dr!! I didn't realize how lax my old Dr was... and how much he missed.
1. No prob on mammogram
2. No prob on pap smear
3. No prob on my iron (although the lab didn't send any other blood tests back to my Dr and he'll research that)
4. No prob on my colon cancer test
5. however... I do have osteopenia, which is a forerunner for osteoporosis... This is something my previous Dr didn't check for, and he knows I sprained my knee 2 1/2 years ago and was in walking pain - it wasn't healing.
There is no treatment for it, but to take massive doses of Vitamin D (4,000 IU/day).
My Dr said it's not "written in stone" that this will lead to osteoporosis, but that taking Vit D and staying active is going to help.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9364912

thought I'd pop in here quick before I get busy again. I think I mentioned I was having a problem finding Annabella a dress for Christmas? Anyway, I just decided to bite the bullet and make whatever I could in the last few days.. just hope it fits her, otherwise she'll have it for Valentines Day! LOL My camera is giving me fits, so pardon the amateur

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo         

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9364940

Just adorable Kathy, betting she looks like an angel in it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9364955

Kathy - that is SO Adorable!! I'd love to see a pic of her in the finished dress!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9364962

btw - pretty much over my cold (which started last Wed...) because of the Cold FX I take. It's an awesome immune booster!! It's only Saturday, and my cold went from my head, to my chest and is basically GONE.
I'm going to be juuuuuust fine for Christmas Day dinner at our home!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9364981

That's wonderful Susan...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9365058

Glad your feeling better. Enjoy that dinner!

If I didnt know better, I would say Betty came thru and left us some cold weather. Already 37 and suppose to get down to 29. Boy am I glad I dont have to go out in the a.m. I dont think she could have made it this far tho, looks like she will feel at home hen she does get here. The real bummer is, it looks rainy next week. I wanted her to get the sun and blue skies. I sure dont want to drive 6 hours in the rain Tuesday. Whatever it takes tho!!

Broke my cardinal rule and tried new cookie recipes in the midst of a ton to do, and a hard deadline. As usual, it wasted a ton of time and they went in the trash. That leaves no lemon cookie recipe for Jean .

Heater running running running...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is what I hear ;-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9365098

Kathy, I can see all the love that went into the dress...yes indeed, pictures please. I love the dress.

Good news Susan on all the doc reports.

Burrr, it is cold here now and nope, our heater hasn't come on yet. Might need to check and see if it is even turned on...duh!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9365101

The pattern also shows options for a pinafore look, with layered organza or whatever and hand embroidery. So cute, but my needle skills need honed before I attempt something like that. Some of the pieces were marked 3/8" seams, some weren't. very confusing to me, but it all matched up well. Definitely need a serger! Next on the list are overalls and a jumper to wear with her onesies. Need to start looking for patterns. Already planning on making her first apron so she can help Grammy with the christmas cookies...LOL

Everyone have a Merry Christmas! Leaving tomorrow to be gone for about a week, will send/post pics when I can!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9365104

Serger is a must!! Travel safely please and Merry Christmas.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9365110

I ended up with 2 sergers!!! I bought one used years ago and my sis saw one at her neighbor's yard sale that had NEV ER been used!! She bought it for me and ya, I kept both. I keep them both threaded. One in black and one in natural. I don't really sew much that I need to match the threads.

Good Doc report!

Sorry about your cookie failure Pam. I threw out a whole batch of ginger bread men dough. I baked one pan and didn't like them. My friend who requested them said they were fine! (YUK)

Safe travels to all.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9365132

lol gotta tell ya this one...
My DD sent a tin of gingerbread men... she got the cutters after Christmas last year, while we were out shopping (I was visiting Winnipeg at the time).
Well... the cutters were gingerbread men alright, but they were missing body parts... on purpose!! One had one arm missing, another a leg, and yet another was missing a head (ABC - already been chewed) LOL Too funny!! I'd forgotten the "commando cutters" until I saw the cookies and Michelle reminded me that they were made that way on purpose LOL
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 22, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9365177

Wow - the weather here is going to be a balmy 70 tomorrow - it's warm tonight too, about 59 at 10 pm, then we get a winter storm starting with a near freeze tomorrow night and not improving from there.

Owing to my dissatisfaction with both my central heat (electric) and my electric bill, I had an old woodstove I refinished installed in summer of 2011. In between getting my shrubs and stuff that I bought in the ground tomorrow, (or leave in green house if I don't) I've got to get some wood piled inside the house and garage for the next few days of very cold weather.

But my daughter might come out tomorrow and sew. We shall see.

That is an adorable baby dress Kizmo! I haven't the time and dedication for the details, but it is so gorgeous when it is finished! Having tried it once 20 years ago...

I am making an easy bathrobe for my 2 year old granddaughter. I made a pattern (this is soooo easy), just haven't cut it yet, I've been too tired to sew in the evening the last couple of night.s

The triangle tube cutting idea is excellent. Those are for equilateral triagles? or any specific angle size?

I strip quilt 8 pointed stars, sewing the colors together in same width strips, then cutting at a 45 degree angle. But triangles do give me fits.

Hope all stay well and if I don't get time to get online before hand, merry Christmas or happy holidays or whatever you celebrate.

Gypsi

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9365224

Merry Christmas !! My sister got her package, and she is just thrilled with the Santa Dresden :) she said it made her cry he is sew beautiful...I sure did not want to make her cry, but I knew she would love it, and as soon as I saw the pattern I knew I had to make it for her.

Sailor boy got in yesterday, came to see me at work ^_^
I probably won't be doing any sewing today or tomorrow, Butttttt I will most likely be doing some on Christmas!! He said he has something for me to fix for him... He has a friend with a new baby, I am waiting for him to ask me to make a quilt for her, as I made one for her big brother.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9365231

Kathy, that little dress is adorable! You did a great job on it, and yes, post pictures of her wearing it if you can!
Looks like everyone is busy doing last minute sewing, and or baking for the holidays. I made another batch of Bailey's Irish cream fudge last night, my son and family will be here before noon for their early Christmas.
I too wish you all a very Merry Christmas!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9365233

Thunder got an early Christmas present!!!! That is wonderful.
My Serger seized up again last week. Have had it looked at & they can't figure out why it happens. It is almost 20 y/o so perhaps I do need a replacement one.

I need to get clothes on & head to HD for some more paint and grocery store for cat food (on sale this week). Need to get a coat on the siding before we put it up. Easier than having to sit on the ground & paint it after it is on. Since I doubt he will get here before Thur (rain Wed) that gives me plenty of time to do the painting.

The tube method is just for HST, so right angles.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9365304

Hick, yeap LK made fudge...:-). Oh my but I do love my Bailey's.

Well this part of the sunshine state woke up to mid 20s reading on the deck. Some ice in a small terra cotta saucer but so far things look okay. Of course, it will be a couple of days before any damage will be noticeable.

Might sew a little today...depends if knee will allow that movement. Not good about the serger seizing up Jean. I don't think I could live without mine very long. Hope it is resolved soon.

Okay, I am sending a HUGE Christmas thank you to someone (not sure which thread they are on) for the lovely gift subscription for another year of DG. If you are the wonderful person, then thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! Such a wonderful, unexpected surprise.

Off to fill my coffee cup again.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9365346

I spent a couple hours in Lowes this AM - better than any candy store!!!!! Love the markdowns on tools!!!! And they had a large selection of seasonal flags all 1/2 off.

We had a bit of frost on the grass but not a freeze. Going 10 mi inland to Lowes there was a lot more frost and it was a bit chillier out there.

I plan to spend the afternoon painting the Studio trim. Making use of a warmer & sunny day,
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9365391

Oh I do agree about Lowe's!!! Kim said she can always find me either at Lowes, Joannes or Tallahassee Nurseries. What else does a person need?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9365458

I've told them they need to put in a small grocery section. Could be 1 stop shopping!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9365503

We had 2 second hand materials shops... one funded Habitat for Humanity and the other was for a drug & alcohol rehab program, this was back in Boise, IDaho. We have a Habitat for Humanity store in Richland, (an hour away). I like them EVEN better than Lowes & Home Depo. It's a lot cheaper and you never know what you will find.

I just bought a beautiful sheet of laminate counter top in "Malachite" look-alike for $25. That was worth well over $100. Most of our remodeling materials for the place in Boise were from either those 2 stores or craigslist.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 23, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9365517

Waving from Sunny Florida!!

Just finished unpacking, picked up groceries, have a new quilting magazine to lurk through, saw a few patterns I just have to make, bought a twister Christmas stocking pattern, will drop into Joann's tomorrow in hopes of getting Christmas fabric for them..early start doesn't hurt, bet you want to slap me silly saying such things!!

Just knew I should have found room for that sewing machine..might be the time to go shopping for a new one but hard when I'm flying back.

Susan great results..Marion, sending hugs

Kathy, what an excellent job..you must have been sewing overtime

Thunder, got gas in wildwood this morning, see me wave??

Sitting here already bored..Christmas behind me, family thrilled with their gifts and not a thing to do..did buy twister Christmas stocking pattern, sure hope Joann's has Christmas fabric left for stock..before I left I ordered twister floral, twister tree so lots to pre buy fabric for..hint..maybe some of you should as well. Lol

Magazine I just bought is Best Fat Quarter Quilts. In it it has 15 throws and bed quilts, 6 ways to decorate and 6 kids quilts...am sure you all have the magazine already, I'm in love with the lemon slice table runner/placemats, my mamma's garden and spinning logs..actually it's one of those books you want to do them all!

Guess you are all in a dither, making sure all is ready..And I will just bet some are still just a sew'ing

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 23, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9365518

We have several in my neck ofthe woods , love browsing...commercial look alike linoleum for my workroom came from there..about 1/4 the cost!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9365527

Betty - welcome to FL!!!! You could buy a machine & leave it here till you come back down in the Spring to drive back north. Should have come by here & grabbed one of mine to use during your stay. And picked up Christmas fabric at the same time!!!!

So I got 2 coats on the siding - 4 - 4X8 sheets - then came in & swept, steam mopped, and polished the hard floors. Then the vacuum came out for the bit of carpeting. Not sure how 3 cats can put out so much fur & not be naked. But the house is now clean for Christmas - and a day early!!!!

If my handiman does not come by tomorrow AM, guess I'll have to go out & sew.

I ordered a bolt of Frog fabric today - http://www.troy-corp.com/itm/baaaaav/370.shtml. If anyone would like a piece, let me know via d-mail and I'll send pricing info.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 8:47 PM

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9365564

Pat, my sis is in Richland.

in the 30's today.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9365608

Thea - where are you? I miss seeing you post dear friend...Hope all is well.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9365871

Yesterday I forgot to take my turkey out of the freezer. I was even in there looking for something and moved the turkey. So took it out this AM and have it sitting in a sink in water. So we may have our Christmas dinner on Wed!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9365876

Oh, well. You know you wanted a rib roast. Right? Maybe turkey for New Year's.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9365880

LOL...welcome to my world. I too forgot t take out the meat to defrost, just printed out a honey baked ham coupon. Guess it wili be turkey for new years with black eyed peas cooked with some of the ham. Got the oven heating up, got to cook the rest of the cookies. Also ned to get to publix, the bank and to gas up the car, then home to box up the cookies and ambrosia. Wrap a couple of present and prepare envelopes. Creamed chicken in pattyshells for dinner, my daughter thats coming home today favorite. I cooked the chicken already night before last in the crockpot to get that out of the way. Off to church and then pack up the car. AHHH the end is in sight. Praying for a safe trip tomorrow and then HOME...Home to my mundane and glorious routine and some good ole sewing.

Sending joyus wishes and the Hallelujah chorus to everyone ( Ive listend to every you tube version there is, started with the flash mob at the mall thats a couple years old...love it). Hope to see you back tomorrow night and eveyone is safe and sound

Blessings
Pam
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9365883

Laurel, peace and blessings to you as well. I know youve had your holiday, but peace and goodwill is always appropriate, and I send it to you.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9365916

As do I. May we all have a wonderful holiday season and to those so inclined - I wish you the merriest of Christmases - and to all I wish for joy, health and peace in the New Year...
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 24, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9365970

You all driving be safe. I am putting the "emergency ham" in a crockpot this morning. One of my twins is cooking dinner tomorrow, her first time, so the mom bailout plan is have a cooked ham, leave it at home if daughters turns out good.

still have a bathrobe to make for my 2 year old granddaughter. Picked up the goat yesterday, did the reef tank (It needed it bad), walked dogs, and didn't get my firewood ready for the cold front. Need to get the greenhouse ready for incoming chickens on Wednesday, their coop will be too cold and I am not running out there to tend them. (only 5 hens, I built a chicken pen under the plant shelf when I had the greenhouse built, after the winter of 2010 - 2011 and freezing water)

well, Happy Yule, Merry Christmas, Happy late Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa. And a more peaceful and hopeful new year to us all.

Gypsi
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9365971

Having a rib roast at this house...Kim remembered to take it out this morning and put into the fridge. Thank goodness for a daughter who is thinking. In fact, I believe Kim will be doing the dinner this years as she is trying to keep me of this knee.

Laurel, I join the others with best wishes and a Happy Holiday, Merry Christmas to the rest of our group. I sew look forward to more chat and friendship in the coming 2013.

For all who are travel be safe.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012

Post #9365984

Rib roast...yum. Wish I could cook a good one.

I was schooled this morning in parchment paper and cookie sheets. Ive been using baking pans with sides but decided to speed things up I would get the big cookie and a half size regular sheet pans out. Well, darned if that parchment didnt just slide right off like nobodies business, when I went to take them out and I spent my time cleaning warm cookie dough out of the oven an off the door. Im guessing you can guess I didnt let that go without a word or two. Made some more dough, went out and got the ham and did the bank, now back to try out the new dough and baking pans with sides!!!!

That i so neat about the back up ham, sounds just like something I would do. Got to cover all bases and keep things happy. Its not like it ill go to waste.

Another lesson I learned, 72 navels is alot to peel ;-). People just seem to love the fresh ambrosia tho, thank goodness for Wards and finally finding some good navels. The ones that come in after this cold nap should be really good.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9366045

Thanks to all for the well wishes. I am thinking of you today as you are bustling around with last minute preparations. Once more I want to wish you holidays filled with peace and joy. I know how hard many of you have worked to share handmade creations with family, friends and those in need. You all have very generous hearts. Your gifts will certainly be treasured by those lucky enough to receive them.

We are not having picture postcard weather here in Atlanta...very gray, chilly and wet. Still, the slowdown in the city is enjoyed in our household as well. We will have a lazy day today and tomorrow with a little advance work for our onslaught of house guests expected the end of the week. I'm looking forward to stitching. The second of four wedding quilt sections is almost ready to come off the frame.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9366085

Laurel, we are starting to have the same gray, chilly weather. Rain is predicted here for the next 3 days so time will tell if it happens. No worries here if it does rain, daughter and I will just "veg" out after our dinner and either watch some movies or read!!

Pam, so that was you I heard? LOL I would have been so...oh wait, you were upset. Kim uses parchment paper and doesn't seem to have a problem with it but not me! The other thing she does is working with phyllo dough...total disaster when I try. Brighter side, she doesn't sew very much so I guess we balance out.

I am getting ready to go place my usual Christmas flowers on my late husband grave. This year although it is sad, it is also giving me a sense of his being here with me. Guess that is real progress for me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9366091

We drove home last night in LOTs of snow and it's white out there now!! We had driven to spend the evening with DH's brother, sister & fam. It was very nice.

More stuff to do here. More cookies, more chess tarts and then French breakfast puffs. If I'm lucky and don't get called out, a Christmas apron for my sister. Who knows? it could happen!!!

May you all be having a Joyous and meaningful celebration this wonderful season of caring!!! Merry Christmas and "Happy Holidays" whatever your celebration may be.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 24, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9366095

You are all so busy. With Christmas at your doorstep, baking/shopping/preparing the menu and bet sew'ing for some. Enjoy the moment, don't be working so hard that you miss Christmas!

Quilter, you made me sooo homesick for my sewing machine, went out and bought a huskevarna (?) sapphire 835 quilting machine which has the 12" throat..smiled upwards at DH and said 'know you would want me to have this' just bet he did. Lol he'd have said 'don't you have a perfectly good machine already?' But I'd have said no so I bought it. Along with thread and fabrics to do a piece I saw in the new magazine I bought. Paid then they found out someone didn't mark off last machine they sold, no stock...drats, but they will send me an e-mail when it's shipped to them next week..almost said forget it but didn't..gotta love it when Santa knows what you want for Christmas. Lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9366102

We're having prime rib too, we put it on a rotisserie...awesome good. My parents bought the rotisserie at a yard sale many many years ago for $5.00. It's still going strong.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9366120

Gypsi, have you thought about making chicken quilts for your hens? ;^) They are also called chicken saddles... Just a thought...
These are the words to the song that Farmer Hogget sang to Babe, I sing them to you all. (Glad you can't hear me!!!)

If I had the words to make a day for you, I'd sing you a morning golden and new.
I would make this day last for all time and give you a night deep in moonshine.

Peace and love to you all
Gloria

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9366133

How sweet Gloria! Thank you!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 24, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9366155

HI all! Looking forward to Christmas!
This morning Bob & I went to get better front tires on my car (thanks to a cheque from my mom, for Christmas!), this afternoon we're going to a friend's Open House, and this evening, we're going to a Christmas Eve service at 7pm.
Tomorrow we have 6 for dinner, so there will be 8 at the table... squeezing us in, but that's Christmas love for you! We have a new friend Bob met at Job Corps (gov't agency that helped him get this job he now has), an older boyfriend/girlfriend couple, and 3 other single ladies. With Bob, that makes 2 men, and 6 women LOL We're all "of an age" so it should be a lot of fun!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9366161

Sounds just like Christmas Susan. Enjoy.

Im taking a quick sudoku break. Oldest daughter was suppose to go to Jaxsonville to see her fiances parents. She just called and they didnt make it, appears he is just now going to the mall...with an hour and a half left open, to get their gift. He will go tomorrow, so that leaves me with dinner to make for everyone. Looks like church is moved up to 9. Good thing they have a midnight service just in case.

Betty, hope where you are, is as nice as it is here today. Does look like rain is coming tho. Funny Jean was always mentioning shoveling snow from her driveway, I havent heard much of that this year ;-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 24, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9366164

Overcast, they say it's 70 but with light breeze and clouds it feels cooler but not as cool as it would be at home so best I enjoy!

Susan, enjoy our evening, sounds like fun

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9366169

Pam, OUCH... does DD understand this MIGHT be a pattern?? Just saying...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9366212

With my LONG driveway here, it's a good thing there is no snow in the equation.

DH & I went to an early service. Church was over packed; folding chairs added. In the back we could hear nothing but the kids making oh so much noise. I could tell DH was miserable so we left.

About to head over to mu cousin's for Eve Dinner. Not sure what we will do tomorrow. Had thought we would go see a movie but the local theater is not showing the movie we want to see till 9:30PM.

Merry Christmas to all. Please drive safely...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9366235

Well we had the rain start early afternoon and it is still raining. Pam, keep a watch it maybe headed toward Gator Town.
Son just stopped by...needed coffee, wouldn't you know. Almost asked why as he told me earlier that his wife was out buying groceries...best not go there! LOL

Enjoy the nice weather Betty. If all goes as planned I do hope to get together with you near the end of the week. All depends on the knee.

Well off to dinner, sweet dreams and don't forget to put out food for the reindeer!!! :-0

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9366264

merry christmas to all! church service @ 10pm. beef roast for dinner tomorrow.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 24, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9366276

10pm? ours is at 7pm, and then we get to go home and spend Christmas eve with our families. :-)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9366281

http://youtu.be/THLVRUOotB0 this won't stay on u tube long, sure hope Y'all get to enjoy it...

Merry Christmas
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9366418

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

I had to post the flash mob video, I just SO wish I as there. Off to midnight services. Love to hear those bells ringing in Christmas.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9366429

Karen, did your hubs make it home? Snow is pretty to look at , buttttt I don't like the cold.And I sure don't like to drive in !!! :-(
I have been up early the last three days and it had been very busy, I am tired and going to bed. Sweet dreams Y'all
MERRY CHRISTMAS♡♡ :-D

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9366434

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 24, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9366455

merry Christmas every one

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
11:20 PM

Post #9366496

Merry Christmas all.

Yes Thunder he got home just fine. Our youngest son came up too and helped dig me out. We are down state now and having a lovely Christmas with our family. The bean bags were a big hit, in fact the older kids slept in theirs tonight.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9366531

Merry Christmas everyone!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9366616

Merry Christmas! Just found out an hour ago I need a gift for a Yankee Swap today. What to do (make)?

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012

Post #9366631

How about a hot pad for a table? Front, back and a couple layers of batting in between. Make it envelope style and top stitch around the edge - no binding!!!! Some simple quilting to hold it together and you are done!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 25, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9366632

Great idea Barb...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2012

Post #9366644

Merry Christmas to one and all.

All your dinners will be perfect.

Been in bed for 5 days, Chest relocates it's self occasionally. Very Painful. DD and her DH are here, she came down with a cold yesterday. lovely. She came to visit her Mom, me, he needs Baby sitting like attention, lovely. I don't see themexcept for chow time, but since I cant eat didn't matter. Am better today. We will get through this. I think the many open house and showing the apt.is causing strees, usually not so sensitive.

Again merry Christmas, see you in the new year.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9366646

Oh, Pat thanks for the envelope, it got to NJ but it'll catch up with me. That couple is coming in January for my BD

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9366720

OHHHHH I want the pattern for that quilt Santa is stitchin

Hope you get all better very fast Helene.

Merry Christmas Hugs ^_^
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9366757

Helene - was wondering where you were. Sorry to hear you have not been feeling well & now have Company. Hopefully you will have time to rest & enjoy the holiday.

I need to go make stuffing & get my turkey in the oven.

Santa brought me 2 new books so I better finish the one I've been reading for 2 years!!!!! I only read at bedtime so a book can take quite awhile to finish.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9366770

Sorry to hear your not feeling well Helene! Hope you on the mend soon!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9366781

Get well, Helene.

Jean, glad to hear that turkey finally defrosted. What new books? I got "A History Of The World In Six Glasses" http://www.amazon.com/History-World-6-Glasses/dp/0802715524 for Hanukkah.

Hope you all are having a great day and with better weather than here. I feel badly for the kids with outside toys to test. Maybe I should be feeling for the parents whose kids are roller skating and bicycling on the hardwood floors.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9366810

merry christmas!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 25, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9366819

Helene - so sorry to hear you're feeling poorly! Having company on top of that can't be easy...
I hope you feel better soon, and get the rest you need/deserve...!!

Yankee Swap - TODAY?!?! yikes...

Had a lovely Christmas morning, and in 3 hours we'll start having people come by for Christmas dinner - better get going and make sure everything's ready!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9366821

I have been reading the Clive Cussler, Dirk Pitt, series since I was introduced to them back in 1992. Then I got DH hooked. There is a new book released almost every year around the holidays. A few years 2 copies ended up under the tree. I had not seen one this year and assumed he was skipping a year. DH saw it on Amazon as a pre-order a couple months back & got it.
The other is the latest Tom Clancy, Jack Ryan book.

I'm into the suspense/murder mystery books for "easy reading".

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 25, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9366824

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9366825

Laurel - Your 6 Glasses looks interesting. Let me know how it is.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 25, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9366827

Just got in from the beach, 82 degrees..feels odd not celebrating Christmas..making an attempt to cook turkey and all the trimmings

Thinking, is it time to sew yet? Lol

Hooe those who are under the weather get to enjoy leftovers tomorrow with friends and family.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 25, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9366830

82 degrees!! Yikes!!
Betty - are any restaurants serving Christmas dinners there?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9366844

its about that here, a bit overcast, kids are at the beach.

Filet and King Crabs fro barnacle bill (they Import directly from Alaska) never frozen twiced baked potatoes and Salad. home made cookies, couldn't do too many because of this interfearance. Playing cougar, Jack is coming over. he and wife margie good friends with Chris my DH here in FL. Margie went and died quickly, same as my DH this May. Can't leave the man sitting alone on Christmas.

You are never sure who is the king of the body, there is this eternal fight going on between,brain, stomach and A..
This time the A.. won. me, with ostomy got all backed up and it certainly was a bother, as I had no desire for food all this time, better today. the stomach says to A is time you see the light, getting hungry, the brain says, finally you two see eye to eye - she has to finish the Christmas tree wall hanging (jeans pattern) which she messed up so bad. Due this DD who is here for 2 years. made four others and than just had it.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9366849

wish it was 82 here!!! only 52 :( I keep telling Dave we need to move south for the winters, butttttt he is not listening to me LOL

Just spoke to my Momma, siblings, and many of the grands chipped in together, and got her a new television ! she was totally surprised. Her #1 son in Hawaii bought a card, and wrote a note, sent it on...it went from family to family...to Sister #1, who did the purchase, and got to give the gift.

Susan I would say many restaurants in the area are open, as are most of the theaters. Kyle is out at a movie. a few of the small stores, gas stations. even some of the bigger stores were to open late this afternoon !!! sorta sad, should be a day they stay closed, everyone deserves some time off...I liked when the "blue laws" were in affect... Kept most stores closed on Sundays.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 25, 2012

Post #9366853

Bet your mom was as much thrilled thunder with the card as she was with the tv.

There are restaurants open today but we decided to at least cook a turkey dinner..there is an older gentleman across the street who seems to be on his own..might bring him a plate or at least go over first and ask if he would like one as a Christmas gesture..

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9366856

Maybe you will become a much needed new friend to him Betty ^_^ how very nice of you !!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9366864

Greetings everyone. Not sure of the temps but can tell you we are still getting rain, lots of thunder in the distance and appears to be the front edge of this front moving in on us. Reports said we could expect nasty weather this afternoon and some tomorrow. Inside snuggled down and comfy.

Received a late night call from son inviting us to breakfast with them this morning...with a P.S. Would I bring a breakfast casserole? Now what is wrong with this picture? Kim got up early and made one, fixed coffee and brought it to me in bed this morning...an extra special nice treat. I did take another tumble (knee gave away on me) so was moving slowly.

Had a wonderful time with my granddaughter..always makes going to their house fun, and an enjoyable brunch.

Helene, sorry to hear you haven't been well...please take care of yourself as 2013 is the year of the Florida group getting together!!! You are needed in attendance.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day, recovering from over eating and now resting.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9366870

71 here but the clouds have moved in. I'd prefer 82. We may need to move south!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 25, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9366882

Marion - sorry about that nasty knee... last thing you need right now...
Glad to hear that KIm's better, and what a lovely gesture - to bring you breakfast in bed!
you invited to "bring a breakfast casserole"????? wrong-o...
how nice to spend quality time with Abbi... :-)

Thunder - I know your momma was as much thrilled that the family got together on this, than the actual gift, but obviously the family thought she'd enjoy the TV too!! :-)
never heard of the "blue law"... I remember when parcels were delivered by the PO on Christmas day!!

Helene - feel better soon, please!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9366883

Well I won't be able to drive that far one way or another. lets see what happens in the new Year. believe 2013 aorund the corner, I just remember 2012...

That knee thingy doesn't sound too good.can't they fix ????

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9366967

Just got home from a lovely prime rib dinner at our daughter's home. We had a wonderful time. Lots of fun and laughter. They gave us tickets to go see "Scramalot". Anyone heard of this? I know it has something to do with Monty Python but that is all...
We too, got books this year. Norm got the new David Baldacci novel and I got "The Life of Pi" and "The Chew" cookbook. Plus three gift certificates for the Kindle... Looks like my family wants me to slow down and read!!!!
I like that pattern the Santa is sewing too Thunder. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to figure out. Just need to know the block size and go from there. A new challenge for the New Year!!!
Sounds like the temps are not toooo bad down there in FL. It is in the very low 30s here. We woke up to a dusting of snow - just enough to make the world look pretty. Tomorrow they are saying we are in for 12 - 14 inches of snow. Good day to curl up with one of those books!
How did you make out with the Yankee Swap Robin?
Hope you and Darlene had a good day Betty. Made a new friend did you?
Enjoy your company Susan.
Merry Christmas to all ...
Glad to hear all have had a good day but sad to hear of your being under the weather Helene. And Marion - we will need to strap you in a chair so that knee can rest. Stay safe and warm everyone and tomorrow will be another new beginning...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9366970

all sounds wonderful Barb, except for the cold part...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9366986

I read "Life of Pi" ten years ago. It is fantastic. I've not wanted to see the movie 'cause the vision is firm in my mind. Have you seen the movie?

I've not seen "Spamalot" but love "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" which is the basis for the musical. I'm a huge Terry Jones fan. He co-wrote "Holy Grail" and "Life of Brian". He is a brilliant historian, Oxford scholar and has produced several more current historical documentaries using his quirky humor. One is called "Historical Lives" which is a history of medieval times. He participates as an actor and is even in drag for some of the enactments. His premiss is that people were more sophisticated than historians give them credit for back in those times. I've watched that series more than once on Netflix because it's history with incredible wit. He's also done a special on the history of the development of numerals.

I'd love to hear how you enjoy the musical.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9367014

We're back home again, couldn't stay away too long as I had no one to tend the birds. Temps here...22. I'm jealous of nearly everyone.
I had thought I'd like a Kindle paper white. My kids however had other ideas, got me the Kindle Fire. I think it's techier than I wanted. I really just one to get books on. I'll not be ungrateful though, I know it was out of love.
We did have a wonderful time with kids, grands and greats. It started snowing just as some were on the road and so we were delayed waiting for their safe arrival. We had our usual chaos.
The bean bags were a big hit, the older kids all slept on them last night. Hoping to go to TN in a week or so to deliver the rest. My cooking grandsons liked their aprons.
I had hoped to be coming home and starting on tree skirts, but two boxes of t-shirts had been delivered to my daughters house. I'll get the t-shirt quilt made first , just in case we will be moving sooner than planned.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

December 25, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9367132

Merry Christmas all! Hope everyone had a lovely holiday and that Santa was good. I got lots of sewing gadgets from DH. Can't wait to clean and organize my sewing room for the 900th time. I have crocheted 5 afghans in the last 4 weeks and a couple of scarfs now it is time to sew sew sew!!!
Cher
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9367289

Wow Cher, your fingers must be worn out after all that.

I got some cray fabrics, books, and ruler from my Quilting friend back in MD. And now I need to make something using the new templates. She got me the Crazy Curves book & rulers. Fancy Drunkards Path.

Supposed to be rainy most of the day so will be a good day for sewing.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9367301

Seems like just about everyone had a great day! Love the aprons on the guys (and the guys ain't bad either!)
I ended up making a necklace for the Yankee Swap, almost came home with a BB pistol. I actually stole it from one of the guys there, he didn't want to give it to me but gave up when I told him I share a house with 5 men. He handed it over, everyone was laughing. After the swap was ove I traded my son for the book he got and he gave the pistol back to the guy and took his bag of chocolates. I am so glad they invited me to come over to their house, had a really good time.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9367305

Be happy you are in Florida now Jean. We are expecting 12 - 16" of snow starting tonight and all day tomorrow!!!

A question for you - do you need to use a circular ruler to cut out the drunkard's path patterns? I have some circle templates but I"m not sure how big they are. I must measure.
Today I'm cutting the pieces for the twisted wreath. I had made the base wrong with 3.5" squares and was supposed to use 5" square. So I have made a new base and now i"m ready to start cutting...Fun for today...

Not one gift this year related to sewing/quilting except the wonderful fabrics my swap friends sent to me. None from my family at all. I think maybe they are quilted out for a while!!!!
One of the things I received is The Chew cookbook. I really enjoy watching them put together some of their recipes on TV so now I can play too...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012

Post #9367339

Barb - for DP - if you use a circle template then you cut into 1/2 when done so have 4 pieces.

For your Twisted - if you make a smaller template, you can still use that 1st base piece. Will just have smaller blocks to fit back together.

Thunder storms starting. Supposed to be moving very fast & they say it will be nice this afternoon. Need to call the sunporch guys & see when they plan to start work. Obviously not this AM as planned.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 26, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9367357

If the mailman had walked a little quicker you would have Barb. Lol

Maybe today..

Anxious to see your finished piece...and if you had a piece of see through plastic, cut it 2 3/4 square, center it on the template you already have and mark off lines and you'll be all set to do the piece you did.

I'm more excited than you all that once again you are sewing.

The Saphire machine I bought wont arrive intil Friday or Saturday but the husqvarna dealer said I could come up for lessons so I may just do that..am sure there are one or two pieces of fabric that are calling my name as well

Gorgeous out there, say it will reach 80' nice breeze

Glad some of you received more patterns and templates.
My family have no idea what I need or want so it's $$$ in a card..just emailed them to say that I love the sewing machine that they bought me. Lol. $$$ were put to good use.

We have a husqvarna dealer in Midland, only miles from me so not worried about servicing but am wondering if I should purchase the extended warrantee..do any of you buy it?

Thy called 3 shops to try and find the quilting foot for it..yikes, about $125 for it and none of the shops have it. Will ask if I order it today will it be in by next week??
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9367366

I'm playing catch up and trying to read all the posts I missed while my sister was here visiting. We had the absolutely best time! DH is off trying out his new rod and reel. I get to do a mountain of linens and put together a few meals for the freezer. Everyone either just coming down with or just getting over a bug at our daughters. We had a lovely day and SonIL did a fabulous job on the prime rib, sent us home with a crockpot full of split pea soup, so will portion that out and enjoy with the home made rolls my sister made.
We, too received a Kindle Fire. Will have to find my internet code before I can set it up. DH is technology challenged so it's up to me.
I received a Moda jellyroll from my NH/FL sewing buddy. Camera is charging as I type so pictures will be forthcoming!

Weather here in Cocoa Beach is a bit cloudy and overcast but warm enough that I'm in a sleeveless top and capris sitting here with the patio door open.

I hope that everyone that's traveling will stay safe and I wish good health for all my sewing buddies. A speedy recovery to all that are under the weather or recovering from whatever. Hugs to all.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9367378

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful visit Mittsy. You will love the Kindle Fire. It is really convenient. What is nice is that I can receive Kindle books on my Ipad as well as on the Kindle.
Then Norm and I can read at the same time!!!!
How is Judy? Please tell her I said Hellp and Merry Christmas!! Are all the sewing ladies on a Christmas break?

I still haven't decided whether to trade in my embroidery machine for one that is quilting only with the wider throat. I hate making decisions like that because I'm always second guessing myself... I must admit, I haven't used the embroidery feature very lmuch. I need to travel 45 min one way to the shop for the threads or a lesson or two and this year has not been very conducive to that. We shall see...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9367379

Jean, I guess you are getting or have gotten the weather that passed through here in the wee hours this morning. It currently isn't raining but they say we are going to have more before the day is over. Time will tell. Sitting here listening to "bumps" on the roof so I guess there were some limbs, etc broken off and now are coming down. Just hope there are no big ones!!

Barb, I did think of you when I read the news this morning. Stay inside, snuggle down and enjoy reading.

Laurel, I have seen the movie, "Life of Pi", and I did enjoy. My daughter is currently reading the book.

Ladies, I do have to tell you about my extra special Christmas gift from my son. I am always telling him that I don't want anything he just goes out and buys. He does beautiful work work and I have requested more than once that things I have that needed repairing be done. This year he listened! His dad gave me a cutting table about 25 years ago and the legs gave way so it is unusable. He rebuilt they legs and will be over soon to reattach them to the table. I don't think these will be warping or giving away anytime soon. In fact, my table may be able to pass on to my GDs! Yes, I am bragging and oh so pleased he realized that was why I was not using the table and did something about it.

Helene, we won't plan anything just yet so that you have time to recover...we need you well when we get together.
Also, I have 3 torn ligaments in my knee and until I see the Ortho doc, I don't know what or how they will proceed. Some days it just doesn't work when I go to take a step. Barb, no chair strapping please. Glue me to my sewing chair will be okay. ;-)

Stay warm and dry everyone.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9367396

I came to this "dead end" after I bought the Brother "Laurel Ashley 5000. Embroidery sewing and quilting,I like many things better than the Janome , but now in using the walking foot not sure. Walking foot so different.
That machine is amazing.I am still not straight in my head what is it exactly I want/need from a Machine. Read someqhere this designer Editha Sirdar has 12 embroidery machines all threaded in different color for easy color change. Easy? but 12 machines - you go girl.

Brother makes quilting only so does Janome. Make time and try every feature your self and don't just let the clerk show you.

Cher I like giving Afghans as gifts, perhaps one a year.

Betty, ACEsewing and Vac in Pompona fl.is a company that has many sewing supplies, order on line receive the next day

Have had my Kindle for 3 years, pick and choose what you want to use. Its great for getting books in and not leaving the island

Karen those aprons are cute. Boys are good looking bunch.

cookie platter this year is very limited due to being down for the count, getting better. Was goo to have a few to give to others...Did jazz it up with some Neuhaus Chocolates. The worlds best - I do not kid -

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9367398

Marion - cross posted - This knee thing is serious. MY DH was pro soccer player and his miniscus - both knees very bad. Never had it fixed just suffered.

It would be nice if some of us could meet.

Mittsy - so jealous - always wanted a Sister and be friends with her as you two seem to be.

My quest today is to get some food into Helene. Trying to figure out what she wants. When my chest colapses like that it effects my digestive tract.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9367402

Barb - that throat is probably no more than 2" longer than a regular machine. Do you think 2" will make much difference??? Just like my HQ-16 - next size up is the 18: and for 2" just not worth trading it in. Now that 24" is a different story & will be one of my 1st purchases when I win the lottery!!!!

Rain has moved thru & it is quiet again. I'm sorting thru paperwork - usually what I do on New Years Day so I may be ahead of the game this year. Also coming up with a new method of filing. Hopefully my plastic, multi section folders will fit in my filing cabinet. Then I may be able to find them when I'm looking for one!!!!

Had leftover turkey & stuffing for brunch - YUM!!!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9367449

I, too, am trying to catch up on the threads, so apologize if I've missed anything..
Helene, so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, please get better soon! Glad you're back in FL and that you had daughter there for the holidays.
Anyone who got a new machine to play with over Christmas, I'm so happy for you, but jealous at the same time! Until I clean up my sewing room, I couldn't set up anything in there at this point anyway! LOL
Good visit with kids, but way too short. Weather alerts started coming in for the snow, which in itself wasn't a big deal, until they upgraded it to a blizzard warning. Hubby decided we'd best start for home a day early to stay ahead of it and not get stuck in IN. If it were just me, I would have stayed. But we had ice/sleet on the forecast also, and driving 400 miles in that is NOT something I want to do again on our route! Bad thing was, I didn't get to visit with Mom or my side of the family since we left early. She was not a happy camper when I called, but hopefully I can get back down there to visit after the first of the year.
One funny thing.. Hubby has had his Rebel camera for a couple years, has never used the time feature on it. Since we were taking family pics with all of us, I told him to try it out so Kristen's sister could be included. We played around with the settings, thought we had it set right. So we're all standing there in front of the tree, the camera goes off... and off, and off... he thought it was stuck and practically knocks me over trying to get to it to turn it off. Actually, the default setting is for a 10 second countdown, then you can set it for as many pics in succession. We thought we set it for a 10 second countdown, when really we had set it for 10 pics in succession. Got it figured out, but it was a good laugh. However, after downloading on the computer for editing this morning, we found out just how funny it was. Click on the pics really fast, and you see him running to the camera and everyone's expressions.. I was laughing and crying at the same time.. funny stuff!
Anyway, here's a pic of Bella and the entire family.. (l-r, oldest son Matthew, Kristen and Bella, Micah and dog SweetPea, Kristen's sister Jenny, Me, Philip).
Hope everyone is having a good day, I'm off to grocery shop before it gets bad out there!

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo         

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9367468

Bella is absolutely beautiful in her dress!!! Great picture...great looking family also. I hate your trip was cut short but sounds like you did the right thing by coming back early. Scary weather indeed.

Hope all who are in this bad weather stay safe, inside and cozy down until it passed.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9367474

BEAUTIFUL & Sunny here now!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9367500

How lovely is that picture Kathy!!! Bella is so beautiful and your dress did her justice. Both are gorgeous!!!! Nice family picture too!! Those are nice to have. Our grandson gave Norm a picture of Norm and granson's horse!!! I must take a picture of the picture!!!! Right now it is Norm's bestest present...

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

December 26, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9367529

Oh Kathy Bella looks just as her name says in that dress. You did a gorgeous job on it.
Hunker down Barb gonna be a nasty little storm.
I have to move more to the North I love Blizzards we will probably only get 6 inches out of this one, BUT I will enjoy every flake;-)
Cher

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9367538

we're under blizzard conditions today. guess I'll go organize the sewing room before I work on anything.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9367659

Bella is adorable! The family pictures are great. My son wants a Tshirt that says "Never Trust a Skinny Cook!" (losing credibility daily). He's lost a lot of weight and has more to go. He's been working hard at this for about 2 years now, I'm proud of his results AND efforts.

It was nasty driving home, lots of snow on the roads here and that "one hour/ 50 mile trip" was longer last night!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 26, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9367673

Bella is adorable! Who is the young man holding the dog? He looks SO like my SIL Lonnie!!
Here's a pic on their wedding day about 5 years ago... see what I mean, Kathy?

I had a lovely Christmas - Bob & I enjoyed our Christmas morning together.
Most of the friends came for dinner (5pm). Guess one pulled out at the last moment, cuz Bob went to pick her up and she wasn't there... she would have been new to our group, so maybe she was shy...
BUT the rest of our friends are mostly regulars and all know each other. They said they enjoyed the evening! One new person (Glaide) was visiting Edmonton, and returned in time to eat dinner 1 hour late, but stayed for most of the evening. She brought her beagle Sophie, and Sophie is a sweetheart!
Sorry I didn't take any pictures. I was running around getting dinner for Glaide when she arrived...

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9367728

Susan, your daughter is gorgeous! The one with the dog is my youngest son Micah, the new daddy. SweetPea has been their 'baby' since before they were married, so she's a big part of the family. When Philip set up the camera and the rest of us were by the tree, she came over and sat down by the chair like she knew what it was for. We couldn't leave her out.. LOL

Bella is starting to smile more, but then again, she's so gassy that it's hard to tell one kind from another. More so with breast milk than when she takes formula, for some reason, and Kristen is watching what she eats. She was hoping not to have to supplement, but her milk just isn't increasing enough to keep Bella fed. She does sleep better and isn't as cranky when she takes formula though.
She was so cute in her dress, I was surprised it fit as well as it did since she wasn't here for me to fit it as it was sewn.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9367731

Nice Christmas memories. Beautiful picture. Dress is super special. Now we are getting to add you to all the other friends recent pictures. Thanks. Good your safe.

Now I am getting a cold on top of everything I had last week.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 26, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9367735

Kathy - I'll let my daughter know you've said she's gorgeous! I've always thought so, and people keep telling me so... :-)
I really love that dress you made for Bella!!

Helene - drink lots of hot liquids! Sorry to hear you're getting a cold. You really don't need to add this to your already trying week!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9367890

Beautiful, beautiful, Kiz!!

All of you in the snow...please stay safe and warm !!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 26, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9367942

Thanks, Thunder - I never went out yesterday OR today... too fricking COLD!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012

Post #9368506

Barb & Cher - how deep is the snow????

I stopped by my LQS today to check on the Sandy blocks & she was having an EOY sale. Empty the bolt & save 30%. I emptied 8 bolts for her!!!! We are both happy!!!! I saved $45. A lot of these will be great for the crazy pillowcases.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9368551

I love EOY sales!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9368568

So it wasn't the sun I thought I was seeing but Jean smiling from the great deals she got on fabric. Silly me! :-)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9368575

Betty - tsk tsk tsk... never would have taken you for a fibber!
You said the template for me was sitting on your dresser, this morning. Well, either the PO is quick, and you mailed it after you said that this am, OR you fibbed, cuz I have it HERE in today's mail lol
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now, to figure out which side of the lines is the 1/4" seam allowance...

This message was edited Dec 27, 2012 3:52 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 27, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9368591

Not that kind of template, will send you a dmail..hmmm was so anxious to send all my packages out I didn't realize it was there...good for me! Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9368597

lol Yes, Good For You lol
Well, this one is a plastic square, with two lines dissecting it... and it says it's a Twister template... now I'm confused...
Will look for the d-mail...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9368605

I was trying to hold off for another week before starting a new thread but 300+ is too long.

So come on over & we will have an early start to the New Year projects: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292129/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America