Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Holes in Lacebark Elm tree

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9358886

I have a small/medium sized Ulmus parvifolia that has been doing quite well since we bought it several years ago. But, I just recently noticed (I admit I don't thoroughly examine my trees regularly - I don't know how old these holes are) some holes in the trunk. They are in 3 'groups' of 2, 3 and six holes, all about 4 1/2 ' above the ground and seem to mostly be in a horizontal arrangement. i can see NO other holes lower or higher up or on any branches.

I have read a little about Borers. I pulled a few pieces of the bark away looking for bugs hiding under the flaky bark. No luck. Just now however, I used a piece of stiff wire to probe the holes/kill grubs and discovered the holes are ALL only about 1/16-1/8" deep.
Does this help narrow-down what kind of creature created these holes?

I may try to treat with Bayer or Bonide 'merit' based systemic starting next march but, if I could somehow confirm this is minor damage and/or perhaps unrelated to any harmful bug infestation, I might ignore it.

thanx for any guidance

Carl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9358942

Hi Carl. Can you possibly take a picture of the damage? That would help identify what's on your tree. Possibly it is from a woodpecker.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9359527

more googling based on the above suggestion has helped me feel confident what I have are woodpecker/sapsucker holes.

they are not D shaped, they are not in a random 'shotgun' pattern.

should I be concerned about treating/filling/covering these holes? There's no evidence they have ever weeped sap - but I suppose they could in the spring?

thanx

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9359625

You are welcome. I think the tree should be fine as is. The holes are shallow and it sounds like they barely broke through the cambium. Sounds like they were after bugs rather than sap or a hollow hole for nesting. We have a mated pair here that regularly check out the live oak and pines and the trees haven't exhibited any stress from it.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9359767

We hear and have often spotted woodpeckers in our area so, most of the data lines up best with that being the source of the holes. And it's exactly as you said, they seem too shallow to have been insect damage. These holes would offer zero protection from the elements for a grub. Perhaps a hungry woodpecker was just 'testing' the tree?

thanx again - I'm just going to monitor the tree I guess. It has done a good job of healing itself in a few places where I have trimmed/shaped it and these wounds are much smaller.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9359911

You are too welcome. Hope all remains well with your tree. Merry Christmas

Moon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America