Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Irises in danger

Eagle Mountain, TX

I grew my first irises from bulbs this past spring. I layered other flowers over them for fall color, and mulched. We have had a very mild season, right up until mid-December (I live in North Texas). My irises are coming up now! We've already had one freeze, but they are still green and growing. They are in a large pot on my front (west) patio. Should I bring them inside? How do I save them?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Don't worry about them. It's a common fallacy and basic human trait to think we know more about how plants should grow, and what stimulates them to do what they do, than they do.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

We have pretty mild winters (at least the past few years) here and most of my TB iris stay green or have some growth all winter long. They do just fine in the spring. You will just want to remove any dead or decayed foliage in the spring. I don't mulch mine but I do still have to clear off any decayed leaves or debris that has accumulated over the winter so the rhizomes don't stay damp or begin to rot.

Eagle Mountain, TX

Those are both such a relief to read. Thank you!

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Are they rhizomatous Iris (like bearded) or bulb iris (like Siberian?)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.