Photo by Melody

Recipes: Polish, or other Eastern European FoodsPart #2.

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 6, Views: 117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9359212

This Thread was started in the Holiday Season in 2007. We cannot let all this fade into oblivion!

What a nostalgic trip through all the Eastern European foods and deserts!
Lots and lots of Polish and Lithuanian, and Latvian recipes posted on it! WOW!

Much time has passed since 2007 , and I am sure there are a lot of new DG members who have
never seen this. Such a treasury of recipes!!! Bumping this up to a part #2 Thread.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/795466/#new

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 5:36 PM

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 9:17 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9385306

I know you all are cooking out there...it is fun to do when it is cold outside-and no gardening to do.

Share some of your recipes? Maybe something you may remember your Mom or Grandmother cooked?
Maybe a favorite old country soup? Soup tastes so good in the winter months..and cooking it is a lovely
no hurry past time.

Gita

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9414099

I'm going to check out the first thread so I'll be back:)

Never been one to like cabbage--but lately I've been craving it. Haven't broken down and purchased one yet though:lol:
Any good cabbage recipes? I've done cabbage rolls before--like the sweet and sour thing in the tomato sauce but I'm thinking more of a casserole that is more about the cabbage than meat. Simple is fine.

I've noticed that the older I get the more I am trying and liking veggies I never would eat as a kid. So far I've added winter squash, asparagus, artichokes, eggplant, leeks, fennel and spinach to my diet.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9415320

Oh Dmac, you're making me even hungrier than I was already, all that talk about cabbage and asparagus, and artichokes, oh my! =)

I sure hope Wrightie is still around 'cause I GASPED out loud when I read her post about City Chicken. That stuff is GREAT!!!!!!

As my Dad used to call me "Little Suzie Buttermilk" (and if you know the Polish word for buttermilk, you'll know my maiden name!), I am indeed a Pollack, Wheeee!! =) I grew up in SouthWestern PA, in a little teeny tiny coal mining town. The town had a lot of neato different ethnicities, Italian, German, Polish, Spanish (from Spain),... it was a great place back in the day.

Now, if you'll give me a bit of time please, I will dig up, then share, my Grandma's recipes for Lady Locks, Maple Twist, and one of our neighbor's recipes for Cappelletti. She served it in a beef broth, and the yummiest part of it was the nutmeg in the filling. Mmmm!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9419423

Just sauteing cabbage with butter and egg noodles is delish!
Steam the cabbage in a little water first to soften, then add butter and the cooked egg noodles...yum!

I'm getting hungry now too!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9419676

In my thoughts--I am still dying to make Cabbage rolls...Have the cabbage--have the ground meats (frozen).
In reality--I have no idea where i will put the servings in my freezer once I make them...;o(
It will be soon, though. I'll cook them--and then save a few dishes for me and give the rest away to people at work
I love to treat a few people to my dishes...I simply bring it in, plop it in front of them and say: "You have lunch!"...

Dying to make my Sauerkraut soup too. That really takes up room in the freezer--like at least 10-12 containers..
I am out of Bean soup and Chili as well...Oh, well...Have ALL the ingredients for all of them...just waiting...

Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9419772

I've told you before Gita, I will let you "borrow" MY freezer space to hold your cabbage rolls for you!!! See how nice and generous I am!?!? < =D Hmmm... I think I can rearrange some things to make room for some of that Sauerkraut soup as well. < =P ... Of course, I can't guarantee there will be anything left for you to come back for, but still... ;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America