Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Spring projects.

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 27, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9359941

For spring I have a few planned projects but I was wondering if anyone here uses the puckering stuff that you use a hot steam iron on? I seen it on a Quitling tv show (Yeah I'm lame like that) and for the life of me I can not remember what that stuff is called, I'd like to give it a try when I do the spring quilt.
Also, since this quilt is for my sister who recently lost her hubby I'm looking for very specific fabric prints so if you have any idea where I can get some authentic 60's-70's prints (Think hippy dippy trail) I'd love to hear about it. I have looked at the goodwill for old shirts and such but the fabric type is all wrong for a soft snuggle up and not feel so alone quilt.
Thanks in advance,
~Cicca~
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9359955

Have you thought of using flannel shirts?

I have seen the out come of the puckering stuff but don't know what it is called. Sure someone here has used it.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9359998

Yeah I have, she hates flanel however. more to the point she hates the checkered print that they all seem to have.
Says it" looks like farmer Joe threw up all over." LOL, gotta love her!
I need some ex-flowerchild to clean out their closet so badly.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2013 5:09 PM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 16, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9360021

Would she let you have hubby's shirts? A quilt of his shirts might be a great comfort to her.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9360167

I tried to convince her that would be nice for her but she donated everything of his to their local church.
I guess I'll just keep looking I have a few months till spring arrives :) Crossing my fingers that I run across what I need by then.

What backing do you guys recomend?

This message was edited Apr 8, 2013 5:10 PM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9360187

there was a fabric line that came out not too long ago, that was VERY retro Hippie...sure do not know the name ?? tho if I come across it again, I will let you know about it.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9360592

Keepsake Qulting catalog can give you many ideas and shows retro fabrics...
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9363653

Basket weave blanket.
This is my winter project a queen sized basket weave blanket for DH.
It is the first time I have used bamboo yarn, weird stuff to work with but I had a lot of fun with it once I stopped getting frustrated at having to rip out rows because I missed a stitch.
I don't think it came out too badly, the pic is kinda meh but you get the general idea.

Thumbnail by Cicca   Thumbnail by Cicca         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9363655

Is that knitted or crochet? I like the weave look.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9363659

Crochet.
I make a lot of things that I sell on various sites. The blankets are one of my favs to make because they just make me smile.
I learned from my grandmother who learned from her mother and so on.
I make lace sometimes too if I get a special order in, but usually it is baby blankets, dorm blankets and frilly wraps that sell well.
Every now and again I get a quilt order but sadly it seems that most people don't appreciate them like they used to.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 9:30 AM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9365192

That is COOL Cicca!!! I have not crocheted, or knitted in YEARS!! Last thing I did was Leprosy bandages. They were like 3 inches wide and over 6 feet long
I think few people except other quilters understand the cost and hours that go into a quilt.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9365206

My Aunt is redoing her house and has asked me to make her some Irish lace curtains, she is willing to pay for the time which rocks cuz yeah... but just doing that alone will pay my rent for a few months. (she has a lot of windows lol) =) She also wants bedspreads and dust ruffles to match but I am not sure exactly how I will price those since she is family...
The baby blankets are selling faster than I can make them at this point and my sister found fabric that she fell in love with so I'm no longer hunting down that. :)
But first on my to do list is to make a lace runner for mom's piano. I found this super cute pattern called Fairy Rings. which I'll have to post a pic of once I get it finished.
My grandfather called me up and asked me if I could make him a king sized basket weave blanket in a "light blue, but not a girly blue or a babyish pastel" LOL I love that old cooter to death; I'd hand dye the yarn to get what ever color he wants if needed.
So my little project list is now so full I have no idea how I'll get it all done before fall, I also had a few people ask me if I could teach them how to do some of the basic afghan stitches so I have started a skype class once a week.

Anyhow I hope everyone is having a blast!

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 5:08 AM

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 5:09 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9365236

I learned to crochet from my Mom who learned from hers. GM did not read a lot of English so most of what she did was from looking at something. Mom was the same. Mom worked in yarn & thread & did beautiful doilies. I have a cedar chest full and no idea of what to do with all of them.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 23, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9365253

I bought a quilt on Ebay that has old lace and doilies attached. Might be a way to use them and perhaps pass them on to family members as gifts.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9365319

That's a great idea Karen. I made a dress once with lace dollies etc appliqued over the yoke. I LOVED that dress but HEAVY!!

My grandma taught me to crochet. I wanted to learn how to make "Granny Squares". I wanted to make a pastel/ white baby blanket for my first born. After that I learned "broom stick" and make several blankets until a car accident made that style of work to painful.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9365404

Think about dipping them in porcelain and then firering them, if you starch them into a bowl shape and then dip they will turn into really beautiful porcelain bowls! =)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9365504

WOW, that would be awesome.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9365845

There is a way to dip fabric into porcelain? That would sure be awesome to enclose/preserve antique doilies.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 24, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9365934

Look for a ceramic shop that also does porcelain. Please be aware that the doilies will burn away in the firing process.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9365974

I was wondering about that. Not what I wanted.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 24, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9366017

Maybe some of the smaller ones could be appliqued onto a piece of contrast fabric and framed, or even the larger ones. People don;t really use doilies like they used to but this would protect them and show them off.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9366107

I apliqued one to the face of a plain colored pillow to display one, that turned out nice.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9366117

There is an artist who just did an instalation using the dipping process, it is really cool looking, yes you lose the original fabric but if there are one or two that you really want to display in a unique way that might be something to think about.

Another way to save and display them is clear spray paint, I do this wiith the undersides of doll dresses to keep the folds perfect just form, spray and let dry.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9367293

Oh, clear spray paint. I could try that on a few "less nice" ones as a test.

I do have a few of the antique unique ones framed.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9368472

Here is a flower motif that I plan on blocking and then clear coating to use as a coaster, I'll make up a set of them.
I think they came out rather nice for a first attempt at small pattern thread crochet.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2012 4:06 PM

Thumbnail by Cicca
Click the image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9369192

I'm eager to see how that turns out. I'm sure I understand what you means when you say you are going to clear coat it.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9369226

I plan on getting some thick clear acrylic, like bar coating or something so that the design is kinda floating in the middle I'd have to find or make forms for it and its 20 degrees outside atm so I shall be forced to wait till summer. :( Till then I can make up a few more.
But the basic idea is to pour some coating into the form, about half way and let it dry then place the starched and blocked piece on the top and pour to fill allow to dry and remove. That way no matter how much abuse they take I can just buff out the scratches. I think these will look awesome on my patio.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9369575

That sounds AWESOME, can't wait to see finished project pictures.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America