Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Moving right along, How am I doin

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 211, Views: 1,210
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9360271

Not sure where this post went but I thought I had it here. Anyway, Moving right along with my first quilt.
I have all the 12 blocks done and I'm beginning to attach them to the inner border. Then there is an outer border then the binding
Its going to be a pretty bit quilt by the time all the borders and binding get attached. The two pieces actually line up on the last pic but its just twisted.
There are 3 more rows to add then the borders.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click an image for an enlarged view.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9360279

Gourd, that is an awesome first quilt!! With your wonderful creative talent in so many crafts I knew you would " hit the ground running" with quilting.! Kudos to you!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9360429

Awesome job. Quite an endeavor for your first project. Hope you are loving it.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9360468

Jan, that is going to be gorgeous. And I'm happy to see you took the time to make your points and corners meet where they should. So many first quilters rush through it, are not satisfied with the result and then never try again. Taking the time, every time, is what makes it so stunning... I'm really proud of your accomplishment!!! Are you going to quilt it yourself or have it done by a long armer? And what have you chosen for a batting and backing? I know - I'm so nosy - but the quilt is stunning and I am curious!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9360520

Jan - the fabrics btwn the blocks are the "sashings". Then the "borders" go around the outside. The squares where 4 sashings meet are the "cornerstones".
I'm with Barb, you did a wonderful job. I know folks who have been piecing for years & still can't figure out how to get sharp corners.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9360568

Thank you Qwilter, not sure how to refer to all the extras. I appreciate the advice and info.
Barb, not sure about how I am going to quilt it as there is a very reasonable long arm quilter lady that lives just above the quilt store so I may have her do it as I really don't have the room to do it here. I am going to use Warm and Natural batting and I have a nice flannel sheet that I am planning on using for the backing but I may change that when I get the top all done. Depends on the size sort of. I think this is going to be big enough to fit a queen size bed when it is done. eheheh.
I am so excited that all the corners matched up and there are a few of the flying geese that don't connect on the rectangle and with the fabric I was using, a vintage toile it was hard to get a good variation and accurate placement for all the pieces.
I am getting excited about my next quilt already. Not sure what I am going to do but hopefully it will be better then this one. I am thinking I will get it together with my log cabin blocks. Still working on that.
Thank you all for your kudos
Made my day
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9360569

Ah oh, she is hooked!!!!! Already planning the next quilt before 1 is done.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9360584

Hahahaha... you are such great inspirational friends. How can I go wrong?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9360662

awesome Jan AWESOME I knew you could do it !!! welcome to the world of quilting addiction !!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9360673

Love those colors, Jan! You're very talented... no question that you'll make wonderful quilts!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9360695

Fellow Quilters-- a question. I have heard conflicting reports regarding using sheets for backing. How do YOU feel about this?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9360699

Wow, piece of art and on your 1st attempt..love the fabrics and the color
Amazing..bet you now have the bug
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9360717

As long as it is a good quality, 100% cotton sheet, no problem. Need to avoid those silky ones with a very high thread count. They are too "limp" and a real pain to try & get on the long arm.
Flannel sheets work great.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9360729

Thanks for the info Jean...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9360744

I am so flipping excited. I just added the second row and everything matched up perfectly. Yee Haw! ! ! OMG... now that I have been bitten by the quilting bug I absolutely need to get rid of the extra bed in my spare room as in the 6 years we have lived here it has only been used 3 times, I think they could use the couch if need be. I need more room. hehehe

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader         

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9360756

We have created another quilting addict!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9360776

OH ya!! We gotta another ADDICT!!! My Best friend gave me a flannel sheet sheet set that was better quality than any yardage I've ever handled, I would not hesitate to use THAT fabric. Like was said earlier, it all depends on the quality of the fabric. With your craft experience, I am NOT at all surprised your work matches first time out of the chute!

Heck, if you only used the bed 3 times, for that little of use, a motel is good option! I wish I could free up room that easily.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9360879

I love using cotton sheets for quilt backings and especially flannel sheets. I watch for sets I like on sale. I use the flat sheet for the backing and then give them the bottom sheet and pillow cases so it makes a set. Early spring is the best time to buy flannel sheets, the price is right.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9360927

Do you wash before using Karen?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9360938

Yes I do because there is a lot of shrinkage with flannel.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9361047

Good to know.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9361079

Welcome to the world of quilting. Your life will never be the same. :^)

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9361330

Quoting:Welcome to the world of quilting. Your life will never be the same. :^)

Just more of a life.

if you were to use the quilt for bedding or bed cover, washed flannel is a good thing. But for a couch throw I would use 108" wide backing with a pretty complimentary pattern to show it off.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9361340

Heheh, thanks Mork, I am ready for a change and I'm not talking about a change in life, just a subtle change of pace. heheh
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9361710

I don't know how but I ended up with one extra block. How cool is that? I can make a sham to go with it. heheh or a little pillow.
I sort of freaked out and went back to make sure I hadn't done something weird and missed a block somewhere but that was just impossible. ehehe

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9361826

you could always center it on the backing or add a light solid to it and make it the label on the back corner...? or the sham would be good too... might as well use it!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

December 19, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9362606

Great First quilt Jan you are a natural! Welcome to our addiction lol
Cher
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9365592

Okay, I am hand quilting using an echo stitch vs stitching in the ditch. I have everything all safety pinned together and have started my stitching.I fear this is going to take me a long time. I would do it on my sewing machine but everything is so bulky I can't figure out how to move it around so I have resorted to doing it by hand. Wish me luck.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9365602

Jan = just remember to start in the center of the quilt and work out toward the edges. I usually do two or three inches wide and then check to see if the backing or front needs to be smoothed toward the edge some more. Usually does. I try hard to avoid a lot of looseness ...Guess I just don't pin close enough or something...
Edited to add: I can't wait to see how it comes out...

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 7:10 PM
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9365646

WHOOPS, good thing I read this. I started at the top and was going to work my way down. I haven't done too much so I can take it out if it doesn't match up. Its just so big. I am trying to figure out how to hold it to start in the center. I guess I will figure it out. eheh

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9365839

u tube has some good videos on hand quilting.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9365844

They sell plastic & metal "U' shaped gizmos. You roll the quilt then slip the "U" over to hold it in place.
You really need to keep the section you are working on flat or your stitches won't be lying flat. The goal is needle straight down, across the scant bit, then straight up.

Now back to doing it by machine... You use the "U" shaped gizmos mentioned above to roll up the quilt. And a Walking Foot if you do not have a machine that can be set for "free motion". And again you start in the middle and work out so no more then 1/2 is ever under the throat plate. It can be tight, but I've done a queen size on my machine. It also helps to set up a couple extra tables around the machine to hold the weight of the quilt. My machine sat in a sewing table. I'd pull it out from the wall and put a folding table behind and then put another table in front & to the left to hold the weight of that side of the quilt. And this is not a fast process. Your arms & shoulders will get tired from maneuvering the weight & pushing the fabric thru the machine. I was never able to quilt for more than 2 hrs at a sitting.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9365901

Thank for the info. I am rethinking this and I might go get some wood slats and make my self a frame that I can roll it up on and tack it to. I remember way way WAY back when I went to a quilting bee there was something similar to that with four clamps, one in each corner. It could be rolled up when not being stitched on. I have some of those plastic tubes but not sure how I can fit it under my presser foot.I need to think though this. I tried doing it in my lap, starting again from the center and that was really bulky and a challenge so then I got a large embroidery hoop but that made it too tight to put stitch through as my fingers just don't seem to want to push the needle up and down like it should. Errrr... that long arm quilter is sounding better all the time. heheh. She has a shop over the quilt shop.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9366778

If you lap quilt it on a hoop then place the quilt on a flat surface and push down in the center to loosen the section. This will make the tension loose enough to needle up and down correctly.

I took my most recent piece off the frame yesterday. Otherwise I'd have photos to show. My older frame is a pair of saw horses with notches along the top to accommodate 2"x2" rails. The 2" rails have strips of fabric attached with heavy duty staples and then the basted quilt layers are basted with a long sculpture needle or pinned every few inches with safety pins onto those strips. I can roll the quilt in two inch increments and the tension is good because of the square rails. Large quilts can be pulled off the frame, rolled up and easily stored. The downside is the sawhorses take over a space.

SO made me a couple of portable frames where the rails are 1" dowels with fabric strips attached. The stretchers are 1"x2" with 1" slots drilled for the dowels. There are four small holes drilled around the circumference near the dowels' ends and a hole through the 1" side if the 1"x2" that aligns with the dowels. Four 16 penny nails serve as a stop pins. Each time I advance the quilt I remove the nails, roll the quilt and reset. I can either put this frame on a stand or suspend it by sturdy cord (in this case bootlaces) from chairs.

I have always started quilts on a frame. Sometimes I'll quilt the piece at three to four inch intervals on the frame then remove the quilt to a hoop to add stitching. Quilting on a frame is more difficult because you are stitching in all directions whereas on a hoop you turn the hoop and position the piece towards yourself.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9366807

Well, right now I have it rolled up on both ends and have it on my ironing board lowered so I can sit in a chair and do it. I don't have any tension though so I think I like the saw horses and 2x2" boards. Can you possibly take a couple of pics of the frames you are talking about, I like the idea of the dowels too. ??? so many???
Thanks

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9366836

if you are going to get into hand quilting in a serious way...this is a grace frame, I have one and I love it. it was pricey, but well worth it. I keep it in my front hallway, we rarely use the front door, and there is enough room to sit at the frame, and someone could still walk by if need be.

I also have a few different size hoops. if you use these you need to have quilt in there looser than you would put ...say a piece to embroider...

and I also have a very old frame similar to this http://www.quilting-tidbits.com/quilt-frames.html pretty easy to put together, you could make feet for it, or put on top of chairs...can be stood on edge, behind couch, to get it out of the way, I always wanted to hang it from the ceiling on some pulleys , crank it up when not in use??!!

similar version, much smaller http://www.quilting-tidbits.com/quilt-frames.html

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT         

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9366843

I remember using one similar to the boards and chairs when I went to a quiliting bee when I first got married back in 67. Holy crap, that was a long time ago. hehehe. I like the looks of the Grace frame. I will have to check them out. See if I can afford to save up for one. Thank you so much for the info.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9366845

/Yep, I knew I had good taste. The Grace frames run between $300-$400. I do really like them and the way they can be folded up and put away. I will have to check and see if I can find a used one somewhere.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9366854

with more and more people getting into long arm machines...I would think there would be some available. not bad pricing really, they were $300. twenty years ago.!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9366935

I will be happy to share photos of what I've got. Give me a day or two. I have spent a fair amount of time looking for used Grace frames like the one Thunder posted. No luck. I'm a little wary of its stability with a large piece like a queen size quilt. BTW, that is the largest size the frame can handle. Thunder, have you done anything that big on your frame?

Maybe stop quilting for a few days until you decide on how to tension your piece or use the hoop with slack. I'll post photos ASAP. Stitching without the tension needed to go directly up and down = a running stitch not a quilting stitch. The quilt sandwich will be joined but the effect is different.

Hand quilting is growing in popularity too so good quality rectangular frames or antique hoop stand frames are like hens' teeth.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2012 5:58 PM
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9366982

Okay, I put my quilt away till I can figure out how I am going to do this. Don't make me wait too long or I may get distracted and do something else. I really hated to put it away but I want to do it right.
I know that up and down is the quilting stitch but it is difficult with out having an open area to do it.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9366985

I have done queen size on it many times.. and twins a few times.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9366989

Thunder, well I assume you were satisfied since you didn't say otherwise. It looks like a good frame and is why I have had an interest. Whatever frame you use there are always advantages and disadvantages. An advantage of a three roller frame is you don't have to baste. The disadvantage is that once it is on the frame it needs to stay there so you're stuck for a frame if you want to work on another piece.

I will post what I have tomorrow.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2012 8:03 PM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9366996

Just out of curiosity, I looked on Ebay for hand quilting frames. The selection seems pretty good. So you know I have dealt with Allbrands in the past and have been very satisfied with their prices and their service.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9367008

It looks like they have a very good price on that Grace frame at $199.! Mine were made with love from scrap wood in the shed so the price was a real bargain. :)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9367047

I love my frame, it is an older version, so it does not tilt as much as I think the newer ones do...but I think it is wonderful, I also think I can do a king size on it. it is very wide. when it was purchased, we could have also purchased smaller boards for it; to be able to do a crib quilt. at the time I did not think that was necessary. wish now I got them. I do not think they are available anymore. of course would be easy enough to just get some wood and make them...hmmm may be a good project for the hubs come new years...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9367055

Well, I like the shed price the best and if I can get them to cut me the length of pieces I need at the lumber yard I can do the rest. Not sure I understand the third horizontal piece. I have the chairs and I suppose I can set it up in the studio someway so that I can still move around.
What makes me curious is it says that now that I have this made I am ready to baste my quilt. I don't want to baste it I want to quilt it. Geez. this is getting really technical. I hope the second one is easier.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9367226

depending on how you are quilting you need to baste your layers together, big stitches with thread, safety pins, spray basting...
making the quilt sandwich. holding the layers together so that you can quilt them. back of quilt - batting - top of quilt

on a rack like mine with three rails, you don't need to baste. all pieces connect to the front rail , backing connects to the middle rail, and then batting and quilt top connect to the third rail. the bulk of all is rolled onto the 2nd and 3rd rails, and you roll it onto the front rail as you quilt.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9367323

Oh, I thought they were saying that I had to baste it too. I have it all safety pined together now. with gobs of safety pins.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9367352

The racks that allow you to roll the various layers do not require pre-basting. But, once on the frame, they usually remain there till you are done. Much effort to un-do and then put back on.
Like a long-arm, you get a certain "throat space" depending on how far apart the top & bottom rail are. Do that space, then roll all the layers up & start on the next area.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9367376

Throat space. I guess I will understand that when I get that far. Going to the lumber yard today. Got to make my list.

1) 5 - 1 1/4 x 3/4 10' lengths or 2x2's Which would be better.
2) 6- 2' x 3/16" bolts w/washers and wing nuts
3) can of polyurethane
4) 30 or 40 bull dog clips, I fear these may be spendy can I use something else?
5)I think I have a drill for the holes.

This message was edited Dec 26, 2012 8:45 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9367380

Throat space is the distance to the right of your needle to the machine itself. Some people call it the bed...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9367393

Gotta go out. Will take pics when I return. I don't use clips
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9367415

Oh, Okay, but since I am hand quilting I won't have that space, right?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9367421

Oh great, what do you use. I was thinking thumbtacks???
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9367432

How do you feel about the Q-snap floor frames??? Are they any good.
http://www.hsn.com/crafts-sewing/q-snap-floor-frame_p-3423523_xp.aspx?o=PD-RV&sz=0&ocm=&attr=&subcat=&cat=&dept=&sf=&gs=&prev=&cm_sp=Recommendations-_-ProductDetail-_-bottom
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9367479

I was referring to the distance btwn the top & bottom bars as "throat space" - the depth of the area available for quilting.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9367502

OOOPs I'm sorry - I don't mean to confuse anyone with terminology!!!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9367516

Still learning so consider me the one with the quilters book for dummies. heheh
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9367549

Okay, ready? Jean will tell you it might be advisable to take Tylenol before reading one of my explanations. I'll get to share a few UFO's while at it.

This first one is the sawhorse frame. It originally had notches on the farthest ends only and was not rounded off. I kept stabbing myself on the edges. The extra notches accommodate smaller quilts. The rails shown are eight feet long. The notched wood is a four foot piece of 2"x"6.

Your batting and backing should extend beyond your quilt because they will shorten up in the quilting process. The larger the quilt the more extra backing and batting should be added.

Edited to add that you will need side to side tension as well as top and bottom. That is another story and not difficult to take care of.

This message was edited Dec 26, 2012 1:38 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9367562

This is another UFO, an applique, embroidery and quilted piece. Note that it is rolled with the bottom side out. That's to keep light and dust off the unfinished piece. If you have a piece on the frame you should always cover it when you leave the work to keep dust and light off. In embroidery pieces we even cover the sections we are not working on while we stitch.

Between the two posts you should be able to see lots of basting. The quality and distance of the stitches is not very important. Some people use a box method of vertical and horizontal lines and some use a radial method like spokes of a wheel. I lay the piece on a large table and use a soft sculpture needle to baste. I take the biggest stitches possible. A big quilt can take days to baste but that's my preferred way to keep layers from shifting. My issue with pin basting is if your piece ends up a UFO for a long time the pins might rust in the piece. I don't use spray basting because I don't want any chemicals on my quilts. Just me. Basting is a good way to get rid of aged thread, cheap thread or weird colors.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9367567

WOW - Thank you so much Laurel for sharing your expertise with us. You do beautiful work... I love the frame - just wish the hands still worked...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9367576

Here is one of two portable roller frames. The first photo shows the fabric thumbtacked to one of two 48" dowels. That required a hammer and I bent a lot of tacks. The other end is pressed in and there are safety pins to attach the quilt. The fabric needs to be sturdy and applied straight so your quilt is not out of square when you attach it. The two side pieces are 20" long. The holes to seat the dowels were made with a 1" Forstner bit. SO used the bit on a drill press but he says you can do it with a drill. He cut the nails and sanded the ends. You can see the holes where the nails go through in photo three. The distance between the two holes is 17" at the center of the holes.

The quilts on this frame can easily be removed and stored but because the frame is small it is easy to store with the quilt on or travel with the piece. The limitation of this frame is finding dowels larger than four feet. Guess you could move up to closet rods.

Hope this answers some questions and gives you some ideas.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9367581

Barb, thanks so much. You know, you folks are the real experts here. I am just the pioneer woman of needlework. I wish my hands worked the way the used to. :) I think the stitching actually helps even though I do have days where I am sore.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9367909

those look like marvelous frames Laurel, and I agree with Barb. Beautiful work.

do you put the smaller frame up on the saw horses ?? hmmmm I am thinking...something similar but a bit smaller to only accommodate a crib size quilt.

I do not have anything on my big frame for tension on the sides. never seem to have a problem with that.

Jan I always thought those q snap frames looked very interesting, would like the opportunity to try one, before buying one...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9367955

Thunder, there are things I'd change with both frames. These might give you ideas to improve upon. Mine were made mostly with scrap materials in SO's wood collection. I can hang the second frame from the sawhorses by tying it on but I'd like to have something more scaled down. When I suspend that frame by laces I can raise or lower it depending on what I use for seating. I'd like to do a more sophisticated design but as long as I can keep stitching all is good. The goal is design for stands that is light weight, portable and easy to store. I hang the small frames from chairs and have also hung them from two pedestals that were former cat scratching posts. We are now out of the cat business. The small frame can suspend from whatever is handy.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 27, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9368175

Didnt read all above but I bought the Flynn machine quilting frame which takes no room at all and I know you hand quilt..theflynn also has a stand that allows hand quilting..takes no room at all and holds the quilt for easy quiltimg
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9368282

I have used the Qsnap frames for Cross stitch but not sure how the larger one would work. I am also considering making something for PVC pipe and corner pieces that just snap onto the sides and ends. I figured I could take and cover the two end pieces with fabric that is attached by either staple or glue and then I can pin my quilt to the fabric and then roll and unroll as I need it. The two side pieces don't have to be too long as I will be rolling and unrolling as I go. I can set that on chairs also. Does this sound like a workable frame???
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9368343

I can't envision it but if it seems affordable and doable give it a try. The rails on the frame need to be as wide as the narrowest side of the quilt plus extra inches to seat the frame. After all, you can't fold the quilt over while you're quilting on a frame and if you drape a portion over one side the quilt will not be properly "framed up", hence the layers might warp. I know PVC frames exist and their weight and ability to come apart easily seems a great bonus but I don't understand how the PVC is rigid enough to hold a large piece without some warp. I just can't say with any knowledge.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9368372

No, I would roll it as I go onto the pvc pipe as it will be able to turn. Sort of like this picture

http://www.ehow.com/how_4928734_make-home-quilting-frame.html
This one is smaller then what I have in mind but along the same general idea.

This site has some great ideas

http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pipe.htm

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 27, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9368514

I use mine for machine quilting but will order the hand sewing base so my sister can use it for her hand quilting

http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/oak-frame-stand/
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9368715

Well, I borrowed this one from our local quilt shop and I think I like it. Its light and it works for me. Have to check into the price of maybe a used one or go for a new one.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

December 27, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9368754

Oh that was great they let you borrow it Jan. Looks like it will do the trick just fine.
Wow first quilt and no UFO's your a Rock Star!!!!!
Cher
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9368758

When you are hand quilting, how do you keep your stitches lined up so straight. I mean, well you put the needle down through the layers and without looking you are suppose to come up right next to the stitch you just made. I know this sounds stupid but maybe I'm just not that coordinated as my stitches want to come back up to the side or too far in front. I know that there must be a special tip for this.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9368849

PRACTICE, practice, and more PRACTICE!!!! You sort of guide where the needle comes back up using the finger on the top side - the finger w/out the thimble on it.
If you are quilting straight lines, you can get narrow tape to lay on the top side. The needle will take the path of least resistance and follow the edge of the tape.

Sorry, no easy trick that I know of.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9368879

Okay, I will keep practicing. I am getting better.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9369042

Jan, look at this video...not perfect, but a decent example of doing the quilting stitch. I own one of the needle threaders, it is great. when I am going to sit for awhile and do a bunch of stitching, I thread 5 or 6 needles. sew i can stitch away...

although I think this light looks pretty nifty, I prefer my ott light. I can situate it so my hand does not make a shadow on my quilt.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9369141

No link for video or picture but I just brought down my magnifying lamp and that helps immensely. Would like to see the quilting stitching though.
Is it a youtube video?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9369622

Jan this is a link to a hand quilting class on line... http://link.e.newtrackmedia.com/s/ve?eli=43331858&si=g540599673&cfc=3html

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9370175

now that is funny the link disappeared try it again..
http://youtu.be/xD0M7gE_dE0
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9370187

I actually signed up for that hand quilting class, plus two more classes, on Christmas Day. Ive always wanted to do it, but thought since I know I would never finish a whole quilt, why learn. Wall hangings was the answer. I have not started it yet, but it says you can access it forever.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9370322

I started hand quilting on pillow covers - 16". Very easy to hold & portable. Don't take too much time.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9370350

I dont know what got into my that I signed up for those. It was Christmas night, we had just gotten back from Melbourne, my eyes were laying on the desk I was so tired, and up popped those classes. It said they were on sale for that price till the end of the day and I just went for it. After just watching that you tube video Im not sure I would have done it. How can something be pleasant that looks to tear up your thumb. I dont know, but Ill soon find out. :-)

brrrrr cold morning
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9370360

You end up with caluses in very little time.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9370442

barefootT, that is exactly what I was looking for. How to do the short tight stitches. I have to get one of those thimbles too. I just found one in a catalog so I am going to order one. I may check up at our local quilt store first to see if she has them. They light is great too. I can never seem to get just the right lighting. Thanks that was a great help.
All of you have helped me so much. I think that quilting is a good thing if you aren't in a hurry. I have plenty of time and its very soothing to me but I was having problems getting that rocking motion in my stitches. They kept coming out too long.

Oh, and that needle threader, OMG I have to have one of those. If anything makes me more crazy it is not being able to get my blankety blank needles threaded. Even with my new glasses I can hardly get it done. Makes me so frustrated I want to throw the spool and needle across the room. heheh

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 8:36 AM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9370569

Yea...that video is going to cost me too. All three of the above mentioned seem a must have :-).
What catalog did you see the thimble in, Ive only checked the website she mentioned
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9370798

Nancy's Notions page77 Early Winter 2013 catalog
Its a Thimble set. you get a leather thimble and a rubber thimble with a metal ridge tip with divits for $14.99
Want to fing that needle threader though. That is a must have.

nancysnotions.com
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9370853

http://stores.quiltcrafts.com/StoreFront.bok

This is the main page to where you get the threader, it also has the light and thimble she showed. Your just going to have to type in needle threader where it says search.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9370854

I think Annies quilt and sew has the threader...used to be clotilde

yup here you go, and on sale too!!! http://www.anniescatalog.com/list.html?criteria=needle threader&go.x=11&go.y=3
I LOVE MINE

thimble is here http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfSearch/Search.cfm?q=thimble

I have this one it is the only thimble I ever use http://www.connectingthreads.com/Tools/UltraThimble__D81703.HTML
needle threader cheaper here too http://www.connectingthreads.com/CloverNeedleThreader_TDCloverNeedleThreader.html
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9370889

Good looking thunder. Thanks. And yes, 20% off everything at annies till tomorrow night.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9370910

Oh, I like the looks of that thimble. I may have to get a couple and give it a try. At that price I would rather buy two just incase one gets misplaced.

And Annies does have the needle threader cheaper then Nancy. Thanks Yall

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9370911

People, people, people... how can I expect to make and keep a resolution to reduce debt with all this "help"??? LOL

I have made a list of questions for ME when I am tempted to purchase fabric:
Is it for a project that I am working on CURRENTLY?
Do I have something ALREADY that I could get by with?
If not, can I, or should I, switch a project that I aready have started and HAVE all the stuff for??

Early in the year I was doing SOooooooooo good about not buying fabric and last few months I've gone a little CRAZY! 40% with additional $ off is NO reason to purchase more stash. NOT right now.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9371108

Pat - Oh, NO!!!!! And here I was thinking by shopping at the great sales I was helping to stimulate the economy!!!! Remember - fabric does not spoil. It will eventually be used for something FABULOUS!!!!

Just got an email from LQS that has been closed for the holidays. She is having 30% off all fabrics tomorrow. Guess I will have to go up & wish her a Happy New year (and stimulate the economy a bit)!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9371178

I am only buying fabric to do charity pillowcases. Ive come to the conclusion, if its just for me, Ill never finish it. I want to do some of Barbs crayon bags for the Childrens Home Society as well. Any ideas welcome.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9371238

I am weak... I am easily led astray!!! hehehe

I"m going to enjoy my day off. I have a young man coming this morning to help me schelp stuff around in preparation of the painting in the studio.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9371293

Jan, I was looking for something...and found this
http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Frame-Start-Right-EZ3-Frame-Plain/dp/B002NR5CD8/ref=pd_sbs_ac_4
http://www.amazon.com/FA-Edmunds-Traditional-Quilt-Frame/dp/B006FRQR2C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_3
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9371369

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Start-Right-Pattern-Leaders-Majestic/dp/B003AJSUPK/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

What is this, and do you need it to get started? Im having a serious 'think' about the grace frame

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9371378

you will need leader cloth on some of the frames, some of the newer ones no. they have a tract ?? that holds fabric, so no leaders required. as is the case with the one in the link above.

I made my own out of some fabric I had on hand.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9371386

O good. Thanks
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9373410

Checking back here and see there's been a lot of advice posted. I started reading when you borrowed the PVC frame. How did that work out? Personally, I couldn't position my hands to comfortably quilt over the fat rail. That must be the size needed to stabilize the rest of the frame and the rails.

Regarding stitches...practice is very important but there's a lot to it that is out of your control unless certain choices are made in the beginning. There are even weave fabrics where the warp and weft are equal in thread count and you are working on something that is like miniature cross stitch fabric. This is best for stitching but does not allow you freedom of pattern choices. The uneven thread count between the vertical vs. the horizontal weave in most fabrics makes for differences in stitch. If you have more threads running in one direction than the other your stitches cannot be the same on the vertical than the horizontal. Corners and seams are other variables.

How many stitches are you stacking? Stacking at least three stitches will give you straighter lines. If you are running down seam lines yo might only get two. Sometimes I have to stab stitch corners but I try to avoid this if possible. Seams and corners are when I break a lot of needles.

What brand and size needles are you using? That can make a difference. Each hand quilter finds needles and sizes that work best for them. I am always testing new needles. Sometimes what's best for one project is not best for another.

Hand stitchers don't always (usually, lol) agree about the size stitch that look best. I can quilt tiny stitches but then they don't show up as part of the design on the quilt. I prefer stitches that compliment the piece; sometimes big and sometimes small. There are a lot of videos that show a miniscule top stitch and then a large space. Ideally stitch space should be equal to stitch length. Then again, the fabric, seams, backing and batting have a lot to do with what is possible.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9373548

Decided I didn't like the large PVC frame and I am back with my large hoop. That seems to be the easiest for me to maneuver .
If I understand right, stacking, I am doing two stitches at a time. Anymore and I can't pull it through. I am using the rocking motion where as my needle goes straight down just till I feel the point then back up through the layers. Not sure if you can tell from these pics but this is my hand stitching, how is that looking?
I got some of those leather finger pads like the little metal ones but they seem to be working out okay, better then the big thimble.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9373640

I think you are doing great!

Try these for pulling your needles. http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase/details.php?ITEM_NUM=3052 They are available at many big and small fabric stores. I mark mine with colored markers because they seem to get lost easily. You can cut your own if you can find those jar twisters that are thin and solid rubber and not the ones that are foam with holes.

I have two pairs of hemostats. One has its tips wrapped in masking tape to keep from damaging the needle when I need to pull and the rubber grabber doesn't work. The other is for when I break a needle and need to scrunch the fabric to grab the broken piece. Kind of like splinter removal. My hemostats were gifts from doctors I've worked with but some quilt stores carry them or you can get them on line. Really the tools you need are not expensive.

Buy a few types of needles and put them next to each other. I use ten betweens for mixed fabrics and twelve betweens for finer fabrics. I might just stick with tens in the future as twelves are thinner and break so easily. Observe the length, the points and see how long they last before breaking. Alternate one needle with the other to compare drag on the needle. You will begin to notice some brands slide better, some have points that stay sharper longer and some are more sturdy. Even though needles are listed as the same size they are not exactly. There are small differences in needle lengths which may make a difference in your stitching. Generally, the shorter the needle the easier it is to stack because you don't have as much needle length to move through the fabric.

My advice would be to stick to the hoop. It's really the most versatile way to quilt solo. You may want to reconsider a frame or a hoop stand when the weather gets warmer and you don't want the piece in your lap. At that point you will have the experience to make a more informed decision.

Hope this helps.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9373846

When I do use a thimble I use the leather with metal coins in the tips. Of course I usually use the thimble to push the needle back up & thru the layers.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9373931

I bought some of the little leather pads as they did't have the ones with the metal disks so I am going to order them. I have a pair of old rubber gloves that I cut the fingers out of and use to pull the needle through.
By stacking are you saying how many stitches you have on your needle? I think I am understanding that.
Thank you all for the great suggestions. They are truly helping immensely.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013

Post #9373976

I have my little metal disc thimbles and my needle threader on order. Yea, Moving right along.
Does anyone have any great Hawaiian Patterns. My daughter wants a Hawaiian quilt and when she was a little girl my Ex-MIL gave me a beautiful Hawaiian Quilt the eventually fell apart as it laid under a bright sunny window that faded and basically destroyed this wonderful quilt. Not being too wise at that time, I had no idea what sunlight can do to fabric and wonderful quilts. I am kicking myself now but that was many many moon ago.

So I would really love to see some Hawaiian flower patterns to make a quilt. ;-}

See I am hooked already. heheh
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9373978

What you you suggest trying to learn on. A frame, in a hoop? Im worried about holding hoop and trying to get things right. I dont want to get discouraged at the get-go, or Ill be on to something else.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9373991

Jean, are you stab stitching if the needle is under the fabric?

I used to use leather ring thimbles with flexible plastic but after having needles go through the leather, as well as the plastic, I cut tiny strips of gutter guard and put that under the leather. They allow for proper pushing because you use the side of your finger. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/tacony-CL612.php?catargetid=1683400480&gclid=CLfIopm2zLQCFRRbnAod1WkAsA I've switched back to regular metal thimbles with the grids on the tip. They seem more comfortable these days. Not the ones with the dimples on the tips because they have rounded tips that slip. I use both medium and large ones and shift from middle finger to ring finger.

Yes, stacking means to have several stitches on the needle at once. The objective is to get three or four. Usually the first stitch is larger. One goal is to minimize the size of the first stitch. Another is to minimize the number of first stitches.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9374001

Sorry, we crossed. I think the easiest way to learn is on a frame but the most reasonable way to learn is with a hoop. Also, a hoop makes the piece super portable. Whether you use a hoop or a frame the fabric is not stretched, just kept together evenly. You learn to balance the hoop in your lap while both hands are free to stitch. Get at least a fourteen inch hoop. I think mine are sixteens. When you take your piece off the hoop try to make as few folds as possible and roll the piece to transport or store.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9374026

Coming from a newbie, I have tried both and the hoop is my preference as it is much more portable and easier to manipulate as far as turning so that I can have my stitches coming towards me. Not sure if that is the way it is suppose to be done but it works much better for me to have my needle moving towards me then to the side or away from me. I seem to have more control.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9374306

Are you wanting HI applique patterns??? I have a ton of them for 18" blocks.
D-mail me for any particular flower/pattern you are wanting. Got most of my patterns for the 80+ yo woman who taught the class I took.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9374330

Oh Gosh, I don't know what the flower patterns are, I just know that I really like some that I have seen. I like the pineapple too. The Plumeria and Anthurium are pretty too but I don't have any particular choices.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9374923

Well, let me find them & I'll copy some & send them off to you. These have no copyrights.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9388287

MY SAVING GRACE

OMG, how did I ever get along with out this awesome tool. I do believe that God had a hand in creating this. I can thread a needle with my eyes closed. Seriously. This is the best $12.50 I ever spent. Oh, and Thunder, I love, love, love my little metal thimble disc. It is so small and just so comfortable and does exactly what I needed it to do.

Thank you all for the awesome suggestions. Working on the outer blocks of my quilt now. Getting closer to border or Binding time. Woo Hoo.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9388334

I just love to hear the excitement in your voice when you post. I swear I can hear you!!!! Amazing what these little gadgets come to mean to us isn't it?????

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9388339

ya, I need to learn to keep my "voice" down, even if it is my lunch break!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9388382

Wow, sounds like you are flying fingers! Any pics?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9388426

Here are a few pics of my quilt so far. All of the light areas are stitched with I think its called an Echo stitch that goes outside of the ditch???? A whole lot of hand stitching.
I did one area by machine and I hated it. I have left it only because this is my learning quilt and believe me I am learning a lot as far as the sewing part goes.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 17, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9388429

We sure are gadget people. Lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9388467

I think it looks fantastic and you have learned so much. My embroidery teacher says every piece you do is your history and will reflect mistakes. But mistakes are a part of learning and learning is a strength, not a weakness. If you really can't live with something then change it, otherwise move on. This was a hard lesson for me. I was forever tearing out. Even to the point of damaging the fabric. Now I realize as I get older I'll probably not stitch better. I have learned to accept my work as my best at the time. I bet you've already noticed that some days you stitched great and some days not so much. Each day brings a different physical environment to your work. The weather or light has an effect. How stressed or relaxed you are will be reflected in your stitches. The best time to stitch is in the morning and in natural light but that is far from realistic for most of us.

I'll take a few pics of the wedding quilt section I am working on now. This one is going faster than the previous two. Maybe it's the crummy weather. I'm enjoying seeing another hand worked piece. Thanks for posting.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9388535

It looks wonderful Jan. glad you like the gadgets !! don't know if I could live without either one LOL...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9388549

Where did you end up ordering them from. Could you take a picture of the thimble disc, or what you call it when looking it up

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9388584

thimble I use http://www.connectingthreads.com/Tools/UltraThimble__D81703.HTML

needle threader http://www.connectingthreads.com/CloverNeedleThreader_TDCloverNeedleThreader.html if you look around you may be able to find this cheaper, but I have never seen the thimble anywhere else.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9388594

Its the one that barefootT just share a link to. They are absolutely perfect. Not too much and just enough. I also use a little leather disc on my pointer finger to help pull the needle through.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9395911

Someone posted some quilting terms somewhere but I can't find them. Can someone please explain this to me.
I am trying to cut a pattern using a 1/4 seam but not sure how to cut this. It sort of looks very similar to my flying geese that it did.
What is HST mean?

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9395925

Half square triangle

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9395936

HST half square triangle you can cut two triangles and sew them together to make a square, or you can sew two squares together...
take two squares, place the lighter color on top, mark a diagonal line from one corner to opposite corner. sew 1/4 '' away on both sides of the line. then cut apart on the line.

you now will have two HST's

there is a math formula to make them with the two squares, to get the size you want. I think it is to add 7/8 to the size of square, so for above you would cut your squares 3 7/8ths...I just use 4''. and trim down to size .

you can also do a bunch from 2 strips of fabric , if you need many of same colors.

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT      

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9395943

check this out Jan. http://www.incolororder.com/2012/01/hst-block-of-month-intro.html this blog is wonderful for inspiration, and she does great tutorials..

this is hst bom from last year. Half square triangles, block of the month.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9395958

Thunder, you dont know of any good BOM people have for this year do you? Im started one last year that went July 2012 to 2013. I would like to get another one going along with it. I seem to do much better with BOM when it comes to finishing, and enjoying doing. I guess its because others are doing it along with you, and its fun to share and see others pictures.

Im terrible at HST, I know Pat loves them. I know it waste fabric, but I usually do them by the cheater method using two whole squares for one hst. Ive tried tiger tape, but that takes too long to line up and lay on. If I have to do alot, I go with the paper with the markings, and do in strips.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9395968

Awww... I love you guys. Thank you so much. You're all so helpful.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9395973

No need to use HST for flying geese.
Much easier to make the goose body a rectangle - always 2X as long as wide. Then for the corners, instead of HST, use squares that equal the width and sew on the diagonal.

Anytime you are working with a diagonal you run the risk of some unwanted stretching.

If you look at the sticky postings on the top of this forum, there should be examples of many of the sewing methods.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9396015

Quilter, that is what I did for my quilt that I am working on now. It worked great that way.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9407451

Okay gang. I am all done with the exception of the outside row around three sides. The rest has all been quilted. Whew ! !
Then all I need to do is to all the binding and I will be done. Baxter likes it except when he wants my attention then he hates it , hehehe

The I am moving on to a Hawaiian quilt for my daughter.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9407510

Jan,,that is a Beautiful quilt! You did a wonderful job on it! I think you have caught the quilting bug now!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
4:12 AM

Post #9407688

Fantastic job Jan. You should be really proud of yourself!!!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9408086

Oh thank you. I am excited to finish it so I can start on my next one.

Well Linda, I guess that she has changed her mind on the Hawaiian quilt, much to my pleasure. Whew!!! So... I am going to do something with batiks and any colors will be great. I am still working on a plan but if you have some that you want to part with I will gladly help and just figure out what you want to send and I will box up the gourd. If you want, I will go ahead and mail it to you so you can see how big it is. Its an awesome gourd and I think that if you were to add a coat of varnish or varathane to it you could do a small bead display like my Santa one.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9408152

I will go through, and see what I have! I have to agree, that hawaiian quilt would have been a headache!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9408173

This is a very wonderful first or second or one hundredth work! Congratulations (hope you don't get a fat head). :)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9408249

Ya, Jan is schooling me!! Completed projects... who knew?? LOL
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9408256

Very nice!!! To think you went from zero to finished, and Im still messing around with scraps, in the same amount of time.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9408264

Don't go there Pam! LOL... I do NOT want to think about it... (Denial can be good!! hehehe)

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

February 15, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9420076

Jan your quilt came out wonderful can't wait to see the next one. Oh and finished that is just plain amazing for your very 1st quilt.
Cher

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9420393

It is wonderful!!! Very proud of you...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9420403

Awesome pretty Jan.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9420439

I am going to start putting on the binding tomorrow. Then ...THEN... I am going to do a Hawaiian quilt. Woo Hoo. Now that is going to be a major accomplishment.
These are a few samples of the flowers I am going to use. I am going to make this into some pillows for myself. The colors for my daughters are more along the yellow lines.
Thanks to Taters55 I am going to have more then enough to complete my daughters quilt. It will all go on a light beige or light yellow backing.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9420468

You Go Girl.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9420527

Those fabrics are just stunning! Can't wait to see them in place and "starting"

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9420765

Me too!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 16, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9421181

Double wow, fantastic to say the least..
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9421372

I just have this basted on now comes the fun part, Needle embroidery. ewwww... hehehh Can't wait to start.
My other quilt is upstairs waiting for the first part of the binding which is machine stitched then hand stitched on the back side.
I am a glutton for punishment or a real addict. eheheh

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9421387

Im just beyond inspired inspired to finally give this a try.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 17, 2013
1:58 AM

Post #9421570

Awesome..

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9421616

Going to be gorgeous!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9421667

Very nice.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9423850

Jan, that is going to be a lot of work, but it will be so stunning when it is done!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9424090

Newbie quilter...and she just jumped right in there...Wonderful, I agree, going to be stunning. I need to get to work on the quilt I have on my rack...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9424131

How do you all prevent your thread from knotting while you are trying to sew. I am continuously trying to undo knots that are not planned. Its very frustrating. I switched to 100% cotton as I was told it was because it was a polyester blend???? Didn't make a bit of difference. I still get knots while I am trying to do all my detail hand stitching. ERRRRR...!!!!!!!
nickjav12
bhopal
India

February 19, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9424134

hi
welcome to this forum site .
i dont know about your question so please concern with your friends or expert in following field.
for more information click here-
[url=http://www.alladclassified.com] top ten classified website[/url]

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9424151

Jan, are you hand sewing? If so, I have read to use shorter pieces of thread to avoid all the knots. It is a lot more work, to keep threading the needle, but it will help to avoid all those knots and breaking thread.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9424165

I have found that running the thread over bees wax helps. There is also a product called 'Thread Heaven' (if I remember right!) that helps prevent tangles. I also dangle the needle and thread after a bit if stitching to let it 'unwind'. And what Linda said about maybe shortening your thread. Are you using 'hand quilting' thread? It is a bit heavier and less likely to tangle.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9424228

Use thread ~18" long. I thread 10 needles at a time. Some threads tangle more than others. new spool is less tangly than a spool with just a bit remaining.

Hard to describe but watch that you aren't "twisting" the needle as you are sewing. hard to know if you are doing that, but that does twist the thread.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9424287

Are you using quilting thread? I always specifically use hand quilting thread. It is a different weight and strand density than regular thread. Do not use quilting thread for machine quilting. It is way too thin to last after being repeatedly dragged through the layers of fabric. Also, Although I know many quilters use an 18" length, I don't exceed 12" for the same reason...the drag puts wear on your thread. As you quilt, rotate the needle with a twist between your fingers counter clockwise every few passes. This keeps the thread twisted in the same direction it is spun. One of the main reasons thread tangles is because it is becoming untwisted and is curling in on itself.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 19, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9424302

must tell you a story that happened over the weekend..

I had company doing placemats on Sunday, later when she left I thought I'd hand sew for a bit, was tired, still a bit under the weather re the 'flu'..

Came to the end of my thread, ahhh time to thread the needle, thought I had thread through the eye, pulled on thread, nope needed to thread it again..went to put the thread through the eye of the needle, thought I had it in and no go..did this about 15 times then thought ok, one more try..omg here rather than the long piece I had about a 2" piece, so the minute I would pull it through guess it would go straight thru and I'd think I hadn't put it in the eye...can't believe I was so patient
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9424310

Goodness Betty! Now you must be channeling me. I did the exact same thing over and over again last week. Thought I was losing it because I don't even need glasses to thread tens or twelves. I've never done that trick before.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9424320

Yep -I like long threads, If there were a way to keep it on the spool and keep on sewing I'd do it.

My mother used to say " Langes Faedchen, faules Maedchen". Meaning "lazy girls use long threads" Yep that's me. Need to invest in the miracle needle threader by clover leaf...
The menonites at the quilt shop actually understand this. They use 36" threads for handquilting, they get paid by the yards of thread they use.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9424488

I use thread marked hand quilting 100% cotton. I use beeswax, and I use about 36'' of thread...thread 5 or 6 needles at a time.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9425309

I bought one of the clover needle threaders and I don't know how I ever functioned with out it before. I had a feeling that it was because I was using too long of thread. Makes since. I do use the 100% cotton quilting thread so it must be because I have been using too long of thread. I will give that a try. Almost finished stitching the flower onto the backing then the fun begins with the echo quilting. Love the colors. I wish I could find some more of this particular color. It is by Benartex and is called fossil fern. I have been checking everywhere but it is an older production.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9425319

Go to...www.fabshophop.com and request it. Usually one of the shops will come up with it if it's at all available.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9425355

Are you attaching/appliqueing it with the quilting thread? Hand quilting thread is a bit too thick to use for applique.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9425553

I agree with what Jean says about thread for applique. Also, straw needles, also known as millner's needles, are generally used for this type work. I use ten or eleven Richard Hemming needles.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9425576

http://www.cottonclub.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?&lastmenu=&menu=submenu-2100.html

Jan try this site, they have that line of fabric listed.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9426537

Linda, I love you. hehehe, I found the fabric there. You are awesome, what can I say. Just thank you thank you thank you so much.
My day yesterday was like being in lala land. I almost feel like I had a stroke or something. I felt very confused and had a hard time concentrating. I do feel better today. They are saying that what I have can be treated but I will always have it and it can hit at anytime. GREAT! ! ! It felt like the ground came out from under my feet and I was free falling. It was horrifying. Don't know how else to describe it.
Not sure I want to drive anymore. As long as I take the Valium I should be okay. Oh great, now I'm a druggy hehehe.
Life goes on and as long as I can sit and quilt or what ever I will be happy.
Jan

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9426551

Ear problems will mess with your equilibrium/balance, so please be careful when that happens!
So glad you found that fabric!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9426606

AWWwwww an Enabler has jumped in the rescue a quilting addict!!! What are friends for??? hehehe

Seriously, I am always grateful when someone has the knowledge to help another quilter get what they need. Thanks Linda K!! You ARE awesome!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9426629

The bright batiks sure give an entirely different look to the HI flowers. I may need to pick up some FQs and give some a try.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9427647

My dearest friend is back in the hospital, I am afraid she won't be coming home this time. They found her yesterday at home and she had ripped off her top and cut all the drain tubes they had to release fluids from around the tumor and she was extremely disoriented. I was too sick to even get off the couch so I called someone to go check on her,
I am praying that if she has chosen to stop treatments and let go and let God that she will go with out pain. My heart is breaking but I do understand. She has put up a long hard battle. Love you Linda Johnson.

If you are too afraid to look behind you, and too scared to look ahead. Look beside you and I will be there.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9427785

Jan, so sorry to hear this about Linda! Sending prayers for her.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 22, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9427808

sending prayers along with LindaKay's..hard to watch someone you love slip away!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9427822

I know Linda is now embraced with love and peace and certainly is in no pain. I hope your pain on her passing is short lived, until you two meet up again one day.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9427856

Aw. Jan. Life is so hard at times. Take care of yourself now.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9427890

I"m sorry Jan, sending you love and hugs with a thoughts of quality of life for Linda.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9427897

So sorry Jan, hugs, it's always hardest on those left behind.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9428853

I just received news that my dear friend won't be coming home and will be going into a nursing care facility that will give her 24/7 care. This is just going to devastate her to the max. SHe is going to be so consumed with the loss of her dogs that if nothing else this will put her over the edge. Her other dear friend is going to take them for her. She is on Morphine right now so she is in and out and I really don't believe that it will be that long for her in this world.
Keep her in your thoughts and prayers please and make her passing an easy one.
Thank you all for your kind and generous thoughts.
I love you all
Jan

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9428872

Hugs Jan.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 23, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9428894

Sending prayers

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9428954

Praying for your friend Jan that she has peace and comfort. And also praying for strength for those who are left behind. God bless you...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9429070

Sending lots of prayers for her Jan! Does she have any family nearby? Glad to hear she has someone to take her dogs and care for them!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9429132

Yes, her daughter moved down from Washington and built a barn house right next door to her but in all sincerity, there seems to be a lack of showing emotion or love. I know she does but she claims she is like her father that way in the fact that she doesn't show a lot of emotion. She does have a huge amount on her plate with having to deal with her Moms home and it is big along with all of her belongings and her new business plus now they have to find a care facility for her to live in that is within the hospital region which is about 1 1/2 hrs from here. I have offered as has my dear sweet husband and all of her other friends and sister in law to help but her daughter needs a bit of space just now to absorb all that is happening. I do understand and feel bad that I am not able to do more just now.
Thanks again for all of the kindness and understanding. You are all so great. Thank God I have my Hawaiian blocks to work on to help me keep my sanity so to speak. Finished the one now on to the next. Haven't started the quilting part just the applique.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9429250

Isn't it wonderful the calmness that our handwork provides for us. We are able to sew along and let our minds go where they choose. Whether it is a happy or sad thought, we are able to have them in peace when we sew... We are truly blessed my friends with our work as we are with each other...God bless you Jan and know we are there with you...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9429379

You nailed it , Barb.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9429403

YUP couldn't of said it better myself...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9429617

Thinking of you this morning Jan - and praying for your friend.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2013

Post #9681953

I finished it. Yea !!! It only took me about a year. Not because I was working on it all the time but because I was working on my daughters Hawaiian quilt that is still a WIP. But check this out. I am so proud. It is my very first quilt, all hand quilted and the only machine stitching was on one side of the border and hum... I guess thats all, the rest is all hand stitched.I really love the vintage Santa fabric that I bought from a friend on FB.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9681956

That turned out so beautiful Jan!! You are such a talented person. I love to see your work.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9681993

Great job!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 9, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9682048

You should be proud! Hand stitched...oh my! I love it :)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 9, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9682064

better than great, am sure you are thrilled with the finished project!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9682153

That turned out fantastic!

I tried hand quilting. For about 5 minutes.

Binding I'll do by hand. That's it for now, tho! :-)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9682165

Great job Jan. She will be thrilled I'm sure...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9682559

"For about 5 minutes" LOL
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2013
3:15 AM

Post #9682620

Pat - do you have your house now?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9682628

Congrats Jan!!!!! Now you are "offically" a quilter!!!!!

What is the next project?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9682715

YES, we hired some help who got a little carried away and brought everything out of storage and it's all in the house. We'll be completely out of my sister's by Saturday night.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9682887

Well, as some of you may know that my dear friend did pass away in March and two days later my Stepson had a massive heart attack and died also. It was a very difficult month for both my husband and I. We are now living in my dear friends house and I feel surrounded by her and her wonderful gardens and home. I miss her laughter and hugs but I still feel her presence.
Qwilter, my current project is my daughters Hawaiian Quilt which is a story unto itself. There is another posting for this but I will show you a picture of it so far. I am farther along than this but I need a hubby to hold it up and can't show you an updated version but its Queen size.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9682894

Jan that is beautiful!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9682957

This is all hand appliqued and basted. As soon as I finish the Appliqued part the quilting will all be hand done also. It is going to be echo stitched on the entire quilt.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9682966

That will be a labor of love.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9683224

It most certainly is that!!! You have done an outstanding job on this Jan. It is truly stunning.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9683251

I bow to you Jan, you certainly are doing lovely work. The challenges you are taking on are amazing.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9683964

Thank you so very much for the complements.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 12, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9684214

Outstanding!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2013
3:52 AM

Post #9684724

Jan - I'm amazed at how quickly this quilt has happened. Takes me forever to do applique. And it looks simply WONDERFUL. You need to hang that in a quilt show when done.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9684799

I sure agree with that, Looking very "show worthy" to me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America