Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house: attached solar greenhouse considerations

Communities > Forums > Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house
bookmark
Forum: Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)houseReplies: 0, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
treesmoocher
Spencer, WV

December 17, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9360504

We completed a solar greenhouse built onto the south wall of our octagonal house just about a year ago. This is in West Virginia, zone 6. It cost a little less than a thousand dollars in materials, and is 8' by 12'. So far it has served all the purposes I hoped for it quite well, except that it's a bit small for a good hangout spot--when I've left a chair in there, it's gotten in my way. I generally found it TOO bright for reading anyway. Because we have large hickories overhanging the house on the southwest, we had to build a solid metal roof over it (the falling nuts would have cracked glass or plastic) But there is another roof under that, and the south end has glass; in winter the low angled sun shines through but in summer it doesn't. The greenhouse, which is adequately vented, did not make the house hotter in summer thanks to that shade. On sunny days, even in winter, I have to open the vents (including a screen door to the house, where it often adds desirable warm air). I figured I could bring my plants through a cold night by leaving a metal bucket of coals from our woodstove in there--but last winter was so warm I never needed to try it. We have three barrels of water for thermal mass and one with holes for compost, for CO2 and a little extra warmth, across the north side The biggest negative of this design is that the greenhouse cuts down considerably, all year, on light coming into the house from the south, previously the best-lit section. One part of this is the cheap but permanently stained sheets of glass we used--a bigger part is the solid roof. If you have nothing dropping objects onto your roof and use glass or plastic, you will have less of a problem with this but perhaps a problem with undesirable heat in summer. The perfect situation, if you had a big slope to the south, would be a greenhouse mostly below the south side of the house, so your south windows could look out over the top of the greenhouse, which could vent warm air up into the house.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent information Riverland 5 Jun 5, 2009 4:43 PM
My first "Greenhouse" weidner 0 Dec 10, 2007 1:44 PM
Question about purchasing a greenhouse sueannmail 1 Apr 17, 2012 9:38 AM
4 Season Affordable Greenhouse coloradogrower 4 Nov 10, 2011 10:49 PM
Cedar Built Greenhouse of BC Diva_D 0 Mar 18, 2010 3:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America