Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Butterfly ID Please

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I never labeled this photo from 2010.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm a butterfly novice, 6 mon experience, so for what it is worth this is my opinion. This is not an Indiana butterfly but a warm climate specimen. It is a Junonia evarete-tropical buckeye. A beauty and absolutely gorgeous with topside view of wings open.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Where was the photo taken nanny and is it on a palm?

It was taken here in my front yard here in Indiana. It is on a lily stalk

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Shorthog, i think you are doing really well...i've been at this for 5 years and am still a novice.

Nanny and Shorthog...this looks like a Junonia evarete, but i don't know. It is a neotropical butterfly that is normally found in Florida and the Caribbean, possibly south Texas, Mexico, Central America, and subtropical and tropical South America...so i don't know what it is doing in Indiana. I will send a D-Mail to lepfarmer to see what he has to say about this one.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Since this is an Indiana butterfly it is likely a Common buckeye. ID'ing buckeyes by underwing view has been very contentious on "BugGuide". "Butterflies of America" web site has examples of underwing views that support any of the three buckeyes (Common, Mangrove, Tropical). "Butterflies and Moths of North America" has examples of Common buckeyes that appear similar to the specimen in question.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/gallery?stage=All&species_view=All&species_type=All&family=All&field_sciname_value=&field_comname_value=common+buckeye

I think you are probably right shorthog about it being a Common Buckeye....but if it were something else that would be very cool!!

Thank you both for helping!

Red Oak, TX

Definitely Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia). The ventral surfaces of J. coenia can be quite variable. This particular "look" is one I see quite often.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Thanks for your comments Dale. Shorthog also came to this conclusion and nanny you should be comfortable now that you have a correct ID. Yes it would have been pretty cool to see a neotropical butterfly in Indiana, but what you have is no less beautiful. I love these butterflies ("common" and otherwise) and have a host plant on the way for them which will also host the Malachites and White Peacocks so i am looking forward to seeing more of them in my garden.

Thanks everyone! I love all butterflies that pass my way!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.