Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Butterfly ID Please

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9360801

I never labeled this photo from 2010.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Click the image for an enlarged view.

C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9371582

I'm a butterfly novice, 6 mon experience, so for what it is worth this is my opinion. This is not an Indiana butterfly but a warm climate specimen. It is a Junonia evarete-tropical buckeye. A beauty and absolutely gorgeous with topside view of wings open.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 31, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9371720

Where was the photo taken nanny and is it on a palm?

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9372236

It was taken here in my front yard here in Indiana. It is on a lily stalk

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 1, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9372267

Shorthog, i think you are doing really well...i've been at this for 5 years and am still a novice.

Nanny and Shorthog...this looks like a Junonia evarete, but i don't know. It is a neotropical butterfly that is normally found in Florida and the Caribbean, possibly south Texas, Mexico, Central America, and subtropical and tropical South America...so i don't know what it is doing in Indiana. I will send a D-Mail to lepfarmer to see what he has to say about this one.
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9372325

Since this is an Indiana butterfly it is likely a Common buckeye. ID'ing buckeyes by underwing view has been very contentious on "BugGuide". "Butterflies of America" web site has examples of underwing views that support any of the three buckeyes (Common, Mangrove, Tropical). "Butterflies and Moths of North America" has examples of Common buckeyes that appear similar to the specimen in question.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/gallery?stage=All&species_view=All&species_type=All&family=All&field_sciname_value=&field_comname_value=common buckeye

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9372343

I think you are probably right shorthog about it being a Common Buckeye...but if it were something else that would be very cool!!

Thank you both for helping!
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

January 1, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9372745

Definitely Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia). The ventral surfaces of J. coenia can be quite variable. This particular "look" is one I see quite often.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 1, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9372758

Thanks for your comments Dale. Shorthog also came to this conclusion and nanny you should be comfortable now that you have a correct ID. Yes it would have been pretty cool to see a neotropical butterfly in Indiana, but what you have is no less beautiful. I love these butterflies ("common" and otherwise) and have a host plant on the way for them which will also host the Malachites and White Peacocks so i am looking forward to seeing more of them in my garden.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9373479

Thanks everyone! I love all butterflies that pass my way!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America