Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
infogarden
Scituate, MA

December 17, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9360810

Weird, unexplained things have always happened to me in my life, but this is just a mystery almost a miracle I would say! I have a normal spider plant. I have had this spider plant about 10 years. I also believe it is male, because it has never grown babies. I have indoor plants as well as outdoor plants, however, I would not call myself garden guru at all. I realize when plants are placed together, such as in a window, they will start to cling together. I don't know why they do this. However, this spider plant hangs in a window in the kitchen by itself. Recently I bought a fake plant that lights up and has white flowers with orange in the middle similar to a poinsettia. I placed it on the table underneath the spider plant. After about 2 months I noticed another plant growing out of the spider plant. Remarkably, it looks a lot like the fake plant underneath it. This new plant has a strong stock and is growing straight out with little white flowers with orange in the middle. Is it possible that a new plant that is the fake plant could be growing out of my spider plant. Weirder things have happened. I have attached pictures. I would love some feedback. Thank you. Jenny

Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9360821

IMO, you have a baby spider growing- no mystery there- I don't think there are sex differences in spider plants- I have 2 offspring plants from a neighbors plant that produces dozens of babies- I rooted several from it- my 2 are totally barren, and not even like each other- take a look at the plants on each end- the center is an Aloe Vera- the spider on the left has skinny long leaves- on the right the leaves are quite wide and shorter- I have no explanation for this- I potted them both in the same mix and they get fed the same- I guess they are like children- they are individuals!!

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rlalique
Bristol
United Kingdom

December 17, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9360827

Looks like your Spider plant is flowering.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9361024

Agreed, the Spider plant has finally decided to bloom. End of story.
But since you were ready to believe your science fiction, maybe you can e-publish a story on it, and sell it to others!
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9361687

Chlorophytum plants are not dioecious. The stalks may have just flowers, just babies, or flowers and babies on the same stalk. Good looking plant!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America