Photo by Melody

Southwest Gardening: anybody keep their Kalanchoe beharensis outside in winter?

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9361117

Does anyone have any experience with keeping Kalanchoe beharensis outside during the winter? I have one that I was hauling in and out but I repotted this summer in a fairly large pot that's too big for me to haul in and out with the frost warnings... Jake added to give a sense of size. In the Plant Files it says they are hardy to 25 degrees. I've never quite dared to leave it out... Comments, anyone.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9361118

Whoops - for some reason pictures didn' t load. I'll try again.

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs   Thumbnail by allgr8dogs   Thumbnail by allgr8dogs      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9361272

I know nothing at all about that plant, except that it has beautiful foliage. Are they fairly easy in our climate?

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9361400

I have two small K. beharensis outside all year long. They are in a protected area in pots. If there is any chance of frost, I cover with frost cloth. They have been fine for several years now. Actually I had a big plant, but the lower leaves all fell off over time so, one spring, I rooted a couple of top stems so now I have two. Maybe I wouldn't need to cover them, but I just sleep better if I do!
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 19, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9362592

I have a big one outside and a smaller one, like Nancy, I cover mine if there is a frost warning, but otherwise they tough it out with everyone else!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9362618

I have one in the ground. There is definately a risk that it will perish, I have lost one to the cold. When we get frost warnings I cover mine, it is quite large and it often loses quite a few leaves in winter. But once they get big . . . well what do ya do?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 19, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9362630

Oooh, very cool plant :)
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 20, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9362838

Hey Domehomedee- mys SIS just moved to Arroyo Grande, we were there for Thanksgiving, what a lovely place! I visited nurseries and we walked around the neighborhoods alot, you have alot of options when it comes to plants.

Susie

(sorry to hijack your thread Jackie ;>)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9362995

Yeah, our weather here is good. So good in fact that it confuses the plants. It has been so nice here lately that my early spring plants are coming up. I have daffodils blooming. Mind you it could freeze tonight, but I have daffodils blooming, LOL. If your sis has any interest in plants I'm on a build up to sell (succulents mostly) again in the spring. She's welcome to come by and look at what I have and talk plants. Just Dmail me for contact info if she's interested.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9364585

What kind of sun exposure do your plants get? I have mine on my patio where it gets bright light but only direct sun in the very late afternoon (and very briefly).
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 22, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9364609

Mine get about 4 hours of dappled light each day, with about 2 hours of mostly direct sun in the morning.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9364616

Mine get just bright light, no direct sun at all and do fine. Mine tend to lose lower leaves when it is hot, not cool. That is why I take cuttings for fresh plants every so often.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9365093

I have mine in full sun. But I'm in a canyon so my days are shorter and I'm only 10 miles from the coast so it's not as hot here as AZ.
Funny story. My first kalanchoe beharensis came to me from a friend who brought it to me "because my mother can't get any more than 2 leaves to stay on it".
He was right, indoors that plant would put on a new leaf and drop a leaf like clockwork. So I took it outside and left it on it's own. It grew large and leggy and I made many plants from it.
I have another kalanchoe in my living room window that looks like a small kalanchoe baharensis, I should look up what it is. It does do better indoors in a window, doesn't lose any leaves in that location.
I love kalanchoes, wish they weren't so frost sensitive.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America