Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Yenafera
Pleasant Hill, NC

December 18, 2012
1:52 AM

Post #9361184

The only thing I have for you all to go by are these photos. This is the hibiscus bush that I so loved in the front yard of my childhood home. It was destroyed by the people who purchased the home after us. It must have taken a lot of work to do that because I remember we would trim it down to almost nothing and it would grow back in no time!

I would love to identify it so I can possibly find one like it for my children to love, and I also need to know in greater detail what the leaves look like because I am getting a tattoo of the flower with a few of the leaves around it! They seem to have a unique shape to them from the photo. Thank you for reading, and thank you even more if you are able to identify it!

(Yes, that is me at 6 years old on Halloween. That's the best photo I have of the bush itself.)

Thumbnail by Yenafera   Thumbnail by Yenafera   Thumbnail by Yenafera
Click an image for an enlarged view.

singhg45
Delhi
India

December 18, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9361319

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Painted Lady' or some other cultivar
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9361321

Did you grow up in a warmer area than North Carolina? It looks like a tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) but I wouldn't expect it would be reliably hardy in NC. It may be hard to figure out exactly which cultivar, but there are tons of them so I would suggest looking around and seeing if you can find one that looks fairly close. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=hibiscus&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=rosa-sinensis&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=with&Search=Search
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9361323

Never mind--after I posted I saw your subject line said Tampa. So yes, definitely tropical hibiscus but if you want to grow one in NC you will need to keep it in a pot and bring it inside for the winter.
singhg45
Delhi
India

December 18, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9361393

Interestingly saw several individuals of almost same cultivar here in Sunnyvale, CA

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America