Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: new dawn growing due to erratic weather in zone 8b

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cheviothunter
Wellborn, FL

December 18, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9361452

It's showing a lot of growth. A few leaves have black spots. Should I spray or fertilize it. Poor thing doesn't know what to do. Can someone help me? Thank you.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 15, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9420497

I assume the New Dawn is a Rose, lot's of Roses suffer from Black spot and if it helps, that alone wont lill the Rose it's just un-sightly, there are mists and sprays that are supposed to help prevent this disease but to be honest, none of the products we have here do the job well, you are supposed to spray the foliage, stems etc BEFORE the leaves ect start to open, also you MUST gather us any fallen leaf that drops onto the soil as this disease lays dormant over winter and soon as the new leaves appear the following spring, the infection just takes hold again.

I found the best way for me was to remove the leaves on the plant that showed the slightest tiny bit of black spot, BURN them, don't compost or leave them around and wash your hands tools you have touched the plant with also. I doubt IF you will be black spot free with a plant that already has it but, what you can do
is get your Roses healthy enough to withstand things like Black spot, infestation of Aphids etc and you can still enjoy lovely flowers when in bloom.

Start the health regime now, do the clean up I suggested, after you clear the the leaves from around the Roses, add a handful of Rose feed, dose by instructions given, then IF you can add a few inches of compost, animal manure etc around the root area as this will help to retain some moisture, so gently hand for the rose feed into the top soil add the 2/3 inches of compost or other mater, but give a good drink of water after you have added the feed and before the compost dressing. I always do this again end of season, around October time, Roses like most other plants like a reast period, but I have had flowers at Christmas time on occasions so they will like a boost even if they have done flowering, Roses are greedy plants, all types, climbers, shrub, bush Roses are treated the same, the only difference is they get pruned differently. Now would be a good time to do a prune on your Rose, this gets ris of any damaged stems, brown tips on stems and general tidy up. always cut the stems just above an outward facing Bud, this allows air to circulate through the plant and helps prevent a lot of other Rose diseases and problems. This might sound a lot to do to care for a plant but keep in mind, a Rose should be with you for many years in fact some outgrow the person who planted in the first place so the regime will come second nature to you ase the seasons go by.
Best of luck. WeeNel.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9420503

I spray my roses with Neem oil when they get black spot. It usually does not come back for 5 years.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 16, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9420777

Hi Steadycam, thanks for that info, this product you have used for Black spot sounds a natural substance rather than chemical, is that correct, if natural, can you tell me where you can get this stuff, or is it available at garden centres ???? have a great gardening season. WeeNel.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9421344

Yes, it is a natural product. I use one sold my Green Light. Dont know if available in your country. Surely some garde store near you has some brand of it. Try google.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9425262

Hi WeeNel, Here is some info on Neem oil for you. I found this alert, but also found a number of places advertising Neem... so think this should be your start point.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/guidance/industries/pesticides/topics/pesticide-approvals/enforcement/products-containing-azadirachtin-also-known-as-neem-oil
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 22, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9427862

Thank you so much Themoon for this important information, you have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to search this out for me.
I have only had time to glance it over but the trust me, It has so far gave a good few pointers as to why I have never heard of it here in UK and answered an awful lot of questions, The funny thing is, when i mentioned Neem oil to another friend here who is a gardener, they were like me, never heard of it however, we both agreed we did buy Mosquito repellent that did contain Neem Oil but, that was while overseas, so there you go, I broke the law as I was un-a-ware this was a banned substance in my own country, interesting to know that it is still being debated though.
many thanks Moon, take care. WeeNel.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9427887

You are most welcome WeeNel. That seems a common problem for a global gardening site...what is acceptable and available in one country may not be in another, or may have a different set of applications. I would suggest checking out Horticultural oils...many of them are Neem free and still effective.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3610/

http://gardening.about.com/od/naturalorganiccontrol/a/Hort_Oil.htm

http://www.hriresearch.org/docs/publications/JEH/JEH_1985/JEH_1985_3_4/JEH 3-4-188-191.pdf

this link is a recipe for Hort. oil that you can make safely at home.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7666745_homemade-horticultural-oil.html

Availability of hort oils in UK

http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/bugclear-for-fruit-veg

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America