SOLVED: Agave ID

Waihi, New Zealand(Zone 1)

Agave ID, please

Thumbnail by RosinaBloom Thumbnail by RosinaBloom Thumbnail by RosinaBloom
Bristol, United Kingdom

One of the named Agave azul vars? Or.....tequiliana?

Thank you, Rlalique, for ID of my 'Tequila'

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I am pretty sure that is NOT Agave tequiliana... that species has vicious spines long the leaves that are among the worst of all Agaves (super sharp and hard to get out of the skin!)... I see no spines on your plant at all. It is a curious blue coloration. Agave sisalana looks exactly like your plant only not usually so blue. Perhaps a blue form of it?

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree with palmbob, I have an agave tequilana and although the color is the same it does have side spines and it doesn't droop like the one pictured.

palmbob, Domehomedee,

Thank you for your time and expertise with my 'Agave Tequilana' which I will have moved into the 'Agave sisalana' file.

I am still not sure what my plant is, as it does not have a trunk.
The comment for 'Agave sisalana' states that IT has a trunk.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

it EVENTUALLY trunks... has to get older/larger to develop one. Many agaves trunk eventually (though the definition of a trunk is not clear... is a stem of 6" a trunk?).

This is just growing out of the ground. There is no stalk at its base.
Come in Mexico!!!

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Mexico here, Rosina but too embarrassed to participate. I can say that it is a beautiful agave. Actually I haven't paid much attention to agaves since i have lived here...i think because they are soooo common and also are not a plant of choice for a butterfly garden. my ignorance knows no bounds, i am so ashamed. Lots of agaves in sidewalk planting strips but i think they are mostly tequilanas. i'll pay more attention as i am walking around and will let you know if i come up with something.

OK Mexico, invite some of your friends to the party!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

There is not stalk at its base.. yet. I had an Agave sisalana for 7 years (until a motorcyclist mowed it down last year) and it had no signs of a trunk until the year it got chopped down (and then only noticable as a 6" trunk after it was mowed over). I have seen many Agave sisalanas at botanical gardens and in none can you appreciate any amount of trunk at this time, despite some even flowering already. So a trunk is only a potential characteristic...not a certainty. Still, the blue coloration is odd for Agave sisalana, so it might also be Agave weberi- some forms have no lateral leaf spines at all.

Sorry about your 'poor old' 7yr old Agave sisalana!
Yes - Agave wiberi is looking good. Thank you for that, palmbob.

Somethin' told me that somethin' wasn't quite right...
until now, that is.

Still a question mark around this!??

Jacksonville, FL

Rosina, it looks a lot like my Agave weberi did when it was young. No stalk and as it got older the lower leaves twisted a bit. It also has really fine teeth and is very bluish.

My leaves are smooth without teethed edges -
unlike the Agave weberi photo from the internet enclosed.
Thank you, ratchell26 - I'd like to get this one diagnosed!

Thumbnail by RosinaBloom
Huntington Beach, CA

Rosina, that last one looks like an Agave franzosinii

Msheppard06, thank you for resurrecting this thread!
I'm going to go with Sisal agave Sisalana.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.