Petrolia, Canada

Paperbark Maple seedlings - Juvenile leaves?

I started these Paperbark Maples from seed.. and of course not many sprouted.. only 5 The ones that did, do not have the same leaves as the parent plant.. I have NO OTHER MAPLES in my area except for red Japanese maples that did not have any seeds, so I am sure these are the Paperbark maple seeds I planted in the row.

The pictures are 1st year plants taken late summer..

Could these be juvenile leaves?? As these leaves do not resemble the parent tree.

I suppose this coming Spring may tell the story but I am wondering if this is what they look like as young plants?

Thank you, Mary Lou

Thumbnail by teddybear55 Thumbnail by teddybear55 Thumbnail by teddybear55
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Amur Maple Acer ginnala. You've been sold a dud!

Resin

Petrolia, Canada

Wow.. I looked up the leaves of the Amur Maple and the leaves do look like them..

Now I am wondering if I gathered some seeds from a Amur Maple and planted them in the same spot as my Paperbark Maples? It is a mystery to me.. for sure..

Here is my parent Paperbark Maple I got seeds from.. I planted a more this past Fall,, will have to wait and see what might come up in the spring..

Thank you.. Mary Lou

Thumbnail by teddybear55 Thumbnail by teddybear55
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Paperbark Maple seeds have notoriously low viability (particularly from isolated cultivated plants). Amur Maple is fecund, though, and invasive in parts of Canada; maybe yours blew in from a nearby seeding specimen?

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images