Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: Why would cause Fingertips to be less sensitive

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 25, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9362338

It seems like so many things just come with age but this is something I am curious about. Do any of you of the senior persuasion have less sensitive fingertips and do they seem like they are sort of flattening out a bit. I have done so many things in my life that really require sensitive to the touch fingertips, like my beaded gourds and such but it seems like they aren't as sensitive as they used to be?
Just curious if anyone else is finding this to be true.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

December 19, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9362359

not me Gourd - but if you have calluses from all that finger work over the years -- it could create that situation

Diabetes causes peripheral issues with sensation but I think it would extend beyond the fingertips.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9362456

No callouses just the opposite. Mine seem to be extremely smooth so as I am having to lick them. Maybe I should get some of that stuff that folks that count money all the time use but I wouldn't want it to get on my fabric.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9362639

I use a prodfuct called Stitchers Lotion. It is made by a company in Ames Iowa and comes in several scents or non scented. I use the cinnamon stick one. Go to: yarntree.com I find this in quilt shops and embroidery shops too... It is non greasy and contains Aloe which I find wonderful in the winter with dry hands. Sometimes dryness may cause your fingertips to be less sensitive.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9362641

Oh thank you Barb, It is making me crazier then I already am. heheh

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9362723

My fingertips seem the same way. When I poke them with a fingernail, a little dent stays there. Although I have water to drink at all times, I have other issues that cause me to be slightly de-hydrated. It's not something I can change or that can be treated so just one more thing to the age list.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9362976

I was watching a sewing rerun the other day, a lady showed her favorite thimble: it was made of rubber to fit the fingers better, but had a metal tip to keep the needle in place.. interesting
My tips are so dry, also, use lots of cream to keep soft, but still have a difficult time holding onto those small quilting needles. Arthritis in my fingers don't help, either. I'll have to look for Barb's lotion in the LQS to see if they stock it.

oh wow, Barb... that lotion comes in all 'flavors', too! Peach or the Apricot sounds lovely!

This message was edited Dec 20, 2012 12:24 PM
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9363154

Does it mean your dehydrated when the dent stays there. If so then Yepper I am dry as a bone. heheh
Hey check this out you guys.
Now I have to put the border on and then the batting and backing and binding. Do I have that all right?

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9363161

Looks terrific, kind of oriental.
I'm thinking that's dehydrated, Mine do that and I know I am.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9363182

Oriental, not what I had in mind at all. Hum... how can I turn that around.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9363215

It's not the fabric or design, it's the colors. I'm sure in person it's not at all.

Nope I went back and looked at the first photos, it's Christmas. May be the lighting or flash or even the way the photos loaded in here.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2012 4:14 PM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9363312

I love it Jan. You did a wonderful first quilt!!!!

I just love that lotion and find that it helps. I'm dehydrated too and I swear the needle gets lost within my fingers!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9363485

BEAUTIFUL top Jan, it is going to be a fantastic quilt ^_^

Udder Cream also works well . grease-less. wont hurt fabrics...comes in a tub that looks like a cow!! Yup black and white spotted like a cow, Wal mart has it in the over the counter pharmacy stuff.

same issue here when skin gets dry, and it does that a lot... I also have nerve damage on my whole right side, so I feel less there to begin with. some times I can not feel the needle in my fingers at all.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9363495

Went to the quilt shop and picked out my backing. Was going to use a nice flannel sheet but its not big enough and the colors won't do it justice at all. It going to cost me about $70 to get the rest of the materials. Not an inexpensive venture. thats just for the Warm and Natural and backing.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9363661

Jan, both my Mom & Aunt, who had done needlework there whole lives, got "flattened" fingertips as they got older. I think from all the use they just wear down. Less "fat" tissue remains to keep them plumped.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9363666

Thanks for telling that Jean. I have done handwoork all my life too and I'm happy to know that it is not ALL caused by dehydration!!! Off to get another bottle of water but I'm sure it's way too late!!!!

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9363669

[quote="Gourdbeader"]It seems like so many things just come with age but this is something I am curious about. Do any of you of the senior persuasion have less sensitive fingertips and do they seem like they are sort of flattening out a bit. I have done so many things in my life that really require sensitive to the touch fingertips, like my beaded gourds and such but it seems like they aren't as sensitive as they used to be?
Just curious if anyone else is finding this to be true.
[/quote]

old my Dr about the fact that my fingertips were getting numb. She said it was from Diabetes. Now mine isn't that bad but I guess it affects the tips of your fingers and the sensitivity in your toes as well. Another thing I noticed is that the fingers print lines are disappearing. I think it's just getting old. I'm 67 and these things just started about 1 or 2 years ago. Ain't getting older great?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9365191

I used to sand cars for my Dad when he would get behind in the auto shop. I used to "remove" my fingerprints by using the sanding block. Next step was the callouses that set in!!

I used to love the look on customers faces when I was in my Dad's shop and would turn around to answer a question or direct them to Dad. I was wearing blue jeans and have pretty much always had short hair. They never expect to see a female in the shop.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9365322

Remove your finger prints?? Any reason for that? Now I understand your name. hehehe
Have you heard they are making erector sets for girls now? The difference is that they pieces are painted pink or something like that.
Okay I found it. It is to make a Barbie dream house. Duh. I'm not saying little girls should be girls but let them be just as smart as they think boys are at that age. Truth be known, they are probably smarter.
Ewwww... I may have just stirred up a hornets nest. ehehe
Why can't they believe that girls can appreciate architecture and engineering just as well as boys do. Haven't we came far enough to change the way of thinking in the toy market.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 8:46 AM
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9365324

This is made with a girls erector set. Duh.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9365331

My daughter's God daughter is majoring in Heavy Equipment and Technology in college. She's the only girl in her class. She is a construction equipment repair person. Her main passion is her horse Gulliver, He is half Belgian and huge. Her mom was so happy to be having a girl. bought her tons of dresses and dolls all to no avail. She is also pretty as a picture and has a beautiful figure and a boyfriend of two years standing.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 11:13 AM
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9365344

The times they are a changing, too bad the toy dept hasn't caught on yet.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9365382

I remember my tinker toys. The old wooden ones. I assembled all sorts of structures with those.

One of the HGTV building shows has a female who owns the Company & she can definitely talk-the-talk. Looking at some of the odd layouts for houses, I always comment "no woman would ever come up with this".

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9365506

LOL, I did not SET OUT to remove the fingerprints, it just happens when you are overly exposed to the sanding paper!! Don't worry they come back. (AFTER the callouses peel off!)

I have a step daugher who is finishing her PhD in computation chemistry, another step daugher in mechanical engineering (she works for Boeing), the 3rd works in mental health (a more traditional woman's job).

My grandson's favorite toy last year was his kitchen set with dishes & "food" etc.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9365841

Lego is also making lots of sets for girls now, and so is its competitor Mega blocks. many blocks in pinks and purples
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9365906

Do they even still make the awesome erector sets with all the nuts and bolts and little motors?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America