Another Texas Tree

Spring, TX

When I submitted this earlier I used the wrong picture. Let's try it again. SE Texas Pineywoods. growing near drainage ditch so I am assuming it likes water???? And thye leaf is about a small hand in size.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sassafras albidum?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

White Mulberry Morus alba. An invasive weed tree in your area.

Resin

Spring, TX

I don't think Sassafras because all the leaves were the same and Sassafra usually has several variations on the same tree.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree with Resin on it being Morus. Very common weedy tree in many areas.

Seattle, WA

It could aslo be Broussonetia papyrifera, or paper mulberry. It would be helpful if you provide additional images with different angles.

Just saying...

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

Hard to tell in the photo. Could be either Morus or Broussonetia papyrifera. What was the texture of the leaf? A better picture would help.

Spring, TX

You guys are really good. It appears to be Broussonetia papyrifera. There is sure a lot of it in our woods.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

So it was kinda fuzzy?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Broussonetia papyrifera will have quite fuzzy stems on the newer growth, unlike any of the Morus clan.

If that is indeed your plant, it wouldn't be unusual to see a lot of it in your woods. It is a phenomenal colonizer from its root system - which makes it an awful challenge to try to eliminate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.