Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: looking for Brunswick stew

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 7, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

December 19, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9362673

I saw Brunswick stew on the Eve menu thread and didn't want to hi-jack that thread so if your looking missing rosie or anyone else who has a recipe, please share. When I was a kid I raised rabbits and would give one to a neighbor when we slaughtered and she would give give me back a big bowl of stew. I've tried a few recipes but they aren't like hers. I know she used chicken, rabbit, and a couple of squirrells when we could get 'em, and I think pork too. I know her recipe was from her MIA in georgia. She was in her 60's then and thats been 40 years ago.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9363275

If you go to the search and type in "Brunswick stew" you will see I've posted about it quite a bit. I don't use a recipe because it's really a flexible dish with lots of room for personal interpretation. I use home smoked pulled meats and chicken. Rabbit is too expensive in this country to throw in the stew pot unless you raise your own. Besides, I prefer rabbit roasted. Plenty of squirrels but I haven't been able to talk one into diving into the stew pot. :)

The basic ingredients required for my stew include onions, celery, baby lima beans or butter peas that have been soaked, corn and potatoes. You also need several large cans or quarts of tomatoes. The stew is started by sauteing diced onions and celery and then adding the pre-soaked limas with enough meat stock (either chicken or beef) to cover plus one inch. If my stew is chicken and or pork I use chicken stock. If it has beef in it then I use beef stock. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the beans are almost tender but still have some tooth. Then add meats, corn and stewed tomatoes. Add diced all purpose potatoes (russets will taste grainy and fall apart more easily). At this point some people use ketchup and vinegar and some use BBQ sauce. Some add heat with cayenne or hot peppers (I do) and then balance the sauce with a little sugar and vinegar. Others like it very tangy and sweet. Using smoked meat adds lots of flavor. If you don't have any handy consider starting with some hocks or smoked turkey parts cooked in the stock 'til the meat is soft.

Note that this is not about throwing everything into a pot all at once. If you do some ingredients will fall apart long before others are finished cooking properly. Build the stew by staging the ingredients and taste as you go.
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

December 20, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9363311

Thanks, your recipe sounds about like hers I just couldn't remember all the ing. and how she put it together. We love stews and soups and I'll be trying it over the holidays. thanks again.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9363317

You are very welcome. Let me know how your version comes out. If you are not completely satisfied I might be able to help.
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

December 20, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9363409

I'll let you know. yhanks again.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9364185

Hello Susie,

I have quite a few old cookbooks with Brunswick Stew in them, including
one I am looking at right now that calls for squirrel, believe it or not.

It is from the James Beard's American Cookery book on page 248.

In searching online, I found similarly titled recipes, including those using
James' name, but the ingredients are different from those in the cookbook.
This one calls for bacon fat, onions, garlic, squirrels, flour, salt, pepper,
rosemary, chicken stock, bay leaf, Madeira, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes,
lima beans, corn, okra, buttered crumbs and parsley, in that order.

Let me know if you are interested. :-)

Karen
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

December 22, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9364471

Thanks Karen for jogging my memory. She probably did use worcestershire (I Love worcestershire) now that I think about it. I'd forgotten the limas until Maypops post. I know she used tomatoes but it had a warm brown color to it sort of like pepper steak. Please post the recipe if it's not to much trouble.
mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9374942

Trisha Yearwood is doing Brunswick Stew on her Food Network cooking show this week.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America