-
AuthorContent
ShelleyRae
Bitburg
Germany

December 20, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9362798

I started this oregano from seeds in August. It was flourishing and doing very well until the past two weeks. I noticed some grayish leaves near the base of the stems but thought nothing of it, and now they are all over. It seems to start with the edges of the tip of the leaves turning brownish, shortly the leaves are completely overtaken and are so brittle and dry they just fall off to the touch. the main stem does not appear to be wilting or damaged in any other way besides a lack of leaves where the dead ones have fallen off. I have searched the plant for bugs and have found none. There is still new growth coming up on the stems. Can anyone help me identify what the problem is, and what to do to save the plant?

Thumbnail by ShelleyRae   Thumbnail by ShelleyRae   Thumbnail by ShelleyRae   Thumbnail by ShelleyRae
Click an image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9362878

Is the soil staying too soggy?
ShelleyRae
Bitburg
Germany

December 20, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9362881

no, i usually let it dry out quite a bit before i water b/c i had fungus gnats for a little while during the end of summer. i water it about once every four or five days. when the topsoil is dry to the eye and touch.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9362950

When you say that the topsoil is dry to the touch, are you just touching the surface or do you stick your finger down a few inches? The top of it can look/feel dry when an inch or two down where the plants' roots are is still quite wet. To me it looks like a fungal problem of some sort, and too much water would be a likely culprit.
ShelleyRae
Bitburg
Germany

December 20, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9362982

Hmm, well I don't push through the soil a few inches...just maybe half an inch or so. Is there any way I can save it at this point if it is root fungus?
Sensiblelynne

(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9363005

Cut the stems right back to take the pressure off the plant. I suspect it's too wet, so let the soil dry out before watering again and place it in as much sun light as you have. Worth a try.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9363170

If the soil is really wet then repotting it in some drier soil may help too. Hard to say if it will recover or not--it doesn't look too bad so I think chances are good, but it really depends on how badly the roots have been damaged already.
ShelleyRae
Bitburg
Germany

December 20, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9363232

We have heat registers out here with built in shelves over the top. My orchids, aloe and parlor palm love sitting on top of it b/c it's so warm and dry. Maybe if I put the oregano over there it will dry out. Is this problem contagious? I definitely don't want to put those other plants in danger. (Sorry if these are novice questions, I'm new to herb growing.)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9363250

Oregano is a weed, needs lots of drainage and dry conditions, and root room. unknown if it is a fungus or not, but i DOUBT it would hurt the other plants if you have some circulation on it too
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9363285

Assuming it is overwatering that is causing the problems, it isn't contagious and won't spread to your other plants (unless you're watering them too much too, in which case they could have problems as well but it won't be because the oregano is near them). As far as sitting on top of the register, as long as it's not so hot that it cooks the roots it should be OK. You also want to make sure that hot dry air isn't blowing directly on the plant, that can cause problems too. But it sounds like air wouldn't be blowing on it with your setup?
ShelleyRae
Bitburg
Germany

December 20, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9363304

There is no air blowing from the registers, just heat radiating up. The shelf surface is marble, and stays warm all of the time but not hot to the touch. I just put a strip thermometer on it and it stopped at 78 degrees F. The only circulation comes from the large window behind the plant, which I only leave cracked open from the top about two hours a day to prevent mold in the house b/c it is so damp here in the wintertime. Should I put a fan on it too maybe?

Thumbnail by ShelleyRae
Click the image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9363710

Air circulation is great for plants in general, helps them use the water in the pots, and keeps them from being weak because they have to strengthen to resist the wind and stay upright. 78 F is a great temp for roots of tropicals. If you trim it, don't remove healthy leaves. They are the food factory of the plant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America