Photo by Melody

Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers!: Wild Flowers, Yes. Government, NO!

Communities > Forums > Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers!Replies: 6, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 22, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9364533

Minnesota adopted her program.
Their approach, spray all roadsides with 2-4D. Mow ditches to make them look like hayfields. Then the big one, NO ROADSIDE signs. So the little people can not advertise a rummage sale or a roadside stand, etc. Sucks!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9364739

I hear you, Bernie. It's odd that each state has a different vision of the same Federal program. I also think some of the LBJ era billboard regs have expired or been changed. Here in Texas the roadsides are cluttered with trashy local advertising, not yard sales or Farmer's Markets but used car lots and huge pawn shops. Not lovely. Thanks for your comment.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 22, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9364756

I saw some of them in fall of 2011. We traveled from Kentucky over to Branson, MO.
Not in good taste.
Here it's giant billboards for all kinds of things. Big corporations own most of them. They are nicely done & most of them lite. I'm not sure how they are able to put them up when the state says all signs are illegal. Must be a money thing!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9364763

I heard something about the LBJ beautification laws expiring, but I don't really know. I can say that D/FW area needs a Lady Bird Johnson to beautify it now! Have a good holiday!
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

December 24, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9365830

There is an initial cost to beautification, and some dedication, even when wildflowers are involved. I remember when several varieties of native wildflowers (Indian paintbrush, Indian Blanket, Cowboy Roses, etc.) bloomed every spring beside the freeway from NW OKC to SW OKC. It took a little money and preparation to get them started. Then it took a little care and careful planning to keep them growing. The last year I last remember seeing them was the second year in a row that mowing crews mowed the grasses before the wildflowers had set seed. They may have mowed because of fire danger, too. But I do miss them!
Annepaola
Manahawkin, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9365872

A wonderful and interesting article. So sorry we missed the wildflower center when we toured Texas years ago. We stayed in Austin so no excuse.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9365923

Thank you both for your comments. Jazzy, you're right, and did someone decide not to let them set seed, or did someone overlook the long term ramifications of mowing just then? Annepaola, same thing here. I had no excuse except ignorance. Merry Christmas!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady of wildflowers! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Delightful and informative CLScott 4 Dec 23, 2011 8:32 AM
Very nice article Cville_Gardener 1 Dec 22, 2011 3:37 PM
Wonderful article Carrie. frostweed 9 Dec 26, 2012 7:02 PM
Wonderful CajuninKy 1 Dec 23, 2011 8:27 AM
Well done! Thanks for sharing. Ludwigsfriend 1 Dec 26, 2011 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America