Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to share this little Nature oddity with you all. I find them fascinating.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/delicately-ethereal-frost-flowers

Moon

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for that Moon. We had our first real frost this morning. Makes me wish that I had gone out to see what I may have found. Remarkably beautiful!

All I found after our first frost was a few frost coated spider webs scattered across the yard...by the time I got inside to get the camera and back out, they were already starting to melt....

You are most welcome. Some of those pics are just exquisite to me.

Moon

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

Cool. Must happen in dry areas as I think I've only seen that once. It's sorta like slowly exploding sap gets frozen in air.

Yeah, they say it is a mix of sap and water being drawn from the stems/trunks. has to be a hard freeze over unfrozen ground.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

neat- thanks!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

There is a plant well-know for this phenomenon - Verbesina virginica - commonly known as "frostweed". It can produce spectacular ice formations in the right conditions. Here's the best I could do for sample pics using Google images: https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1664&bih=907&q=Verbesina+virginica+ice&oq=Verbesina+virginica+ice

amazing!

Ain't Nature grand? Thanks Tom....I did wonder if Verbesina was the only plant that made frost flowers, or just a very common source.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I've seen frost flowers from Salvia, Solidago, and occasionally other plants... it depends on the weather conditions. Generally what is needed is mild weather followed by a hard freeze with calm wind.. But V. virginica seems to produce the most spectacular examples.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Texas forum- our natives love, and Frostweed shares lots of pix every winter, chuckl, but those are some really good pix!

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

In the hills of Arkansas this is called rabbit ice. Don't know why, maybe it looks like a rabbit.

That is why I love threads like this....you find out all sorts of cool new things. Thanks Y'all. oh, and I do hope each of you has a lovely Holiday season...

Moon

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Merry Christmas! Dear my friends! Chuckl, one more flown by!

You too moon!
Merry Christmas all!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Merry Christmas to all. And I add my prayer that our New Year is a Peaceful one….Happy 2013 everyone! Peace!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.