Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: keeping pots warm

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9365625

im thinking all you tropical plant enthusiasts might be able to help me..
i dont have a greenhouse..that said.. i am growing tropical amorphophallus'..
i can keep growing conditions good ..but im challenged during winter..
?? question ..heating the pots with the corms..
i use heat pads..but my biggest corms well thats not enough heat..and i dont want to
heat the whole house to 80F..
i was thinking of using heating cables attached to thermostat..and bury the heat cable
right in the soil. along the edge of the pot.. the thermostat would keep it at desired temp
and wouldnt be "hot" so im thinking wouldnt damage the corm..or roots..
am i nuts?? :)
any ideas.. thoughts..???
much thanks
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9365827

Are you sure they need that much heat? Is it because you trying to keep them actively growing during the winter? My amorphophallus used to stay in the ground all winter and I was living in an area that did have several freezes a year. They would go dormant and pop right back up in the spring. Obviously it is much colder in Utah so you would have to bring the corms indoors but I don't think they need such high temperatures.

I am not an expert by any means and perhaps you are growing a specific cultivar that needs such heat. That said, I have seen heating coils that sit inside the pot in the soil, usually along the bottom, maybe something like that would help. Good luck with this, it is always fun to find ways to outsmart mother nature and grow tropicals in cold climates. .
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9366104

I don't grow Amorphophallus, but most tropicals should be fine if they're inside the house which you presumably heat at least to 60-something degrees.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America