Glass pedestral

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

I've been busy. Thought I'd share some pictures of my glass creations. These were inspired by another post in this forum.
They were sooo fun to make and cheap too. I purchased most of the glass pieces at local thrift shops and the glass pebbles are mostly from the dollar store.
Opps spelling error and it won't let me correct the subject line.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2012 3:07 AM

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Those are lovely, Dee, and a very creative use of found objects. I've recently discovered Museum Gel, a clear non-toxic reusable product, good for 'gluing' non-porous materials together and is purported to work well in Earthquake country for all kinds of items you don't want to end up smashed.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Nicely done.

I've seen the wine bottles they paint and put lights inside. I can't paint so never made any. The other day I saw the wine bottles decorated with the glass pebbles. Now that I can indeed do. Am now saving my wine bottles.

That's a great idea. My husband keeps commenting that I should find a way to put a candle or a light inside these.

The strings of LED lights are nice since they don't get hot.

I just need to get a drill bit for glass & put this on the 2013 to-do list. The ones I saw the other day had a $35 price tag!!!!

Drilling glass is not that easy. I have a large glass bit I bought years ago for putting a hole in a large water bottle. It took like an 2 hours to get the hole through. The bit works great for ceramic pots though. I think just running the lights out the neck of the bottle would be fine. I thought about decorating a hurricane glass, the ones with both ends open and then you put it over a candle in a dish. How about those small mason jars, you could put the wire through the lid and them hang them in the trees.
I got a million ideas.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Great Job DEE & What wonderful Talent you will find away for the lights :)
MERRY CHRISTMAS

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Excellent job of gluing the glass globs to the vases. I hadn't thought of doing that, but have used them on other things. They are very pretty. My sisteri-in-law just gave me a pretty wine bottle she drilled a hole in and put the LED lights in and it makes a pretty night light. My DH bought a glass and tile drill and has put holes in ceramic pots for me, he used a spray bottle of water to help cool it down. Now, I have several things lined up for him to drill holes in; have to keep him busy. LOL

I'm going to look into the museum gel now, have a couple precious moments figurines that got broken during an earthquake. Was going to use the E6000 glue that I've used on a lot of projects.

I have been using GE premium silicone glue. It comes in a tube and I get it from my local hardware store. Stuff goes on like silicone and really sticks, dries clear. It's a little pricey, like $8.00 a tube. But one tube lasted through over 3 large and 3 small projects and I was using it liberally since I plan on putting this stuff outside.

A new year and once again I'm anxious to start working on garden projects. I do say that every year and somehow it just doesn't happen. Maybe 2013 will be my "get ur done" year, surely hope so. That silicone gel is pricey, got to keep that in mind though. My E6000 has been my stand by for a lot of things though.

Keep the pictures coming of all projects!!

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Love all the ideas. Some of my glass totems come unstuck after a while, even with the E6000. Would like to know the exact name of the Museum gel -- and where to buy it. Thanks.

And I thought E6000 was the best way to go, may have to invest in the Museum gel after all. First thing that came to mind is that I had to buy it at a museum. LOL

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't know how well Museum Gel would hold up outdoors, but here's the info and a video for those of you who'd like to try it. There are several companies that carry it, but my 4 oz. jar came from Amazon since we have Super Saver shipping. I paid $9.99 and it is product #33111, also called Quakehold. There is purported to be enough gel in a 4 oz. jar for 300 'dabs' and should have a two year shelf-life when the lid is sealed properly and the product stored in a cool location. I have used it inside to secure glass-to-glass and it works like a charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJTNpFREXw

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

The museum gel is made so it can be removed. The silicone glue is more permanent and is supposedly good for use outside.
I really like the way it works as it is goopy so you can use a blob of it unlike say super glue. And it's not as much of a crisis if you get some on your fingers.
We'll see how it holds up, I'm not putting anything outside until danger of frost is past.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Dee, I really like your creations. They look great.
Hope you don't mind if I jump in here with one of my own. I think you will like the idea if you haven't already seen them.
Glass flowers. I made mine with a serving plate that I partially painted, then two plates and two votive cups. There is a flat sided bottle on the back to slip down over the post that DH Ric made for me.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Forgot the long shot.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I prefer the silicone. I have pieces that have been outside for years with no problem of coming apart.

I like your use of the glass pebbles. I had used them on the joins between several large vases , plates, bowls etc. but not so artistically as you have. Inspiring! I usually make large plant stands using a punch bowl base, sometimes a plate. They're about four feet tall. Could be a birdbath with the right piece on top.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 3:18 PM

Grand Junction, CO(Zone 6a)

HollyAnnS- love the flowers...very clever. The base plate is perfect! What type of paint did you use? Just getting started making totums, now a new idea :-) Think I will try the silacone first because of the intense sun. Will take items in for winter.

Thanks and my local Goodwill thanks you for the isdeas! I made need a bigger yard. Oh well, there are alway my kids yards to fill too. LOL
Judy

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's FolkArt Enamel made by Plaid. After you paint it you bake it in the over to set it. You may notice that my paint is a bit streaky, that isn't the paint. I wanted to try to add some dimension to the "petals" so I didn't put the paint on evenly.
If you search Glass Plate Flowers or Glass Plate Mushrooms you will find quite a few beautiful ones.

I think I need to go hit the GW store!!!! Just put in a new garden & it needs some decorations.

Thought I'd do an update with the best of the glass art I've done the past couple of months.
1. My favorite, the best one.
2. Top view.
3. This is actually 3 pieces glued together. I makes a great candle holder.
4. One of several made for centerpieces for a fundraiser.
So what's next?
I found some really interesting free form glass platters at Marshal's that should make interesting bird baths.
I'm also going to explore the idea of putting one of those LED light strings inside.
Qwilter - post pictures if you make some.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee

I went back to the beginning of this thread to look at all the beautiful projects again. Such a wonderful idea about putting a small bottle in back of the plates for holding a "stem" . I had been on the search for hockey pucks, none available to put on the back but I guess I would have an easier time finding bottles. Love all the glass globs on the vases too, more ideas...............now to just begin!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Dee, Those really are beautiful.

Grand Junction, CO(Zone 6a)

HollyAnnS- found the paint. at what temp and for how long do you bake them? Hit my Gw store and found some cool plates.
Judy

HollyAnnS. - Those are great. I like the idea of the bottle on the back. I am about to move my smaller glass ones onto taller sticks to use a markers for the end of a parking area. It will be good they have a real "use". I like the plate flowers, I'd like to do some "giant daffodils", maybe for out front of my grand-daughters playhouse, that would be sooo cute. It will be just like Alice in Wonderland.

Would be so great to plant glass flowers around a play house. We have a wood shed that looks like a red barn and I could plant some flowers by that. Such ideas you all give me, have to start my to do list right now.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Curious since it is July if everyone thinks the silicone glue is the best and will last outdoors? I have a glass drill bit and was going to try it, everyone remember drilling glass please wear a good mask, don't want to be breathing in glass dust.

The E6000 is holding up fine here.

Thanks for the update. I did have some minor failure of the silicone glue. From just getting too wet I think. Most everything is holding up though.

I'm glad this thread was brought up to date. I have so many plates, all sizes, and if I don't get going on them soon I'll forget what I was saving them for. LOL I've been looking for some small bottles for on the back. I found out it isn't easy to locate them. Look at thrift stores all the time for "ideas".

Check Micheal's craft stores. They carry these small colored glass bottles in the "bin" area of the store. They come two to a box and are reasonably priced.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

How beautiful. By hey must be stunning g when the sun catches them!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I use the E6000 too as well as silicone. Mine have held up well.

I got online because I wanted to see about drilling the flowers and they suggested ge silicone sealant, but the pic said dab silicone 50 yr sealant waterproof clear drying. They also suggested if you are drilling:
get a container big enough for your project
put a towel (you don't want to keep) in the bottom
put masking tape near the center of the plate
mark the center of the plate on the masking tape
add water to the container enough to just cover the plate
using a battery drill (don't use electricity and water)
and a 1/8 inch masonry drill bit to make pilot hole (suppose to keep diamond drill bit from slipping)
then switch to a 5/16 diamond drill bit and taking your time and drill thru.
They did mention it is slow and sometimes it breaks, and sometimes you just can not drill thru the glass
Now having said all of this I have NOT done it...rofl.
Hopefully will be able to try it this weekend altho Saturday I have a class about making a silicone mold.

I'd like to hear what you learn in that class. I bought latex "mold" making material a few years back and molded up some fairy and gnome house fronts I made out of clay. I got quite a few before the mold deteriorated. I also learned a thing or two about how to make an effective mold. I'd love to know what kind of silicone product you use etc..

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

I work for a company and the company has an art company. The guy who is teaching the class I work with sort of....he is an artist and I am a worker...rofl. Because I like to cast elephant ears in concrete he told me I could make a mold out of old normal house silicon chalk instead of killing so many ee leaves and that it was durable and a whole lot cheaper than buying latex mold making material. So he is doing a demo on that and some other clay stuff, so we will see and I will let you know what I learn. Good thing is if I need remedial training I can go walk in his office and ask...rofl.

It's a great idea. I make gunnera leaf casts. They are big leaves like EE's and even more rare. I get like 10 big leaves I can take between early spring and it gets to hot for the plant in early summer. I'd love to be able to leave them on the plant! It' would be even easier with the gunnera leaves as they are much stiffer than elephant ears and I can probably just smear it on with a pallet knife.

I want a gunnera ;( They are amazing leaves. I don't have any idea how this works but will find out.

I have to say I feel lucky to have a happy gunnera in my garden. They are really pacific northwest plants and as such require a lot more air moisture than I have in my yard. It took 3 tries to get one to take, but now it gets larger every year.
They are so strange and prehistoric looking. The leaves are thick and stiff and have these spikey protrusions.
I love EE's too and have added several different kinds to my yard this year. I have one of the upright kind that is finally looking like it will get big soon, maybe another year and I'll have a tall leaf out of it. They are thicker than the usual EE's we grow here in CA. I know what you mean about having to take so many leaves off the plant - my husband asked me not to do an EE casting because he likes the leaves on the plants, LOL.

Hey guys I went to the habitat for humanity restore and found some old glass fixtures from probably the 50's-60's that are petal shape and already had holes in them since they were ceiling light fixtures so my drilling is already done! yes! One came with the metal center with rod, I can reverse the metal center and put it inside the flower, it will look like the inside of a flower and will have the threaded rod to screw into a pipe.....really wanted to do it last night but not enough hours in a day. Also picked up several of those glass fixtures that are/were used on ceiling fans for light covers. Got them at a great price. Other thing I don't know about other areas but ours had a ton of granite for 20.00 a sheet. Wish I could figure out what to do with those. They were pieces I am sure where people did their counter tops.

I went on the watergarden tour here in KC one year and there was a gentleman that had the biggest most beautiful gunnera on the side of watergarden. I was so excited. The yard had a cliff basically down the side yard and the gunnera and the waterfall were both right there. He didn't offer me a leaf or a start ;( rofl
So I went home and bought one off of ebay put it on the north side of the house but didn't have any luck...decided I would just stick with ee's. I have several and this year bought a giant so will patiently wait for it to grow up so I can cast it. Here is a cast I did this spring for our plant sale but since I did it a new way I was afraid to sell it, afraid it wouldn't last but so far so good. Pretty good size leaf.

Hopefully this class will work and I will only have to cut one leaf.
Geehz this is an all day deal? Maybe it is so we can see the mold after it dries?
10:00 am
Tommy will start his demonstrations.
12:00 Noon
Lunch Break that segues to Slide Talk.
12:15 pm
Artist Slide Talk during the completion of the Lunch Break.
12:45 pm
Tommy will continue demonstrations.
4:00 pm
The workshop concludes for the day.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images