Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daylilies: General chat about seedlings

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 5, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9365725

Well we were talking some place in the threads about seedling staying white and not making chlorophyll . Eventually the seedlings would die ,well, one my crosses finally sprouted , and guess what ? all white.. boo hoo I was hoping that that would not happen.
That is the first to do that in while and I hope on anyway, little laughter, little disappointment , continue on later

Only seeing how some of you are doing from earlier discussion ..

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9366981

I will be starting mine in Feb, Juhur7. I will share my observation there after. Mike
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9402995

I am something of a newbie on this forum. Lyle, you are a wonderful and organized hybridizer and grower.
I gasped at the beauty of some of your crosses. I saw a couple of other people with indoor lights. That's
what I intend to do when I get my spider day lily seed shipment. I have a friend who runs a flower farm
(and doesn't ever charge enough!) She loves spider day lilies, so I thought I would start 35 from the
Lily auction. I am completely stunned by the lavish beauty of recent day lilies. I love the blue, wine,
purple, and lavender. Oh, I just love them all. But I get the idea that if one buys seeds (or plants her
own,) it's quite possible that you won't even get one worthwhile? The ones I have been looking at are
incredibly glamorous. I only today learned what "teeth" were on a day lily. What is the fringe on the
petal's edge called?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9403040

Fringe ;-)

Im guessing worthwhile means different things to different people. I just get a kick out of seeing of a new flower. My biggest disappointment is always in the color. Most are 'mungy', very hard to get a good clear color. Fun to look for hidden treasure tho!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9403067

Always looked at fringe for another word for ruffles The only color I have success with are yellows , but I have not done many anyway ,not pro , only play ,,
I do have a couple seedlings from tooth Daylily started and growing , will see sometime //
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9403087

http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/dictionary.html

Atho I dont see fringe in the terms, neither is teeth. I do consider fringe and ruffles as different things.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America