Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden: Some issues with design

Communities > Forums > Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting GardenReplies: 1, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
madtripper
Guelph
Canada

December 24, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9365959

Good idea, but it has a problem. The drainage layer at the bottom is a myth - it does not work as expected. See GardenMyths.com for an explanation: http://www.gardenmyths.com/gravel-pot-drainage/

The design would be better if the center compost area only went down half the depth of the garden. More water and nutrients would stay in the garden soil.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9366057

The article was based on the experience of others and their continued use suggests the design works, regardless of any criticism one might have. Dave's Garden is a very sharing place so I welcome you to build a keyhole garden to see if it works for your purposes, tinker with the design elements, then post your personal experience. We would all appreciate your design improvement suggestions!

Thanks for reading and posting your comments,
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brilliant concept MargaretK 1 May 3, 2012 5:57 AM
I want one Cville_Gardener 8 May 7, 2012 3:59 PM
Great concept steadycam3 5 May 8, 2012 4:14 PM
This is something I will share! Tallulah_B 1 May 4, 2012 4:31 AM
Love it! tinytwist 1 May 9, 2012 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America