The Great American Brug Swap.

Long Beach, CA

I had an epiphany and thought I would run it by you guys. I think all of us with brugs should start rooting 6-8 inch plants. Then in March when they are well rooted we should post what we have rooted and what we are looking for rooted. An even trade! Someone may swap a Pink Dragon for a Red Rover or any other brug so long as it is one you were looking for. What do you think?

I have already started. I have Sunset, Dr Susses and Pink Souvenier rooting away! Let me know if you are in!

Rhapsody

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I still have plants I want to cut on Rhaps, just looking for the space. I think it's a fantastic idea. I'll start your
list with my Pink Dragon I know you must be admiring ;) I will also start some Pink Perfektion, that one is starting to take over and needs cutting.
I have never heard of Pink Souvenier.
I couldn't find it in BGI's flowers gallery. Is it a registered cultivar? Have a pic?

Williston, ND

cant help but sounds fun,i really hope to learn more about these,ive got a new freind on her that offered me some cutting,im hoping i can do them proud,

JIM

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Once bitten bigbold, you can't turn back. Brugs are a fantastic plant to keep, imho.
Good luck with your cuttings.

Long Beach, CA

Quote from TrumpetFlowerz :
I still have plants I want to cut on Rhaps, just looking for the space. I think it's a fantastic idea. I'll start your
list with my Pink Dragon I know you must be admiring ;) I will also start some Pink Perfektion, that one is starting to take over and needs cutting.
I have never heard of Pink Souvenier.
I couldn't find it in BGI's flowers gallery. Is it a registered cultivar? Have a pic?

Sorry Hun, I spelled it wrong, suaveolens Pink http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/523-suaveolens-pink/ I am a bad girl!!

Long Beach, CA

Quote from bigoldbuck701 :
cant help but sounds fun,i really hope to learn more about these,ive got a new freind on her that offered me some cutting,im hoping i can do them proud,

JIM

Oh Jim I am sure you will do fine! You can't kill any more then I have LOL!
Rhapsody

Long Beach, CA

Once bitten bigbold, you can't turn back. Brugs are a fantastic plant to keep, imho.
Good luck with your cuttings.

It is true. I am in love with ALLLLLLL of them. I want to have 30 of them making my garden a supper smelling heaven!! I have already started. Thanks for going on this journey with me. I hope more you are up for the ride!!

Rhapsody

Saginaw, MI

Sounds like a great idea -- but unfortunately one I would not be able to join in :( Have been an admirer of brugs for years but never had the courage to try -- was always told would not do well here--then recently talked to people in area that said they will grow fastly and fantasticly here all in one season -- so just recently acquired a couple cuttings to try to root and am hoping they do well and would love more beauties. But as for the trade in spring -- even if the few cuttings I have received do take off I would not as of yet have any to trade--so would only be able to look from afar this time:(

Mulberry, FL

If you can't trade theres always ebay seems like everyones getting in on selling brugs! Lots of new websites popping up too.

Long Beach, CA

Quote from sbish5 :
Sounds like a great idea -- but unfortunately one I would not be able to join in :( Have been an admirer of brugs for years but never had the courage to try -- was always told would not do well here--then recently talked to people in area that said they will grow fastly and fantasticly here all in one season -- so just recently acquired a couple cuttings to try to root and am hoping they do well and would love more beauties. But as for the trade in spring -- even if the few cuttings I have received do take off I would not as of yet have any to trade--so would only be able to look from afar this time:(

Don't be sad. If this takes off them we may do it again next year!
R

Long Beach, CA

Quote from Danasplants :
If you can't trade theres always ebay seems like everyones getting in on selling brugs! Lots of new websites popping up too.

I sell a few on Ebay and thought this would be nice amongst friends!!
R

Williston, ND

whats your name on there
i went looking last night ,since this thread started,i asked my local nursery,20 ,miles away and they have a few,even varigated ones,im planning on looking this weekend

Long Beach, CA

whats your name on there
i went looking last night ,since this thread started,i asked my local nursery,20 ,miles away and they have a few,even variegated ones,im planning on looking this weekend

Rhapsody in Green!

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I used to have brugs until I moved. Right now, I don't have any and I am looking for seeds I used to have.
I would really like to buy a few cuttings or seeds if any of you have any to spare.. I have lots of other
seeds that I could send along also. When I had them, they bloomed very well.

Long Beach, CA

I am still waiting for mine to put out seed pods. I would snap off the neck of the flower like a rose not knowing that the seed pod came from there... BONE HEAD MOVE!

Rhapsody

Williston, ND

hi, got 3 yesterday,and the purple one had seed pod,now to figure out what to do

Long Beach, CA

hi, got 3 yesterday,and the purple one had seed pod,now to figure out what to do

Where did you find a purple one?

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I think he means a datura, if it's purple

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I ordered seeds for ten yellow brugs. I only want them for the patio this summer; I also ordered seeds of
dwarf Gloxinia, AV's, and I have plenty of streptocarpus seeds. At my other house my plant room looked
like a jungle. I will have to confine them to a room because I have two inside cats which would be sure
to try to eat them. I am too old to start collecting brugs again; I will settle for three yellow ones if I can raise
them from seed. However I think brugs and tropical hibiscus are about the prettiest things in the world.

Williston, ND

yes they were daturas,i know theres a difference ,but dont ask me what it is yet, got a varigated dat and a white one
any advice anyone on the seeds

Long Beach, CA

Brugmansia are Angel Trumpet. Tree and the flower hang down as if a angel was playing the trumpet!.
Datura is Devils Trumpet. Shrub like and the flower point upward as if the devil was playing a trumpet!

Williston, ND

ok, thanks,i know now

Briaroaks, TX

Count me in.
Lonnie

Long Beach, CA

Quote from Printmaster :
Count me in.
Lonnie

Oh good... I am soooo excited. This could work out nicely for all of us. My Sunsets and Dr Seuss are will on the way. My Pink Suaveolens are rooted already.
Rhapsody

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Raps, you still doing this, (now?) I am sending out a couple of packages to brug friends the first week of March. Do you want a Pink Dragon?
If you do, dmail me an address-I lost yours I think, from the cardamom sale.

Long Beach, CA

Raps, you still doing this, (now?) I am sending out a couple of packages to brug friends the first week of March. Do you want a Pink Dragon?
If you do, dmail me an address-I lost yours I think, from the cardamom sale.

YES! I think this is a way cool idea. I hope everyone is rooting 6-15 plants of what ever brugmansia they have. Remember 6-12 inch plants so no one feels cheated. I will D Mail you tonight!

If you have not started rooting, now is the time to get started. Get 2 root'n! This is a ALL participant activity. Don't feel as if your NOID doesn't count. Root it and see!

Rhapsody

Long Beach, CA

Something was brought to my attention about brugs... all brugs are not healthy. Please, if you are going to join this years brug swap please make sure your brugs are healthy. Look for bugs, dark spots, orange spots and odd leaves. If your brug is unhealthy please do not send them to other people potentially causing contamination to others happy plants.

If there is anyone on the list that has first hand experiences with any problem brug or any additional info to add now would be the time! I would like everyone to be happy with their new but HEALTHY brug family members. Big knowledge is the key to big healthy plants.

Thanks
Rhapsody

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I am in. Started a few this winter.

Antique Lace
Dr. Seuss
Everlasting
Isabella
Super Nova
NOID Peach

Long Beach, CA

OK. I was thinking about starting the swap fest as of Sunday March 24, 2013. This might give the last minute people the time to get rooting and have good enough roots to ship. I thought of ending the trade part officially on Sunday April 7, 2013. BE KIND! If someone really wants something, look and if if there is anything you do not have on their list. My greedy butt says everyone should have 10-15 brugs in their collection... maybe more! LMAO

Also, If there are people here who have rooted brugs left over please offer them for sale or trade of other plants at reasonable prices. What say ye?! This is a group effort and I would love some input.

Thanks bunches
Rhapsody

Long Beach, CA

Well the day has finally come! For those who want to participate in the brug swap please post the name of your brug, a picture of the bloom and how many you have rooted for the swap. Yes NOID's are welcome. I think they are highly underrated. I want to give everyone the time to get this part done.

Then starting Wednesday, March 27, 2013 please privet email the party with the plant you desire and make your arrangements.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have about 45 rooted and growing. 5 for my house, 5 for the museum and maybe 5 for another historic house. After that we will sell some for Earth Day but i will be looking to save 1 or 2 of each type for this venture. My greenhouse is about the size of a walk-in closet so it's a jungle in there now. As soon as it warms up again, I will be running the fan again.
I couldn't find any of the listed ones on DG. I found TROPICAL Sunset, not just plain Sunset. I am looking for a yellow Whiskers, Mountain Magic and a few others - I'll check. I'll get a list ready of mine.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 10:18 PM

Long Beach, CA

I have 3 Pink Suaveolens, 4 White Suaveolens, 3 Dr Seuss.

That is it for right now. Just started collecting so there will be more kinds in a few months. For right now that is what I have!

Thumbnail by Rhapsody616 Thumbnail by Rhapsody616 Thumbnail by Rhapsody616

I am interested in Dr. Seuss. But I need to do an inventory.

Long Beach, CA

Very nice... anyone else have plants to post?

I counted 45 rooted plants. Since I supply 5 to a museum and maybe 2 or 3 to another historic house and keep 5 for myself, I am limited on some of them that I only have 1 or 2. I only have 1 Dr Seuss and it was puny last year so I dug it up and brought it home from the museum. It has recovered, although not handsome, but it is the strongest scented brug I know. It bloomed about 6 weeks ago and is now putting on about 5 more buds. So that is the one I want. Do you have rooted cuttings? If so, were they cut from below the "Y"?
I can swap a Solid Gold, Cupid's Blush, Sunny Smiles or Maya.

Long Beach, CA

Quote from woodspirit1 :
I counted 45 rooted plants. Since I supply 5 to a museum and maybe 2 or 3 to another historic house and keep 5 for myself, I am limited on some of them that I only have 1 or 2. I only have 1 Dr Seuss and it was puny last year so I dug it up and brought it home from the museum. It has recovered, although not handsome, but it is the strongest scented brug I know. It bloomed about 6 weeks ago and is now putting on about 5 more buds. So that is the one I want. Do you have rooted cuttings? If so, were they cut from below the "Y"?
I can swap a Solid Gold, Cupid's Blush, Sunny Smiles or Maya.

Do you have a picture of sunny smiles?

Long Beach, CA

Quote from flowerjunkie :
I am in. Started a few this winter.

Antique Lace
Dr. Seuss
Everlasting
Isabella
Super Nova
NOID Peach

I would like a Everlasting. Do I have something you would like?

I think so. Let me see..........
Ah, here it is. I love the darker center. This is my first year for this one. I got it in a trade. So I am hoping it come true to the picture. Let me know if you want it and we will swap for Dr. Seuss.
I still need to know, however, if your Dr. Seuss comes from a cutting below the "Y."

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Long Beach, CA

Quote from woodspirit1 :
I think so. Let me see..........
Ah, here it is. I love the darker center. This is my first year for this one. I got it in a trade. So I am hoping it come true to the picture. Let me know if you want it and we will swap for Dr. Seuss.
I still need to know, however, if your Dr. Seuss comes from a cutting below the "Y."

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 8:10 AM

Mine were rooted after the Y. Most people really want to see blooms soon so that is my cutting option! And YES I want the dark center piece of happiness!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i wish i had some to trade with u all but lost mine, woodspirit1? how far is Lake Toxaway from hickory nc?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.