Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Brugmansias: The Great American Brug Swap.

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 69, Views: 725
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 24, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9366312

I had an epiphany and thought I would run it by you guys. I think all of us with brugs should start rooting 6-8 inch plants. Then in March when they are well rooted we should post what we have rooted and what we are looking for rooted. An even trade! Someone may swap a Pink Dragon for a Red Rover or any other brug so long as it is one you were looking for. What do you think?

I have already started. I have Sunset, Dr Susses and Pink Souvenier rooting away! Let me know if you are in!

Rhapsody

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9366506

I still have plants I want to cut on Rhaps, just looking for the space. I think it's a fantastic idea. I'll start your
list with my Pink Dragon I know you must be admiring ;) I will also start some Pink Perfektion, that one is starting to take over and needs cutting.
I have never heard of Pink Souvenier.
I couldn't find it in BGI's flowers gallery. Is it a registered cultivar? Have a pic?
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

December 25, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9366535

cant help but sounds fun,i really hope to learn more about these,ive got a new freind on her that offered me some cutting,im hoping i can do them proud,

JIM

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9366536

Once bitten bigbold, you can't turn back. Brugs are a fantastic plant to keep, imho.
Good luck with your cuttings.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 25, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9367119

TrumpetFlowerz wrote:I still have plants I want to cut on Rhaps, just looking for the space. I think it's a fantastic idea. I'll start your
list with my Pink Dragon I know you must be admiring ;) I will also start some Pink Perfektion, that one is starting to take over and needs cutting.
I have never heard of Pink Souvenier.
I couldn't find it in BGI's flowers gallery. Is it a registered cultivar? Have a pic?

Sorry Hun, I spelled it wrong, suaveolens Pink http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/523-suaveolens-pink/ I am a bad girl!!

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 25, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9367121

bigoldbuck701 wrote:cant help but sounds fun,i really hope to learn more about these,ive got a new freind on her that offered me some cutting,im hoping i can do them proud,

JIM

Oh Jim I am sure you will do fine! You can't kill any more then I have LOL!
Rhapsody
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 25, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9367123

TrumpetFlowerz wrote:Once bitten bigbold, you can't turn back. Brugs are a fantastic plant to keep, imho.
Good luck with your cuttings.

It is true. I am in love with ALLLLLLL of them. I want to have 30 of them making my garden a supper smelling heaven!! I have already started. Thanks for going on this journey with me. I hope more you are up for the ride!!

Rhapsody
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

December 26, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9367680

Sounds like a great idea -- but unfortunately one I would not be able to join in :( Have been an admirer of brugs for years but never had the courage to try -- was always told would not do well here--then recently talked to people in area that said they will grow fastly and fantasticly here all in one season -- so just recently acquired a couple cuttings to try to root and am hoping they do well and would love more beauties. But as for the trade in spring -- even if the few cuttings I have received do take off I would not as of yet have any to trade--so would only be able to look from afar this time:(
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 27, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9368251

If you can't trade theres always ebay seems like everyones getting in on selling brugs! Lots of new websites popping up too.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 27, 2012
11:24 PM

Post #9368809

sbish5 wrote:Sounds like a great idea -- but unfortunately one I would not be able to join in :( Have been an admirer of brugs for years but never had the courage to try -- was always told would not do well here--then recently talked to people in area that said they will grow fastly and fantasticly here all in one season -- so just recently acquired a couple cuttings to try to root and am hoping they do well and would love more beauties. But as for the trade in spring -- even if the few cuttings I have received do take off I would not as of yet have any to trade--so would only be able to look from afar this time:(

Don't be sad. If this takes off them we may do it again next year!
R

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 27, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9368810

Danasplants wrote:If you can't trade theres always ebay seems like everyones getting in on selling brugs! Lots of new websites popping up too.

I sell a few on Ebay and thought this would be nice amongst friends!!
R
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

December 28, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9368821

whats your name on there
i went looking last night ,since this thread started,i asked my local nursery,20 ,miles away and they have a few,even varigated ones,im planning on looking this weekend
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 28, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9369582

bigoldbuck701 wrote:whats your name on there
i went looking last night ,since this thread started,i asked my local nursery,20 ,miles away and they have a few,even variegated ones,im planning on looking this weekend

Rhapsody in Green!
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9370136

I used to have brugs until I moved. Right now, I don't have any and I am looking for seeds I used to have.
I would really like to buy a few cuttings or seeds if any of you have any to spare.. I have lots of other
seeds that I could send along also. When I had them, they bloomed very well.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 30, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9370282

I am still waiting for mine to put out seed pods. I would snap off the neck of the flower like a rose not knowing that the seed pod came from there... BONE HEAD MOVE!

Rhapsody
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

December 30, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9370335

hi, got 3 yesterday,and the purple one had seed pod,now to figure out what to do
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 30, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9370549

bigoldbuck701 wrote:hi, got 3 yesterday,and the purple one had seed pod,now to figure out what to do

Where did you find a purple one?

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 30, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9370566

I think he means a datura, if it's purple
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9370803

I ordered seeds for ten yellow brugs. I only want them for the patio this summer; I also ordered seeds of
dwarf Gloxinia, AV's, and I have plenty of streptocarpus seeds. At my other house my plant room looked
like a jungle. I will have to confine them to a room because I have two inside cats which would be sure
to try to eat them. I am too old to start collecting brugs again; I will settle for three yellow ones if I can raise
them from seed. However I think brugs and tropical hibiscus are about the prettiest things in the world.
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

December 30, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9370832

yes they were daturas,i know theres a difference ,but dont ask me what it is yet, got a varigated dat and a white one
any advice anyone on the seeds
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 30, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9370855

Brugmansia are Angel Trumpet. Tree and the flower hang down as if a angel was playing the trumpet!.
Datura is Devils Trumpet. Shrub like and the flower point upward as if the devil was playing a trumpet!
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

December 31, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9371063

ok, thanks,i know now
Printmaster
Briaroaks, TX

January 26, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9397909

Count me in.
Lonnie
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

January 26, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9398704

Printmaster wrote:Count me in.
Lonnie

Oh good... I am soooo excited. This could work out nicely for all of us. My Sunsets and Dr Seuss are will on the way. My Pink Suaveolens are rooted already.
Rhapsody

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 16, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9420653

Raps, you still doing this, (now?) I am sending out a couple of packages to brug friends the first week of March. Do you want a Pink Dragon?
If you do, dmail me an address-I lost yours I think, from the cardamom sale.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

February 16, 2013
11:59 PM

Post #9421548

TrumpetFlowerz wrote:Raps, you still doing this, (now?) I am sending out a couple of packages to brug friends the first week of March. Do you want a Pink Dragon?
If you do, dmail me an address-I lost yours I think, from the cardamom sale.

YES! I think this is a way cool idea. I hope everyone is rooting 6-15 plants of what ever brugmansia they have. Remember 6-12 inch plants so no one feels cheated. I will D Mail you tonight!

If you have not started rooting, now is the time to get started. Get 2 root'n! This is a ALL participant activity. Don't feel as if your NOID doesn't count. Root it and see!

Rhapsody

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 3, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9437675

Something was brought to my attention about brugs... all brugs are not healthy. Please, if you are going to join this years brug swap please make sure your brugs are healthy. Look for bugs, dark spots, orange spots and odd leaves. If your brug is unhealthy please do not send them to other people potentially causing contamination to others happy plants.

If there is anyone on the list that has first hand experiences with any problem brug or any additional info to add now would be the time! I would like everyone to be happy with their new but HEALTHY brug family members. Big knowledge is the key to big healthy plants.

Thanks
Rhapsody
flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9439884

I am in. Started a few this winter.

Antique Lace
Dr. Seuss
Everlasting
Isabella
Super Nova
NOID Peach
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 8, 2013
11:49 PM

Post #9443487

OK. I was thinking about starting the swap fest as of Sunday March 24, 2013. This might give the last minute people the time to get rooting and have good enough roots to ship. I thought of ending the trade part officially on Sunday April 7, 2013. BE KIND! If someone really wants something, look and if if there is anything you do not have on their list. My greedy butt says everyone should have 10-15 brugs in their collection... maybe more! LMAO

Also, If there are people here who have rooted brugs left over please offer them for sale or trade of other plants at reasonable prices. What say ye?! This is a group effort and I would love some input.

Thanks bunches
Rhapsody
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 24, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9460647

Well the day has finally come! For those who want to participate in the brug swap please post the name of your brug, a picture of the bloom and how many you have rooted for the swap. Yes NOID's are welcome. I think they are highly underrated. I want to give everyone the time to get this part done.

Then starting Wednesday, March 27, 2013 please privet email the party with the plant you desire and make your arrangements.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9460756

I have about 45 rooted and growing. 5 for my house, 5 for the museum and maybe 5 for another historic house. After that we will sell some for Earth Day but i will be looking to save 1 or 2 of each type for this venture. My greenhouse is about the size of a walk-in closet so it's a jungle in there now. As soon as it warms up again, I will be running the fan again.
I couldn't find any of the listed ones on DG. I found TROPICAL Sunset, not just plain Sunset. I am looking for a yellow Whiskers, Mountain Magic and a few others - I'll check. I'll get a list ready of mine.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 10:18 PM
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 27, 2013
12:38 AM

Post #9463475

I have 3 Pink Suaveolens, 4 White Suaveolens, 3 Dr Seuss.

That is it for right now. Just started collecting so there will be more kinds in a few months. For right now that is what I have!

Thumbnail by Rhapsody616   Thumbnail by Rhapsody616   Thumbnail by Rhapsody616      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9464042

I am interested in Dr. Seuss. But I need to do an inventory.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 27, 2013
10:17 PM

Post #9464574

Very nice... anyone else have plants to post?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9465256

I counted 45 rooted plants. Since I supply 5 to a museum and maybe 2 or 3 to another historic house and keep 5 for myself, I am limited on some of them that I only have 1 or 2. I only have 1 Dr Seuss and it was puny last year so I dug it up and brought it home from the museum. It has recovered, although not handsome, but it is the strongest scented brug I know. It bloomed about 6 weeks ago and is now putting on about 5 more buds. So that is the one I want. Do you have rooted cuttings? If so, were they cut from below the "Y"?
I can swap a Solid Gold, Cupid's Blush, Sunny Smiles or Maya.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 30, 2013
12:59 AM

Post #9466455

woodspirit1 wrote:I counted 45 rooted plants. Since I supply 5 to a museum and maybe 2 or 3 to another historic house and keep 5 for myself, I am limited on some of them that I only have 1 or 2. I only have 1 Dr Seuss and it was puny last year so I dug it up and brought it home from the museum. It has recovered, although not handsome, but it is the strongest scented brug I know. It bloomed about 6 weeks ago and is now putting on about 5 more buds. So that is the one I want. Do you have rooted cuttings? If so, were they cut from below the "Y"?
I can swap a Solid Gold, Cupid's Blush, Sunny Smiles or Maya.

Do you have a picture of sunny smiles?
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 30, 2013
1:09 AM

Post #9466458

flowerjunkie wrote:I am in. Started a few this winter.

Antique Lace
Dr. Seuss
Everlasting
Isabella
Super Nova
NOID Peach

I would like a Everlasting. Do I have something you would like?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9467424

I think so. Let me see...
Ah, here it is. I love the darker center. This is my first year for this one. I got it in a trade. So I am hoping it come true to the picture. Let me know if you want it and we will swap for Dr. Seuss.
I still need to know, however, if your Dr. Seuss comes from a cutting below the "Y."

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 31, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9467798

woodspirit1 wrote:I think so. Let me see...
Ah, here it is. I love the darker center. This is my first year for this one. I got it in a trade. So I am hoping it come true to the picture. Let me know if you want it and we will swap for Dr. Seuss.
I still need to know, however, if your Dr. Seuss comes from a cutting below the "Y."

Mine were rooted after the Y. Most people really want to see blooms soon so that is my cutting option! And YES I want the dark center piece of happiness!

moretz
hickory, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9467868

i wish i had some to trade with u all but lost mine, woodspirit1? how far is Lake Toxaway from hickory nc?
flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9468122

Rhapsody616,
I can send u an Everlasting for postage if you want.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 9:38 PM
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 1, 2013
12:15 AM

Post #9468175

flowerjunkie wrote:Rhapsody616,
I can send u an Everlasting for postage if you want.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 9:38 PM

I am allll over it!
Printmaster
Briaroaks, TX

April 1, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9468451

I need to take a detailed inventory, but some of these are large 24" tall rooted cuttings.
Here is what I have available for trade:
New Orleans Lady - tall
NOID - Yellow
Dr. Suess
Adora
Emerald Frost
Peaches & Cream
Pink Perfektion - (traded for this, but have not seen it bloom) so a NOID
Angel's Endless Summer- small cutting

I'm looking for:
B. Bergkonigin
Streptocarus - ( plants or seeds)
Lonnie
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 1, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9468781

Printmaster wrote: I need to take a detailed inventory, but some of these are large 24" tall rooted cuttings.
Here is what I have available for trade:
New Orleans Lady - tall
NOID - Yellow
Dr. Suess
Adora
Emerald Frost
Peaches & Cream
Pink Perfektion - (traded for this, but have not seen it bloom) so a NOID
Angel's Endless Summer- small cutting

I'm looking for:
B. Bergkonigin
Streptocarus - ( plants or seeds)
Lonnie

I would like a Adora. I have a Bergkonigin but I do not think it is big enough to cut. I will go take a look.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 1, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9469313

I have one Bergkonigin for you!!
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 8, 2013
12:56 AM

Post #9475480

What happened? So many of you wrote to me to ask if the event was still going to happen! Any way, if you still have any rooted cutting that you are willing to SELL, no time like the present to post them. Please list them with a picture of the mother trees bloom and the price you want for it! Let's keep the pricing reasonable folk.

Perhaps we can try the brug swap again latter in the year! That will give use some growing/ rooting time and hopefully some new plant listings.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9475733

moretz, if you want to replenish your brugs, we are selling a lot of brugs at the Earth Day sale on Tuesday, April 23. If interested, d-mail me and I will give directions.
Betty
Printmaster
Briaroaks, TX

April 8, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9475888

Rhapsody,

The Adora is on it's way. I'll PM the tracking number.
It should be there by Wednesday.

Lonnie
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 8, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9476524

Printmaster wrote:Rhapsody,

The Adora is on it's way. I'll PM the tracking number.
It should be there by Wednesday.

Lonnie

Thanks bunches. A soon as the gardener is done I will ship your B. Bergkonigin Will send tracking number via PM.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 9, 2013
12:01 AM

Post #9476982

woodspirit1 wrote:I think so. Let me see...

I was wondering if you would share the source of the Y theory. I am on BGI and asked if anyone there had ever heard of this theory and none of them had. I wanted to do a bit of resource into it.

Thanks

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2013
12:28 AM

Post #9476985

I learned it here on DG but it's been years ago. Some of mine have gotten 12 or 13 feet in the first year but all that growth delays the blooming. So next year I will try a few taken from above the initial Y and see how they do in comparison.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9477046

Rhapsody616 wrote:

I was wondering if you would share the source of the Y theory. I am on BGI and asked if anyone there had ever heard of this theory and none of them had. I wanted to do a bit of resource into it.

Thanks

Better go back and have another look Raphs, you had a lot of responses to your question.

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/24705-taller-tree-before-the-y/

chrissy

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 9, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9477533

chrissy100 wrote:

Better go back and have another look Raphs, you had a lot of responses to your question.

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/24705-taller-tree-before-the-y/

chrissy

I will go back and look but the response I received did not lend itself to the theory that a cut below the Y will yield a taller plant.

"The best way to describe it Rhaps is that until a plant Y's, it's a juvenile( a baby to you and me) , above the Y it contain adult cells that will then start to bloom.

A cutting taken from above the Y thinks it's an adult , it could be 6 inches high and will want to bloom, so you can end up having a huge bloom on a well rooted but tiny cutting.

You've got to think that a Brug child need to grow to a adult size to branch. The Branch above the Y now contains the adult cells. Any Trunk coming from the ground is growing up ( unless it came from a above the Y cutting) ;) :lol:

Confused!! Hope not!
Wayne "

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 9, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9477545

I went back and read the post at BGI.

Here was my question:

"No I am not confused... YET :panic: . That was kind of my thinking but not with the detail you just gave, so thank you for that! Still is there any truth to the taller tree theory? And for that matter, will a brug grown from seed grow taller then a rooted cutting from the same plant? I have several at this point. I wont cut them until they are as tall as I am 5'8 and have given me at lest 10 blooms. I would not want to stunt the growth of my babies! Rhapsody "

Here was the answer:

"Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:35 AM
Truth is..some grow huge like Mango Crush before flowering..some grow smaller, flower quicker. It's random, it's just what they do. I don't think there's any truth to the taller tree theory.
Again Rhaps, you got to think of the baby nature of the seedling that will take often up to 2 years to reach adulthood.

Take a top cutting from a adult plant, and the plant thinks it's a adult.

Going right off tangent, but's it's kinda relevant. I remember reading about Dolly the Sheep. Dolly the sheep was the first mammal to be cloned by using 6 year old adult sheep cells.
She was born healthy , it all was good, but only four years later she developed illness that effect older sheep. Dolly was born effectively with adult cells, and didn't live as long as a normal sheep,and aged prematurely. :eusa_think:

What's this gotta do with sheep, not much, but this might stick in your mind about why mature top cuttings are different from immature cuttings.

Hence, all my top cuttings I have are now called " Dollies". Older than they look|!! ;)

Wayne "

Wayne said appears to be saying there is no truth to the below the Y theory. No one (Edna, Donna, Al, Lynn, Mike) said any different. That is why I asked for the source of that info here!

Thanks

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9481893

well, all the cuttings I have taken from below the Y have grown very tall but bloom later. This would be fine if I lived in the extreme south (lower Florida, Texas and California) but here, you wait a long time and only get one flush. The only that gave me 2 flushes was Solid Gold.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 20, 2013
12:39 AM

Post #9490372

I would like to thank everyone who participated in the Brug Swap. I worked out well for many people. Maybe we will of a Fall Swap next. Get to rooting your babies!!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2013
12:44 AM

Post #9491479

We had the plant sale yesterday. I am very sore and having trouble sleeping. Rhapsody, I know you are furious with me for not completing my trade but I held back Sunny Smiles,a good one, for you. It is rather tall so I will have to get a special shipping package down at the P.O. Monday. Long Beach is a long ways from NC so I will have to use some pretty wet soil but I'll give it a try.
Sorry I have been a dud, but with a new job and the plant sale coming up, I was overwhelmed. We have a small town of about 7,000 souls but made $495 on the sale. Almost a $200 increase over last years. We still have quite a few left and we sell them on the lawn of the museum.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 21, 2013
2:21 AM

Post #9491494

woodspirit1 wrote:We had the plant sale yesterday. I am very sore and having trouble sleeping. Rhapsody, I know you are furious with me for not completing my trade but I held back Sunny Smiles,a good one, for you. It is rather tall so I will have to get a special shipping package down at the P.O. Monday. Long Beach is a long ways from NC so I will have to use some pretty wet soil but I'll give it a try.
Sorry I have been a dud, but with a new job and the plant sale coming up, I was overwhelmed. We have a small town of about 7,000 souls but made $495 on the sale. Almost a $200 increase over last years. We still have quite a few left and we sell them on the lawn of the museum.

No hun. Life happens to us all. Congratulation on a totally kick a** sale. It sounds incredible. If you still want to send it I am alllll over it. I think it is a wonderful thing you are going. Do you have any pictures of your lawn sale?
ConnieMounts
Indiantown, FL

April 23, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9495025

I didn't read everything real close, but I think from what I have read or skimmed over that you want tall plants, the time to get those taller plants is now (spring), start feeding your plants everytime you water a strong dilution of liquid fertilizer and add some Gibberellic Acid (Mega Gro) and your plant will send up shoots from the bottom of the plant, let them grow and put stakes on them to keep them straight, when they get to a good size(3 to 4 ft or you can let them continue till they Y, which could be 6 to 7 feet) cut them at the base and root them in a pot of potting soil. They will continue to grow until they Y, the more you fertilize them the taller they will be, when you slack off on fertilizer they will Y sooner and there growth will slow dramatically.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 23, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9495235

I have some GA3. Never used it to water, just as a foliage spray. When you say "you water a strong dilution of liquid fertilizer" do you mean make a stronger batch? Wouldn't it burn the roots? One more questions. Does the use of GA3 and a strong dilution of liquid fertilizer cause the brug to grow with weak stems? Thanks ConnieMounts in advance!
ConnieMounts
Indiantown, FL

April 24, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9496059

I use miracle grow a heaping spoonful per gallon just as a jumpstart for spring and then I reduce the amount as it gets hotter. I use GA3 in the water once every 1 to 2 months only in spring weather. You just have to watch and slow down on fertlizer if they get to spindly but usually they don't. I then spray with GA3 but not every month, it depends on my weather, I don't want a lot of soft growth in the heat of summer so I slack off of it when it starts hitting 90 degrees here. I use it to get a jump start on size, so that when summer and then winter comes around my plants are larger and able to handle the weather conditions better. I used GA3 on my plumeria last spring and you would not believe how fast they grew and starting blooming large beautiful blooms, the foliage was just beautiful, I need to do that again, maybe tonight. LOL I use mega grow and I add 1 tablespoon per gallon to water with. I had a gallon of MegaGro from a few years ago and it was clear color and when I ordered again last year after using it all it was brown color and it doesn't seem to be as strong as the previous gallon I had. I tried to find info on it to see if they changed the formula but found nothing, I need to contact them somehow to see if it is a different formulation. It still makes a difference but it just seems to me, not as drastic. It might be my imagination though. Anyway I am out of here for now, I need to go care for my plants, I have been totally exhausted lately and can't seem to get any steam up for anything but working.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9496892

Here's some other recipes for Brug food...from other Brug forum posts.

Brugmansia Foliar& Root Feed
Brugs are heavy feeders.

2 cups water
1 12 oz can of beer
1/2 cup household ammonia
1 cup Epsom salt
12 drops Tea Tree oil (fungal infection)
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1/4 cup liquid seaweed (Kelp)

Spray daily or root drench regularly.

Variation of above.

12 oz beer
1 cup epsom salts
1/2 cup ammonia
2 cups water
4 tbsp Bloombooster (high in phosphorous rooting and flowers
4 tbsp Miracle-Gro
1/2 cup molasses

We are now going to go with two Tbls of the concentrate to one gallon of water. This is important to know to determine how Much Tea Tree Oil to use. So here is what we come up with for our latest batch.

2 cups of water
1, 12 oz can of beer
1/2 cup of household ammonia
1 cup of Epsom salt
3 Tablespoons of Tea Tree oil
1/4 cup of molasses
1/2 liquid seaweed ( Kelp )
1/2 cup of garlic spray
1/2 cup of Humate Tea

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 25, 2013
9:14 PM

Post #9497431

You two are on top of it! Thanks for the info Connie and Chuck!

Connie: I am going to try the GA3 ion the plumerias this year. What PPM are you using in a foliage spray... 500, 1000?

Chuck: Whats up with the beer? I will part with many things but NOT MY BEER!!! LOL
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9508904

Not sure, just passing on the recipe. The recipes make about a gallon of concentrate.

I think it is the yeast in the beer that helps in the base formula.

Rhapsody - buy a six pack of the cheap stuff you won't be tempted to drink!!!
ConnieMounts
Indiantown, FL

May 5, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9509175

I'm gonna mix up this concoction and spray my plants with it today, I got to run to the grocery store to get the molasses, beer and ammonia, I will have to order some of the other stuff or go to the hydrophonics store, by the time I buy everything I will have spent $200, you know you have to have a plant or two and one of this and a few of those so by the time you get out of the garden shop you have spent a hundred dollars. I picked up 2 confederate jasmines and a grape vine last night when I went to Walmart for fertilizer. LOL Today I bought a few more things for this mix and spent another $80. My plants better jump for joy and reach for the stars with lots of green leaves and beautiful blooms...
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

May 5, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9509181

Your are a good plant mama!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9509548

I got this recipe from Joan Cook that she used on her brugs:

12 oz of cheapest beer
1/2 Cup of Ammonia
1 Cup Epsome Salt--make sure the salt is dissolved real good so it doesn't clog up the sprayer part of your bottle..
2 Cups of Water--I take half the water which will be hot to dissolved the salt. then add the rest of the water to cool it..
2 drops of tea tree oil
2 drops of Superthrive
1/4 cup of molasses

I usually make the recipe to fill up a large sprayer since I got too many plants to spray..lol..I spray my plants early in the morning before the sun is up or very late in evening when the sun is gone over my trees.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9509555

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/956114/

Link to some other recipes as well on here..
ConnieMounts
Indiantown, FL

May 6, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9511316

I sprayed my plants tonight, I mixed a batch up last night but was too tired to use it. I had to wait tonight till the wind died down and that didn't happen till after 9pm.
This is the recipe I used, didn't have Fulvic acid, I used a mineral additive, can't remember what it is called, you mix it in with the soil but I thought I would try it in the mixture and it mixed right on up, it is a real soft powdery substance.

Brugmansia tea Concentrate
1 teaspoon peroxide
1 - 12 oz can of dark beer
1/2 cup household clear ammonia
1/4 cup Epsom salt
15 drops Tea Tree Oil
4 drops Superthrive liquid (optional)
1/2 white aspirin tablet, crushed
1 Vitamin B tablet, crushed
1 calcium tablet, crushed
1/4 cup unsulphured blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup powdered or liquid seaweed
4 tbsp. Miracle Gro Tomato Fertilizer
1 teaspoon Fulvic acid (optional)
2 teaspoons Lemon dish soap liquid
Water
Using a clean one gallon milk jug, add everything except the water. When everything is in the jug, fill the rest with clean water, filtered rain water being the best. Use this for foliar feeding or add 2 tablespoons to a one gallon container of water for direct fertilizing. Same mixture for both.
You can Spray away, trying to get the undersides of the leaves if at all possible. There are more cells on the undersides of the leaves that can use this foliar feeding mix than on leaf surface. You can filter rainwater by placing a large funnel over an empty, clean milk jug and then putting a paper coffee filter in the funnel. Pour the rainwater through it. Use this water to fill your spray bottle.
Use once monthly, or once a week if you want faster growth. Leaves will be stronger, bigger, and the trunk and root system overall. Buds will set better, and more of them. Go for it!
I sprayed it on all my potted plants, so we will see what happens, I added forbid to it to get rid of the mites that are still hanging around on some of the plants.
I will let you all know what happens. My plants are putting out some new growth and starting to green up nice cause I fertilized them with Peter's and Megagro last wednesday.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

May 8, 2013
1:17 AM

Post #9512809

You guys are working it out!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America