My Texas Native Plant Christmas Wonderland.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

We received about two inches of very wet snow and also a very good rain, this was a wonderful Christmas gift since we needed the moisture so badly after two months of drought.
How did it work out at your house?

Arlington, TX

I got the rain but perhaps not that much snow. We did get enough to have a "white Christmas" though. The rain was so needed.

Talihina, OK

We had an all nighter on the rain and the snow came later yesterday afternoon so got between 4 an 6 in. then it all froze solid last night.. what ever we got it was welcome

Talihina, OK

Just a few pix from my house #1 looking north #2 looking west #3 my poor Camelia it was just starting to bloom

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

We got about the same amount of snow as Grits - and it was/is much appreciated here as well! The lettuce growing in the garden will probably not make it but we had cut it pretty close to bring in to eat since we knew the storm was coming. I covered the pansies up with buckets (which are still covered in snow). Does anyone not cover their pansies when it snows and they still survive? I'm always afraid that too much cold will kill them.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We got rain followed by about 2" of snow. It's still not all melted off the yard and the stuff that was on the driveway has refrozen and is now ice again. I'm really upset that my frostweed didn't freeze! I think mine is defective!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I love your snow pictures, Jo, grits and Stephanie! Snow just covers up a lot of details and brings out some usually un noticed details. I love how it transfroms the look completely, like for instance, those strawberry fields. Grits I think you should submit your shots to the landscape portion of the DG photo contest next year. I thought they would make a nice painting. Still no snow for us, just cold weather for a few days.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2012 2:46 AM

Talihina, OK

I had just planted some Pansy as I was doing some winter rehab on some rotted raised beds and didn't cover any of them so we shall see how much cold they can take ..I think my local greenhouse guy just leaves his out and will check on that today when I finally venture out to get the mail..The streets were thawed fairly well yesterday in the afternoon but we have a kinda nasty hill to go down in order to get to the postoffice,but do need to go today as we have more frozen precip in the forecast tomorrow ...We didn't get our daily paper yesterday due to icy roads and our local weekly comes out today and DW was already having withdrawals .So if she has to go another day !!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure y'all get the picture

Yes, this cold weather is making me mad and fat, I don't move much in cold weather and all i want to do is eat because I am bored.

Arlington, TX

Josephine, could you ever be fat! I don't mind as I know it won't last too long. My carnivorous plants need their winter rest so I don't complain. My cactus on the other hand are now wet and cold and that could be very bad for them. I am tired of cleaning though...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Pansies if roots have set in do fine, but the bucket was a good idea if only for the worst of storm or overnite, if you had banked the lettuce in leaves or pine needles, and maybe anyway for stubborns sake should come back with a bit of sun

Central, TX(Zone 8b)

We were with our daughter's family in Granbury, TX, just a wisp of snow fell for about 6 seconds! It did rain some but not much. Meanwhile down home south of Austin not a drop fell - very disappointing - the drought continues...

I am sorry you got no rain, it has been so dry, this has been a real blessing for us.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Josephine, what a pretty lady you are!!!

Thank you Kay, it must be all that labor growing the native plants that keeps me fit.

Talihina, OK

Been raining here all morning not very hard and thankfully it is too warm for it to refreeze everything so just hangin looking at seed catalogs and wishin

Arlington, TX

Raining here and I wish I had covered the cactus bed. Hoping I won't loose too many to cold winter rains.

No rain here yet, just foggy and misty.

Talihina, OK

First pic is a Pansy peeking thru the snow #2 shows one that seems just fine and the last is showing what My Hugelkuture bed looks like a muddy hole in the ground so I guess this answers the question if the snow will harm the pansy guess they be a lot tougher than their name implies..

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Chuckl- i THINK when you call someone a pansy it refers to how well women like pansies, so you're calling them feminine, not wimpy. Ice can hurt them if on them long, so you wash the ice off. Snow wont slow them unless it it gets too heavy.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Here in Washington state my pansies do great all winter- We just had 3" of snow and they loved it. Last year I had some that were 2 years old, but they gave up in the summer heat. I envy all of you down south- we have a long wait for veggie gardens- but I'm planning! Happy New Year, all.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Our snow is melting off finally so I checked the garden and you were right kattriana, the lettuce lives! Don't know if it will be able to put on new leaves in this chilly weather, but maybe it will at least survive till warmer temps.

Yep, those pansies are tough puppies! I wasn't sure before so wasn't taking chances - the buckets over them didn't do any harm at least. (We have had temps in the teens at night and it is a wonder anything can survive that.) Amazingly there is a petunia in a brick planter (back porch, south side of house) that was completely covered in snow four days and it survived too (nice green leaves but no flowers of course.) The collards are doing fine as well. So much to be thankful for!

JoParrot, it must be nice to have weather that allows pansies to last for two years! (bet you don't ever see 110 degrees like we do fairly often.)

You are so right Garden Sass, the south needs much more rain to have a productive spring (before the toasty days of summer cooks everything right out in the garden.)

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

We do have 100+ at times, but not for long periods. But I just checked the forecast on my computer- For the next week it says lows at night will be from 14 to 18 with highs about 22---that's tough! I'm sure I will lose plants in my little greenhouse, but there's no place I can put them.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Do you hang a light bulb under the gh? Like you would do for your car motor? As long as the winds dont kick up into gales all but the most tender plants should survive.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I have a small heater, but at 10 it won't be enough. Today I'll move my 3 citrus plants into the garage and hope for the best-

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah, highs at 22 degrees borders on absolutely miserable weather. But spring is on the way!! (I'm looking for that silver lining everybody talks about.)

Hang on, Kiddos - the days are getting LONGER! Spring is on the way!!!!

It actually smells likeSpring here today. Does anybody know what I mean when i say that?????

Yes, Steady, I do.

Talihina, OK

Smells like 19 here in Okie land

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Smells cold here.

It is nice here, I have been out trimming the plants up front.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Its still only in the forties this afternoon but the natives are restless (and showing up on my doorstep.) : )

Very cute!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We used to have a flock (?) of guinea hens that lived on the property behind our house when I was growing up. Those things were obnoxious!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Your winter snow looked great! I didn't want to get outside too much during that time. The decorations were pretty with the snow around too.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep, guineas can be loud and they certainly aren't the smartest critters in the barnyard! But they are kinda cute/silly looking and these particular three were hand raised so very sweet/friendly (they are my daughter's pets.)

Just so we could have more moisture it would be nice if another snowstorm would slowly blow over Texas.

Someone two streets over from me has a flock of guineas. When they feel threatened, they fly up into the trees. I like having them there. They are interesting and really add some diversity to our neighborhood.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They also are good for controlling grasshoppers and other pests.

I wonder if I could have pet guineas...hmmmm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.