Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: storing seeds in fridge or freezer???

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9367079

I store my tomato seeds in the fridge but I don't know if I should store any of my other seeds there year round. I have watermelon, squash, okra, cantaloupe, and cucumber seeds that I am inquiring about. If I stored these seeds in the fridge or freezer, would it improve the seed's life before germination? I currently do not keep these seeds in air-tight containers and I do not use silica packs. I however, keep them in the containers that contain diabetic test strips away from heat/cold and sunlight.

I store my bean, corn, and peas in air-tight glass jars with silica packs underneath the cabinet away from heat/cold and sunlight. These will last several years by doing this method.

What do y'all do? Thanks for the responses.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9368533

The more tropical fruits are not likely going to do well in the freezer, though the fridge is probably OK. I would try vacuum packing them, actually. Oxygen ages them.

What I do:
No special storage.
Plant twice as many the second year, then throw away any with a poor sprouting average.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9368557

Many seed banks are built into the permafrost. Svalbard Global Seed Vault is an important one.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

December 28, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9369298

I have been storing all the seeds you mentioned in the freezer for years. A lot of them I freeze in the original package in a zip lock bag. Since my diabetic supplies started coming in those nifty snap top bottles, I put my small seeds in them. Handy to carry to the garden. The seeds I save like green beans, okra, and butter beans, I put in jars like you. Every thing goes in the freezer. I planted a new type of okra this year a friend gave me and they had been in the freezer for five years. I got a perfect stand the first time. He planted seed from the year before and like to never have got a stand. My theory is that if the seed germination is good going into the freezer it will be good coming out. Just a red neck comment he has learned from long experience.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America