Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Beginner Vegetables: storing seeds in fridge or freezer???

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9367079

I store my tomato seeds in the fridge but I don't know if I should store any of my other seeds there year round. I have watermelon, squash, okra, cantaloupe, and cucumber seeds that I am inquiring about. If I stored these seeds in the fridge or freezer, would it improve the seed's life before germination? I currently do not keep these seeds in air-tight containers and I do not use silica packs. I however, keep them in the containers that contain diabetic test strips away from heat/cold and sunlight.

I store my bean, corn, and peas in air-tight glass jars with silica packs underneath the cabinet away from heat/cold and sunlight. These will last several years by doing this method.

What do y'all do? Thanks for the responses.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9368533

The more tropical fruits are not likely going to do well in the freezer, though the fridge is probably OK. I would try vacuum packing them, actually. Oxygen ages them.

What I do:
No special storage.
Plant twice as many the second year, then throw away any with a poor sprouting average.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9368557

Many seed banks are built into the permafrost. Svalbard Global Seed Vault is an important one.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

December 28, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9369298

I have been storing all the seeds you mentioned in the freezer for years. A lot of them I freeze in the original package in a zip lock bag. Since my diabetic supplies started coming in those nifty snap top bottles, I put my small seeds in them. Handy to carry to the garden. The seeds I save like green beans, okra, and butter beans, I put in jars like you. Every thing goes in the freezer. I planted a new type of okra this year a friend gave me and they had been in the freezer for five years. I got a perfect stand the first time. He planted seed from the year before and like to never have got a stand. My theory is that if the seed germination is good going into the freezer it will be good coming out. Just a red neck comment he has learned from long experience.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America