Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Artiifical Light, Milk Spray, The Bottom of the Pot: Garden Myths

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Artiifical Light, Milk Spray, The Bottom of the Pot
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Artiifical Light, Milk Spray, The Bottom of the PotReplies: 11, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9367454

I always knew that pot shards for drainage doesn't work. The way I see it, it would either create an umbrella over the drainage holes or cover them, preventing drainage.
But milk really might/could work? I have thought about using it...I will have to try it this next spring and see how it goes.
Thanks for the article, Paul.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 10:17 AM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9367794

i've used milk for mildew on crepe myrtles and other plants and it does work.
i use the coffee filters too and love them but i always sprinkle a tiny amount of pea gravel in the bottom, on top of the filter. force of habit, maybe.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9367872

It's remarkable how persistent that gravel-drainage story is, though. The last mainstream article about container gardening I read carefully instructed the gardener to use gravel or broken pottery at the bottom of the pot.
HighPlainsB
Elizabeth, CO

December 31, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9371216

I am new to this site and forum. Have been putting up with Powdery Mildew on my Pumpkins, Squash and every thing it ends up spreading to every year. I am looking forward to trying the Milk Spray this year. I really hope it works. I will shout with glee if it does.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9371717

I used to use coffee filters but found that they disintegrated in a few months. I now use a piece of landscape cloth (for keeping weeds under control). It keeps the soil from washing out and, importantly, prevents any bugs crawling into the drainage hole.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9371788

lol, that's why i use coffee filters...they disintegrate just about the time the root systems get going strong and hold the soil in. that is a good idea though!
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9371970

I'm going to try the landscape cloth in pots next year -- thanks for the suggestion! Maybe it will help me resist that potsherd reflex.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9372444

dawnsharon2001, have you read any of tapla's threads in the Container Gardening Forum? They will help with your reflexes! They are, I believe, stickied to the top of the page.
PermaCycle
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9377356

The ingredient in milk that makes milk effective against fungi is lactobacillus, a naturally occurring bacterium found in milk, dairy products, fermented foods, and hominids. The lactobacillus acts like a growth regulator for fungi, yeast and aerobic bacteria in the environment. In the garden, the bacterial cycle is responsible for regulating the balance of organic composition in soil and increasing the formation of humus. But, there is more, lactobacillus is a beneficial bacterium that helps sterilize soil and promote disease suppression in the soil as well as on foliage. I have used it for years to sterilize commercial soil products and control powdery mildew. By limiting the presence of undesirable organisms in the soil, lactobacillus helps to create a more balanced environment. The Japanese have used lactobacillus in their farming for centuries.

However, rather than using milk straight from the container in the garden where it can create unpleasant odors and other problems, a more effective method is make your own lactobacillus serum and spray it directly on the plants and soil. This process takes about a month, so I start my own production in the winter. When molasses is added to feed the bacteria and kept in the refrigerator, the serum will keep for up to 6 months. There are several web sites, including YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG4M71vMbTs], that offers a how-to on making lactobacillus. It's as easy as making yogurt, producing curds and whey. The curds (see image) can be fed to livestock or pets to improve their digestion (the cat colony in my neighborhood loves it!), put into the compost bin, or turned into the soil. The whey is used to make your lactobacillus probiotic that will need to be activated before using. This process includes adding molasses, together with a high carbon source (such as rice or wheat bran, finely shredded leaves, peat, rice hulls, and so on). Once matured, the activated lactobacillus can be used make bokashi, compost accelerator, and soil amendment.

Thumbnail by PermaCycle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9379470

carrielamont, I have to admit that I don't understand tapla's beautiful discussions. Some of the ingredients are things I'm not familiar with (pine fines?), but mostly I just don't seem able to wrap my head around it. I'll try again next spring.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9380399

Lol, dawnsharon2001, I don't understand them either, but I believe them! Basically I add perlite to anything I'm putting in a pot. I did read them all once and I learned that plants need oxygen more than dirt.
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9396507

Adding perlite to container soil -- now that I can do! Thanks, carrielamont!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Artiifical Light, Milk Spray, The Bottom of the Pot Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gravel Baja_Costero 5 Jan 1, 2013 9:28 PM
Milk works water_sun_grow 0 Dec 31, 2012 10:21 AM
I grow veggies under lights 24hrs a day ElementalDomain 0 Jan 1, 2013 6:55 PM
coffee filters joandud 1 Jan 3, 2013 8:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America