-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9367759

For several years, I have looked in the catalogs at Violas. I have little violets in my grass and in a couple of my gardens I have to diligently eradicate, or they would take over. Can anyone tell me if the following violets are aggressive? If you have grown any of these, I would like your comments. Here's the ones I am considering and are listed in Bluestone Perennials:

Viola cornuta 'Blue Perfection', Viola c. 'Chantreland', and Viola c. 'Lutea Splendens'

Viola Etain

Viola Rebecca (Bluestone says it doesn't spread)

Also, these are so cute, I wonder if one could grow them indoors as house plants?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9367878

I know wild ones grow as house plants ,not sure about the cultivars offered more recently. I hear some of the violas get larger now. If they are Pansy type viola I would imagine a cool place for them and they still would.
Depending on where you are the garden type ,earth, sun, shade, any plant may be aggressive , you just have to try and find out , gardeners intuition ,is every ,and all when it comes to choosing plants. lol that is the trick to all ,isn't it?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9367923

I am wondering if indoor pansies would get buggy.
Thanks for replying.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9377084

Birder, I've tried viola Etain a few times, because the pictures in the catalogues look fabulous.
But I've never gotten it to grow.
I've blamed our heat & humidity, but that's my favorite excuse for any plant demise.
I haven't tried the others.
I've got a pretty little white viola with nice cut foliage (which arrived as a stowaway in a different plant order) has returned for several years now. It does reseed around, but I don't find it annoying at all - it's so pretty that I welcome it scattering itself around. Here's a picture of it. I think it might be viola pedata, but I'm not sure.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9377177

How sweet!

I've inherited several types of violets, including yellow, and I love them all. I must admit, though, that the white ones could be a nuisance. There's one place, right at the base of a Santolina, that comes up vigorously every spring and all summer long, no matter how many times I pull it up -or how deep I dig. The white clump in Pic4 I leave alone as it is next to ferns, and I figure it's a fair battle between them for the territory.

I don't have any info on the named varieties, but have to think they are less rampant? Others here may know better...

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9377229

Your white violets look like a white version of the invasive purple ones running rampant in my woods.
I think you're right to be wary of it.
I've given up on trying to remove the purple ones.
They are everywhere; manual removal just isn't realistic.
I've heard soil amendment is the better way to control them,
since you have to change the soil condition so it's not so conducive for their growth.
But frankly I'm not sure what amendments they're talking about, so I'm not much help!!.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9377272

Most likely you have to change the PH, and add lime since they thrive in acid soil. The east coast is all acid, and our native plants, as well as many favorite garden annuals and perennials, are happy in it. I add compost and manure from time to time, which tempers the acidity somewhat, improves texture and provides nutrients, but the violets keep on coming. Maybe for lawn it would be ok to really work on the ph, but in my garden I think too many other plants would be affected. I'd rather just keep pulling the violets out where I don't want them. I'm happy enough to see them when there's so little else.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 7, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9378459

Have to agree, Pfg. I've "rescued" the wild ones out of lawn and moved them to garden beds where they thrive and get nicer flowers. Always look forward to them in the spring. I think DH has used Weed B Gone on some in the lawn in the past but it takes a couple of applications.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9380610

Well, I was wondering if the violets that are sold in the catalogs are as prolific as the little wild ones in the lawns. Guess I will do some research.
And, are the ones that are a combo of purple and yellow that grow in the lawn violets or violas? The violets in the catalogs are so cute, but I don't want something that gets out of control.

Weerobin, That white viola certainly has unusual leaves-nothing I have seen before on a viola or violet.

Thanks all for posting.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9380628

Do you mean these? They are Johnny-Jump-Ups. Once you have them, you have them forever. I'm not sure if they are annuals, like pansies, or short-lived perennials. Either way, they pop up all over the place in early spring, wherever there is room. I pull them up after a while when it's time to plant other things, but some I leave. If it gets hot enough they disappear, but they're back again in the spring.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9380630

Oops-- pic didn't post...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9380631

Aaarrrggghhh!

Thumbnail by Pfg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9380641

I love Johnny Jump-Ups, but they don't love me -- I've never been able to get them going -- though that being said, it has been years since I've tried.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9380642

Yes they are vigorous,, but that is a nice clump stand of "them"!!!!!
Besides they are pretty little flower also (sigh)
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9380954

Pfg: I don't really know what kind of violet/violas they are. They just come up Everywhere and difficult to get rid of in the gardens. They will take over a garden. I have kept them out of my garden/s, but the lawn is a lost cause. I like them in the lawn, but if they were in my garden-they would simply take over. Your little Johnny Jump Ups are quite cute. I don't think that is what I have. I will try to take a picture this spring. I have never bought any kind of violet and yet they're all over my lawn in the shady area.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9380986

It doesn't sound like yours are JJ's, maybe more related to my white violets, which are true garden thugs. In early spring I have masses of Forget-me-nots and JJ's everywhere, covering what would have been bare earth--so cheerful and springy! I can never have too many at that point. And I always speak very nicely to the ones I have to yank when they get in the way of spring planting, etc.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9381034

What is the key to planting Johnny Jump-Ups -- do you recall? Could I plant them now? In the spring? Direct sow?

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 1:42 PM
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9381489

I direct sowed them from seed 5-6 years ago, don't remember exactly when. Now or very early spring should work, just scratch the surface of the soil and sprinkle the seeds around. They self-sow prolifically, although it took mine a couple of years to start popping up all over.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9381605

Johnny jump ups can be something of a pest after a while. I seem to recall getting my mom to send seeds on 2 or 3 occasions until I finally got them established (by tossing the seeds into the beds). After a few years, they can get so thick as to prevent other seedlings from coming up. On the other hand, they certainly ar cheerful and immensely variable, and few others things bloom so early and so late in a cold climate.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9381662

I do love them, but that's why I pull them out once other things need the space. One place I like to leave them for a long while is around rose bushes. They really help with weeds, and look so sweet poking up through the branches. Eventually, though, they get too thick and sprawly and out they go.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9388972

I wrote Bluestone Perennials. There is "one" violet that does not spread. It's Viola 'Rebecca'. It is pretty, white, yellow, and blue. It is sterile.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America