Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Orchids: Under Siege - AGAIN !!!!

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 1, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elvis813
Ruskin, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 27, 2012
2:17 AM

Post #9368147

I had a problem this June with the Saddleback caterpillar , I could only find 3-4 of the little guys but they did extensive damage to both my Den. moschatum plants that are over 5 foot tall. It seems after I nuked the Den.'s they layed eggs on my 3 large Edvah lou and turned them into swiss cheese . If you had problems with them this summer - keep a watchful eye the babies are hatching and the ones I found are about 3 mm ! P.S. use gloves these guys have a sting like a bee ! Regards , Lisa Marie

Thumbnail by Elvis813   Thumbnail by Elvis813   Thumbnail by Elvis813
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9368326

What did you use when you "nuked" them, Lisa Marie?

If you used Bt of some sort (eg. Thuricide) you do need to follow up with it every couple of weeks to prevent exactly this happening. The first taste of treated leaves would have killed the babies, too.

Elaine

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America