Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Houseplants: Celosia Cockscomb?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mimidahop
Miami, FL

December 27, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9368428

Hello,

I received some plant clippings from a friend in Va, she did not give me planting instructions and I thought that I could just stick the plants in some dirt and they would root. However it did not, seeds dropped off of them and started growing. My friend did not know what the name of the plant was so I did some internet research and I believe that one to be a Cockscomb, the other I am unsure.
I repotted them and on Dec 9th and today I think I see the start of something. Take a look and maybe you can help me identify the taller leafy plant.

The first pic is from my friend's garden
2nd is the results of my thinking that the plant would root
3rd the results of the seeds falling off of the cutting
4th after my repotting, these are the taller green leafy ones
5th the shorter red stem and redish leaf ones

Thumbnail by mimidahop   Thumbnail by mimidahop   Thumbnail by mimidahop   Thumbnail by mimidahop   Thumbnail by mimidahop
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9368532

The picture of your friends plant I would call the Plume type rather than the Cockscomb type, but yes, it is Celosia. What I think of the Cockscomb type sort of looks like a fancy colored brain.

I have found that the flower color is predicted by the leaf and stem color. Mostly the green leaf/pale stem will end up yellow or white, or pale pink. The redder stem and especially the red leaves will be hot pink to red flowers.

When you want to collect seed you will get a mix, if there was a mix in the garden. If you only want one color then thin the plants before they flower, so the pollen only comes from the color you want, then the next generations might slowly become one color. You are simply selecting for the color you want.

In FL you might grow them out doors year round, I am not sure.
Here (CA) they are summer annuals. They thrive in the heat.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2012 1:01 PM
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9368999

I agree with Diana, both about what you have and the description of cockscomb, (definitely looks like a brain. ;)).
The taller ones are zinnias. They'll all look gorgeous in the garden together!
Barb
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9369013

I see at the very back of the prince feathers celosia, in the photo of your friend's garden, a cockscomb celosia. The second photo is obviously celosia, the second and third photo are of zinnias and the 4th photo is of the new celosia seedlings some of which look like they might turn out red like the ones in the photo and the ones without red stems could turn out to be yellow ones or pale ones of some color, not red. Good job of propagating the plants you were given. I think you have a bright future as a gardner!!!!!
mimidahop
Miami, FL

December 30, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9370382

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your responses.

Diana_K, I think that you may be right about the Cockscomb. When I was in VA one of the plants looked like a picture of the Cockscomb, but the others look more feathery. All of the little plants (Celosia) have red stems, and some have red leaves while others have all green leaves. And quite a few of them have little feathery looking blooms.

I got the cuttings in October and they were all put in the same bag. I was not really sure what was in the bag, but I think they were a mixture of all that were in her garden. When the first leafy green ones started growing, while in the pot with the cuttings, I thought that somehow some weed got in my pot and I pulled them. Then like the next day or so I saw a few more and realized that she must have put some of the other flowers in the bag.

Any way I am excited to see them in full bloom.

Beach_Barbie, I believe that you are right about the taller ones being Zinnias. I looked them up on the net and they look just like my friends. There were about four or five different color flowers on the plants, and they too have little buds on them.

Steadycam3, the Cockscomb is the plant that I wanted when I saw it in her garden, the “prince feathers celosia” added beauty to the cockscomb. She had a couple of cockscomb standing alone and two or three “prince feather celosia” standing along, but I think when they were grouped together they looked so much nicer. I am so excited about my plants. I don’t have a yard, I only have a balcony to grow my plants. When I repotted them I was a little worried because some of them did not look so well after the repotting. However they seem to have weathered the storm and are doing much better. However I did lose a few in the process. Thanks for you encouragement.

Thanks again to all of you for all of your help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America