What's for dinner? (Part 40)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1288872/ and we're rapidly counting down the few remaining days in 2012 and preparing to usher in a new year. Anyone cooking something special for New Year's Eve or New Year's Day? I traditionally make a black-eyed pea salad but I confess I don't make greens.

Thumbnail by Terry
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year, Terry - I was planning on coming to YOUR house for NY dinner - no plans to cook anything special this year. When DH was alive, we always made black-eyed pea soup with a ham bone and diced potatoes and onions, but haven't done so in the 5 years since he passed away.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the new thread Terry!

I ended up cooking Christmas dinner at my brother's house. My sister-in-law & neice had been cooking for days (they made my dad a huge amount of frozen meals). I brought the capon and made it simply - a few lemons stuffed in the cavity & roasted. Had roasted brussel sprouts & broccoli with a squeeze of lemon, and roasted sweet potatoes. Plus a pan juice gravey with mashed potatoes. It turned out perfectly.

What a mess it was getting out of Pitts yesterday! It turn us 6 hrs to drive 150mi. (I pick up my dad in State College & the two of us go together to visit my brother & family in Pittsburgh). Fortunately is was a much easier drive today to get from State College to my home in eastern Pa. Whew!

Tam

Kay you would be welcome,but with the ugly crud we are passing around as a family, you might not want to come! Hopefully we'll be past it by the time 2013 rolls in. I'm running bedding through the sanitize cycle as we speak.

My favorite New Year's Day dinner is babyback ribs with a black-eyed pea salad...and whatever other sides sound good at the moment.

Dahlonega, GA

I don't store the paraffin jars upside down . I cover them with an aluminum foil cap to keep the dust out .
Was hungery for collards and ate them alone for dinner . Cooked them yesterday and set aside .Hit the spot tonight .

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Tonight we had beef stew, whole wheat bread and sugar cookies for dessert. Used up two more pint jars of roma tomatoes I had canned in 2011.

We didn't have enough tomatoes to can this year due to the major drought we had in the midwest. Hoping 2013 will bring an abundance of rain to fill our ponds back up and bring the ground water level up closer to where it is suppose to be.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We've been witing for some good snowfall too to bring our water tables up to where they should be. We had a miserable tomato crop too, in spite of having raised beds and watering. Bad summer. Hope springs eternal.......

Missouri City, TX

Digger,
Using the jalapeno jelly for a basting/marinade sounds great - might have to try that in place of the jalapeno wine.

Wanted to make some turkey enchiladas last night, but was too late getting home - maybe tonight.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent double-boiler, at least 2 quarts but pref. 3 qts?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

My double boiler consists of one heavy duty stock pot inside another - fill the bottom stock pot 3/4ths with water, put ingredients in smaller stock pot, set slightly smaller stock pot in bigger stock pot, bring water in bottom stock pot to a boil - eliminates the need for yet another appliance.

Dahlonega, GA

Hi , Bubba . Gosh , I'm getting behind with keeping up with my friends . Hugs to you , Momma , and Linda . Have a safe New Year

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I sort of do the same as Kay..

Larkie

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Me too, or use a bowl over a pot. Don't need any extra pans, I'm out of space.

Used a bowl over a pot for the pumpkin custard but the water/steam escaping made a mess all over the stove, much worse than my old double-boiler did.

Has anyone made balsamic marinated cipollini onions, like the ones on olive bars in the stores? I'd love to make some... they're addictive, and quite expensive at the only olive bar around here. There were 6 in what I just bought, and they rang up @ $2.88, plus tax.

Dahlonega, GA

Google the onions . Loads of recipes .

Yeah, I did that, Sally. Just wondered what anyone's personal experience was....

Dahlonega, GA

I don't know , but it sounds good to me . I check a lot of ingredients y'all talk about 'cuz I've never used them .
I have a cherry cobbler in the oven and in a few minutes , the pecan pies will go in .I send the leftovers home with the boy to take for lunch to work .I put a little Kahlua in this pecan pie ,might be good for extra flavor . It was a sample bottle and I drank the other ounce . Whooopie !

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I made a roast red pepper hummus (with roasted garlic too). Turned out really well!

Tam

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I have been cooking all day and throughout the week getting ready for a big family get together tomorrow around noon. We have not all been together in over 1 1/2 years...since my father passed away. There will be 41 people ranging in age from 68 to 6 months.

We are having a variety of soups of which I am making good old ham n beans, baked potato soup, and Italian wedding soup. I also made chicken salad, a new york cherry cheese cake, pizza rolls, apple pie, almond joy candies, peanut brittle, Russian tea cakes, biscotti dipped in chocolate, and caramels. Some of the other relatives will be bringing taco soup, chili, broccoli cheese soup, pumpkin pie, brownies, veggie and fruit tray, cheese ball and other assorted items.

We are so excited to see each other. After the death of our parents (mother 8 years ago, and father 1 1/2 years ago), we seemed to be lost.

Hope this is the start of a new beginning...guess we will be due for a big family picture.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Debs - that sounds very nice! Lots of goodies. I love a communal meal where lots of people bring their favorite dishes.
Take lots of photos and enjoy!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Deb, my dad's family has a Christmas get together and we have soups, salads and desserts. It is wonderful!

My Dad passed away 28 years ago and only one of his siblings is still alive and one ex-in-law but we still all love her. It is pretty wild that me and my cousins are the old folks.

We will be having meatloaf - son doesn't eat pork, except bacon - go figure; collards, blackeyed peas and mashed potatoes and cornbread muffins for new years. That is my Mom's tradition and I have continued it. My 28 yr old daughter had her tonsils out on the 18th but hopefully she will be up for the meal.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

One of our guests brought a fresh cranberry salsa. SO is making oven baked corn chips to go with it. The smoked turkey is ready. The lamb meatballs with Italian gravy are ready. I haven't decided on a pasta but am leaning towards primavera because I've got the right veggies, etc. in the house already. There are five and a half pounds of mussels for mussels, onions and wine. I'll garlic and toast two ciabatta to go with the mussels. The peach trifle is waiting a fresh layer of whipped cream. I decided to use fresh blueberries too and soaked the cake layers in a little apricot brandy. It's been sitting for a few days.

SIL and youngest son have gone off to bond and see "The Hobbit". SO is cutting dead trees in the yard and a guest is helping haul the wood. I've been running for days and will put my feet up and quilt for a few hours before getting busy in the kitchen.

A very happy and healthy New year to all.
Laurel

I have sorted some dried black-eyed peas to put on to soak overnight (wow, lots of bug-eaten peas in this bag of Kroger black-eyed peas). I had thought to make Hoppin'John but my sister wanted peas and rice separately. Collard greens with home-cured / smoked ham hocks are simmering. Cornbread ingredients are at the ready, along with ham steaks from the Christmas ham. Non-traditional almond shortbread cookies are in the oven. We'll eat in the early afternoon tomorrow, and I doubt I can stay awake long enough tonight to ring in the new year. Haven't done that in a few years!

Wishing everyone a healthy and prosperous New Year~

I made two double bundles of collards with home smoked ham scraps and blackeyed peas in advance for tomorrow's hop n' John. I'll make cornbread and rice tomorrow. We'll have leftover turkey with that. There will certainly be trifle left too. I'll try to remember to take a picture.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm full just reading those menus! lol We're eating light and splurging on treats w/drinks with friends tonight. Almonds, a few cheeses, crackers, hummus w/veggies & salsa w/ corn chips. A few deviled eggs and shrimp cocktail round it out with a nice selection of wines

Tam

Sounds like a fun evening to me, Tam!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Oops... had to cancel. DH came down with a stomach bug. Came on early evening.

will have to do a do-over when everyone is feeling better. Some of our guests had cancelled
due to the flu.

Tam

We braved the crowds and ran errands this afternoon, including a grocery run for tomorrow's dinner: babyback ribs and fixins. Since I had beef stock and caramelized onions in the freezer, onion soup was on tonight's menu. I also made some bruschetta-mozarella-bacon open-faced sandwiches on the side. For a soup meal, it was heavy and rich. (Note from my stomach to my eyeballs for future reference: a small ramekin of onion soup is plenty for most appetites, and more than enough for mine.)

Some frozen ready-made cheesecake is thawed and waiting in the fridge for later, if anyone gets a hankerin' for something sweet. I think Mr. Official, Middle Son and I are in for the night, although Swimmer Girl is heading out to an overnight lock-in in a couple hours. We considered going to a late movie, but the cold and rainy weather nixed it as far as I'm concerned. Happy - and safe - New Year's to one and all!

Pinch hitting for a food pick up. Getting up this early is hard after a late night.

Happy New Year!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We went over to friends' for dinner last night. I brought some of the pâté de foie gras that I purchased at the goose farm near Sarlat this fall, plus a raspberry pie from our berries. They made risotto, carrot mousse, and leg of lamb - all delicious. Tonight I have an organic chicken that I'm going to roast, but it was taking forever to thaw so I stuck it in my cooler with some brine. Should enhance the flavor, too.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy New Year!

We've been enjoying the kosher chickens I sometimes get instead of the turkey as a freebie from my supermarket around holidays. My kids were coming over for dinner last night and I wanted to roast a chicken, but the kosher bird in my freezer was small, so I pulled out a bigger organic chicken that I found on sale last month. I stuck it in the refrigerator to thaw it, but as of yesterday morning it was still rock hard. So I got out my cooler and filled it with water, kosher salt, and several shakes of herbes de Provence, and placed the chicken in that for about eight hours, until I was ready to drain and dry it before roasting it. I used Alice Waters' method - a 400° oven, twenty minutes up, twenty minutes flipped over on the breast, and the rest of the time up again, sprinkled with rosemary and thyme and rubbed with a little butter. I think it was the best chicken we've ever had. It would have been interesting to see what the organic chicken would have tasted like without brining it first, but I was amazed at how wonderful it was last night!

I really like a brined bird... always moist and tasty. I haven't had any birds (chicken, turkey, duck) but free-range/organic for 3-4 years. Makes it hard to even consider a factory bird.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Some of the tv chefs have a running disagreement about brining, one maintains that it changes the texture of the meat and makes it mushy. Not being a chef in any nuance of the word, I beg to disagree. Since I discovered brining, it's my fallback for almost any cut of meat. Personally, I think he's just being contrary to bring a little action to the program.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Now that I have my new freezer, I'll be picking up birds on sale and brining them in advance, so, when company is coming, just pull out the bird and the Showtime Rotisserie. Crispy AND juicy!

I dry-brine our own chickens before I put them in the freezer, and then when I take them out to use them I put them in the cooler with water, and they wet-brine for a number of hours until they're completely thawed. Darius, you're lucky you have a source of free-range/organic birds! Our supermarket is getting more organic meats in but you can never count on it.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

GH_G,
How do you "dry-brine," what seasoning do you use, and, how are you packaging them for the freezer?

Trying to decide if I should invest in a Food Saver system vs. the Ziplok freezer bags (double bagging)...

Thanks!

Linda

Linda, I wouldn't want to be without my FoodSaver, and have even considered adding a hand-vacuum tool to my stash in the event of power outages. (I can vac-seal dry goods in mason jars with a hand-held vac pump.)

I buy cheese in large blocks and use the FoodSaver to re-seal into smaller blocks and it keeps wonderfully in the fridge. Of course, I also vac-seal frozen meats, fruits, sauces and veggies. Mine really gets a workout.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I love my FoodSaver too!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Mine too, although it's not the Foodsaver, it's a Rival, and works the same. Does a great job. I vac seal even packages of other perishables like sandwich meats . Meat from the market that's already wrapped is also vac sealed after I punch a hole in their plastic wrap so that all the air can be removed. Some things I freeze before sealing, like breads and things that squash because the vac sealer will flatten them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images