Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Jan 2013 - Getting a jump on the New Year

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 323, Views: 1,611
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9368604

Last thread was over 300 so here's a new one to start the New Year.
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291059/

This is a quilt from the JAX Quilt Show. Perhaps it can provide some inspiration for the New Year.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9368609

WOW!!! 12 inches of the white stuff so far...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9368612

woo hoo... I'm 2nd! :-)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9368613

That is a beautiful quilt, Jean!
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9368645

So pretty :)

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

December 27, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9368753

Wow Jean that is pretty and inspirational thanks.
I am jealous Barb we got jipped on this storm just a little dust and ice coating poooey, oh well there is still Sat maybe 2 in from that one.
Cher

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9368765

Grandson Ryan sleeping in his beanbag. DIL says he hasn't slept in his bed since he got this.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9368770

12" Barb, yikes that sounds like a lot to the lady. Stay warm and inside.

Karen, how adorable that picture is...might not want to go back to his bed now.

Met some friends tonight for dinner and then saw Les Miz...WOW!!! I have seen the stage play several times and was a little apprehensive about the movie but not any more. Well worth going to see!!!! Best part, it was Thursday night special and tickets were only 6.50 each way lower than normal prices. Now I am off to bed...if I can sleep after that show.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9368773

Cher - you want MORE ice & snow?!?! Can tell you haven't lived in it much... lol
It's dangerous and hazardous... to walk and drive in!
Mind you, I wouldn't trade the snow & ice for the hurricanes and tornadoes in warmer climes!! yikes!
We can simply bundle up and Not Go Out in ice and snow... lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9368775

Les Miz was on TV the other day, but as I fall asleep during long plays/movies, I didn't chance watching it. Maybe I should check it out and see if it's on again...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9368780

Oh Karen that photo is priceless!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9368831

Thanks for the new thread Jean! Love that quilt!
Karen, that pictures is priceless!
Glad to hear you loved that movie Marion!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9368847

I think Cher just LOVES a Winter Wonderland with lots of snow. I had forgotten how pitched the roofs were way up north. Sure need to be to get the snow to slide on off.

I hope to spend most of my day out in the Studio. Have a couple tops that need quilted. And I cut & pressed a couple hundred HST for my top. Need to start sewing those together. Have 3 Murder Mysteries on CD to keep me entertained.

And it is time to pack up the Christmas wrapping paper & cards and reclaim my spare bedroom.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9368870

Starting tonight, company coming to celebrate New Years. Lots of snow for the kids this year. We have an awesome sledding hill nearby, I know it'll get a good work-out. DS and DIL are bringing friends from scouting so lots of kids. I keep a big ole bag of long johns and old hunting outfits so there is plenty of warm dry clothing for outside.

Then we are heading to Tennessee, I have beanbags for the greats down there too. I had their mom go and get the pellets for me, no room in my car otherwise.

We'll be doing some house looking while we are there. We'll have some special circumstances due to the way our buyer is wanting us to finance with him. It will take a motivated seller for it to work for all of us. Would have preferred to go looking cash in hand, but these days you have to take what you can get.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9368880

I remember years back when we took our kids skating & tobogganing - what fun! I would love to go skating again - now, just need one of those touques that wrap and wrap and wrap around my neck like a scarf!! Used to have one, when I was a young teen, that was 6ft long... with a tassel! Deep rich colours with stripes and ski-lodge theme lol
Actually, would like to go skating again, but need my knee to heal a bit more... maybe THAT's the kind of active my Dr would like me to be... don't know where the nearest skating rink is, but don't have skates anyway lol That's one sport where you don't care How bulky you look - need to be warm & protected with a snow suit for adults!!

Karen - I'm praying you find Just the right house, with Just the right financing you need...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9368929

I remember the big, old fashioned taboggans we had at GS Camp. 8-10 of us could fit on one. The person in the front got the bruised shins & the 1 or 2 in back usually fell off going down the hills. Then you had to drag it back up the hill. The Good Ol' Days!!!!

OK, think I've accomplished all I wanted inside & am now going to head out to the Studio.

Guys are supposed to be in route for working on the porch. I;m beginning to lose the bit of patience I have!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9368968

Jean - it will get done. I'm sure you have more than enough patience, from what I see of you, to wait for the guys lol
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9369127

I am having trouble...I can't get any pictures from DG! When I click on the picture I get the usual screen but no picture appears. I had no trouble several days ago but now it doesn't make any difference what thread I am on...no picture. Any suggestions?

Now that Christmas presents are done I can get back to working on my DD quilt. I really hate to applique.
I am doing it on the machine and am not liking any of the results. I also have a KING size quilt to do for DS,
following that by some bibs for the new baby. I already have a list that runs until NEXT Christmas!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9369188

Janice - have you tried right-clicking on the picture, and choosing "Save as", or "open"? Have you recently changed something on your browser (IE, Google Chrome, FireFox)?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9369189

OK Janice!! NOW that's a post I can identify with!! LOL...

We were in Tri-Cities yesterday (where my family is: Sister & husband, my kids, Dad etc...an hour away from Othello) and my 4 year old grandson "tackled" my husband when he was totally UNprepared for it. Sorry, but when you have an artifical leg and a replacement knee the last thing you need is to get pushed. BOTH of them went down, my husband is a hurting unit. I talked to my son just now and grandson is fine. I feel so bad for my husband, he's in pain and we have the studio to try and finish the small remodel on this month. We were hoping to get it DONE and rerented for the income, this will sure slow us down.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9369203

I need to get back to work but wanted to say that I got Pigma pens for Christmas and bought myself and 2 other quilters Quilt label books for Christmas. I bought fabric and I'm going to practice on a few labels. Anybody need a label?? I have several books full and I have bought 2 different KINDS of colored markers plus now have the colored pigmas. Shoot me a Dmail with information like quilt color etc, etc.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9369208

ah Pat... 4 yo GSs are so unpredictable... glad he's ok, but SO sorry your DH is a hurtin' unit!!!
I know he's forgiven your GS, but ouch!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9369218

I cringed when I read that Pat. I thought about how I would feel if I were to get pushed down right now and I don't have anything like your husband is dealing with. Thankfully my GDs are older and understand that grandma has a "sore"leg. I do, however, have trouble with the youngest girl, she likes to sit on my lap. That part is fine but a certain part of her anatomy is very "sharp" and she always manages to hit my leg just right. LOL

Quiet day here. New modem came for our internet connections so am hoping it will resolve some of our existing issues.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9369280

Oh Pat, I hope your hubby will be better soon! I know that 4 year olds can act out on a whim, and they are so quick!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9369323

so quick, and stronger than they look, too!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9369340

Sending prayers for quick healing for Ben. Hope this goes away quickly. Glad you got your pens though. I know you have wanted them for a while now...
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 28, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9369500

Well, I'm still here, still trying to keep critters warm as winter has come to Texas. Christmas was nice but icy. Sewing, Almost got that bathrobe done at 1:30 am Christmas eve, but that daughter didn't make our family gathering due to ice.

I skimmed through all the messages. MorknotMindy, my chickens have to make due with straw. And a closed coop. Wish I'd have gotten it closed earlier on Christmas, I lost one probably to the rapid weather change.

My hands are way way too full... Happy New Year!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9370177

OWIE for Ben that sucks !!! sure hope he gets felling better soon SOON give him gentle get better hugs from all of us ...LOL at least he might get a giggle from that?? LOL ♥♥♥

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9370183

lol I think he might at that, Thunder! lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9370250

I'll be sure to pass along your hugs and well-wishes. He went to HomeDepo this afternoon and waited for over an hour to get a motorized cart and discovered they were ALL in use or abandoned in the store because the battery needed charging. He would have come home without ANY of the supplies we needed but Meanie me told him to ask a clerk to "be a gopher" and get the stuff! $150 later, we have 2x2s, paint and liquid nails, now to start furring out the brick wall.

I've spent most of the day cleaning cabinets and prepping for paint.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9370265

he waited Over An Hour? I'd have been Long Gone by then... omygoodness!
Well, at least you're on your way to working on the wall, etc...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9370266

Ya, he has waited longer... he just can't walk it. It's too far.

Everything's washed and tomorrow after church I'll start spackling, sanding and priming.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9370317

Too bad we don't live closer, Pat. I'd be over to "play" with you in a minute. I finished most of my paining yesterday. Just need to do the shutters & door trim. Too chilly to paint today but should be able to finish up Mon & Tues. Hopefully the rain will hold off Wed & my handiman & I can get started on hanging the new siding. And I do need to finish the interior painting I started months ago. Just the inside of the front door & some baseboard. Prob 3 hrs work at most. Maybe I can get it finihed "this year"!!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 30, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9370318

Morning all, dropping in for quick 'hi'
Tikes it's 47 here but it's still better than snow at home..

Hope Ben is feeling better today and you get can that project done.

Made a quick trip to Sanibel Island to 3 Crafty ladies, all very Florida, ended up with a new product by the yard (new to me) which you iron on fabric..makes them waterproof, bought enough for 2 bags..then needles/patter to knit out of fabric the cutest patterns!

Heading to flea market this morning, breakfast at IHOP then to quilt lovers hangout fabric shop if the hours they post for Sunday opening is within the time frame we are in that area.. Looking for new patterns and ideas..want to pick up blackboard fabric as well..full day so off I go

Ahhh did manage last night to take my new saphire machine out of the box..who knows, might get to sew tonight

Enjoy the day
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9370321

Betty - ahhhhhhhhh, new machine!!!! It will just purrrr along. And 47 is nothing to complain about the last week of Dec!!!! Will prob be 60 tomorrow AM where you are.

Has anyone used: http://www.quiltshops.com/ Supposed to be able to locate any fabrics for sale on-line. It actually worked for a fabric I was trying to locate.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9370345

Several years ago I used fabshophop.com to find unusual fabrics I was looking for. Couldn't believe how many replies I got and on the week-end too.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 30, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9370348

Karen, meant to say just how much I loved those bean bags you made..yikes what a tremendous amount of work..makes you feel good though when you see the kids so enjoying.

Waiting for neighbor to come so we can start our day.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9370458

Thanks Betty, All the grands and greats now have one. I'm all set until the younger ones get a bit bigger and then need the larger size. The little ones are ok until they are about 4. The bigger ones are good for a long time. I am getting requests for really big ones from the young adults, I guess I'll have to work on expanding the pattern.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9370538

Just got home from Joanns. Kinda funny, I was so all about getting one of those 10% discount cards, and they wont let you combine it with any other coupon. Well heck, I would never buy anything from joanns with just 10% off, I always wait for the coupons. Receipt says I saved 237.00$, so Ill just be happy with that. Im still the most most proud of my receipt from belks the other day, when I saved 679.00. I had a line of people behind me that were all impatient, then she handed me the receipt and said how much I saved and everyone just gasped. I put a big smile on my face and off I went for some more power shopping. I only do it one day a year.
I was hoping to get some good fabric from fabric.com, but they had almost no fabric on sale, and what they did have, any that I liked showed 0 quantity. I didnt need it anyway. Since I abandoned my shopping cart, they did send me a coupon code for an extra 15% off on top, its good for two weeks, so hopefully they will put something else on sale.
Im so looking forward to a new year. I know 365 days cant ll be good, but it gives me incentive to work on myself and my house this coming year, take the elder care and health issues one day at a time. Hopefully we will all have some new and exciting things to post in the upcoming year.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9370548

I was going to go to JoAnn's today but decided to just wait till next weekend & get the 25% off. I was only going to get thread today & I have enough to last me at least 6 mo!!!!!

quiltfabriccloseouts.com is having a great 2 day sale. A lot of decent quality for $3yd. I just need some fabric to practice some quilting techniques, like feathers and other designs that I need to "think" about. I can always cut the pieces up when I'm done & put them back together as a type of "quilt as you go".
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9370578

LOL,,,Jean I like the way you think. I used the 20% off they had emailed me. I noticed a got a couple coupons in the bag, but havent checked them out yet. Today I only went for take 70% off stuff and got the last of the things I wanted. Im looking for batting to go on sale, I need something for practice practice practice.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9370628

Batting is 40% off and then the 25% next weekend!!!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9370697

Oh boy, I've just been shopping on line... I ordered some black and white fat quarters, a washable lint roller, (I'll let you know how that works...) a pendant lamp, (ditto) and a new thimble, a 14" turn table, another quilt pattern and I can't remember what else. LOL The lamp and thimble I ordered after watching a video which one of you enablers directed me to... The one about hand quilting... You know who you are... ;^) I really enjoy the quilting videos. Makes me want to stampede out of here to my 'studio' and make fabric and thread fly!! In fact I think I'll grab my new kitten, Ralph, and race over there right now!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 30, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9370705

Just got in from a day of power shopping..

Did go to north fort Myers to quilt lovers hangout and hang out I would if I lived here..lovely shop, managed to buy "square Dance" fancy quilts from plain blocks, so many patterns I'm hankering to do

Also itty bitty pinwheels using mini twister, think 1 1/2" template

Then the twisted dance square using 5" blocks, makes a 10" square for a quilt (need 20 blocks for a 59"x 71" quilt

And twists it "table runner & placemats"

Then we also stopped at Joann's for fabric..want to make Darlene a beach bag using "slickers"

Now it's coffee time and if I still have energy!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9370802

Even I caved & did some on-line shopping today. I need backing for these charity quilts so got that at quiltfabriccloseouts.com. And 2 patterns for the tube triangle method from Cozy Quilt. Like I'm not already dreaming of triangles!!!!! DH says my head is getting pointed!!!!
Homemade turkey soup & cornbread for dinner tonite.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9370841

didn't some one here say they wanted the flowers of the month fabrics?? they are on sale here...
http://www.marthasquiltingcorner.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?=&product=clearance-discount-quilting-fabrics-1
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9370843

http://www.ustream.tv/SouthwestFloridaEagleCam

As if anyone has time to sit, this is something I posted on the bird forum, but if you dont watch that forum, I had to post it here. Its a live cam of nesting eagles, Ozzie and Harriet. They have used this nest to come back to for five years now. There are two eggs and they are on hatch watch.

ps...its sleeping now, but worth a look during the day.

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 8:01 PM

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9370879

Hey, if you want a good laugh check out the 'Jokes and Humor' forum -- Christmas with Louise

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9370912

THUNDER!!! Stop that!! I say STOP that!!! some of the fabric is calling my name loud and clear!! That "shades of the season" and "tossed leaves" are sooooo pretty!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9371356

:( sorry butttttt when I saw those flowers...I remembered somebody saying they wanted some...

I think I have some of those leaves, and mine were around $9 something a yard...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9371381

Ya, it was me!! hehehe... I LOVE them but I will be strong!!!

YES the leaf fabric is sooooooo beautiful but I have PLENTY of UFO's and do not need to add to the mess and storage!!

I got all the Christmas stuff down and hauled out to the shed. We have 3 more boxes this year than last, DARN. I had to buy a new tree this year and I bent the branches etc and slipped the old one into the corner of the porch and decorated it with snowmen and snowflakes. Between that and all the Christmas stuff my friend gave me (over 10 boxes!! more than 15 new garlands, 6 wreaths and BOXES of silk flowers) it's a wonder I kept the net gain at only 3 boxes!! I gave my Stepdaughter first dibs on the Christmas stuff and she kept most of it. I kept the red/ & gold silk flowers and decorated the tree with it this year, the rest I passed on to a young woman to sell.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9371392

yes you can be strong !!! sorry i sent extra temptation...

darling son just came in and taught me how to answer my phone !!! have to slide finger across button...not just touch it...

how is Ben, give him some more gentle hugs...and then tell him to give you a big squisshie one for me...

I am going to go cut some scraps now...after I pick up the remnants of the last few projects...oh wait...some can be cut for scraps!!!

♥♥♥

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 31, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9371407

lol Thunder - like me, you wanted to just touch the "touch screen"... the "slide" thing can be tres annoying! Think I have it now, but need to "slide" 3 or 4 times... siiiiigh

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9371500

Betty I got your card today with the little Twister template, thanks so much. I'm think wreaths made with this would work out well on a tree skirt.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9371603

Susan - I've just "met" another quilter from Calgary. She lives outside of Calgary to the east. Half way between Indus and Langdon. Is that anywhere near you? She is currently down here in FL appreciating the nice weather we are having.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 31, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9371782

1/2 way between Indus & Langdon? hmmmm will need to Google that, Jean.
If you see her, tell her I live near Deerfoot & 16 Ave NE - she'll know, cuz it's a main drag!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 31, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9371786

Apparently your quilting friend is 1/2 hr drive from downtown Calgary, and we're closer to her than that

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9371787

I dragged out all my fabric this weekend to try to organize it, HA! what was I thinking? It is now in bins but I'm not sure its any better than it was before. Oh well, it did refresh my memory of what I have.

I resolve not to buy any more fabric unless it is absolutely needed to complete a project...that gives me some leeway, lol.

Happy New Year to everyone and here's to a new quilting year.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9371808

Happy New Year to all my very dear friends.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9371810

A Very Happy and Safe New Year to Everyone!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9371813

Happy New Year everyone!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9371819

Yes indeed...a very happy new year to all.

Dogs going crazy over all the early fireworks.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9371866

Ya Robin I hear ya. You have the right idea, at least you have looked at and ooh & aww'd over all your fabric again. Refreshed your memory and got to smile about forgotten purchases that you love now as much as then!!

I had some of my black fabric in a clear plastic bin and I got sun fade. I've about used it all up now, working around the fade. Sure ticked me off when I first saw it!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 31, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9371967

Happy New Year to all my dear and loved friends! Thank you for being a part of my life (a big part)!
With the Lord's help, we will become more a part of each other's lives and cherish each day together.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9372029

Good morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. Have a smile on my face that this year is going to be so much better than last. Hopefully so much less Dr visits!!!! And lots more sewing!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9372046

Barb - how deep is the snow???

I need to undecorate. Do it a bit at a time so it's not so bad. The tree is always up till the last.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9372080

Happy New Year to you all!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 1, 2013

Post #9372188

Happy New Year everyone..

Quiet day here, will head to the beach then pick up Chinese food for supper.

Meanwhile I have a Christmas table runner ready to quilt to try the sewing machine out before I head north with it...it can either be a belated gift for someone or my first piece set aside for Christmas. Lol

Either one will be fine..just needed a trial piece.

Enjoy the day..

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9372200

So many nice thoughts floating roun here today. We will keep this up another 364 days.

Happy healthy new Year.

This chest colappse was a dusy, coming out of it. Would like to organize my sewing room and fabrics, perhaps start the vintage motor cycle quilt for my SIL to cover his Scarlet (vintage Harley) as they care coming soon for my BD. Yeah I think this has to be next. No Pattern so a challenge.

ith these sewing machines... I am finding out that one needs at least 3 different (new) kinds to make me happy with the applications I would want. Or just be a Geenie and wiggle the nose.Done.Betty are you plannint to come to Sarasota at all?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9372265

Yesterday I got the prep done on the kitchen cabinets and walls in the studio. I got the first coat of paint/primer on the cabinets, except the under the overhead cabinets. I went in this morning and see the necessary touch up plus undercabinet. I hope to get at least the primer on the walls. Before I can do that DH has to furr out and put up a bead board wall, it's less than 8 feet wide. There is molding that needs to come down (to be replaced).

I got help yesterday for a few minutes from a teen friend. DH's shoulder was not up to helping me carry the dresser, box springs and mattress out of the studio. It's all stacked against my dining room wall.

I don't know if it's avoidance (of the studio work) but what I REALLY feel like doing is dejunking!! We decided to get rid of an old trunk I was using for an end table. I figured if what I had in there had not been used in almost 2 years, it could NOT possibly be worth keeping, right? Wrong... I had LOTS of my old essays and National exam prep work, some professional resources. I had to hand sort everything, and shred, shred, shred... yuk. A box to go to the 2nd hand book store for credit (I hope), stuff to reorganize and find a place for in book shelves at work and few things that my DH will have to find room for. The size of his French and Spanish dictionarys!! HOLY COW!

LOTS to get done, I'll check back in with you lovely people later today. Happy NEW YEAR!! May it be a happy and healthy one for all!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 1, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9372349

Happy New Year!!
Ham/scalloped potatoes/green beans/Christmas pudding with rum sauce - two friends coming for dinner.

Pat - I'll just bet the dictionaries are HUGE! Let your DH lift them lol
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9372450

Pat - what type of paint are you using on the cabinets? I'm going to be painting mine in a month or so. They are wood but now painted white. Figure I can sand a bit & then paint.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9372511

Momma said be careful what you save for the first of the year, you'll be doing this for the rest of the year.

Pat, Pat what happened with this refurbishing flurry - are we doing second nuptials or something or something.?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9372534

No, our renter of the studio moved out mid-December and we want to get some more work done before we put it up for rental again.

I'm using semi-gloss enamel, latex based for the cabinets. I HATE oil base, it works better, but I hate the clean up.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 1, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9372680

Everyone sounds like they put in a full day.

I finished a Christmas runner, enjoyed the new machine so guess home it comes..now I have to find a post office and send out as a belated Christmas present..

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 1, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9372883

well got about 8 inches that is pretty good it looks real pretty. Oh no Susan I have lived here all my 44 years and I just love snow. It always feels like it cleans things up and gets rid of colds and things like that. Oh I do know the hazards as well. I have had my share of falls and fender benders too. I do not like ice at all that is nasty stuff.
Dad had to be taken to the hospital the night of the storm he passed out from not eating. He just finished a year of intense chemo and they took him off a lot of things but still taking a smaller dose of chemo. Now he is not feeling too good everything he eats goes through him so he doesn't eat much at all well it caught up to him for sure. But he went home yesterday and he is doing better.

Cher

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 2, 2013
12:16 AM

Post #9372905

ooooooooh no, your poor dad!! So sorry to hear he's not doing well...well, better now, but still not too good. Did they give him IV?
Cher - I've felt the same way about snow - cleans things up, and quietens everything so it's so peaceful. As we get SO much snow, I don't like it as much. I moved to Calgary cuz it gets less than Winnipeg (more temperate), but now it seems we get more than we used to... We do in Calgary, and Winnipeg gets more than they used to as well.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2013
2:07 AM

Post #9372914

Pat should not have been snippy. Tenants and Toilets pain in the butt. I had many. What a pain in the butt, does help in the till.

Betty can't you wait and take it with you when you drive your friend home again. Shipping cost is soooo $$$$.

Cher and Susan> Snow does make things clean looking, May kids DH and I skied Vermont, NH. Lived in Brewster NY then had 2 acres and the winter actitivities in back of the house were endless. Summer House in New Milford CT. no running water but we'd use the house for ice skating on CaNdlewood Lake, tobaggoning, from house to the lake.Winter was as much fun as summers with the lake around the corner. Now I live in a perpetual
74 degrees.

Sorry about your pop, cancer too is a pain in the butt. + so degrading
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9372939

Or Betty can leave it all with me for "safe keeping"!!!!!!

Made some new quilting friends at the LQS yesterday. Took my completed top & helped the owner sell some patterns & rulers.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9372945

Which top did you take in Jean?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9372953

Sorry to hear about your Dad Cher, please know we are speeding prayers for a speedy recovery!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 2, 2013

Post #9372996

Morning all

Sunshine here, outside having coffee and playing lady of leisure.

Shortly have to get my act into gear and go mail the runner I did yesterday to Mexico..betterlatethan never! Going to call Joann's and speak with husqvarna dealer, gotta points are and you haveto use it within the month, think I have $30 worth of buying power if it's registered yet..could buy a sewing foot I guess
Will call and have it checked.

I will not be flying home, met the loveliest lady across the street, she had rented for month of December and lives in Bracebridge, about 50 miles north of me. She is driving home tomorrow and as she is alone I will travel with her. Don't know if imade the decision to do so to keep her company or get my my machine home. Lol

Sure hoping your dad Cher can get into a routine both eating and meds and will be on the road to recovery.

Happy sewing day you all
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9373013

Barb - the pattern is Intertwined from Cozy Quilt Designs. Just an all over scrappy in blues, greens, and some gold thrown in. I'll get a pic posted soon.

Just walked 3 mi - New Year off to a good start.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9373050

I was wondering if any of you all used or had tried a Magic Jack. With all the taxes and what not, having a land line is getting to be more than I can stand. I mainly use a cell, but have always wanted a land line for emergency purposes.

3 miles, wow. Puts me to shame, I only did 30 minutes on the bike. 30 more minutes than I did all of last year tho ;-o

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9373099

resulotions #1 will resume laps didn't do any at all last year. Used to swim a mile every 2nd day. We have heated pools, of course coming out is a chiller, Please push me out there.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9373223

I am getting my son Shanes' quilt back from the quilter tonight! I can't wait to see it! Thank you Jean for giving me her name. :^)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9373251

Hope she did a good job. I know a couple of my former customers are happy with her work.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 2, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9373277

Anxious to see your quilted piece..always exciting isn't it.

I quilted a runner just to see how the machine worked, didn't like the tin sound so took a ride to Joann's, lucky I did because the girl in her haste on Christmas eve gave me the incorrect foot.

Hoping I'm in business now. Did buy a book from dealer with what additional sewing foot I can use, their purpose and which ones are for my machine..Lordy, not cheap are they..

Have everything boxed up and ready for home. Did buy 2 yards of fabric to cut into 1" strips to knit a bag while Patti drives..see how I like the finished product.

And as I think July 1st and swaps I bought different fabric to make something as its difficult to find in Canada..

Wouldn't you know I saw 3 new quilting magazines and just had to have them.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9373326

Yep, quilting magazines can be an addiction!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 2, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9373470

lol yes Betty - you could always leave your NEW sewing machine with Jean - "for safe keeping" LOL She'd made sure it was well maintained... and Used!! lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9373702

LOL... safekeeping of a NEW sewing machine!! OH yeah, send me someone I can "help"!! Nice to hear you get a traveling companion Betty.

Helene, heated pool... sounds good!!

Cher, I hope you can find something that is easy to eat that your Dad will tolerate and EAT! or drink? I drink a Premier Protein drink every morning for breakfast 30gram of protein and only 160 calories. I realize you are not trying to keep his calorie count down but this is good nutrition.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9373987

Has anyone heard from Marion, and I missed it.
Between the knee and her Mom, I hope she is hanging in there.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9374002

I have not heard from Marion, she is probably down south with her Mom and Sister?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 3, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9374513

Worried about Marion, not like her to not update!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9374527

She has a very hard time getting a connection when she is at her sisters...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 3, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9374535

Thanks for the update Thunder..was in your neck of the woods this morning, waved, did you see me?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9374537

thought I felt some extra love in the air... ♥♥♥

wishing you continuing safe travels.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9374585

Where are you at Betty, have you stopped for the night?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 3, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9374657

Yes, we settled in at 5:00 after putting in 700 miles. Would say that we will be in Tennessee after a 1/2 hr drive tomorrow morning. Hoping to get a 6am start in the morning.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9374746

We're heading down to TN tomorrow so will probably pass you along the way Betty. Safe travels to you.

BTW, We made a pattern to make a tree skirt with large (about 30" each petal to make a 60" skirt) petals. There will be 10 petals. I plan to put a Dresden plate (from the swap) on each one. It occurs to me that I could also use the same pattern and put wreaths made with the twister pattern. I could use the greens that I got in the 5" square swap. In each case the background petals would be in a solid Christmas color. Let me know if you would like the petal pattern.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9374792

I'd like to see the pictures of your project, it sounds beautiful.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9374965

Happy Birthday Qwilter/Jean! Hope you have a great day doing what you want to do!

Thumbnail by taters55

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9374980

Oh, I LOVE my cake!!!!!

I don't feel nearly my age so am feeling pretty good today.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9375052

You sure as heck don't look it either my friend. Hope today is all you would like it to be and that you enjoy it immensely!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9375129

Happy Birthday again, Jean!

Here are a few photos of the second finished sham. I see a loose stitch needs fixing in one of the photos. One more to go. There was not enough time to prepare another quilt quarter to frame up before leaving Atlanta so I brought up an old reverse applique and quilt project to work on for a few days.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9375164

Happy Birthday Jean...have a great day.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9375196

Have a great day, Jean! Happy Birthday!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9375296

"Happy Birthday Jean"
It’s the journey that counts not the destination.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9375335

Jean, hope you have a happy sewing day and a BIG piece of Birthday cake!!! Did you know that Neil Diamond has a birthday this month also? Really cool people have birthdays in January... I got a card from my cousin that suggested I not count the candles on the cake, just count the cats in your house! Yay! I'm only 5!!!!! Enjoy your day whatever you do.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9375405

Spent the day helping the handi-man replace the rotting siding on the studio with a hardi-board siding. No sun and it's cooler now than it was at 6AM. I'm quite chilled. We got 1/2 the studio done. Hoping for nice weather early next week so we can get it finished. Removing the old stuff is what takes forever.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9375409

happy bday Jean!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9375574

Very nice quilting Laurel!! That really is pretty and I love the quilting pattern you chose.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9375594

Happy Birthday Jean I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 4, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9375662

Happy Birthday, Jean!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 4, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9375683

Happy birthday Jean..

Yes Karen, would love it...have some patterns to send your way as well

Dmail me your email addy and I will scan and send them your way!

Just west of Erie Penn. will drive to Buffalo, stop at a few fabric shops and likely home by just after lunch hour

Falling asleep, we did another 700 miles today.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 4, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9375880

Happy Bday Jean!!!!!
Well Dad is ok now he is taking ensure and eating if it goes thru him or not. arrgh
Now my poor Mom had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago they told her it was benign but they want her to meet with an oncologist and take tamoxafin for 5 years!!!! that doesn't sound benign to me. Wow I guess we are never ready for this stage of life but for me my Dad has been sick since he was 35 and I am now 44 I am just so tired God forgive me of this stuff. I am helpless to do anything for them yet have been in the medical field for 30 plus years and when I tell them something they poo poo it until the Drs. repeat exactly what I say then I get oh you should have been a nurse or you should have been a Dr. Sorry I am blah blah blahring I feel for you Marion with all you have been throgh with Mom it is so hard at least you have a Sister that understands how tough it is I have a younger brother who just can't help me if the world was going to explode.
Well Happy New Year righ???? aaaaarrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Cher
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9375932

Good Morning all & thank you all for all the B-day wishes. Had a nice day yesterday. Spent most of it out in the chilly, dreary, windy day putting siding on the studio. Did not realize how chilled I was till DH asked why my face was flushed. It wasn't flushed but wind burned. And the hot shower felt wonderful, Went to dinner at a local place that advertises "all you can eat fried shrimp" for $14. I was expecting the plate with a doz shrimp and then having to keep asking for refills. They brought the 1st plate out & I wondered how I could ever eat more. But, i did. The 2nd plate contained a normal serving size...as did the 3rd, which I could barely finish!!!!! And then the waiter tried to give me another plate which I declined.

DH is determined to move me into the current century & got me an iPod Touch. So I stayed up way past my bedtime trying to figure out how to use it. I did set up an iCloud email account & took a couple pics of the cats. I have to admit the camera takes awesome pics.

And, I was contacted by one of the local guilds to come & give a talk on how I go about designing patterns & copyright laws. I was thrilled to be asked & then they mentioned they will PAY me to come!!!!! That is set up for April so I have time to come up with what I'm going to present.

So, has been an exciting start to 2013...

Cher - keep your chin up & remember to make time for yourself. We are never handed more than we are able to juggle; sometimes we just need to find a new way of juggling.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9375984

Or we need to borrow about six more arms!!!! It seems we talk to deaf ears when the one we are talking to doesn't want to listen. But I find it fulfilling when they finally see the light and things go better for them. I'll keep your Mom and Dad in my prayers Cher and both Norm and I thank you for your kind offer of help. I'm glad the weather here is going to warm up a tad so house/apt viewing won't be more of a pain than it is anyway!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9375995

♥♥♥ hugs Cher
WOW that is great Jean, congrats.
Happy Hunting Barb and Norm

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9376016

for Pam.
second one is made out of camo pants from my #1 son, when he was little. Made the Monkeys for Malena. She loves them. going to make her one more "girly", and my # 3 son, and one of his friends wants one.

and we do a stuffed critter thing for charity groups, on another thread, thought I would do a few for that.

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9376104

Cher, sorry to hear about your Mom and Dad, will keep them in my prayers as well!
Jean, sounds like you were busy yesterday, and to get a paid job teaching things about quilting! :-)
Love those monkeys Thunder!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9376110

Thunder, you have a true gift! Your work is always so dead spot on, they are really wonderful!

Jean, how much fun to get paid to do a presentation that will be FUN to do!!! YOU rock girl!

Barb, reading your post about "falling on deaf ears" was very timely for me. You know, I generally ASK my clients if they would like a suggestion etc, and wait for the invite. If they don't say, "yes, please tell me", I don't say anything. THAT generally works REALLY well. They are now in a position to hear what I have to say or they have in essense told me they don't REALLY want to cure the problem, they just want a place to whine. I generally ask people how much work they are willing to go to in order to feel better and taylor the intervention to fit their level of committment. My Co-workers have frequently asked how come I can get my clients to READ the books I suggest!

Cher, you know, I'm sure even medical doctors have that SAME problem with their own families!! LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 5, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9376425

wow Jean - how really, really rewarding to do for fun something you'll get paid for!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9376511

The bigger kids aren't the only ones to sleep in their beanbags. Amelia thinks hers is pretty cozy too.

Thumbnail by siliolegma   Thumbnail by siliolegma         

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9376556

they are just so precious! Maybe one day I'll have a housefull...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 5, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9376568

hmmmmmmm just got an idea for a bean bag chair for the kid's room at church... :-)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9376623

Just make sure the zipper isn't too easy to work. Maybe even take a few stitches just under the pull. An unzipped beanbag is a bad thing. I make sure when I put then together that the inner bag zipper is on the opposite side from the outer zipper.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 5, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9376630

What a good idea, Karen! Never thought of that... but little fingers would... They're a lot smarter than we are, for sure - and quicker too!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9376952

So adorable Karen. She is growing fast isn't she? Great suggestions about the zippers too...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9377001

Absolutely precious Karen!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 6, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9377173

Thank you all for your prayers it is so appreciated.
Jean you are so right about not getting more than we can juggle and I do believe that to be true. Sometimes I just get weary of the constant worrying about everyone but I will get over it and move on. Thank you.
Barb and Pat I too loved your words of wisdom Thank you.
Thunder OMG I love the monkeys those are Fantastic.
Jean that is soooo wonderful getting paid to do what you love I can only dream congrats I am so happy for you.
Karen look at those babies they just love the bean bags Wow soooo cute.
Hi Janice good to see you it has been a long time. How have you been?
Cher

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 6, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9377743

Well I have been a crochet nut for the past few months. I was home for 18 days and I had one to do what I wanted for myself before I go back to work on Tues.
I had a ball today with this. My new Mondo bag...

Thumbnail by cheriffic

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 6, 2013
9:27 PM

Post #9377744

That one was blurry

Thumbnail by cheriffic

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9377804

What a great job Cher. I love how bright and cheery it is!!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9377844

Cher, that turned out beautiful!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9377853

Its great, just great. That would have taken me a month to finish, and the 'jewlery' and hearts just make it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9377878

Adorable..love the bright colors as well.

Decided to make this quilt. the 3 inside runners with the morning glories will be handpainted then I shall match the fabric to colors I've painted, am hoping it will work. Brought the runners in so I can mark out the pattern then tomorrow I'll start painting. Might mean another trip over the border to Joanns lol

In between I'm knitting a purse from 1" strips of fabric..anybody already make one?? trying to determine how you sew the sides, with fabric or thread?? will line it

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9377924

Love that blue and white quilt Betty, can't wait to see your fabric painting. What kind of paints do you use?
The 2nd picture is dark, hard to see what it is.
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9377942

Hi, all. I'm new here.
Gardenglory: I just checked the eaglecam and got to see the chicks. Sooo cool! Made my day!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9377971

Hello JoannCooper. Welcome to the group...we sew, we quilt, we laugh, we cry and most of all we are all friends. Glad you are here.

Cher, love the bag, especially the bright colors. Sending you a huge hug for all you are dealing with and so wish I could help. Sadly the situation here is not quite as it seems. Yes, I do (did until knee injury) go down and help with my mom often but my sister actually thinks I should move down there full time. Can't leave my home and do that, so you see in her eyes I am not really doing all I should. I do what I can, when I can now. I so hope things are better for your family and certainly much better for you.

Love the monkeys Thunder!!!

Betty, you are unbelievable with what you do!!! I am exhausted just reading about every thing.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9377972

They are getting so cute. It has been a joy to watch. Glad you liked it.

Welcome to the quilting group. Hope you join us often. I tend to like to buy fabric and patterns and magazines, and dream, but there are some really great quilters here of all levels. Its a fun group and Ive learned so so much, about quilting, and sometimes just getting thru life.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013

Post #9377982

Joann, WELCOME! We hope you will become a regular, visit and contribute, let us get to know you.

Betty I LOVE that morning glory and would love to be able to do something like that but I know it's not even a project to put on my radar, it is NEVER going to happen!!!

Marion, I'm sorry that your "best" is not being deemed "good enough", that never feels good. I think we've all experienced that at some point in life. When I'm really clear with myself that I have given my best effort, I generally can be Ok with the results and even other people's judgement. Your sister already lives there. She may not have actually thought thru what she is asking of you.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9377993

Thanks Pat. Actually I think a huge part of the problem is that my sister has never moved away from there. Has always lived with in a mile of mom and dad. Mom did all the cooking, did her laundry and had dinner ready when she would return from work each day. It wasn't until mom got down and entered into the nursing home that my sister had to be responsible for things. Sad as it sounds, it happened. I think she is scared deep down. There is no one there now and she is going through this self searching issue of "what happens when..."
I could be way off base.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9378007

It is a hard thing to do, to commit yourself to taking care of your aging parents. It is not an easy job for anyone to do! It is very stressful.

Welcome JoannCooper, nice to have you pop in and say hello. I do hope you will stay awhile and tell us about yourself? My name is Linda, I live in Texas, and like everyone else here, love to quilt and sew and craft.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9378022

Welcome Joann, I'm Betty, like to dabble with painting, stained glass and sewing, never master any of them but I sure enjoy trying.

Away from the office for 2 1/2 weeks, took me all of 3 hrs. to get caught up now I can take my strips out and get the morning glories put on..

LindaKay, I use my regular acrylics, pure pigment though for brighter colors and mix textile medium in with it..I shall wash each of the strips to make sure there is no bleeding, not likely as I have painted clothing before and never dulls

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9378076

Joann, do NOT believe Betty when she says "she dabbles and never masters any of them", SHE IS AWESOME!!!

My name is Pat, I work in mental health as a therapist and part of my job in this rural area, is to do the crisis work. I am one of 4 in the county that gets the call to assist with sucidial people or other mental health crisises. I am On-Call for 24 hours a day, one or more days a week in addition to regularly scheduled counseling sessions. Sometimes I have to cancel my scheduled appointments and do the crisis work. Right now, we are short handed again. My boss has been off for 2 weeks and has ONE more week off to a training. Another co-worker is gone to a week long training. That leaves one other worker and I to cover 24 x 7. I was On-call over the weekend, I'm out of the office today and home.

I'm not much of a "quilter" I am more of a "block collector" but I've recently taken some online classes in an effort to learn how to quilt on my regular sewing machine. I used to LOVE crafts but with my schedule do not get to much of that any more.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9378077

Make sure you post pictures of how you do it! I know it will come out beautiful!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9378099

Hi Joann, my name is Karen, I live in northern Michigan but am trying to move to TN as soon as possible. I've 15 grands and 9 greats that keep me busy at my machine. I used to sew a lot of clothing but now I make mostly quilts and quilted Christmas tree skirts.

This is a great group, We all help and encourage each other in sewing and life too.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9378180

*wink* with a little enabling with the broadcastng of sales and nifty online sites! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9378199

drats, have my strips marked and I didn't bring in paints
only thing to do is watch movies...hard day at the office!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9378271

ROFLOL, hard day indeed Betty. I should have such a job.

Well Joann, my name is Marion and I live in Havana. Florida that is, not Cuba. I am a fabriholic, block collector, fabric store junkie, and grandmother to 2 adorable girls. Yeap, every grandmother thinks hers are the most adorable...right Karen, Kathy? I love anything to do with sewing, quilting and some other crafts. This is one fantastic group of people who so willingly share their knowledge and talents with all of us. They are my "internet" friends, confidants, moral boosters and in short...my extended family. Hope we will see more of you.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9378345

Good afternoon, everyone! I think I've caught up on most of the chatter.. but I'm sure I probably missed something/someone! Yes, Marion, we like to think our gbabies are the most adorable, but truth is - I fall in love with all babies, even ones on FB from people I used to game with, but don't know personally. Guess I'm just a softie.LOL

Looks like we have a new visitor? Hello, Joann! Always nice to meet new friends! I'm Kathy/Kiz, originally a Hoosier, but transplanted into a Buckeye when I married my high school sweetheart in 2008. I love to cook/bake/garden and these ladies got me interested in quilting, although I've sewn clothes and such all my life.
We have swaps, charity projects, something going on here most of the time. We welcome all levels and perceptions, and like new ideas for our swaps. Some us are quilt-a-holics, some of us would like to be... and some of us just like to visit here, as we do have some interesting conversations about all sorts of stuff!
Welcome!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9378413

OHHH Cher !! that bag is fantastic!!! I love the design, the shape the colors!!! It is just totally AWESOME :-)

Hi Joann, I am thunder. I quilt, I have been sewing / quilting for as long as I can remember. I dabble in beadwork, and a few other crafts here and there...Betty is our resident expert.. Yes she is awesome...
I live in central Florida. I have 3 sons, 1 daughter in law , and 1 grand daughter, and one half grand child!! yes I said 1/2 new baby due in may !!

sure hope you came back and visit again, It is always wonderful to make new friends...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9378470

Pardon me Thunder, I come here for everyones input and ideas and feed on them..you all are what keeps me motivated..

Here I am asking for your (all) opinion, you saw the photo of the quilt I am attempting, it's a wall hanging but I'm making it a double sized quilt,
well I jumped for joy when I went looking in my stash..pardon me for forgetting who the lovely lady was who sent me a box filled with matching fabric (hanging my head in shame) now remember, it was many/many years ago that I received it and I'm not as young as I once was and memory is failing me lol! Now I'm off track and you are shaking your head..

Anyway, the quilt in the magazine is done in soft pastels, I'm about to pick colors of paint (many to pick from) to do a sample of a morning glory, want to see if it bleeds before I start the strips..

These are the most gorgeous of prints that were in the box, all color co-ordinated, wonder if they are too bright or if I should put them back in their box and wait until a perfect project comes to mind... your thoughts

You know how you have a room full of fabric and you want to start a project and don't have the right one???

Guess who has a room full of paint and no fabric medium, only bottle I have has dried up..guess my project will have to wait until tomorrow to start...drats and more drats

Don't you just hate it when you are gung ho to start something and you can't..already in jammies, not about to take a run to the store...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9378471

Hi Joann, I'm Barb from up north here in New Hampshire. I quilt and crossstitch and right now am in the middle of packing up our home. We are looking to downsize a bit...You won't find a more gracious and welcoming group anywhere... Wonderful ladies and occasionally our friend Stu. Hope you come back often...
Edited to add: Betty is showing a true picture of her paints!!! I saw them and used them when I visited her. And the best thing is that she knows how to use them!!!!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2013 6:48 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9378492

Betty, I don't think you have enough paints! LOL!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9378510

Actually if I did LindaKay I could be painting this evening!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9378522

OMG Betty!!! I don't think you have enough paints!! LOL
I am always amazed at the wonderful things you all make even tho I don't usually say so. It is so great that we have a place here on Dave's to share what we are doing and ask advise about almost anything. Some one recently asked about how to make chicken saddles!! I had never heard of such a thing but, sure enough some one came thru for her. I wonder how she is doing with the saddles? Any way, I am very glad to be a part of this bunch of enablers. Thank you all.
Hi Joann, I'm Gloria (not Mindy) from Arizona, born and bred nearly 72 years ago. Oracle is a small town, about 5,000 people, and probably that many horses. It's about 30 miles NE of Tucson. I've been making quilts for a while and I am always leaning something new or how to do something better. I have one son, who lives less than a mile from me, and a 13 year old grandaughter, and a wonderful DIL. My husband and I do not live together, about 9 years now, but we talk on the phone everyday. He lives about 3 miles away. I have 5 cats, last one is about 3 mo. old and ready for a trip to the vet. I do a bit of tatting when the mood hits, but I'm usually at my " studio" playing with fabric. I enjoy cross stitch also. So welcome and come back soon, ya hear!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9378544

yea Betty... I think you need some more paint !!! LOL sorry I could not help it... :) I like the painting, is it a Loon??

I think all of those colors would be wonderful in that morning glory quilt.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9378560

My thought exactly thunder.

Seeing all that sure makes me feel better about the little fabric delivery today. ;-o

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9378718

Barb, I like the fabric choices. That's my 2 cents. My jaw DROPPED at the paints selection!! HOLY cow!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9378722

Hi Joann! Welcome!! My name is Susan, and I live in Calgary, Canada.
Yes, Betty's the busiest at crafts (including stained glass), and the quietest at work LOL

Those colours would be great in a morning glory quilt!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9378949

I wanted to show you what I have done with one of the fabrics that Thunder sent me as part of a Christmas swap. First ones of the new year...
And the fun puzzle Norm got me too!!!!
Off to watch our youngest granddaughters in their gymnastics classes today. Should be fun!!!!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr         

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9378963

Have fun!

Could someone post the directions for that crayon bag again. I saw a pattern yesterday, but it closed up and wasnt big enough for a book, just a pad. It was harder than this one too. Those are just perfect.

Love puzzles, dogs tails and puzzle dont mix tho, so I do them on the computer...not the same tho. Is that the box top or did you already do that whole puzzle??

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9378968

wow Barb, you have indeed been busy, enjoy puzzles but its been ions since I've done one..will you set on wood/glue and put a finish on it..might be something nice to hang when you get that new quilt room..love the bags..always nice to make something out of the fabric that's been given to you.

Sure know I've enjoyed using up the fabric you gave me when you visited!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9378975

These are the bags that I make for the Children's Cancer Center which is in the same building where Norm gets his treatments. I need to write out directions as this is my own pattern. I'll try to do it tonight or tomorrow morning.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9378984

Barb, those bags are so cute, the kids will love them! Love that puzzle too!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9379020

OOHHH Barb, the bags are Wonderful . :-) should I send you some more of that fabric ?? would be glad to contribute to your charitable cause :) I believe I saw some of the hand-prints one also.??

the pattern would be great to have, I could do one for all of my nieces, and of course the GD. is that a Dianne Phalen puzzle? sure looks like something she would do.

Hey Doc, Dave thought I had a lot of paint...then I showed him Betty's...he promised not to grumble about mine any more :) Have also shown him some fabric stash photos, he was quite surprised !!! hoping Ben is feeling better today, give him some more gentle hugs ♥♥♥

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9379029

He was tired and his legs gave out yesterday, he didn't fall but "sat down". He's brother is coming to work with him today.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9379040

Lol Thunder, I should take photo's of my woodworking room, have more electrical saws and equipment than most men, then he could tell you not to complain when he buys tools...tit for tat. Lol

Barb, wouldn't mind pattern as well, have some little tikes who would love it..I made the apron that has the crayon slots that I made but Thea matching bag would be awesome as a gift

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9379091

Betty, I own more wood tools that he does ... last few he bought were for me. I used to do craft fairs, home parties with wood stuff. wished I'd known Judy was going to get into it, I could have sent home with her many, many patterns, and could have given her a great deal on some tools...she could have filled up the van.

time to clean the cupboard...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9379117

Seeing Betty is short on paints I think we should take up a collection to add the ones that are essential to completing her new project. We wouldn't want her to be missing any, now would we? LOL Ah, Betty, the fabric collection happens to have come from Florida, northern part of state, and I am so glad you are able to use them in a project. :-)

Not moving very fast today...feel achy and so hoping I am not getting sick.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 1:07 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9379134

Well Im barely moving and dont have a bum knee. Went out to do a few things in the yard, did not realize I had literally 1000 things to do. I
dont even know where to begin, Limbs and sticks everywhere. Potato vines grabing my legs and making me keep falling, scratching me all up to walk thru them. All I wanted to do was prune the oak leaf hydrangea. Im so sore...so so sore. This is embarassing. Im just going to have to set aside some time every day and just do what I can. It got so hot and humid I had to come in. I refuse to give in to old age at this point, gotta get with it.
For now, cutting some more scraps, I dont have to think to much to do that.

Marion..sure hope your not getting sick, you dont need that...well who does ;-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9379186

Aha, Marion, mystery solved, so you were the one who sent me that lovely pre-packaged box of fabric I had meant to put the name of sender into the box and thought I had so this quilt will be on you!..thrilled to have gotten them, more thrilled that I can probably do this quilt without having to purchase fabric..now wouldn't that be something..that rarely happens, usually I'm picking something I have to purchase.

Matched paints to fabric this morning, brought in a yellow and oops it's dry, so donation of paints appreciated..lol NOT

Just got organized, had to buy a hoop and started base coating my first morning glory and a few leaves..will come alive when I highlight and shade..will be fun..no bleeding!

I think Thunder I may have patterns as well, know I've lots of scroll patterns as well as books to do pictures etc. will have to go insearch of them and get some to Judy, know she always has time for scroll saw work. (grin)

Gardenglory, smart lady realizing some of the garden work is just too much for you..small amounts a day will get you further than doing it all in a few days and hurting yourself.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9379212

Glad I could remember I had sent the pack of fat quarters to you. Memory is shot also. Can't wait to see the finished project Betty.

Pam, if I could send you some of our weather...70s but very nice outside...humidity isn't bad. I did walk around a bit looking at things but then it was back inside...knee not up to much wandering...er bending as I am prone to do when I go out.

Back to my machine. I need to work on a baby quilt for a friend of Kims.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9379222

Glad you did remember Marion, my apology for not!!!

I keep meaning to have a book that I keep who sent me what in swaps, maybe this is a good lesson to start keep track.

Decided 'watching' paint dry takes too long, what I shall do tonight is stop at Walmart and buy 2 more hoops and that way I can paint on each while the other dries and that way it shall not take me forever.

Will leave the strips here at work and start working on the other panels at home that way both should be done at approximately the same time. IF and only if it turns out ok I'll make a second one and that way both DIL's will have same..can't do for one and not the other!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9379263

I used to staple a little label of the name in the corner of my fabric. That way it would jog my memory who gave it to me. I got hopelessly behind in that now!! STILL... when I use a piece and see a name and it makes me smile.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9379277

Betty, it is no big deal about the fabric...just so happened I recognized it this time. LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9379293

Great idea Pat..

Marion, keeping the box as well, much too pretty to discard

Here is hoping I win at tv bingo. Lol. Just think of the fabric I could get while on sale
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9379387

Between catering work, as well as out of town friends and family, it seem like ages since I've had a "me" day. Today was it. I baked two dessert pies and a pot pie for dinner, basted the third wedding quilt quarter and the last sham. It wasn't totally a free day 'cause I had lots of linen to wash from all the house guests. Guess the upside to downsizing is fewer houseguests. :) Hopefully I'll have the third quilt section on the frame tomorrow and be ready to stitch again.

Hi, Joann, I am Laurel. I live in Atlanta and have a small cottage in the Appalachian foothills called Maypop, thus the name. I love hand embroidery, hand quilting and various old school forms of antique textile design, stitching and weaving. I do a little beading and less knitting. Sometimes my sewing machine cooperates with an idea and helps me make a fast quilt. Not often. I grow species orchids and am a frequent poster on the orchid forum but my biggest passion is a vegetable garden in N. GA. and the food I create based on what we grow.

The people on this forum are very knowledgeable and inspirational when it comes to needle arts. Coming here has kept me on track with current projects and helped me get back to long abandoned ones.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9379389

Betty, that is going to be so pretty! Sure wish I knew how to paint with the highlights, and shading.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9379483

Welcome back Laurel..nice having a me day!

Just means LindaKay you will have to come for a holiday and learn. Wouldn't I just love that.

So long since I really painted I wasn't sure I'd remember how. Picked up 2 more hoops on my way home, now I'm all set..I'll have them lined up and won't have to watch paint dry

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9379570

That would be awesome to get painting lessons from you Betty! Some day!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
10:53 PM

Post #9379739

Lordy, Lordy can't sleep, bathed, watching a movie and tempted to head into the sewing room but going to give this sleep thing one more try!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9379897

Is it QNN you guys belong to? I just got a $2/month offer & was wondering if I should try it out.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 9, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9379907

All set up for a day of painting!

Now sure what QNN is...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9379909

QNN is Fons & Porter's on line quilt network

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9379958

I don't belong to QNN! In fact I have only one or two magazines that I have coming to the house, as most I need I can find online for free.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9380017

I don't belong either. I enjoy watching them once in a while but not enough to subscribe. I do enjoy Eleanor Burns website though...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 9, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9380050

Just love watching Eleanor, she makes you just want to get giddy and have fun with sewing.

Meeting a SIL for lunch, she bought fabric for a large rag quilt, doesn't know how to sew, I'll cut the squares, let her do the 'x's then have her come over and put it through the accuquilt for ragging..then some Saturday she'll visit and we'll put it together...did I say 'we'

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9380067

speaking of Eleanor Burns... I watched the webinair last night of her new block party, she just totally cracks me up. Her Block Party series are fun, as they usually have a theme, sometimes she cooks too, or shows video clips of places she's been or her house.. wow, would love to be there in person! Anyway, the quilt she was doing last night was from jelly rolls, called ZigaZag, reminds me of a rail fence type pattern, but it's done in strips sets, very easy. I think the live webinair is still posted on the site for viewing. She always shows quilts that people have done at the beginning of the show, and ones that she and her assistant Theresa have made for that show. There is an option to join the Block Party for the patterns and booklets of each quilt that she does in the series. You get each pattern book mailed out ahead of time so you have a chance to make it before she airs, think it said $94 for all of them... BUT if you just want to watch the videos, the new ones usually post on the site about 3 weeks after each new block. (can you tell I'm an EB fan??? LOL)
http://www.quiltinaday.tv

She is a silly lady, but very easy to learn from. Her site also has a Media Theatre which has LOTS of her videos,(FREE) old and new and she always gives measurements on what she's cutting. This new one was shown in darker colors, browns, reds, greens and black, very pretty!

Thumbnail by Kizmo

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9380090

I just looked and the video is not there. But that quilt is so pretty, looks easy to do!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9380196

January and February at the Museum where I work are slow so I decided to bring in a hand sewing project, am now doing hexies. Don't have a definite layout yet but am kicking around a few ideas. Will probably end up in the UFO pile.

Thunder, the green in the single one is from you, I'm calling that one 'Surprise in the Garden'.

Thumbnail by Catbird423   Thumbnail by Catbird423         

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9380202

I looked at some hexies, does that count? LOL I do like the colors you have.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9380258

That is a lot of hand stitching! Can't wait to see how you put them together!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 9, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9380301

What an ambitious project, you must enjoy hand stitching.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9380390

I have made up a tutorial on how to make the coloring book totes but I"m not sure how to get it here. I did it in Word. Should I start a separate thread for it? It is about seven pages long because I tried to take pictures as I made one today... Can you help me with this?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9380397

I wish I could.

One thing is for sure, Im darned excited to see it!!! Thanks you thank you. Seeing instead of just reading is really going to help..me at least.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9380411

I'm anxious to see it too Barb, thanks. I think another thread is a good idea.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9380416

Can I transfer from Word to here? Does anyone know? If not, I'll try to copy and paste.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9380424

I can't advise you either but I too would love to see a separate thread with the totes. You can copy and paste anything you write into a DG thread. Just take your type and copy, then open a DG window and paste. My SO is good at getting photos to transfer from various formats so I could ask him. If you want my email addy DG me and you can send a photo. He can maybe try a one photo experiment and tell you what to do.

P.S. I did ask in advance if he would be willing to help and he agreed so no DHs or SOs will be harmed in this experiment.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 9, 2013

Post #9380426

Think Barb you copy and can paste it here..anxious to follow your tutorial.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9380474

Tutorial is now posted... Hope it is okay!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9380550

Sorry Linda! Last night she said on the webinar (and in my newsletter invite) that after the last viewing last night, the video would be on the website. Today on her FB page, it says it will be there by the end of the week.
It is a nice pattern, although I would probably cut yardage instead of purchasing jelly rolls. Christmas colors would be pretty too.
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9380561

Wow! I feel like I just walked into a big rolicking party! Thanks for the warm welcome!

So now I should tell you something about myself. I garden, I quilt, and I'm married to a deaf old coot who I am right fond of. Moved to the SC low country a little over a year ago, still getting used to the change from Virginia. Like being outside barefooted today (January 9th!!) digging a new border. Or filling in holes that the armadillo dug under the porch...or finding an alligator sunning in the back yard...

I've been quilting about 15 years, worked in a quilt shop in VA for a couple of years, and did some teaching there. Liked that, but have been too busy putting in a new garden here to get much quioting done as yet. Have a lovely new sewing room and have only been in it to make some new drapes...boooor-ring!!

Joined an art quilt group here and am supposed to be working on a small abstract quilt for a challenge. Have some ideas...but can't stop digging outside long enough to get to the cutting table...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9380567

barb you cant do too much with the word program here.

Each and everyone interested can e-mail their regular e-mail address and you can attach it. Perhaps you can cut it back some.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9380575

Joann, I'm so happy to see we didn't scare you off, you came BACK!!! You can keep your gators... I am a Northern girl and we have enough predators, don't need gators and I've NEVER seen an armadillo in real live person. A possum surprised me once on my back patio and I nearly had a heart attack!! My first thought was RAT!!! You see, I'd NEVER seen one in my neck of woods when I was living in Walla Walla so I was just so shocked. By the way, those of you familiar with possums... Do you know why the chicken crossed the road? To show the possum it COULD be done!!

I'm going to go see if I can find BArb's crayon bag tote link. I'll be back later.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9380600

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293292/

Here is the link for Barbs tote bag tutorial!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 9, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9380618

Yaaaaaaaaay Joanne - you came back! Nice to "see" another friendly face here! (VBGrin)
I love gardening, and quilting, too! Although I haven't been quilting as long as you...
I'm married to an old coot too (he's not deaf, but he's got "male hearing" lol)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9380619

Hey Joanne, glad you came back! Can't wait to see some of your work. That art quilt sounds interesting! Yes, we like pictures!
We have armadillo's here too, but Thank God we don't have any gators! The scorpions and tarantula's are enough to keep me scared!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9380714

And here in NH we have bears in the backyard!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
3:31 AM

Post #9380719

Bears here as well and deer.

Sewing will continue until the weather improves then it is outside gardening as well.

My painting continues and the morning glories, took me better part of the day to do 6..thought it would be quicker than appliqué but now I'm not so sure. Figured it will take me 3 more days unless my boss (BIL) gives me something to do. Lol

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9380736

JoAnne - I'm with you on being outdoors when the weather is nice!!!! Finished the quilting project I needed for tonite & plan to play in the dirt & paint the exterior of the studio while the weather is so nice. Hope to get the new garden tilled over the weekend and get plants moved in. Also time to start Spring veg seeds.

Robin, does the RWB Quilt still hang in the Museum? Did you see my block??? I was still in the Army when that project was done - must be 15 years ago. Got the focus fabric from JoAnn's.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9380808

Altho Im not a big valentines person, I must say Fabirc.com has some really cute valentines fabric, I especially love the retro stuff.
[HYPERLINK@www.fabric.com]

I was out at 8 this morning pruning my crape myrtle. Its a brutal job. Ive got one more trip out to finish it. It got so hot and humid yesterday working outside, I just finally gave up. Moving some bushes...I redo my front bed every year, drives my husband totally insane, so I have to do it when he is at work. I cant get it just right tho. Its an odd shape and size. Im really liking the knockout roses so having to move some azealas and agapanthas. Enjoy your day out Jean, its heaven to be able to work with no mosquitos.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9380943

Crape myrtle is excellent for mounting orchids. Save the rounds that are over an inch. I chase the lawn services around my neighborhood when they prune in late Fall.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9380958

Been saving pics to my quilt folders, found a couple that some of you may find interesting:
1 is a log cabin from a F&P ebook, link is on their FB page.
2 is one I saved from the web
3 is from F&P, chevrons made with strips
4 is for Karen's 'to do' list..LOL
I have quite a few tree skirts saved to my Pinterest quilting board, if anyone's interested

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 1:18 PM

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9380960

Oooooh Kathy I love it...but then you knew I would.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9380962

and we can sooo relate to this feeling...

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9380964

Karen, I've been saving tree skirt pics just for you...LOL
Are you on Pinterest?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9380965

O wow, love that second one
Went to order from fabric.com RIGHT after getting the sale email. Just like in the clearance sale, they have more posted with none in stock, than they do with the ones in stock. They didnt use to do this, and I dont like it.

Went into Dillards this morning. Just in the front door I was confronted with a huge Vera Bradley display, and all the new bags and fabric. Why oh why cant we get fabric like that. I could have spent 1000 bucks in a flash, great stuff this season, fabrics and bags. I wont buy it, because I feel I should be able to make something close. I wish she would start a fabric line.

Very cute cartoon...and oo how true

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 12:33 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9380981

Love the Karen's 'to do' piece.

I was just looking and disecting and trying to see how the large dresden plate template could be used somehow to accomplish something like this or similar to this pattern..now you've got my mind going, a challenge..

still sitting here painting, now why didn't you all convince me that painting those 3 strips - total of 27 morning glories were NOT the thing to do..I'm on my 13th one, might get to finish the 14th before leaving work today...

what else are you all up to???

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9381014

Betty, this one uses the wedge, just divided up into sections...

http://www.erinunderwoodquilts.com/store.php?cat=3

the one for Karen is from another Board that says the pattern is from the book French Braid Obsession.
this is my Pinterest page if anyone's interested.. I guess the link will work for anyone regardless of whether you're a Pinterest member or not...

http://pinterest.com/kitz45750/quilting-want-to-do-s/

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9381023

Thank you, was thinking at lunch hour if I still have time after I go to the post office might go to fabricland, they still have christmas fabric, not as cheap as Joanns but then Joanns didn't have any..yep, I'm in need of making that stop
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9381037

Okay so I have 'possums, raccoons, armadillos and 2 large gators in the lake. Add some beavers, otters and deer. Just part of living in northern Florida. Armadillos are a pain in the butt but have found they do not tolerate Castor Oil. The only thing that has saved some of my plants. :-)

Kathy, here you go again, getting me into more trouble.

Barb thanks for taking the time to do the tote bag instructions for us.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9381048

Well, I sure should not have gone to that Pinterest sight. Are there some great patterns on there or what.

Also found this video on making scrap quilts. It is a MUST SEE if you have lots of squares and havent patched them together yet. Perfect for the charms we just swapped as well.

http://mypassionforquilting.blogspot.com/2011/03/quick-4-patch-video-by-billie-lauder.htm

Sorry, already posted this, thought I clicked on raccoon...so cute. Dont feel like starting over ;-o

Thumbnail by gardenglory

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9381087

Should have stayed away from Fabricland..bought 15 yards of material!

Did end up with light blue on tone fabric for the morning glory quilt..now I'm all set for awhile

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 2:55 PM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9381142

I am on Pinterest Kathy, I checked yours out and love every one of them. Think I'm gonna need to get more grands so i can make them all. Well...there's always the greats. LOL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9381227

Kathy, I wouldn't live long enough to do half of those and they are all wonderful!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9381237

now that I'm home, think I'll have a bath and go look at all of Kathy's pretties..

added more to my stach..

think I've matched some of the main color in the quilt with the morning glories..

have decided to paint all of them then go back and put in hi-lites to match color in the quilt..

might cut blocks from Marions fabrics tomorrow as I think I'll work from home..not that I work at work but I can stay in jammies if I stay home to work..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9381343

Those morning glorys look wonderful Betty. And the fabric isnot bad either!!!LOLOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9381359

I so love those Christmas birds, well, actually I love all the fabrics, but those birds...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9381360

Love that joke... 6 days?!?!?!
Karen - your "to do" is great!! love love love it!
oh oh oh... Kathy - that triple Dresden tree skirt is too perfect! I love it!
Betty - if you only knew how much I love morning glories, then you show me this beautiful work you're doing!!

I'm in awe/jealous/unable to do any more UFOs if my life depended on it... MUST do my UFOs first... I have one from 25 years or more ago...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9381362

OH!!! Cardinals... I'm with you Karen - love 'em! I decorate my tree every year with cardinals... they're so chipper and elegant at the same time!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9381372

Now I shall have to make sure birds are going in the correct direction when I cut..

Was just about ready to say how I love morning glories Susan and you said you had UFO projects to finish first...Lordy/Lordy it jogged my memory, I have a project that I cut out years and years ago that is hidding, maybe this piece reminded me of it..shaking my head, can't believe it..off I go to find it, you will laugh when you see it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9381375

I Will?!?! hmm now I'm curious lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9381385

drats, wrote an entire post and Riley who missed me while I was gone can't seem to leave my side walked over the key and goodbye post.

knew exactly where to find them, now you've given me something to add to the blackboard under UFO projcts to finish in 2013.

Think I had both whie lace sheers for bac bedroom done in blue's/yellow and was going to attach the large one in the center and two smaller ones as tie backs.
Cut them with MDF wood so they would stand out

wonder what happened to that idea..guess it wasn't a priority

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9381468

if somebody finds the pattern for that tree skirt, or those butterflies, please let me know !!!

Your flowers are going to be gorgeous Betty !!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9381476

Betty, I love your painting! Geez, if I only had a pinch of that talent.. My mom used to paint alot, watercolors, chalks, acrylics and oils. Was her outlet for de-stressing, then when Dad got so sick, she put them away. I thought after she married Charlie she would get them out again, but she says she can't concentrate on painting now with him in and out of the house all the time...? Maybe one of these days she'll get back into it. Besides cake decorating, that was her favorite pasttime.

Karen, I looked for you on Pinterest, the search didn't bring up you as a pinner? That site is just too addictive - pin something, then find someone else's board to check out, and another, and another.. LOL

Anyone else here on Pinterest?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9381479

Its on the page she posted above
far right, first row is the tree skirt. Didnt see butterflies, but didnt get to the end yet. . Ive just got to make me one of those pages, altho there is so much I like on her page it would take me a lifetime. I loved that 4 patch scrap video.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 8:57 PM

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 9:59 AM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9381486

Wow Kathy, I'm always sure that when I pin something, it posts to FB too. Let me see if I can find it and send a link.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9381491

I think this is it Kathy:

http://pinterest.com/siliolegma/pins/

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9381516

Thunder, the hearts/butterfly quilt was from a lady in OK that had a Wordpress site, also an Etsy store for her needlework. I didn't see anyplace to order a pattern, but there is a Contact Me button on her sites.
http://jewlbal3.wordpress.com/tag/quilting-2/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thejewellshandmades

The tree skirt I posted for Karen is from the French Braid Obsession book by Jane Hardy Miller. I found them on Ebay, also on Amazon. The triple dresden wedge skirt uses a 15º ruler, has sites listed:

erinunderwoodquilts.com
virginiaquilter.com

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 10:25 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9381533

Pam, there's no way I could do all those I have pinned, but it's my 'virtual' quilt display! Billie Lauder is a hoot, she talks so fast while she's demonstrating, sometimes I have to play her twice to focus on the pattern.. she does have some good videos on YouTube
Besides, I can find stuff to 'enable' other people with...

This dahlia pic is actually a lap quilt, but wouldn't it make a pretty tree skirt in christmas prints with a little metallic threading??? Betty, this can be your next 'to do'..

Thumbnail by Kizmo

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9381597

Love all these post today! So many ideas and not enough time!

I am on pinterest too.

http://pinterest.com/lcartwright55/

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9381613

Well bummer that Dahlia lap quilt is a finished product to buy..But Look what I found in Google...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/101309435/giant-dahlia-quilt-pattern-by-yours?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=COSY0by137QCFQWnnQodwEcAdw

Hubby said he can make the ruler for the triple Dresden tree skirt.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 11:07 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9381615

love looking thru your boards! Finding all sorts of new ideas, will check back in tomorrow. Goodnight All!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9381624

Betty - those look beautiful! hmm maybe you got "called away" to do Hallowe'en costumes or something lol (Oh look... a bird/pretty/sparkly/fabric/paints!!!)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9381625

Karen, check this Amazon page. You can get a used Dahlia quilt pattern book for $5 or so, or new one for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0486245012/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9381627

no Susan... "Squirrel!!!"
or if it's my Hubby... "Computers!!"

LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9381629

LOL well, okay... for me it's (oh, my garden/computer/DH)... ANYTHING distracts me lol

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 9:24 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9381630

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-The-Quick-And-Easy-Giant-Dahlia-Quilt-On-The-Sewing-Machine-Book-/160949466850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257955f6e2

Check eBay too...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9381631

:-)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9381632

Thanks Kathy just ordered it.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9381634

am I good or what?????? LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9381636

what...

LOL your'e AWESOME :-)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9381639

Aww, shucks...
Nite All! (for real this time...) LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9381646

Yes Kathy dear you are indeed awesome. BTW I found my Puff iron, I know I won't be using it any more, would you like to have it? It's perfect for pressing tiny sleeves. Google it to see what I'm talking about.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9381845

Marion, just spent some time cutting block to start the squares for the morning glory piece as as I cut and ohhh and ahhh'd at so many fabrics that matched..have to say my fellow quilters here sure know how to spoil!

I can just see the project come together and am enthused...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9381846

OK lossing my mind here, went and signed up for pinterest. How on earth to you use this sight. All it will do is bring up five boards of other people for me to follow. Coming unglued...and fast...errrrr Please help if you use it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9381849

wish I could help
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9381867

Betty, those blues and yellows are one of my favorite combinations. It's going to be stunning.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9381884

Maybe you Pinterest people need a thread for hints, techniques, etc so all the references & links are in 1 spot.

I have an account that I've never used because it just made no sense to me. I know folks who find good recipes on there

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9381893

Pam, on Pinterest you'll see your name on the right beside a red pintack. To the right of your name there is a little 'down arrow', run your cursor over that and a dropdown box appears. Click on Boards and you will have to 'create' a board. Name it anything you want (you can always change the name later), then save it. Up to the left of your screen there is a Search box. Type anything in there (just like Google) and it will bring up boards of anything that has whatever you're searching for. Try typing in quilts and see how many come up! Then you can just click on someone's board and browse thru whatever they have 'pinned' from someone else or a site. If you click on a particular picture, it will enlarge it. Then look at the top of the picture, you'll see 'Repin', 'Like'. If you click on 'Repin', it will save it to your Board on your account. If you have multiple Boards created, you can choose which Board to pin it to, just like you would your Favorites or Folders on your computer. If you really like something that you see, you can click on 'Like' to show that you like their pin, or 'Follow' to watch what else that person pins to their Boards. If you repin something I have on my Boards, I get an email saying that you either repinned or Liked something that I have. You can always Unpin, Unlike or Unfollow... Pretty easy once you get the hang of it!
Think of Pinterest as having multiple bulletin boards all over your wall and your 'pinning' ideas for projects to them... You can also use the search bar to look for other people, type in someone's name, click the search icon and it will bring up 'Pins','Boards', 'Pinners'. Click on any one of those and it will take you to either that person's Boards, or things they've pinned. Interesting what you will find.

Betty, I just love that blue/yellow combo! Can't wait to see the final Ta-Da!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9381935

Love the blue & yellow too. Made my DGS and his wife a quilt using B & Y squares from a swap in D9P pattern. They were very happy with it.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9381945

I am not on facebook or twitter, so I signed up with just an email account.

Per you instructions, I was able to make myself five boards, off to try to figure how to get something on them. Copy and paste doesnt work. Must be another trick

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9381953

Yikes, sounds too complicated for this old gal!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9381977

Betty, love what you are doing with the blue/yellow pieces. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Bright sunny and warm here today. The outdoors is calling my name but my knee is saying, no, no, no!! Shucks!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9382001

Marion...you stay inside and sew !!! YOU HEAR !!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9382020

You are allowed out ONLY if you sit Missie...drats, I must wait until mid February or end of March to make the trip, keep the sunshine for me will you.

was just thinking, today is Friday, usually at Fort Myers Flea Market picking up some treasures..instead I'm still in my jammies, need to do my hair (might call hairdressers seeing as I'm finished at 3pm) sewing up a storm and enjoying the day.

Only problem I have is the painted morning glories..will have to give a shade of deeper blue, much too turquois for my liking, think what I've done so far clashes

maybe had I added some white on white in the blocks it might have blended better

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9382023

Betty, I think that looks lovely! Love those colors!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9382028

BEAUTIFUL :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9382048

well I'm tempted to change the project..

why is it sometimes everything looks fantastic till you start to put it together...could always use the painted trips on another project

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9382053

I think it is gorgeous, but maybe YOU would like it more if you used the same white on white that you used on the flower panels, for the triangles on the outsides of the four patches???

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9382068

bit late for that, going to finish the block, add similar blue to the morning glories and see what dies I have for the accuquilt, maybe I could incorporate something in the middle of the blocks with the same white fabric..

one step forward and two backwards

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9382100

I like the contrast between the two. I think if I were to try something, it would be to bring a touch - just a touch - of the darkest blue to the base of the morning glories. Against the white background, I find them to look paler than they would without the darker pieced panels. Just an opinion because the work is stunning!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9382119

thanks Barb but my thoughts are going to 'dye'
have any of you had success with dye..thought the slightest of yellow or blue just to tone down the while..will take your advice with the darker blue

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9382156

Your picture shows only five blocks completed with the blue color around the four patches...couldn't you do the rest of the blocks with the WOW ? and use the few with the blue here and there in the rows? how many rows of pieced blocks complete the quilt?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9382170

Wanted a bigger piece, so I painted 9 morning glories instead and adding 2 rows..

I've enough to add white both of the blocks and the WOW

Might work, later I'll get the same blue that is in the blocks and see if I cant add the color in hopes I can marry all the colors

Thunder what are your thoughts on my adding a different pattern to the block and incorporate the WOW, that way it wouldn't be as drastic.

thanks for your help everyone...it just might get me out of scrapping the rows of painted flowers

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 3:43 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9382197

Now I like that!!! The white around the four-patch softens the look and makes it more cohesive. Could you perhaps do a white one every other???
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9382208

Does anyone use a MAC that is on pintrest. I have totally screwed up my computer and lost everything Ive ever done, trying to put the pin on the bookmark bar. I even had to google daves and re-login, I usually just punch my daves button.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9382230

Wow that is not good, if you think you have troubles now, lookout if I tried to help you! Sorry..lots of computer wise gals, am sure they shall help you out!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9382240

Betty - have you considered using a green that matches the stem/leaves? Although I love a blue/yellow combo, when I look at the quilt, I see the yellow & not the LOVELY painted flowers.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9382300

oooooooooh love that quilt, Betty... the morning glories are awesome!

Well, I have an interview on Wed, with an Oil & Gas company that's just starting out in Calgary - http://www.panafricanoil.ca/
Should be interesting - I will be the lone assistant in the office, and I would work for 2 people. I would have to find things to do when it's quiet in the office, or they're off to Africa...Hey - sounds like your office, Betty - hmmm sewing comes to mind... LOL NOT!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9382363

is there any green in the prints?? you could add a very thin line / sashing / border of green between the flower strip, and the strips of blocks. or use the dark blue ? I think I would do it quite thin, perhaps cutting 1'', that when sewn in it would only be 1/2 ''

I love greens , sew that would work for me !! you may want to audition a few different shades, if you have some on hand. If you don't like the green, try a few blues...

sorry Pam, NO computer knowledge here at all. sure hope you get it figured out
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9382374

OK, Linda, just keep those sneaky-crawlies down there in TX. I can handle things I can see coming, but I don't like things that sneak (or crawl or slither) up on me. Scorpions would freak me out.

Marion: How does the castor oil work? Do you pour in around the base of the plants? I just dug a trench along the back of my house and filled it with lava rock to keep my friendly neighborhood armadillo from trying to burrow under my bedroom. He is bent on getting under the foundation back there. I run out in my jammies when he wakes me up and whack him on the butt with the broom, but he just comes back the next night...
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9382382

Susan: Good luck with your interview. A quiet office...that sounds too good to be true!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9382407

Joann, try this link, they sell repellents for armadillo's. I also read that sulfer can work too.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/armadillo/armadillo-repellant.php

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9382471

Thanks Joann! Now, looking forward to the interview... :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2013
3:11 AM

Post #9382523

Morning all,

Having girls over for a sewing session so think my project will go on back burner..

Bought one of those wall(???) hmm what do they call them, mind went blank that you can attach pieces, blocks to get an idea what your piece will look like..maybe I will put it up and audition some of your suggestions..will do this if I can figure out best way to hang it on a temporary basis.

Susan, wishing you luck with the interview..key words were 'when boss is away I'll have to find something to keep me busy'. Does that mean you will pull a Betty???

Well need a coffee, bake muffins, wash floors before my sewing buds get here..

Enjoy your day
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9382541

Design Wall!!!!! Teach you not to have coffee before posting!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9382544

lol, yes that's it..had coffee, now my mind is working..thank you, always someone on life to keep me on the straight and narrow

managed to clean the craft room, not sure why if we will get into several projects today but what to heck..always nice for it to be cleaned before starting.

Just got a call, Linda's running late so I just might cut out a set of christmas placemats..

anybody know where one would hide her braided placemats when she took out her christmas set??? for the life of me, checked every corner, not to be found..know
the napkins are keeping them compan

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9382575

One thing for sure Betty, they will be in the last place you look. LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9382580

It's a sad time in the other house, we are losing a sistah. It's a hard part of getting to be in our senior years.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 12, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9382655

yes Karen - we will lose a dear friend... Sunday or Monday they will disconnect all life support unless (as the Dr thing they may be able to do, but The Lord's Will be done) the Drs can do something. For now, only the machines are keeping her alive.
I'm so sad...

Yes, Betty - I will "pull a Betty" LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9382727

2 days ago I look thru my pantry for my container of Daitaneaous Earth. It was no where to be found. This AM I opened the pantry & the container was sitting right where it was supposed to be. So yes, I have other dimensions in my house.

Went thru 2 of the 3 bags of donated fabric scraps I was given yesterday. Very little "quilt shop quality" fabrics but a lot of fabrics nice enough to make some charity quilts. Even a bag that had a rail fence in progress and enough cut strips to make it a nice size. Some old cotton curtains that will make nice backings. Am now looking forward to the next bag of loot.

But 1st, I need to put my work clothes on & get to caulking the siding of the studio. Sunny & 70s so I'm going outside to enjoy it while we have it.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9382792

Joanne, not sure how the castor oil works..LOL can only use my imagination. I pour it around the plants and so far it has stopped their digging. Also found the hole where they live and put some there...haven't seen any in some time now.

Oh Jean, how much better you make me feel...I am always looking for something and later finding it right where it was suppose to be...maybe I can get away with need cataract surgery on the right eye? LOL Lovely day here also but only doing limited things outside.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9382795

Ya, I was rooting for you Betty... sending you positive thoughts ... "Design wall" but I see Jean beat me to it!!

Ben is still not doing great and my worry is, this will be his new baseline? His brother has been driving 2 hours one way to be here and work on getting the studio finished. It has been painstakingly SLOW. I got home from a 12 hour day at work and to my naive eyes wondered what the heck they had done!! The exterior door is till not installed, they have been on it for days. Maybe today?

Today, in spite the house work that needs to be done, the bills that I need to pay, I will carve out a few hours to SEW. NO, I'm not talking about the altering of clothes for my sister although I still have 3 more pairs of pants. I'm going to do something for MY PLEASURE.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 12, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9382799

((((((((Pat)))))))) for you and Ben
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9382971

I'm exhausted. Was outside working all afternoon. All but 1 seam is caulked & then I got the steel rake & shovel & moved back a lot of the dirt that had gathered around the foundation of the Studio. Need to get the cutters out to get rid of some nice roots up against the concrete. Hopefully they belong to trees that have been cut down. Had hoped to get some painting done today but ran out of time & energy.

But was nice to be out in the fresh air.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9383036

Gave my son his quilt yesterday, he loved it! Took a couple pictures of it on his bed. The bed was made by his great, great, grandfather on his fathers side. i think the quilt is perfect for it, except I wish I had made it a little longer on the sides.
He and his girlfriend bought new sheets to match and got new pillows too.

Thumbnail by Catbird423   Thumbnail by Catbird423   Thumbnail by Catbird423      

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013

Post #9383061

It did turn out beautiful!! If you really want it wider, you could add another BIG border of creme or maybe dark brown so it "blends" in with the bed. I have frequently added a big border to a purchased quilt because I want the quilts I use as bedspreads to come close to the floor.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9383072

Beautiful work Robin, I'm sure he'll treasure it for many many years.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9383075

Very,very nice!!!!! Beautiful job Robin...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9383079

Robin, I saw that on Facebook. That is beautiful! Job well done!
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9383110

Beautiful, Robin! Wow - lotta work there...

Marion: I'm going to Walgreens tomorrow and get the biggest bottle of castor oil I can find. I've been using the commercial stuff from Lowe's (Repells All, I think). That worked great for about a year, but now they just ignore it - and it's expensive!

Went to Joann's yesterday and got some pillow forms, fabic, and zippers for new pillows for the porch...but the weather is so nice, I don't know when I'll stay inside to get them done. By the time I get back to the sewing room, I won't remember what I was going to do with that bag of stuff anyway...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9383117

Went to joanns this afternoon to get the supplies for the crayon tote. Darned if I didnt get distracted figuring which fusible interfaceing, and forgot the lining.
Went by the health food store. NOW, if I only actually ate any of the stuff I got there ;-O. I do feel healthier just being in there tho. I did pick up one of the dark chocolate bars Jean had mentioned, with the Stevia. Cant tell any difference. I did notice insulin as an ingrediant, Im sure thats got to be some form of sugar.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9383164

Ohhh isn't that lovely, I'm sure they were thrilled to receive such a treasure.

Prayers for those in need and a miracle for Dorothy!!!

My company left just after 4pm..full day of learning to sew and giggles

Missy decided she would find a comfy spot and watch our antics

everybody doing their thing

luckily we had 3 sewing machines

Linda went home with a rag quilt, just know my shoulder will be so re from putting the blocks through the accuquilt..I just don't learn!!

Had it not been that Rita had unexpected company she would have finished the 12 placemats - 2 of each and could have done binding at home..guess it means she'll have to come back and keep me company..

so enjoyed our day together..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9383184

Betty, is there a reason each person doesn't put their own blocks through the accuquilt..? Or was this one yours? I'll bet that is FAST!!! Oh how I wish!!! I cut buy hand.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9383189

pat Linda is waiting for an operation in the next week or so to have her hand and wrist operated on..she barely had enough strength to match coloring and see..she managed to sew about 50 blocks then had to stop. I finished the other 40 and didn't mind! I loaned Rita the accuquilt a few weeks before christmas, she brought it back so we could use it..she offered to do them for me but I got her busy doing placemats

Pat do you rag before putting it together? Sure makes ragging easier.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9383263

Doing rag quilts are pretty easy, but if you clip by hand, it takes a long time. I have always put the blocks together, then did all the clipping. I will have to try clipping first, the sew together next time.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
9:52 PM

Post #9383311

I've done both... if it's a "group" effort, sometimes I have sewn the blocks in sections and then sent them out the rest to do the clipping. It was the only way to get the job done in time!! ie, I'd assembly the rag quilt in 1/4 and pass out the 1/4 sections, finish assemby and clip the remaining blocks to the seam.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9383329

Good thinking!

Must be oner tired, drats can't sleep.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9383374

Robin, that is a beautiful quilt and how wonderful to have a bed made by his grandfather.

Betty, I am so impressed with all that you accomplish and it is so wonderful how you help others and share your skills. I love that Little twister wreath, I am putting together some more placemats for Meals on wheels using that tool.

I had the best day yesterday we (Sheila, Dottie and I) went to the grand opening of a new quilt shop in Orlando, Wandering Stitches. Just wonderful but too many "new" fumes in the air and I felt like I just had to keep clearing my throat. We're going to go back in a week or so, hopefully it will be better air then.
We then went to IKEA for lunch and had 15 meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy and lingonberry sauce. So delicious , ate every bit. We had frozen yogurt cones for dessert. I bought the large Christmas tree panel (60" wide x 74" long) and want to make it into a Christmas shower curtain. I'll use the large plastic grommets from JoAnns as the rod hangers. My plan is to pin holiday pins on it as decorations. This will give me a chance to use my new serger and explore some more features of it. I sure love the way you can put in a zipper using a special foot attachment.
I brought home a small quilt from the Rocket Quilters meeting. It needed to have binding made and attached . So I serged the edges, and made and attached the binding. It takes me longer to read the instructions and set the machine up than it does to do the actual serging. I hope I can get faster as I become more familiar with it. The backing had hummingbirds so here's a closeup of the backing.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9383378

I finished the edges of the pink sweatshirt jacket for my grand daughter, I used the wave feature of the serger using rayon variegated thread. Close up detail of the sleeve edge. I want to try this out on a table runner that needs finishing.
Just had to share Judy's quilt that was given to her daughter for Christmas, the little Twister placemat made by Ilona and and the entirely handquilted double wedding ring made by Kakthy K and given to her MIL.
Off to church so more pictures to come later. Have a great morning.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013

Post #9383428

Robin - that quilt is very nice. Is that the one the woman in Odenton quilted for you?

I'm off to rake leaves in a bit. Surprised I'm moving after the caulking & digging I did yesterday. I was looking forward to a shower, jammies, and a nice nite relaxing o the couch BUT DH had told a friend we'd meet his gang for dinner at 7:30!!!! So I had to put nice clothes on & go stay awake way longer than I had planned. At least Pumpkin let me sleep in.

Now to hit WM before I attack the leaves.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9383438

Mitsy, you have been busy shopping and sewing! Love that jacket, and those quilts are beautiful! I can't imagine stitching one by hand!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 13, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9383454

Morning all, guess who slept in, don't know in how many years that I've slep till 9am..hmmm perhaps the meds helped.

What a way to start my morning, the ohhh's and ahhh's , so enjoyed viewing all the pretties..talented lady!

Wonder if you were able to provide me with more details re the quilt shop for the large tree, perhaps I could order it, fell in love with it.

Jacket is just too pretty..that little lady is one lucky child. I have a friend who designed a quilted sweater, made about 30 of them, was a great selling item..anyway we made up little sets, matches wool to pants color then purchased matching fabric, ohh what fun we had. From adults to children sizes, if memory serves me I gave Barb here a sweater in black and white..did you ever make another Barb? Got off track, wanted to say because my friend shares her pattern if you would like a small sized pattern I could send it to you..just would have to let me know what size...

Off to do something, feel. Like I've wasted a day. Lol
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9383513

Betty, the fabric panel from IKEA is called Margareta SPRUCE, the article number is 301.346.15 and the price was 6.99 per yard. It is a little over 2 yards in length, I don't know the exact cost as I bought more than one panel. Approximately $14.00? I was amazed that they allow you to cut your own fabric. We're going back this week to pick up Dottie's machine that was left for repair and to drop off Sheila's for it's annual check up. As Ikea is quite close to the quilt store we're going back for lunch again. If you can't get one via phone order, let me know and I'll get one for you. Thanks but no thanks on the sweater pattern. I'm trying very hard to destress my life by finishing up the hundreds of projects I have already started.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9383522

Sounds like a trip I would like to take. Fodd and fabric, a winning combo. Not to mention a day out with a nice friend/s

I have lots of flower pictures, but if someone has a quiilt picture to start a new thread, my computer would appreciate it. I dont want to start one without a nice colorful picture.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9383618

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30234615/

Betty, this is the link for that panel at Ikea.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9383641

Love the quilt Robin. Beautiful compliment to the bed...luck guy!!!

Mittsy is your serger by chance a Babylock? I have one that does the wave stitch but haven't used it so far...might need to try that now that I have seen the pictures. Good to have you checking in with us. How are things with the family? I think about you quite a lots and keep wondering how things are going. Sending a hug your way.

I had no clue Ikea sold fabrics! I see a trip down to Orlando in my future...well after I get the knee taken care of so I can move around a little better.

Have a fantastic Sunday everyone.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 13, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9383853

thanks LindaKay, will check it out. Closest IKEA is 100 miles from here, not sure when I will ever get to that end of the city..not sure if they have mailing service or not..will call them.

Cooking a stew, smells mighty good, sure wish you all lived closer, I'd provide stew and you could help me organize..lol

my weekend to do list is done, even included a few extras..

bought so much fabric at Fabricland today, a couple of designs were $15 and if you bought 1 they gave you 4 FREE, could resist, walked out spending a fortune to save a fortune..bought same amount on Thursday when I was at the Barrie store..some stores have staff that are soooo nice to deal with, helpful, smilling..made my day.

The icing on the cake is I get to sew the strips which shall become 3 sets of 6

and no, won't finish them t onight but always nice when you are organized and have everything set up to sew a strip here and there

Completing the turn table and ironing pad went without mishap..will make sewing a lot easier.

Same with Home Depot when they cut my wood..had hair cut and she was just a doll soooo had the perfect day!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9383872

Our closest IKEA is 2 hrs away, have never been in one but my son says it's a cool place to spend a day just planning... I checked the fabrics too, but they're stated as 'not sold online'. Found some really nice black on whites, though.
Betty, is your new fabric a Judy Hansen line? Looks familiar to what I have upstairs in my Christmas stash.. love that pine cone fabric! Good idea for a turntable, just got card of coupons for Joann's yesterday, will have to see if they have one of those smaller mats.
Marion, hope you get that knee healed soon... you have lots of running to catch up on!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9383914

Continuing on to a new thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293603/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America