Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Convolvulaceae - Ipomoea or Merremia genus, which species?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 15, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BETELGEUSE312
ATHENS
Greece

December 28, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9368882

Last summer I seeded a variety of yellow flowered Ipomoea and Merremia species. A storm overturned the small pots and mixed up their name tags. Early October I saw the first yellow flower come out of a plant I had tagged "Ipomoea Mauritiana." That couldn't be right (I.Mauritiana produces pink blooms) so I've been trying ever since to identify the plant shown in the attached photos. Please, do help!

Thumbnail by BETELGEUSE312   Thumbnail by BETELGEUSE312   Thumbnail by BETELGEUSE312   Thumbnail by BETELGEUSE312   Thumbnail by BETELGEUSE312
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9369062

Maybe a cross from last plantings? The leaves seem similar to Ipomoea cairica or Ipomoea nil, but there is a Merrimia quinquefolia syn I quinquefolia that has similar leaf shape.

http://convolvulaceae.myspecies.info/category/image-galleries/ipomoea

This message was edited Dec 28, 2012 12:02 PM

VineWorld

VineWorld
Syracuse, UT
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9369767

I can only help a little but I did find a eBay posting of it possibly stating its a Ipomoea spp. She does know her MG's quite well though so maybe that is somewhere to start. Sounds like you got something pricy on your hands irregardless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YELLOW-w-Purple-Throat-Morning-Glory-Seeds-Ipomoea-sp-ULTRA-RARE-/380524447745?nma=true&si=s/E3izBO+hdMftLbj/7hrGZan/c=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9369780

That does look very close to Betelgeuse's picture...
singhg45
Delhi
India

December 29, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9369808

Leaves, shape of corolla tube, corolla limb (except purple centre) all point to Ipomoea tuberosa (ironically Ipomoea tuberosa on Daves Garden by Kell f79f1b.jpg (not visible to me being non-subscribing member) visible in Google search is I think not I. tuberosa, it is I think Thunbergia alata).
singhg45
Delhi
India

December 29, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9369811

Or better still Ipomoea longeramosa

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9369814

Singhg, I checked out that DG thread...midway through, they stop talking about Morning Glories and start discussing a rosey colored Thunbergia...Kell's response is indeed a pic of T alata.

This is the DG PlantFile link to I tuberosa

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53475/

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9369818

I longeramosa does look very much like OP's flower

http://convolvulaceae.myspecies.info/category/convolvulaceae/convolvulaceae/ipomoea/ipomoea-longeramosa
singhg45
Delhi
India

December 29, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9369820

Thanks the moonhowl for clarifying. It, however, looks strange to find an image of T. alata in a google image search of I. tuberosa: Google fault or DG?. Many unsuspecting persons (who don't know plants well) may get misled.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9369827

Google picks up the Thread title, which asks about Morning Glories...anything in the thread gets sorted under the Thread name...this thread will show up eventually under Convolvulaceae, Ipomoea, and Merremia image/info requests...so any pics posted here may well pop up in a search for one of those topics...that is the inherent flaw in the whole system.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9369830

Google is not a great place to search for images of plants unless you are already good at ID'ing things and can tell which pictures are right and which aren't. Try searching for just about any plant and you're bound to get a lot of hits that are not actually the plant you were looking for. There are cases like this where people talked about multiple plants on the same page which can lead to pictures getting associated with something they're not, and then there are the millions of people who just have no clue about how to ID plants who post misidentified pictures everywhere. That's why I always start by searching Plant Files for pictures--granted there are sometimes misidentified pictures there too but at least your odds are better since there's some level of oversight & a mechanism to remove misidentified pictures.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9369837

That becomes really apparent when you search for a "common" term like Rose...you will get flowers...roses, "rose" colored flowers, people and places named Rose and even animals like the roseate spoonbill...never has the phrase "be careful what you ask for" been more apparent...GRIN

VineWorld

VineWorld
Syracuse, UT
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9369881

I believe i've found it, Bumpy Convolvulaceae, Ipomoea tuberculata

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9369907

Wow...a species from Zambia...So Africa and India...that winds up an unknown in Greece...the pictures certainly look right.This is a rather wonky translation, but the ID and Pic look right.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http://www.zelenelisty.cz/clanky/werbar---sukulenty/ipomoea-tuberculata.html
BETELGEUSE312
ATHENS
Greece

December 29, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9369988

Many thanks to all Dave’s Garden fans who have contributed to identifying my hitherto “anonymous” plant. I’m ever so grateful to you. So it is the I.Tuberculata, a relatively uncommon African species, one of the few known yellow-flowered Ipomoeas whose seeds I purchased from a German vendor. Small world…!
Botanical facts are available on many sites; I found the Kew site most useful:
http://apps.kew.org/efloras/namedetail.do?flora=fz&taxon=6032&nameid=15372 or
http://epic.kew.org/searchepic/summaryquery.do?scientificName=Ipomoea tuberculata&categories=flora&detailDatasource=efz.
My personal experiences from growing this plant from seed are as follows: I seeded it in late May 2012. By mid-October it started both flowering and growing very fast. This required frequent fertilization with 15-30-15 at ˝ strength, and plenty of water. The unscented flowers have a diameter of around 2”, and are pale yellow to lemon yellow with a lovely purple center. They are very short-lived, appearing in the small hours of the morning and lasting barely until noon, but the plant compensates us by producing them in abundance. After a very mild Fall in the costal areas of Athens the plant reached a height of six feet, even though it’s still in a six inch container. It stopped growing by mid-December when the weather turned cooler. I’ll overwinter it in a sheltered outdoor spot with plenty of sunshine. It’ll probably shrivel by February, but as happens with most of the sensitive perennial species of this genus it’ll re-emerged in Spring – well, hopefully!
Wishing you all a very happy, prosperous New Year.
BETELGEUSE312 - Alpha Orionis (Nicholas, for short)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9370005

Thanks for presenting us with such an interesting puzzle Nicholas.

Ευτυχισμένο το νέο έτος

Moon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America