Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: frost and wind protection

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prunusavium

December 28, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9369201

Hi, I'm in the middle of level 4 horticulture, and one of our assignments is to describe how to protect plants from frost and wind, now while i have been doing this in practice for years, i am useless at putting things down, can any one help?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9369217

For starter how do you do it? Get it typed down any way you can, then I can help you polish it up if you want. Also protecting plants from frost and wind covers a very large area.
It ranges from protecting tomato plants over night that you put out too early to how to get perennials that are marginal for the zone you are growing them in through the winter. Wind protection is everything from how to keep the hot dry winds of the southwest from drying your garden out, how to protect a tree in a hurricane to protecting evergreens over winter.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 28, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9369364

Doug9345 is right, there are many reason for plant protection, (animal, insects, cold, rain, wind, salty spray at ocean, to frost and ground freeze) I would make a list on left side of page of all type of protection required by situations, and on right side, list all types of materials to use for each job, like Mulch for frost freeze on top of soil, keep off the stems branches ect so rot cant get set at thaw time, this side of page is a quick reminder of different ways / materials so that as you begin to write/ draft out, you have not forgotten anything. It is a really nice thing Doug has offered to help or guide you as to how to lay it all out so maybe once you get the draft laid out, you could email it to him for comment, advice or correction.
Good luck, you can do it, all you seem to lack is confidence in your own capabilities and with someone like Doug helping, you will gain experience as to how to lay it all out.
All you can do is your best, Let us know how you get on once you pass, note the word PASS.
WeeNel.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

January 2, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9373311

In my garden, zone 5 mountainous, I have done two things to protect vegetables. First for a long tomato bed, I planted it along a south wall of an RV shed full sun. Then I erected a 2 foot high wind barrier using plastic, see-thru varigated roofing just south of the bed to deflect wind.

Frost protection for tomato plants involves using 5 gallon pails with the bottom cut out, and set over the new transplant. White pails reflect better light, and then a 1 gallon jug of water with a lid set behind the plant inside the pail. The jug warms thru the day, and gives off heat at night. These protect to about 26 degrees, if it appears it will be colder then I clothes pin row cover or more over the buckets. Even after the tomatoes have grown above the rim of the bucket the wind break and water jug seem to provide frost protection without row cover if I miss a predicted frost.

These are much easier to use than wall-o-waters, which not only cave when being filled but grow slime, they are more effective in my cool night climate

I don't count well, that is 3 things.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 2:04 PM
prunusavium

January 3, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9374021

Just managed to get back on line, thank you all for your help and suggestions, cheers Doug for offering to help and nancy for the tips and weenel, I'm glad you'r so sure i'm going to pass! but i will post the results good or bad!!
ayesha_irshad

January 4, 2013
3:24 AM

Post #9374885

there are different protections required in different situtaions... one thaing that you need is self confidence

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America