Playhouse

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to share some pictures of the playhouse I have been building for my grand-daughter.
It's 6' x 8', the door is 4' x 2'. The roof peaks at about 6'6" so an adult can stand up in it.
We painted one wall inside with plum colored "chalkboard"paint.
It comes apart into 8 pieces for moving, young families do tend to move.
The whole time we were working on it she kept asking "it will have a doorknob, right?"
So we put in a "real" doorknob for her.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Your playhouse brings back some wonderful memories although mine wasn't that grand.
Your grand dgt. is one lucky little girl. I'm sure she will have many happy hours in it.
Bonnie

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Nice looking Playhouse.
Like the item for backyard gardening.
May I ask where you purchased this from or did you build yourself? It looks very sturdy.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

A darling playhouse for now, and a great potting shed in later years!

SP - I built it myself out of mostly 3/4" plywood. Wood is so expensive now, it cost over $400.00 in materials alone and the windows were free. The paint wasn't cheap either, I primed the whole thing before using exterior paint over it. The floor is an old rug over 12" x 12" pavers. I ended up having to put treated wood around the outside of the pavers as they weren't quite a foot so the whole thing came out a little small. It all worked out in the end. Took a good two weeks to put together though.
It was worth every penny and every minute of work when my 4 year old grand-daughter opened the little door for the first time and gave me a big heart felt hug. She has informed her mother that she is moving in there when the new baby arrives.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

She is a very blessed granddaughter to have you. Great little house.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

very cute house... nice that it can be taken apart to be moved..
i know that was more difficult than securing it together.. and usually not considered..
not to change the way yours is enjoyed.. but I thought you might get a kick out of seeing the one Tom Cruise had done for his daughter.. nothing like a limitless budget
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/suri-cruise-24-000-playhouse-christmas-report-article-1.1223222

That's really cute, but frankly I can think of much better uses for that kind of money. There are so many suffering young people out there that could use that money for higher education and a hand up in life.
You're right about it being much more difficult to build something that can be taken apart. It breaks down into 8 pieces, two of them the roof. That was tricky, but that roofing paper is heavy and I didn't think we could manage to move the roof whole.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH...I'm sure tom and his wife donate four times that amount likely much more to outreach tasks.... it's a house that I'm sure will see many decades of use... so at $500 a year for such a complete joy for his daughter and many more children as it is passed along... is quite reasonable..
I build a 8' X 8' or 10' house on my roof everywinter...with 8' tall walls.. and a peaked roof... for keeping bunch of my tropicals in near dormantcy.. I build it out of 2" foam...no studding,,, so it heats very easily... it would make a grand play house... if it wasn't so packed with plants
OH... give her some window boxes with flowers under the windows... landscaping really sets a house up...

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 11:48 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Yes, my other daughter is making the window boxes for it. It's funny my grand-daughter is only 4 and she has already developed a love for plants. She helps me in my greenhouse and she even voluntarily weeds for me! When we went on vacation I left her the job of removing the seeds off the canna indica for me. Now she collects seeds whenever she finds them and puts them in little pots. I hope some of those little pots sprout seedlings this Spring, she certainly deserves some success.
The foam house is a great idea. I don't need that kind of protection where I am but I love the idea. I have a hoop style greenhouse. It is unheated but warms up so much during the day I have to open the doors to let some of the heat out, even in Winter. I'm starting lots of seeds in there now and also rooting succulent starts. And I do have a papaya carica planted in there (forever the optimist).

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Job Dee,

Its going to be fun to see how you finish the ouside! I know you have ideas. Are any of the windows hinged or do they open.Kids love open windows, especially when you add the flower boxes!

It's funny you should mention the windows. My daughter was concerned about the bugs getting in so the windows are fixed. But what is really nice is the window panels have beveled glass pieces and are leaded, like little stained glass windows. My daughter found them, they are recycled from a fancy coffee table.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I well noticed those amazing windows Dee. They are spectacular. I was just thinking that how fun and airy the house would seem if one of the frames was hinged with a latch to allow some air in on a pretty Spring day. I have remembered your Hobbit house, and judging from your work you are talented and know quality. I am one of those who loves open windows. Call me claustrophobic! Ha!;...not really... All that matters is, you do what you do really well!...You could make a little screen to keep the bugs out!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 1:58 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images