Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sandlapper91
Lexington, SC

December 28, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9369499

My parents recently moved back to Lexington from Bluffton and the house they move into... well, it's lacking to say the least. I've already done a lot of work whenever I come back from school, but there's still a lot to be done. Right now I'm getting to the point where its time to stop reclaiming the yard from the awful landscaping and time to start installing a decent one. I'm open to suggestions for different areas and I'll post the progress I make.

Here is the back before I cleared it out, and then after. I've since removed the switch cane as well. I can get a better picture of the final product tomorrow.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2012 11:31 PM

Thumbnail by Sandlapper91   Thumbnail by Sandlapper91
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Sandlapper91
Lexington, SC

December 28, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9369502

Here are the shrubs that were in front of the porch. Whoever planted those there was clearly not thinking. I got them from two angles to show how close to the porch they were planted. I pulled them out to plant some 'Otto Luyken' cherry laurels. The ligustrum and loropetalum rotted the porch because they were planted so close.

Thumbnail by Sandlapper91   Thumbnail by Sandlapper91   Thumbnail by Sandlapper91      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9370031

Wow! Yanking out those foundation plantings made a huge difference in the curb appeal. What did you use to get those things out of the ground?
Sandlapper91
Lexington, SC

December 29, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9370246

Thanks! Just elbow grease and determination. Haha I just cut them down to stumps and then dug right around them until I hit roots and used loppers to cut the big roots. Then I just yanked them out if there weren't any big roots still attached that I couldn't get myself.
hoitider
Emerald Isle, NC

January 3, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9374190

Save the lorapalutum,if I could have only one shrub this would be it
Sandlapper91
Lexington, SC

January 6, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9377422

They're all at the dump now. The last owners had butchered them so much that they really couldn't be salvaged, and I'm not a fan of the giant purple meatball look. I have plans to put more in elsewhere, though.
Sandlapper91
Lexington, SC

January 6, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9377424

I had to remove all of those plants because they were planted too close to the porch and it started to rot.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

January 17, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9388615

I dunnow, Sandlapper. A lot of difficult questions involved, like "who are you trying to please" with your design...? Lot of ramifications to that question, but it might help you to think them through...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America