-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9369534

It's that time of year again! Eating lunch with old friends and new, swapping seeds, and talking plants. I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon!

I'll add some details to this post later, but I wanted to start the thread so everybody had the date to pencil in on their new calendars.

Date: Saturday, February 16, 2013

PLEASE NOTE TIME CHANGE -- 1 HOUR EARLIER!

TIME: 11 am to 3 pm, we'll start the seed swapping around 12:45 or so, as we *must* be out by 3!

WHERE: Frederick, MD, Chef Lin Buffet (scroll down for directions)

WHAT: Eating Lunch and Swapping Seeds

WHO: DG subscribers and their guests (see list at bottom of post)

COST: $15

BRING: Extra seeds, either commercial or self-harvested. If you're going to split seeds into smaller packs, try to do that ahead of time, because it gets crazy! Most people bring a small item for the "gift table," which is sort of an expanded door prize thing that we like to do. Most of all, bring your enthusiasm -- we're going to have a great time!

If you've never been to a DG Mid-Atlantic event, don't worry... we are a fun and casual group. Everybody brings their extra seeds to swap & share (it's very useful to make up little labeled packets ahead of time), everybody visits and talks, and everybody goes home with a nice selection of seeds to try! I wrote an article that may give you an idea about how this event goes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1479/. This will be our fifth year for a midwinter seed swap here!

You may want to plan to come early so you can drop by Dutch Plant Farm, my favorite local nursery for winter visits. Joyanna's favorite bird, Pogo the Parrot, lives there. I wrote an article that has a lot of photos taken there, if you'd like an idea of what they are likely to have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/769/ If we're lucky, the truck will be back from FL by then with new plants. I usually manage to arrange a discount for our group on that day, so please be sure to ask for it at the register.

At 11 am we'll meet for lunch at Chef Lin, a local Chinese buffet that's one of my favorite Frederick restaurants.

First, we'll gather in the back room to get name tags and put our "stuff" down. I'll have a tray with bags for putting in seeds or little goodies for everybody (your name will be on the bag, but please leave it where it is until after lunch). There will also be a "gift table" set up as well as some tables/chairs where you can leave your seeds for the swapping part of the afternoon.

This year, we'll be eating our lunch *outside* the room, at the tables in the rear of the restaurant. This will let us all eat together but be a little less cramped than in the past. As always, people are encouraged to change seats after then make another trip to the buffet, so they get a chance to talk to different people during the meal.

Just before 1 pm, we'll change gears, maybe play a game before starting in on door prizes and seed swapping. If you have something you'd like to donate to the "gift table," please Dmail me or post that you're bringing something (so I know around how many items we'll have). Purchased items for the table should be under $5. If you got a pair of too-small garden gloves for Christmas, or you have a pretty grapevine wreath you're just done with, or you have an extra rooting vase or other container -- those are all wonderful gift table items!

We can get away with a few plants on the gift table, but "serious" plant trading will have to take place in the parking lot, or at my house for anybody coming over later.

We'll concentrate on seed swapping from 1 to 2:45 pm or so. Of course, seeds can be swapped outside of that time, and of course anybody who doesn't want to swap seeds can just keep chatting and visiting. It's an unusually busy day for Chef Lin, with a wedding reception and then an evening party after us, so Donna (the very accommodating owner-manager) needs us to be out of the back room by 3 pm. We can (and usually do, at least a few of us) continue visiting as we shop for bargains over at Dutch Plant Farm. If you want to come back to my place afterwards for the Duke-Maryland game (scheduled to start at 6), just LMK.

There's a seed swapping DISCUSSION thread as well as a thread for HAVE/WANT lists (one post per person, edit as needed). It's not necessary to make any arrangements ahead of time, but it can be useful to see what people have and what everybody's looking for.

The cost for lunch will be $15, including the tip and your choice of water, hot tea, or soft drink. Snow crab is an available option for several dollars more, but let's make it easy on Sally & on our waitstaff by skipping the snow crab, please. There's a lot of other seafood on the buffet -- sushi, steamed shrimp & mussels, clams/oysters on the half shell, fried fish/shrimp/scallops, and various hot dishes. The buffet also has everything from soups and stir-fries to fried chicken and mozzarella sticks... there's salad, fruit, and an array of desserts, including Hershey's ice cream and hot little fried doughnuts. The selection is remarkable, and even if you don't like Chinese food you'll find plenty of possibilities.

We will all be on one tab, so please bring $15 in cash to pay for your lunch. Give your money to Sally (the tall blond with the lovely smile) when you arrive.

I know some folks might be on tight budgets, and we've all been there. If the cost of the meal might keep you from coming, please Dmail me or Sally, and we'll get you covered. I don't want anybody to miss out.

Swapping of plants (with potting soil or dirt) that we can't bring inside can be done in the parking lot, maybe when we head outside at 3. I know it's not an ideal arrangement, but bear in mind this was meant to be a seed swap. :-)

Please post on this thread if you're interested in coming. It's useful for the restaurant (and for me!) to have an approximate head count.

If you can't come but still want to swap seeds, please post here or on the seed swapping thread to ask somebody to volunteer to be your "seed fairy." You can post have/want lists, send your seeds and return postage to your person, and they'll send your seeds to you after the swap.

I had a blast at our previous seed swaps, and I'm so excited about this year's gathering!

THINK SPRING!

:-)

~ Critter (Jill)

This message was edited Feb 7, 2013 4:21 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9369535

Prospective Party People

Jill (critter) & Joyanna & Jim
SallyG & Mark
Catbird
(Coleup, via seed fairy)
UMD_Terp
Gitagal
Holly & Ric
Bec_no_VA
aspenhill
greenthumb99
ecnalg
orchidfancy
(speediebean, via seed fairy)
ssgardener
buttoneer & bobbin
donnerville
haighr
Marlene4 & friend Daphne
Theresa & Tom (Jill's friend & her bro)

DISCUSSION thread for swaps, trades, group buys: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294098/

HAVE/WANT lists: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294097/

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 1:38 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9369536

* * DIRECTIONS * *

The restaurant is in Prospect Plaza, at 417 S. Jefferson St,near a nest of interchanges where 15, 340, 40, and 270 all come together. This makes it both easy to get to from different directions, and hard to describe, but these directions worked well last year, LOL. McDonalds is at the front of the Plaza, easy to spot. Chef Lin is toward the center of this strip mall.

Combine these directions with a look at the map! (I failed to get a link... type 417 S Jefferson Frederick, MD into google, but don't try to follow the really confusing step by step directions, just use it for a map)

From the north, coming down 15 South. Get off at the Jefferson Street exit, turning LEFT (going east). Cross over the highway, and Prospect Plaza will be immediately on your LEFT (turn LEFT at the light).

From the south, along 15-340 North (the two highways merge together just south of Frederick): Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Keep left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From the south, along 270N (coming up from the DC beltway): Get off at the Jefferson Street exit and turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the east (Baltimore), you'll be on 70 West. Take exit 53b, 15 North. Take the first exit onto Jefferson Street. Turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the west: you'll be on 70 East. Take the exit for 15 North. You're now on 15-340. Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Stay to the left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn left at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From Dutch Plant Farm, at 151 Baughmans Lane. Turn LEFT onto 40 East. Take the first RIGHT onto 15 South. Take the first exit, Jefferson Street. Turn LEFT onto Jefferson Street, cross over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

I'm not sure if we have our "usual" 10% discount at DPF this year or not, as I didn't hear back from Mike this week... but ask at the register. Their selection isn't quite as good as usual right now but still impressive, and pruners are 35% off (making them a reasonable price and who knows, maybe the perfect pruner for you awaits).

Dutch Plant Farm is off "the Golden Mile," highway 40, W Patrick St. At the corner of 40 and Baughman's Lane, there's a shopping center with a JoAnn's. DPF is just behind the shopping center. Coming from 15 onto 40W, you'd turn RIGHT at the first light onto Baughmans Lane and then take the 2nd entrance on the LEFT into DPF. (The 1st left is the side entrance into the shopping plaza.)

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 6:34 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9369665

WAAAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOO!

Come heck or high water I'll be there!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9369861

I will be there with Sally! (OK Sally?)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9369886

Me. too!

Ok Sally and Catbird?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9369958

Of course!!!! Cat and Cole (Must be some alignment of planets thing going on here...lol-- all of us AACo being first on the thread together!)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9370014

So, where's Gita? ;-) I was thinking the same thing... uncanny how you all found the thread right away!

This will be fun!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9370016

ROFL- Gita is in the wrong county! But of course she is welcome to ride with us. Hope Aina comes again though.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9370020

Pencil me in. Pencil it, don't carved it stone. Just got a nice little grow lamp setup this winter. It is a kit but I'm still anxious to use it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9370198

Geez!
You all are so impatient!! I am in the "B" County--so, naturally, that comes after "A"... HERE I am!
Anyone coming from the "C" (Cecil) County? Then--"D" for Delaware--Yooo Hooo Jan!

I had "more important" things to do today---like spend $$$ looking for after Christmas bargains.
Spent too many hours running around...
Now i am home--and chilling out. Have to work tomorrow...8-5. Grateful for the hours!

Of course i will be coming!!! With Sally and Robin and Coleup--the usual crew.
Just hoping Judy does nor wimp out this year. She is such a busy lady...bring your "Hon" too--Judy!
He can sit among the boxes of seeds in the back of sally's SUV--as we have all the "prime" seating...

Paul--Jill does not use pencils---she uses indelible, permanent, professional, fade-proof Sharpies.
No chance for you to renege once you been "sharpied" in... just kidding...but you will LOVE
this place and all we do. Jill is MOST proficient in all she organizes.

Running to my kitchen, as soon as I hit 'send' to put this on my calendar... Gita

Pictures from last year's seed swap...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9370239

Heehee, actually, I have to wait for N for NJ. Or S for Salem County.

I will check my schedule. Sounds like fun! I always have enjoyed the pics.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9370474

I have a total of seven seat belts in the van, there is a way back set of seats. But those in the way back might feel like the little kids back there. "Are we there yet??"
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9370487

Looks like Ric and I should be able to make that date.

Whoohoo! Short of a blizzard we'll be there. Ric

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 1:00 PM

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9370531

It's early to say a 100% yes - but, I will do everything I can to be there :)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9370543

Count me in too!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9370661

Pat (ecnalg) and I plan to attend. Terry, would you like a ride?

orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
4:14 AM

Post #9372938

I will be there too.Would not miss it this year.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9373122

Dare I ask you to pencil (or, every so lighty, indelible-marker) me in?... depending on school schedule. I saw what happened to Paul when he asked to be penciled in... I'm wearing my frying pan in the seat of my pants just in case. ;)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9373162

Wow, this is totally shaping up to be a great party!

Orchid, you just stay well this winter!

Speedie, would silver Sharpie suit you? I sure hope your school/study schedule is light that weekend.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013

Post #9373164

Speedie et al,

Please do not be reluctant to be penciled. chiseled, or sharpied in! I have been on the attendee list for all four of the Feb Seed Swaps since I joined and this may be the first year I actually appear in person!

The room at Chef Linn's can accommodate lots of people and the buffet is huge and for the entire restaurant, not just us...food is paid for by # consuming but, if a last minute cancellation funds can be sent to Jill "later" if any owed. Seeds can be mailed to individual requesters or via a 'seed fairy', so no one is left hanging per se...

Nothing bad has happened to me (yet, lol111) for my non attendance other than my missing out on the fun and fellowship. And there are the ever popular mini swaps for prior commitment conflicts!

Jill, if any of what I've said isn't so, please correct. Thanks and hope we all see each other soon.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9373169

Judy, that was all very well said -- thanks!

Once I know we'll have as many as 20 people, the back room is secured for our gathering. For planning, the more important number to me is to know the MAXIMUM number of people who might come, so if you think you might be able to make it, please let me pencil you in.

The Sharpie marker thing is just a joke, because I'm really fond of them for labeling and have offered them at discounted prices in the past (by ordering a big box that we can split).
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9373217

Jill, I'd love to come, but timing remains to be seen...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9373219

I always "pencil you in" mentally, Happy, unless you post you're definitely unable to make it. :-)

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9373225

Thanks, Critter! You know me so well...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9373271

Jill, I'm a "strong maybe" as well. Hopefully no broken bones this year I'll be able to drive this time!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9374038

LOL, silver sharpie works great, thank you! < =D I've got the date marked on my calendars in BLACK sharpie so I don't forget, but I'll pop an update in here if I learn that anything changes.

Ss, noooo, no more broken body parts please!!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9374045

If we were driving down to Florida for two weeks, we would probably stop in and have some fun with you guys, but we are flying and won't be available (really too bad). Maybe I'll see most of you at Jan's swap in the spring.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9374386

Count me & Bob in. Let's ptay for good weather!!!

Well, the seeds are ready for you good people to go through. I must say I am much more organized this year than years previous. Looking forward to Saturday. Button & Bobbin.

p.s. we are joining a gold prospecting club that meets in Frederick once a month and gets together to prospect in the DC metro area. They are finding gold and we are anxious for warmer weather.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 12:09 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9374701

Yay for Button & Bobbin!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9375531

LOLOLOLOL. Well-spoken Critter.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9375972

Oh boy, I'll get to meet more new people, Button and Bobbin! =)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9376072

[quote="critterologist"]Yay for Button & Bobbin![/quote]

That was very cute!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9376168

LOL, I'm sure Bob was delighted to hear he has an new "handle." But I couldn't resist when Judy wrote "... and Bob in."
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9376279

Bahahahahaha

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9381173

Jill, please count me in. Cannot wait to see everybody!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9388016

bump lest we forget

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9388034

Is there going to be a HAVE/WANT thread for the swap? I have some dahlia roots if anybody wants them. Need to go check if they are still any good 8-|.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9388402

DISCUSSION thread for the swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294098/

HAVE/WANT list thread for the swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294097/

Thanks for the bump & the nudge! i didn't notice until now that I didn't put an image up at the top of this thread for a thumbnail. No worries; I'll have links to it at the top of the threads with the snowy daffodils, so it should still be easy to find.

Spread the word!

Guests are welcome, whether they are new gardeners or "old hands." Kids, too, if they won't get too bored during the swapping/visiting part. (Joyanna is only 3 1/2, but she's never been bored at any event with people, and she's looking forward to swapping her own seed packs this year.) Chantell, I think you need to bring that nephew of yours. I'll find him something exotic from my stash.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9388688

Thanks Jill.
I went ahead and did my pinetree order.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9388690

Jill, where is the thread for directions?
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9388697

[quote="critterologist"]directions[/quote] No link, here!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9388734

Just found out that I 'might' be visiting my folks in SC for that 3 day weekend...if not I WILL be there with TD.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9388809

Judy, it'll be there, and so will the meal cost and other details... meanwhile, for driving time, you can just put "Frederick" into mapquest and be pretty close.

I did make sure we're on the calendar at Chef Lin on that day... they have another party setting up at 5 to arrive at 6, which gives us a "hard stop." I'll talk to Donna next time we're there and get the rest figured out.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9389022

Jill--

In that case--could we start an hour earlier?

From your memory--how long has it taken in the past that we are all totally DONE?
Walking out--leaving...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9389481

The latest I've ever left has still been before 4:30. No worries.

We'll see how many people we have coming as we get closer. Just the back room is fine with 20 or so, but as we get close to 30 it starts getting crowded during the "eating" part of the swap. I'm hoping for a big group this year (keep telling people!), and if so I'll talk to Donna about using the rear portion of the dining room for lunch and then moving to the back room at 1:30 or 2 for our swap party.

So don't worry about the logistics... I'm on it!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9391402

I hope to be there this year Jill so count me in!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9391432

Yay, Candee!
francine38
Falls Church, VA

January 22, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9393758

I would love to come, but my car is old--1991--and I do not go out when it snows--Frederick is also kind of far. If someone could give me a ride --I also would ask a neighbor if she is interested-- I would like to come--I live in Falls Church (Fairfax County, VA). I also have to learn a lot about planting from seed--- :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9393879

I hope that ride can be arranged!

Does your neighbor also need a ride, or would she drive you both is we can get her interested?

Are you near enough to a Metro stop to be able to get to a different Metro station that might be en route for somebody? (Shady Grove, I know, is at the end of the red line, and just a quick detour off 270N)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9394047

Hope you can make it francine! Its sure to be a good time.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9396353

If anyone who is attending this seed swap will be going to Jan's in May, please let me know so that I can tell Jill to whom she should give the paint pens that I will be ordering.

Thank you,

Teri
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9398331

We have a new thread up for a LILY GROUP BUY opportunity! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295595/

I hope to get a DAFFODIL / fall bub buy organized (same supplier) also... they'll have their fall availability list up in mid-Feb, and they said we can have free shipping when we order.

Also, I just got a note from Dusty at Texas Water Lilies. Turns out early Feb. is a *great* time to ship LOTUS (since they are dormant then), so if we hurry, we can get in a group order for wholesale prices on "BOWL" LOTUS, which can be grown in water garden pots just 2 or 3 gallons in size! We need to order 5 of a kind, and quickly, so Dmail me if you're interested and I'll send details. DG article on growing lotus (which are *hardy* for us!) is here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3338/ I would have these for delivery at the seed swap

Here's a link showing the color change in the bloom of 'Beautiful Dancer', a little lotus with classical form: http://tenmilecreeknursery.com/beautiful-dancer-p-297.html

edited to fix link

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 12:53 AM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9398659

Jill I tihnk your article link is here
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3338/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9398712

Thanks, Sally! Next mild day, I'm going to dig up some clay dirt (2-3 gallons for each bowl lotus plant) so I'm ready when they arrive. They can also be "floated" in a dish of water until they break dormancy, and then they must be planted. TWL site has great culture info, too. The wholesale price break is about $10 off retail, and even their retail prices are a lot lower than what we'd find locally. So I'm hoping we can do this!

I would want 2 each of 'Beautiful Dancer' and 'Wann Shou Hing' if those were the 2 we picked for a minimal order. (Both are "bowl lotus," that need only a 2-3 gallon no-hole container... I figure they are the easiest size to find a spot for.) That leaves 6 bowl lotus available. For pricing, figure about $13 each including shipping and a handful of TWL fertilizer tablets.

Here's a link showing the color change in the bloom of 'Beautiful Dancer', a little lotus with classical form: http://tenmilecreeknursery.com/beautiful-dancer-p-297.html

And here's the TWL page for their lotus: http://texaswaterlilies.com/lotusorderpage.html 'Wann Shou Hing' is also described as "color changing," so its blooms will open pink and then brighten to the white of its photo.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 12:58 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9400625

OK, it's looking like the bowl lotus might be a "no go," although if anybody is just seeing this, please Dmail me if you're interested.

However, just for kicks I thought we'd see about ordering some gladiolus from ADR bulbs, a group buy very similar to what we're doing with their lily bulbs. The "Mad for Glads" thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295852/
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9405570

Hello Mid-Atlantic Group,
Yes, Yes, Yes, I will be there. Daphne will too.
Thank You Jill for setting this up:) And for reminding me where to RSVP:)
Cheers!
Marlene

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9405573

yay!!!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9405658

Hi Marlene and Daphne! So glad you can make it!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9405873

Hooray -- another DC local!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9411342

*** TIME CHANGE ***

Chef Lin has a very busy afternoon, with a 200 person wedding reception starting at 3:30 as well as a dinner party at 6. Donna (the sweet and extremely accommodating owner-manager) asked if we could be out by 3.

The NEW TIME is from 11 to 3.

We will still start out in the back room, to put down our stuff and get name tags. I'll have "goodie bags" with names on them on a tray near the door of the back room... don't take yours until we all go back into the room after lunch! They also serve as "mail boxes" for people to drop seeds they've earmarked for you.

This year, we will go outside the room and use the tables in the rear of the restaurant for our meal. This should give us more elbow room, and I'm glad Donna was willing to let us try it this way.

By 12:45, we should be done with lunch and back in the room to play a game (being devised by our lovely Donner-Sally -- thank you!). Seed swapping will then continue until 2:55. By 3, we must be heading out the door! But since we've all figured on being in Frederick until 4, let's head out to Dutch Plant Farm where we can browse and keep right on visiting. (I will check to see if they will give us a "DG discount" that day as they have in the past.)

Duke vs. Maryland (men's basketball) is at 6 pm. Anybody who wants to hang out at our place and watch the game -- just LMK!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9411656

I will be babysitting that weekend, so I won't be there. Sorry to be missing all your bright, sparkly faces. I will be content to look at pics of the festivities. I am SURE you will all have a ball!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9411689

Jill, my hubby Mark is planning to come along and eat.

I would be happy to be the money collector again if you like.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
9:29 PM

Post #9411732

Thanks, Sally! Umm, I thought you had already offered, but if I volunteered you by editing you into the top post... then thanks for being a good sport! I'm looking forward to seeing Mark.

Jan, we'll miss you too!

So... somebody post to reassure me that you all saw the change in time for the party!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
3:17 AM

Post #9411778

I saw the changes.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9411840

Jill, I just sent a group dmail to the following

An individual copy of this D-Mail was sent to aspenhill, Buttoneer, Catbird423, Chantell, coleup, critterologist, donnerville, ecnalg, Gitagal, greenthumb99, haighr, happy_macomb, HollyAnnS, Jan23, Marlene4, orchidfancy, ROSES_R_RED, sallyg, speediebean, ssgardener, UMD_ terp. and Bec No Va.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9411968

Thanks, Coleup! I'll do a "blast" too, but with my folks visiting this week and my brother's family here over the weekend... might end up being Sunday night or Monday.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9411969

We saw it too.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9411970

:-)

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9411976

I saw the new time too, I hope I will be able to make it.

My BIL (I won't call him an ex-BIL) who is Anna's father has at most 4 weeks left. He had throat cancer last year, now the cancer is wrapped around his carotid artery. He is tired of fighting and hospice has been notified. I just hope he hangs on long enough for his mother to get here.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9412239

Oh Robin, I'm so sorry. Big hug for you and for Anna.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9412866

How terrible Robin, hope he can be at peace and without pain in his final days.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9412932

Sorry for that news, Robin. Hugs and prayers!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9412934

Robin---
You will be in my thoughts...So nice of you to not think of your BIL as "Ex"...
Love has NO divorce agreements...Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9413215

Very sorry for the sad news, Robin. You will be in my thoughts. Take care.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9415182

Yes Robin, So sorry to hear of your BIL's illness. Just a terrible disease.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9415522

So sorry, Robin. I hope you'll be able to come -- 'cause I pretty much need to hug the stuffin outta you, too!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9415756

UPDATE: I just put in an order for enough polymer moisture crystals to last until Joyanna goes to college... unless I share! I'll have a final price on them soon (when I know shipping), but we got an extra discount, and it looks like it'll be around $5 - $5.25/pound for the medium size (about the same size as "soilmoist" and other brands you'd find locally). That's an awesome price!) We'll have small crystals and powder available, too. I only got 2 pound bags of those, so we may be doling it out by the quarter-pound, and it'll be more than the medium. I ordered 10 pounds of the large size, as well, which I like for planting trees, shrubs, and other large perennials (I just mix a few in with the medium crystals). I like the small crystals for miniature violets and seedling flats. The powder makes a great "gel" for dipping/planting or wrapping/shipping bare root plants.

If you want to discuss any aspect of the moisture crystals in more detail, please start another thread for that so we can stay focused on the swap here.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9416882

I'll take 2 5 pound bags of the medium moisture crystals, Jill. Thank you.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
3:25 AM

Post #9417396

Hi guys!

Robin, I am so sorry to hear about your BIL, I will keep your family in my prayers! =(

I'm sorry to say I'm not going to be able to make it after all... without going into details, the kitchen is in COMPLETE disarray, half the cabinets are torn out, and DH is beside himself with BEING NUTS over putting it all back together again... Thought that getting a few new appliances would be a good thing... turns out it's been more work and headache and worry than expected, have to remodel darn near the ENTIRE room around that one Honkin'-Big refrigerator! Sheeesh, when it rains it pours! < =/ (and I couldn't possibly leave DH to fend for himself working on this while I go have fun... NOT FAIR!) < =/

I suuuuuure will miss seeing you guys!!! =(

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9417541

Darn! Speedie! I was looking forward to seeing you!

Now you will have to come to see me--maybe a bit later---right now you both have to
put back together that you took apart. I am sure the end result will be worth it.

Pictures please!!! Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9417588

Bring him along Speedie and feed him well at the Buffett.
Of course that comment comes from someone whose house is always in some kind of remodel mode. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9417891

I sure hope the dust settles there speedy!

I once attended a really huge party at a house where the whole living room was in 'taped drywall' theme LOL. And everybody had a great time.

One step at a time...it'll get there.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9420210

Please see this post (at top) for directions: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9369536
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013

Post #9421114

I had such a great time. Thanks everybody for the seeds, now if I can only figure out what to do with them. Lol. I guess I'll be shifting through the neighbors recycling this week.

if anybody picked up a packet of summer hill seeds Platycodon Hakone White $2.99 that's brand new I misplaced it. Please DM me. Jill found them under one of the chairs. Oops.

Happy sowing.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 5:23 PM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9421122

I really REALLY wanted to come today too, but MAN, this house is making us BOTH nuts. The bathroom is finally FINISHED, thank God... that's one thing off the "To Do" list. Wheee!!! We are not disorganized people, and disarray makes us very on edge. (Very thankful the appliance situation is finally straightened out, they all work, YIPPEE!)

Pics of the finished bathroom: I think they're pretty self-explanatory as the bathroom is quite small. The last pic gives a better close-up of the faucet... I really like these faucets!

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9421174

Speedy, I'm glad you at least got some progress on those projects if you had to miss the party for them!

Terp, I've got your seeds... will Dmail you.

WONDERFUL to see everybody!!! Thank you all for coming, for bringing such fun seeds and gift table items, and for making this another memorable MAGpye party!

I know I said "winter sowing" and "throw them in a milk jug" to at least one person who looked at me blankly... there's a whole forum on DG for winter sowing, and I wrote a couple of articles about it a while back, too. Forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/ WS 101: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/585/

I think I posted on the seed starting thread also that I did a series of "Seed Starting 101" articles on everything from light shelves to preventing damping off. There are links to the others at the bottom of this first one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/464/ Certainly there are lots of ways to successfully start seeds; this is just what works for me.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9421189

Well,we're home and a good time was had by all, with the exception of possibly Buttoneer. We will let everyone know how she is as soon as we get word. I almost grabbed the camera on the way out this AM, now I wish I had. It seems no one remembered one. I would have liked a pic of our " Little Princess." Ric
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9421201

Joyanna reports that she had a really, REALLY good time! You all spoil her shamelessly, and she loves it of course. Ric, you were so sweet to help her with her Bingo card... she did recognize a few of the photos, too! (Those were the ones that made her leap around shouting, "I won! I won!" LOL)

As usual, I put my camera in my purse... and then proceeded to forget I had it! I'm usually a pretty good picture taker, but not at events like this -- I'm too busy visiting & having fun!

I haven't heard anything from Buttoneer & Bobbin, but they could be there a while waiting on test results. They do have my phone number. I know I can't get any information from the hospital over the phone, but I might have Judy's cell phone number buried back in my Dmail somewhere. I'll look for it. I want to make sure Bob knows he can stay with us if they keep her for observation. For that matter, late as it's getting, even if they sign her out soon they might both want to stay the night with us before heading back.

When I said I'd just keep twisting her arm until the two of them agreed to stay over with us sometime... well, a dislocated shoulder wasn't at all what I meant!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9421211

speedie, your bathroom looks really sharp! It feels good to have a project DONE.

Yup, we sure wish Buttonneer hadn't taken a tumble. Still she amazes me for being a trouper in adversity.
Robin, or Holly? Remember that fuzzy Calathea we were looking at, at Dutch PF? Turns out that is what Buttonneer gave me- a little start of. Woo hoo! Thanks so much Judy! Hope your shoulder feels better soon.

Thanks everybody else for the seed and gift table generosity. Mark really liked the meal.

I'll post later with picture of the mini-Epiphyllum I got at DPF, after much mulling over clearance plants, and non clearance plants ..

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9421212

Hi all! I am So sorry I missed this, I've been miserable since yesterday, this back and forth with temps is not agreeing with me one bit! Jill, I'll just invite myself to your house in a few weeks when I'm done with treatments! ^_^

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9421215

We had a great time today and only wish that Judy had not had that tumble. So good to get to visit with everyone.

What a wonderful remodeling, Speedy. Very restful and elegant.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9421219

Bec, you've got a standing invitation, as you know... we'd have gotten together months ago if we hadn't seemingly been continuously sick with one form of "crud" or another... I'm glad you've kept your immune system strong through this ordeal!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9421222

I just looked back and I think our first Seed Swap at Chef Lin was in 2008. Can you beleive that? I think we took one year off during Jill's treatments...maybe? So this was our fifth one? WOW.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9421279

update on Judy / Buttoneer

I finally found her cell phone number and was able to reach her... they left the hospital about 5:30 and are on there way home. She promised the docs she would report promptly to the specialist at Hershey first thing Monday morning, so they sprung her.

She's OK. Sort of. Her head is fine, but she did dislocate and also break her shoulder. Ouch! She's still all "bummer!" about missing the lunch and the seed swapping & visiting afterwards. But she did stop by DPF beforehand, so she got a plant "fix" at least!

It was good to hear her voice. Still smiling... she's tough. And sweet. A rare combination!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9421283

I brought my camera too--and there it stayed in my purse, in my tote, under the chair.
Paul--I have the Bonsai Book you left behind. Will give it to you when i see you.

Down Memory lane from the 2009 Seed Swap...
Everyone got to meet Joyanna for the first time...

G.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 7:11 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9421285

I must be losing my mind. Thanks gita!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9421289

You're not losing your mind---
I think you were just overwhelmed by it all--too many women yakking...too much going on...

When we got back to Sally's--I got out of the car--then remembered I had left my neck scarf in the car.
Went to get that--then Mark said--"You forgot your purse in the back seat..." See? It happens...

I hope you will come to the Plant Swap at Jan's. It will be all different. Outdoors--good weather--
pot luck food--more Guys--and actual plants to look at.
You already know that--as you were at Sally's last year...G.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9421296

Oh, I'm *so* sorry to hear that Judy's shoulder is broken!

Judy, here's to a quick recovery!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9421312

Sounds like great fun! So sorry to hear about buttoneer's shoulder. Got back this evening after an overnight of babysitting. Kind of glad the older one was at a sleepover, cuz after only being home for an hour this afternoon she had things heading downhill. Glad momndad got home soon after that. Heehee.

Already looking forward to May. Thinking I'll wait til April to put up threads about it.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9421498

Good to see everyone again! Hope Judy recovers from that tumble sooner rather than later. Glad she was released and on her way home. I had a nice evening nap, and now I'm up and about sorting thru all the seeds. I picked up quite a few columbine and foxglove seeds - think I'll try the winter sowing method with them, and get them outside tomorrow. Love the strep from the gift table - thanks Marlene! Happy seed sowing!

Terri
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9421593

Terri-

That's funny. Columbine and foxgloves are pretty much the two things I picked up as well!! Lol. Yay Woodland gardens!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9421596

Ric and I had a great time. It was just so nice and such fun see you all again. We came home with some really nice seeds.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9421618

I had a fabulous time. I am very sorry to hear that Judy did so much damage to her shoulder, I can't imagine how painful that must be for her. She and Bob had their camera in a case and were prepared to do the photo shoot, but shoot that didn't happen. I'll just have to keep the memories in my noggin'!
Thanks to everyone for sharing such wonderful seeds with great explanations on what to do with them! Can't wait to get started. I do think I am going to try the poppys in the milk jug enmasse!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9421644

It was great seeing everybody. We had fun, but now it is time for planting :-) Can't waste the seeds, right?

Very sorry to hear about Buttoneer's shoulder. Hope she recovers soon.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9421799

ow ow ow...its gonna be a sling for weeks for sure...

Me too, getting seeds ready for wintersowing right away with this cccccold day. Step one make labels for all the seeds. THe thing that annoys me- getting into the seeding and going from label making, to dirt scooping, to seed sprinkling...I am tying to consolidate the tasks. Make labels, fill a bunch of pots or packs, then seed and stick label...hope it works that easy,

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9421862

Sally,

What seeds are you Winter Sowing? I tried it once--and never again.
Hated the milk bottles...but I know it would be nice to sow a perennial now--
and have it, actually, bloom the same year.
I may try some of the clear plastic, high-domed produce containers.
Would they work just as good???

I have some Columbine seeds in my fridge. Would they sprout if I planted them now
and put them under my lights?

Judy---
I actually saw you fall--I was a couple people behind you. You just went over like a Domino...
Right on your face.
I too hope your recovery is quick--as you will go nuts not being able to garden.
Not easy when yoy can only use one arm...

Best to you! Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9421984

Thank you for the labels, Sally! That takes a step out of the prep for me. :-) I've been trying to stick a label inside my WS container and also mark the outside of the jug. That way, I have a label that can stay with the plant... If I make a "real label" (metal marker) for it, then I bury the plastic label with the plant to give me another way to ID it (I can maybe find the name when I dig to divide). For me, labels aren't just a way to keep track of names... keeps me from digging where there's a dormant plant, or makes me realize that some little twiggy thing will eventually grow into a 5 foot shrub. OK, and also I like to know the names LOL.

THANK YOU also to those who must have put extra into Sally's envelope to treat us to lunch.

"Like a domino" ?! Really, Gita! Must disagree. A domino-buttoneeer would have taken haighr, bobbin, and several more down with her. Judy is much too kind hearted for that!

Gita, just so you know, most perennials won't bloom the year they are sown, even if you winter sow or start them ahead under lights. Your refrigerated columbine seeds might have had enough stratification (changes from cold to warm weaken the seed coat so it'll germinate), but if they don't sprout in a couple of weeks just put them into the fridge for a week or two (pot and all). Some people also swear by soaking them in peroxide water before sowing. There are a couple of columbine varieties (the "Music" series, maybe?) that will bloom the year they're planted -- if so, the commercial description of the seed will proclaim it loudly LOL.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9422060

I am "wintersowing" into fourpacks, or similar size individual pots. Perhaps breaking the rules, but my goal is to get them in moist soil and get them outside for the chill. Needs moisture plus chill for stratification, I have read.
So I filled one flat with packs and pots. SOme of these say they need it and others I am just going to see if they grow or not and be done with them.
Brent's perennial salvia
purple coneflower
anise hyssop
swamp milkweed
Verbascum
Scabiosa
BLeeding heart
Gaillardia dazzler
Campanula americana
Lobelia spicata

Well looks like two-3 pots each or some such.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9422130

Thanks, Sally.
What will you cover the WS flat with? or--will you leave it to be under the elements?

I think seeding in 4 or 6-packs is easier on the plants--as you don't have to take a dense batch of
seedlings and separate them .

Now that the Swap is over--I can start thinking about seed planting. A wee bit of each--
as I will not have room for all my heart desires. Alas...:o(

SO cold today! sitting here at work freezing! Every time a customer comes in the front door--
the cold air wafts right over the wall into the Phone Center.
An hour and a half to go...haave 2 more Time magazines to look through...how exciting...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9422156

I plan to cover loosely with a large plastic bag and put it in my shed on the nice cold cement floor. When they start sprouting...hm...I am thinking I will take the cells or pots as they sprout and sink them in sheltered nursery area in the garden, or sink them into larger pots. Last time I used cell packs it was hard to keep them from drying on the edges. Cell packs and small pots are so subject to the elements. I think 'size' is the aspect of milk jugs that makes them more stable. I could use milk jug bottoms as short term pots for these guys if WHEN they sprout.

Scratch Verbascum thapsus,, it is common mullein and I don't need to work for that. 5 cells to go...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9422167

Sounds like a DIY cold frame would be nice...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9422198

When they come out of the shed they can go under 'row cover' Maybe I'll sink the whole flat in one of my new raised garden beds made by filling last fall with leaves and manure. and cover with row cover. Maybe I should just do that now.
Not sounding very well prepared am I?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9422288

I started a thread for us to discuss a possiable trip to Mt. Cuba.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298702/
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9422474

just wanted to thank everybody for helping me get up off the floor at chef lin's. having never doing any damage to my shoulder before, it REALLY hurt. going to hershey tomorrow. yes, i was bummed out, going to try to find out why i fall. i think it has to do with the tia i had a couply years ago. so glad i got bobbin to take me to DPF. the hospital wanted to keep me overnight but i told then i would rather go to hershey so i am taking the disks and paperwork with me. again, thank you all so much. button.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9422490

Hi Judy, Just want to let you know I have your stuff and Ric and I will bring them out to you as soon as you feel up to having us out.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
3:38 AM

Post #9422645

Judy, OH DEAR!!! I'm so glad to hear that you got checked out and are (relatively) OK, but MY GOODNESS!! I will keep you in my prayers that you stay well on that road to recovery, and that you you are pain-free very soon! < =/ ((((HUG!)))) (but a careful one). =)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9422700

Judy, so glad to hear you are headed to Hershey, they are great there and will take good care of you. Hope you are free of pain soon!
Candee

Gonna try using paper cups this year to sow the seeds and will perhaps start them in another week. I always have a problem with starting too soon and they get leggy.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 7:56 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9422720

Judy: I arrived after you left -- so sorry to have missed you and of course even more to hear about your fall. I hope Hershey has good news.

Haighr: That's what I do too -- too many leggy seedlings...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9423993

We have a seedling sale at the AG Center on 4/27? When would you start seeds in paper cups? I am thinking next weekend??? Too soon, or late?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9424015

haighr.

I am struggling about the same thing. Last night, I got as far as sorting out all the seeds I WANT to sow.
I, sort of, tried to sort them into 4 categories.

--Winter sow--anything that I know to be a perennial or a biennial. NOT expecting these to bloom this year.
Not sure I will get to it...as I have not done this--just (once).. just trying to mimic Nature.

---Sow NOW--slower germinating/growing plants--daturas, Snapdragons, Angelonias, Parsley, Basil, etc
These are slow to grow once they have germinated. I categorize these just
from experience and "been there done that'...

--Sow beg. of March--(the 6 weeks before...) most veggies, Herbs, Zinnias, Marigolds, etc

--Direct sow--cukes. peas, etc...

Must put a disclaimer here--
I have NO scientific reasons to sort them like I did. Just my thinking...
I say this as others may take me to task---and-I am willing to listen and learn if I am wrong...
But hurry-------I will be starting to plant seeds end of this week.

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9424535

Gita, your groupings sound right to me
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9424759

badnews from hershey. surgery on 2/28, rotator cuff and fracture repair but they will do a good job. please keep me in your prayers. thanks, judy. :-p

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9424761

Will think about you--a lot! Hope all goes well with your surgery.
Hugs, Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9424944

Oh Judy, so sorry that this happened. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all is well soon.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9425184

So sorry to hear that Judy, but they are an excellent facility and will do a great job. I really am sorry I could not reach out and grab you from behind, it just all happened so fast, yet in slow motion. Hope you are up and running again soon and meantime will keep you in my thoughts.
Candee
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9425727

Praying for the surgeon and staff and for your good rehab. Looking forward to hearing a good report from you

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9425733

Buttoneer- that must have really hurt and I bet it still does! I'll be thinking of you too.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9425757

You will certainly be in my prayers Judy.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9425768

Ditto to all the well wishes above and a special prayer for what if anything contributed to this fall and its resolution. Once is more than enough. Special prayers for 'Bobbin' too as he is now the care giver of record! Keep us posted.

The other MAF Judy.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9426053

Oh buttoneer -- I'm so sorry, and I know the rehab will be demanding. Just a rotten turn of events for you. At least the worst of rehab will be during the cold winter months...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9426080

Holding you up in prayer!!!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9427150

thanks to you all. judy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013

Post #9431044

For anybody who got a few of those funny little oxalis tubers from me at the swap, I came across the list of what they might be (from Easy to Grow Bulbs, 20100. I'm pretty sure those came from a green-leafed pot (not Atropurpurea, Mijke, or Iron Cross), so they could be 'Fanny', Birgit', or 'Irish Mist'. You can probably tell which one when they bloom. They are tender, and you can keep growing them like a houseplant or let them go dormant over the winter. Just shove the tubers an inch or two down into a pot, water them, and they'll soon pop up.

I'd plant them with something else that has to be brought in but can be dormant over the winter (like a geranium or an elephant ear). As you can see, they can get really dried out and still (hopefully!) be just fine.

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9431062

Oh bummer that was me and I definitely didn't know they were tender. Ugh, oops.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9431296

Oops, did they get planted out somewhere in the "wild blue yonder?"

I thought there was a brief discussion of them on the other thread -- that the purple ones and 'Iron Cross' might be hardy in our area but the others are like zone 8 or 9...

For any that survive to bloom, we can probably ID them from their flower color.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9431299

Actually, if you pot the tubers up now in moist (not soggy) mix and put them in a warm spot, they could be showing themselves by St. Pat's Day!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9431312

Paul--

If it makes you happier--I can give you a 4" pot of the purple Oxalis...
I have several starts...G.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9431381

Well they are so funny looking I should be able to ID them in the soil. Now if I can only remember where I put them..

Gita, perhaps let's just see if I can find them and they are still viable. Thank you for the offer.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9431425

Jill, I grabbed a few of those oxalis tubers and potted them up the day after the swap. I labeled them oxalis 'Jill'. It might be nice to know what they REALLY are, but I think if they do sprout up I'll keep them labeled and think of them as 'Jill' anyway. I found some dried up 'Birgit' my basement "garden stuff" pile. I sorta remember going in with you on an oxalis buy a few years ago. I potted them up at the same time. Will be interesting to see if any of them grow.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9432059

Has anybody read Jill's article about seed swapping? What fun!!! :-)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1479/

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9432497

just a short note; surgery in 2 days. if i feel up to it, bobbin wants to take me to the york pa flower show this saturday. if the surgery goes well on thurs, they will let me go home on friday. and bobbin wants to take me to the jumbo chinese buffet in hbg to make up for what i missed out on the 16th. i never even thought of take out from chef lin. ha ha. button.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9432518

Hopefully you'll be feeling much better very soon after your shoulder gets set to rights!

ANY time you and Bobbin feel like making the drive down here, Joyanna and I will take you out to Chef Lin. "Take out" LOL. I can just see explaining to the ambulance guys that they needed to wait just a few minutes while we put together a lunch container for you. *roll eyes*

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9432778

Judy, I wish and hope and am sure that it will go well, hope you get to enjoy that lunch!!! Bobbin is a sweetie, isn't he?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9432833

Praying for a successful surgery, Button.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9432877

critter, bobbin wants to go to frederick once a month because there is a gold prospecting club there, 2nd friday of the month is the meeting and weekend after that is a gold prospecting get together so we might be going there twice a month and you might be seeing more of us. time will tell. judy.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9432912

You know I'd be delighted to see more of you -- it'd be fun to get to know Bobbin better, too!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9433842

Will be thinking of you Judy and pray the surgery and recovery go well and quickly! Bob and his gold mine, sure get you where you wanna go!

I think I'll call my little whatevers Jill as well. They remind me of tiny pine cones and I know exactly where they are, at the bottom of my "goodie bag"!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9433937

Buttoneer, you are in my thoughts and prayers today. too. Hope they spring you soon and your marvelous adventures can continue for you and Bobbin!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9433959

Hope the surgery goes well, Judy. Good luck to you.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9433968

Adding my well wishes too. Hope all goes well.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9434393

I hope we'll get some good reports soon, though I'm sure it will be a while before Buttoneer is up to typing...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9434410

I'd like to throw my change in the well full of wishes. Hope all is well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9434664

THinking of you today Judy

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9434673

Judy--I don't know how many surgeries you have had, but everything will turn out OK.
Trust the Dr.'s--they do good work.

I've had so many surgeries i feel like a "used car" that always has to go to the garage to have this and that fixed.
They fill a full sheet--typed!
I keep that in my Documents as all the Dr's always want to know what meds. you take,
and what surgeries you have had. I just hand them the sheets.

You are a tough cookie! I KNOW you will come out of this in tip-top shape.

Best to you--and a good recovery! Keep us filled in. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9434676

That's a wonderful photo, Gita -- the lilies look so perfect.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9434686

They just come up every year and bloom. I only have one clump.
They are one of my favorites. I have other colors too...

To me--ALL flowers have a beauty about them. They are all small miracles.

Gita

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9434889

I finally put some containers out. Got some of greenthumb99s seeds winter sown and buttoneers bachelor button. Moving along here slowly...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9435017

I am "playing around" with WS'ing. Did just a few different seeds. Used qt. size Sparkling water bottles.
Cut the top 1/3 off, put some soil in the bottom, sowed the seeds, and put the top 1/3 back on--cap removed.
I did some of my neighbor's Columbines (the ones I gave you, Paul), a couple different Gaillardias, some Portulaca,
and Alyssum.

Put them all outside against my house on the table. Kind of protected...
We shall see...we shall see...

Many of my other seeds I sowed on 2/21 are up--and now under my lights. That was fast!
I got a bunch of different Snapdragons from "Ibartoo"--they are up too-but so VERY tiny!
The stems look like threads. Not sure how to go about these???? Anyone?

Purple daturas are coming along--the yellow ones not so well. Only a few germinated. Whassup?

Sally--do your yellow ones come up slower? May be that the seed is a couple years old--
but i have read that Datura seeds stay viable for several years.

Spent most of the day rearranging all kinds of things so i will have room for sprouting seedlings,
baby AV's. all my CC babies. etc..
Wore me out--running up and down the steps all the time...16 total each time i go way down--
and come way up again. many, many times a day.
G.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9435261

Sounds like you got your exercise G! All the work will be worth it come spring!
Need to get some seeds started soon for the AG Center Plant Sale on 4/27. Will be one of my projects while studying to become a Master Gardener. I have already done a lot for the upcoming cut flower plant clinic in April and am finding this to be a lot of fun!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9435269

haighr -- it's fantastic that you are doing the master gardener thing! I hope you'll post about all your adventures.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9435273

Yeah wow a Master Gardener, way to give back!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9435356

Ric and I looked into the MG Program and were very interested in it but all the classes in our area seem to run in the fall just about the time we travel. You can't miss any (maybe just 1) of the classes or you are out of the program. So we couldn't take the classes at the time. They only take so many people and run the classes every other year so admittance to the program is limited.
Good luck with your endeavor.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
3:24 AM

Post #9436210

The MG program is great. It gives one an excellent framework of knowledge and understanding to unify all the random things we pick up in our gardening careers. I went through the program in Maryland, but when I moved to Loudoun County, Virginia they said I had to go through their whole training program to participate there. Maryland, or at least Frederick County, is/was more welcoming since they accepted folks from other jurisdiction's training. If one can work the program in, it is a great learning experience and an opportunity to associate with like-minded people. Kind of like a year-round plant swap combined with community service.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9436275

So far it has been a great learning experience. I was fortunate that the classes are weekdays on a day that I am not previously engaged.
I know what you mean about moving greenthumb. I asked the head of our extension and was told that as long as a person is up to date with continuing ed and lives somewhat locally, they can get into this program. However, if you are from another state or significantly different Zone then it may be a different story and you may have to retake the program.
I am going to be helping with the local plant clinic and the HCC Garden Show coming up and the big plant sale in April.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9439387

What is the benefit of having the MG certification, other than personal growth? That is, why does it matter if Virginia doesn't accept the Maryland certification?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9439488

Well, for Ric and I we wanted to apply for the personal growth, education, volunteerism and to meet new and interesting people with similar interests. A more active social life and more activities, we have since found that we seem to have plenty of both of those especially in the summer. Since it didn't work out for us to take the classes we are looking into different avenues, checking out the Garden Clubs in our area.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9439703

Right -- that is why I can't see that nontransferability of the certification would be such a big deal...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9439792

I think the non-transfer is because you need to be familiar with the specific locale in which you are volunteering. I would not need to speak about pine trees out in the desert southwest. I would need to learn about that particular environment which would mean a few courses to know enough to talk about it to folks in that area of the country. County to county is not such a big deal, but different areas of the country are.

I wanted to learn more and give back to the community more than just what I currently do. I do a lot with our local breast cancer awareness program, but wanted to do more in the way of garden activities and this was the prime opportunity with lots of areas of interest in all types of things to do. There is hands on gardening (I do a lot of that at home), presenting at events, plant clinics giving advice, helping with local activities such as plant and garden sales and shows and the list goes on and on.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013

Post #9439796

Haighr, I think the MG program is wonderful I hope you really enjoy yourself. I know that you have a lot to share.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9440008

The MG program sounds fantastic -- I'd love to do it some day.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9440078

I looked into the MG program for Loudoun county several years ago, but all the classes take place during the day. Will look into it again if and when I ever retire...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9440366

I hope to learn a lot and have fun at the same time and so far that is what is happening.
Aspenhill, keep checking with your program and ask some questions. Here in Washington county they offer weekday classes once a year and evening/weekend the next time. Perhaps you can get enough interested folks to add a class to yours???

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America