"Think Spring!" Seed Swap Sat Feb 16

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's that time of year again! Eating lunch with old friends and new, swapping seeds, and talking plants. I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon!

I'll add some details to this post later, but I wanted to start the thread so everybody had the date to pencil in on their new calendars.

Date: Saturday, February 16, 2013

PLEASE NOTE TIME CHANGE -- 1 HOUR EARLIER!

TIME: 11 am to 3 pm, we'll start the seed swapping around 12:45 or so, as we *must* be out by 3!

WHERE: Frederick, MD, Chef Lin Buffet (scroll down for directions)

WHAT: Eating Lunch and Swapping Seeds

WHO: DG subscribers and their guests (see list at bottom of post)

COST: $15

BRING: Extra seeds, either commercial or self-harvested. If you're going to split seeds into smaller packs, try to do that ahead of time, because it gets crazy! Most people bring a small item for the "gift table," which is sort of an expanded door prize thing that we like to do. Most of all, bring your enthusiasm -- we're going to have a great time!

If you've never been to a DG Mid-Atlantic event, don't worry... we are a fun and casual group. Everybody brings their extra seeds to swap & share (it's very useful to make up little labeled packets ahead of time), everybody visits and talks, and everybody goes home with a nice selection of seeds to try! I wrote an article that may give you an idea about how this event goes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1479/. This will be our fifth year for a midwinter seed swap here!

You may want to plan to come early so you can drop by Dutch Plant Farm, my favorite local nursery for winter visits. Joyanna's favorite bird, Pogo the Parrot, lives there. I wrote an article that has a lot of photos taken there, if you'd like an idea of what they are likely to have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/769/ If we're lucky, the truck will be back from FL by then with new plants. I usually manage to arrange a discount for our group on that day, so please be sure to ask for it at the register.

At 11 am we'll meet for lunch at Chef Lin, a local Chinese buffet that's one of my favorite Frederick restaurants.

First, we'll gather in the back room to get name tags and put our "stuff" down. I'll have a tray with bags for putting in seeds or little goodies for everybody (your name will be on the bag, but please leave it where it is until after lunch). There will also be a "gift table" set up as well as some tables/chairs where you can leave your seeds for the swapping part of the afternoon.

This year, we'll be eating our lunch *outside* the room, at the tables in the rear of the restaurant. This will let us all eat together but be a little less cramped than in the past. As always, people are encouraged to change seats after then make another trip to the buffet, so they get a chance to talk to different people during the meal.

Just before 1 pm, we'll change gears, maybe play a game before starting in on door prizes and seed swapping. If you have something you'd like to donate to the "gift table," please Dmail me or post that you're bringing something (so I know around how many items we'll have). Purchased items for the table should be under $5. If you got a pair of too-small garden gloves for Christmas, or you have a pretty grapevine wreath you're just done with, or you have an extra rooting vase or other container -- those are all wonderful gift table items!

We can get away with a few plants on the gift table, but "serious" plant trading will have to take place in the parking lot, or at my house for anybody coming over later.

We'll concentrate on seed swapping from 1 to 2:45 pm or so. Of course, seeds can be swapped outside of that time, and of course anybody who doesn't want to swap seeds can just keep chatting and visiting. It's an unusually busy day for Chef Lin, with a wedding reception and then an evening party after us, so Donna (the very accommodating owner-manager) needs us to be out of the back room by 3 pm. We can (and usually do, at least a few of us) continue visiting as we shop for bargains over at Dutch Plant Farm. If you want to come back to my place afterwards for the Duke-Maryland game (scheduled to start at 6), just LMK.

There's a seed swapping DISCUSSION thread as well as a thread for HAVE/WANT lists (one post per person, edit as needed). It's not necessary to make any arrangements ahead of time, but it can be useful to see what people have and what everybody's looking for.

The cost for lunch will be $15, including the tip and your choice of water, hot tea, or soft drink. Snow crab is an available option for several dollars more, but let's make it easy on Sally & on our waitstaff by skipping the snow crab, please. There's a lot of other seafood on the buffet -- sushi, steamed shrimp & mussels, clams/oysters on the half shell, fried fish/shrimp/scallops, and various hot dishes. The buffet also has everything from soups and stir-fries to fried chicken and mozzarella sticks... there's salad, fruit, and an array of desserts, including Hershey's ice cream and hot little fried doughnuts. The selection is remarkable, and even if you don't like Chinese food you'll find plenty of possibilities.

We will all be on one tab, so please bring $15 in cash to pay for your lunch. Give your money to Sally (the tall blond with the lovely smile) when you arrive.

I know some folks might be on tight budgets, and we've all been there. If the cost of the meal might keep you from coming, please Dmail me or Sally, and we'll get you covered. I don't want anybody to miss out.

Swapping of plants (with potting soil or dirt) that we can't bring inside can be done in the parking lot, maybe when we head outside at 3. I know it's not an ideal arrangement, but bear in mind this was meant to be a seed swap. :-)

Please post on this thread if you're interested in coming. It's useful for the restaurant (and for me!) to have an approximate head count.

If you can't come but still want to swap seeds, please post here or on the seed swapping thread to ask somebody to volunteer to be your "seed fairy." You can post have/want lists, send your seeds and return postage to your person, and they'll send your seeds to you after the swap.

I had a blast at our previous seed swaps, and I'm so excited about this year's gathering!

THINK SPRING!

:-)

~ Critter (Jill)

This message was edited Feb 7, 2013 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Prospective Party People

Jill (critter) & Joyanna & Jim
SallyG & Mark
Catbird
(Coleup, via seed fairy)
UMD_Terp
Gitagal
Holly & Ric
Bec_no_VA
aspenhill
greenthumb99
ecnalg
orchidfancy
(speediebean, via seed fairy)
ssgardener
buttoneer & bobbin
donnerville
haighr
Marlene4 & friend Daphne
Theresa & Tom (Jill's friend & her bro)

DISCUSSION thread for swaps, trades, group buys: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294098/

HAVE/WANT lists: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294097/

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 1:38 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

* * DIRECTIONS * *

The restaurant is in Prospect Plaza, at 417 S. Jefferson St,near a nest of interchanges where 15, 340, 40, and 270 all come together. This makes it both easy to get to from different directions, and hard to describe, but these directions worked well last year, LOL. McDonalds is at the front of the Plaza, easy to spot. Chef Lin is toward the center of this strip mall.

Combine these directions with a look at the map! (I failed to get a link... type 417 S Jefferson Frederick, MD into google, but don't try to follow the really confusing step by step directions, just use it for a map)

From the north, coming down 15 South. Get off at the Jefferson Street exit, turning LEFT (going east). Cross over the highway, and Prospect Plaza will be immediately on your LEFT (turn LEFT at the light).

From the south, along 15-340 North (the two highways merge together just south of Frederick): Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Keep left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From the south, along 270N (coming up from the DC beltway): Get off at the Jefferson Street exit and turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the east (Baltimore), you'll be on 70 West. Take exit 53b, 15 North. Take the first exit onto Jefferson Street. Turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the west: you'll be on 70 East. Take the exit for 15 North. You're now on 15-340. Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Stay to the left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn left at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From Dutch Plant Farm, at 151 Baughmans Lane. Turn LEFT onto 40 East. Take the first RIGHT onto 15 South. Take the first exit, Jefferson Street. Turn LEFT onto Jefferson Street, cross over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

I'm not sure if we have our "usual" 10% discount at DPF this year or not, as I didn't hear back from Mike this week... but ask at the register. Their selection isn't quite as good as usual right now but still impressive, and pruners are 35% off (making them a reasonable price and who knows, maybe the perfect pruner for you awaits).

Dutch Plant Farm is off "the Golden Mile," highway 40, W Patrick St. At the corner of 40 and Baughman's Lane, there's a shopping center with a JoAnn's. DPF is just behind the shopping center. Coming from 15 onto 40W, you'd turn RIGHT at the first light onto Baughmans Lane and then take the 2nd entrance on the LEFT into DPF. (The 1st left is the side entrance into the shopping plaza.)

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 6:34 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

WAAAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOO!

Come heck or high water I'll be there!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I will be there with Sally! (OK Sally?)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Me. too!

Ok Sally and Catbird?

Of course!!!! Cat and Cole (Must be some alignment of planets thing going on here...lol-- all of us AACo being first on the thread together!)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So, where's Gita? ;-) I was thinking the same thing... uncanny how you all found the thread right away!

This will be fun!!

ROFL- Gita is in the wrong county! But of course she is welcome to ride with us. Hope Aina comes again though.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Pencil me in. Pencil it, don't carved it stone. Just got a nice little grow lamp setup this winter. It is a kit but I'm still anxious to use it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Geez!
You all are so impatient!! I am in the "B" County--so, naturally, that comes after "A"... HERE I am!
Anyone coming from the "C" (Cecil) County? Then--"D" for Delaware--Yooo Hooo Jan!

I had "more important" things to do today---like spend $$$ looking for after Christmas bargains.
Spent too many hours running around...
Now i am home--and chilling out. Have to work tomorrow....8-5. Grateful for the hours!

Of course i will be coming!!! With Sally and Robin and Coleup--the usual crew.
Just hoping Judy does nor wimp out this year. She is such a busy lady.....bring your "Hon" too--Judy!
He can sit among the boxes of seeds in the back of sally's SUV--as we have all the "prime" seating....

Paul--Jill does not use pencils---she uses indelible, permanent, professional, fade-proof Sharpies.
No chance for you to renege once you been "sharpied" in........ just kidding....but you will LOVE
this place and all we do. Jill is MOST proficient in all she organizes.

Running to my kitchen, as soon as I hit 'send' to put this on my calendar....... Gita

Pictures from last year's seed swap......

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee, actually, I have to wait for N for NJ. Or S for Salem County.

I will check my schedule. Sounds like fun! I always have enjoyed the pics.

I have a total of seven seat belts in the van, there is a way back set of seats. But those in the way back might feel like the little kids back there. "Are we there yet??"

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like Ric and I should be able to make that date.

Whoohoo! Short of a blizzard we'll be there. Ric

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 1:00 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

It's early to say a 100% yes - but, I will do everything I can to be there :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Count me in too!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Pat (ecnalg) and I plan to attend. Terry, would you like a ride?

College Park, MD(Zone 7a)

I will be there too.Would not miss it this year.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Dare I ask you to pencil (or, every so lighty, indelible-marker) me in?... depending on school schedule. I saw what happened to Paul when he asked to be penciled in... I'm wearing my frying pan in the seat of my pants just in case. ;)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, this is totally shaping up to be a great party!

Orchid, you just stay well this winter!

Speedie, would silver Sharpie suit you? I sure hope your school/study schedule is light that weekend.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Speedie et al,

Please do not be reluctant to be penciled. chiseled, or sharpied in! I have been on the attendee list for all four of the Feb Seed Swaps since I joined and this may be the first year I actually appear in person!

The room at Chef Linn's can accommodate lots of people and the buffet is huge and for the entire restaurant, not just us...food is paid for by # consuming but, if a last minute cancellation funds can be sent to Jill "later" if any owed. Seeds can be mailed to individual requesters or via a 'seed fairy', so no one is left hanging per se...

Nothing bad has happened to me (yet, lol111) for my non attendance other than my missing out on the fun and fellowship. And there are the ever popular mini swaps for prior commitment conflicts!

Jill, if any of what I've said isn't so, please correct. Thanks and hope we all see each other soon.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Judy, that was all very well said -- thanks!

Once I know we'll have as many as 20 people, the back room is secured for our gathering. For planning, the more important number to me is to know the MAXIMUM number of people who might come, so if you think you might be able to make it, please let me pencil you in.

The Sharpie marker thing is just a joke, because I'm really fond of them for labeling and have offered them at discounted prices in the past (by ordering a big box that we can split).

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, I'd love to come, but timing remains to be seen....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I always "pencil you in" mentally, Happy, unless you post you're definitely unable to make it. :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Critter! You know me so well....

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, I'm a "strong maybe" as well. Hopefully no broken bones this year I'll be able to drive this time!

LOL, silver sharpie works great, thank you! < =D I've got the date marked on my calendars in BLACK sharpie so I don't forget, but I'll pop an update in here if I learn that anything changes.

Ss, noooo, no more broken body parts please!!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

If we were driving down to Florida for two weeks, we would probably stop in and have some fun with you guys, but we are flying and won't be available (really too bad). Maybe I'll see most of you at Jan's swap in the spring.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Count me & Bob in. Let's ptay for good weather!!!

Well, the seeds are ready for you good people to go through. I must say I am much more organized this year than years previous. Looking forward to Saturday. Button & Bobbin.

p.s. we are joining a gold prospecting club that meets in Frederick once a month and gets together to prospect in the DC metro area. They are finding gold and we are anxious for warmer weather.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 12:09 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yay for Button & Bobbin!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

LOLOLOLOL. Well-spoken Critter.

Oh boy, I'll get to meet more new people, Button and Bobbin! =)

Quote from critterologist :
Yay for Button & Bobbin!

That was very cute!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, I'm sure Bob was delighted to hear he has an new "handle." But I couldn't resist when Judy wrote "... and Bob in."

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Bahahahahaha

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, please count me in. Cannot wait to see everybody!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

bump lest we forget

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Is there going to be a HAVE/WANT thread for the swap? I have some dahlia roots if anybody wants them. Need to go check if they are still any good 8-|.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

DISCUSSION thread for the swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294098/

HAVE/WANT list thread for the swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294097/

Thanks for the bump & the nudge! i didn't notice until now that I didn't put an image up at the top of this thread for a thumbnail. No worries; I'll have links to it at the top of the threads with the snowy daffodils, so it should still be easy to find.

Spread the word!

Guests are welcome, whether they are new gardeners or "old hands." Kids, too, if they won't get too bored during the swapping/visiting part. (Joyanna is only 3 1/2, but she's never been bored at any event with people, and she's looking forward to swapping her own seed packs this year.) Chantell, I think you need to bring that nephew of yours. I'll find him something exotic from my stash.

Thanks Jill.
I went ahead and did my pinetree order.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images