Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Books, Movies, and TV: I got a new Kindle

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 5, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9369593

I am reading Pride and Prejudice. There are hundreds of free books to choose from and I am looking forward to reading more of Dickens. Pride and Prejudice is about the upper class, the "landed" wealthy in the most chic of English Countryside. Even those who are doing well are not good enough for the aristocracy. Lots of talking, gossiping, ploting, and trying to finagle the best man with "means." Women were not considered accomplished if they could cook, sew, do all sorts of needlework and read. They had to learn a musical instrument, or sing or at least write poetry. Overcoming these prejudices but marrying well is the goal of the heroine, Elizabeth, but she is determined to find someone without all those pretentions and someone who is companionable.
Despite the fact that it is a book of manners, both good and bad, it holds you to see who gets there just desserts and who is just plain lying.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9605771

I've gotten LOADS of freebees on my Kindle (by the way, are you still loving yours?), but believe it or not, that is one I have yet to read. Yikes!! I just LOVE my Kindle, I don't leave home without it. Now one can "borrow" books for free on it if he has a "Prime" membership with amazon, and there are so many tons of freebees to enjoy. There are also some cool games you can get on it too. I'm totally hooked on the word game "Thread Words"... it was a freebee too! =)

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9608685

Yes, I am still enjoying mine. I also pick up books for a buck or two at the library's sale or the University Women's club (I can't think of the whole name of that group). My spousal unit and I get several magazine subscriptions too. We haven't found a good science one we like since Discover was sold and is now a disappointment. So we get the New Yorker, Time, Wildlife in North Carolina and sometimes Southern Living.
I enjoy sitting on my deck and reading but this year we have had so much rain that the deck is covered with green algae. I will have to scrub it with a chlorine solution.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2013
2:40 AM

Post #9609121

So glad to hear you are still enjoying your Kindle. I've not checked into any of the subscription offers that are available, but I wonder if there are any organic gardening options on there. Might that interest you?

My deck needs a good cleaning as well, but thankfully the rocker-bench is still in good repair... now it just needs to cool down enough to be enjoyable out there. =)

Thanks to you, I am now nearly 50% into Pride and Prejudice. My goodness but what a cackle of stupid twits!! And in case there are any lurkers reading this, who have not read that yet, I won't say any more. ;) ... other than to say, my favourites thus far are Mr. Bennet and Elizabeth -- in that order.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9609382

lol "cackle of stupid twits!"

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9610283

Heeheeheee, well... I thought the description fit. ;) I am now finished with it, and I stand by my description, and my choices of favourites.

Note to self: Make more dinners that include a sauce requiring nothing more than constant gentle stirring; it makes for pleasant reading time. =)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America