Photo by Melody

Beginner Houseplants: How to encourage growth for Alocsia ?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 9, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9370254

I have an Alocasia ( Alocasia amazonica to be more precise ). and its a great little plant, picked it up from our local Walmart back in the spring of this year. It had some ragged looking leaves on it, which i clipped off (which was quite a lot of them actually). It shot up a few more leaves afterwards, but after that, there has been no sign of new growth at all. I have checked to see if it was pot bound, or if there was something lurking down in the plant or soil, but all seems ok. any way i can get this guy growing some more? what few leaves it has makes it look a bit scraggly. Thanks.

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9370281

those bulbs and elephant ears love moisture. so try to keep the soil consistently moist. but since it's winter maybe the plant is just waiting for spring? you will probably see the growth kick in towards the end of winter. it looks healthy anyway

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9370536

thanks. it stopped all new growth i would say about mid summer. You are probably right about the winter time, seeing as the sunlight is not as strong. I have it setting beside a pot of Peperomia and a plumosa fern to help hold the humidity nearby it

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9370595

During the winter especially, barely damp is the order of the day - never wet. Day length and temperatures are both acting in concert to move your plant toward something of a predictable dormancy. As we move past the vernal equinox, when day length becomes longer than the dark period, your plant will start to respond to the increase in photoperiod. Keep it in a warm, very bright spot then, but not near a heat vent.

If it stopped growing in summer, you may have some issues. You're sure it wasn't root bound? Other possibilities are too little fertilizer (they're N hogs - but you don't want to go overboard by adding a lot of fertilizer salts in the winter) or insufficient light. Where they naturally occur, they like lots of water. In containers, they like a well-aerated soil you can keep evenly moist, not soggy. I mentioned that twice because it's rather important.

Al
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9370747

that too :o) and it's good that you are keeping the houseplants together to keep them happy and form something like a "microclimate" . don't you just love cliques, haha!

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9370894

thanks for that great info tapla.

i was always told that the way to see if something was pot bound was to look at the drainage holes and see if you see roots sticking out / covering up the holes. all i see is just the soil.

The plant stand IS near a heat vent, but truthfully i keep it closed up because with my window in my room facing south, it can get hot in here with barely any effort.

I do admit that i didnt know that they are "N. hogs" as you call them, lol, i have just been using the balanced "10-10-10" type of fertilizer.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9371246

When they are actively growing, 24-8-16 or 30-10-10 are good fertilizer choices. I use 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers for all my plants except tomatoes and hibiscus - that's ALL plants. Other 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers are the 24-8-16 I mentioned, 12-4-8, and what I use - Foliage-Pro 9-3-6. I use it for several reasons. It has ALL the essential elements plants need for normal growth (including Ca and Mg, which are usually missing in soluble fertilizers); The main nutrients are supplied in the average ratio at which all plants use the nutrients and in a correct ratio to each other; it supplies most of it's N in nitrate form, which helps to keep houseplants compact, and from stretching out in low light.

One of the first symptoms of tight roots is lack of extension (slow growth). As I guide, if you can lift the plant from the pot with the entire root/soil mass intact, the plant needs repotting - which is different than simply potting up.

Al

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9372882

thanks, im going to have a look for that Foliage Pro that you use. :)

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9373241

... not easy to find, other than at hydro shops or online ... but it's worth looking for or ordering.

I'm thinking you might find reading the sticky thread at the top of this forum to be helpful.

Al
vance2804ibr
Hartsville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9373723

You can get foliage pro from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181052927978

Good seller and cheap shipping.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America