-
AuthorContent
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9370576

My DH found a $249 6 x 8 greenhouse from Harbor Frieght with a roof vent & sliding door. I think the aluminum looks kind of flimsy he thinks its a great deal! Has anyone had any doings with this company??

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9370586

I don't know about greenhouses, but their tools aren't worth the time it takes to order them.
Try www.farmtek.com
Their business is mainly greenhouses.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9370587

A few tools , not that bad, some like the company ,some do not, same as most... I think i have seen the same greenhouse for $189 on sale. watch a while.. I don't remember where I saw that a short a while ago, I browse a lot..
A lot of things seem not as good as could be these days aka "cheap"

Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9370737

Harbor Freight sells a lot of greenhouse kits because their prices are so low. You can find lots of people with experience with them and many threads about them over in the Greenhouses forum. The Harbor Freight greenhouses are somewhat flimsy, but some people have found ingenious ways to improve them. Others have had bad experiences, like assembling it only to have a wind storm destroy it.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9370767

Check out youtube " HFGH" you will find several there, I have talked to seveal people who have them.. Some with promblems but they have worked them out. I also saw the special in the new flyer today and am also very seriously thinking of getting one.. Good luck to you let us know.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9371050

TRUTH IS that is a good deal ... IF you want a better frame ? Try scrap yard or some one you might know that scraps Metal Old steel bed frame angle iron or steel or old sliding glass door frames make you A heck of a frame' That with a old glass door (or a new one ,all things optional)
Draw it on paper , you will see , it is not any less expensive but makes one heck of a frame

IF you don't like using a drill try fiberglass with the cloth , that you have to seal though...

We threw a plastic bag over an angle iron frame once years ago , cut that in to place, locked it down with sealing tape and used old zippers for windows. Plastic had to be replaced every few years though , it still only a couple dollars at the dollar store (sounding cheap aren;t I?)
The point really being You can build anything anyway on a frame made that way, If you wanted to stretch the cost over a time, you can do that ,,optional ideas you can do that, but the frame is more solid than most houses that way.. That I believe was the point you were making...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9371052

It is not that I am believing you will run right out and try any of this but these days I would use "quick steel" putty to assemble that , With a plastic glove. That is used for repairing armor , You could put a frame together in a half an hour using that ... It dries like steel in five minutes and it doesn't smell as bad as fiberglass either.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 31, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9371229

I don't know about the VA weather but do keep in mind the wind. My GH kit is supposed to hold up in winds up to 40 mph. It has popped a few window panel clips but they're easy to put back in. I did temporarily lose a panel at first during a storm. In fact, we bought extra clips so we have twice the number that came with the kit and I haven't lost a panel since. And the GH is bolted to 6 x 6 solid composite landscape timbers that aren't going anywhere. The price sounds enticing.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9371239

I'd suggest going and poking around in the Greenhouse forum here. I know there have been discussions there of the HF greenhouses. When I first saw the price I thought for sure it was too good to be true to get a greenhouse for that price with the double wall polycarbonate (anything else like that is at least 3x the price), but people seem to have generally had good experiences with them. I believe they are somewhat painful to put together (google for instructions online rather than trusting what comes with it) and may need some small modifications for best performance but all in all it's a decent greenhouse and you won't beat the price.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
11:44 PM

Post #9372904

My daughter bought this greenhouse last fall. My son-in-law had to do a lot to make sure it didn't blow away. She bought it from HF, I think. It is flimsy but it has stood high wind because of the reeinforcement. I think it is 6 x 8 foot or 10 ft. That size heats up real quick in the summer so shading on the west side is a must. She used a standing fan during this past summer. She uses it to start her veggie plants in the spring. Not a greenhouse to heat economically.

Whatever greenhouse one buys, alway build it so the long side runs north to south. That way less hot spots from the sun as it moves across the sky.

Edited to add that the photos was taken day after my son-in-love finished putting it up last fall. The sliding doors is not on yet.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 12:47 AM

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America