Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Help. What is this thing?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 334, Views: 3,971
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

December 30, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9370664

Hi. I found this weird thing hidden under the leaves of a Beaucarnea recurvata in my greenhouse several months ago. I dug it up carefully (no roots to speak of) and potted it up. It's about 3 inches tall and about the size of a thumb. It's very soft and spongy to the touch. It has no spines and no branches and has not shown any real changes at all since I discovered it. I live in Tucson, Arizona. Does anyone know what the heck this is???? Thanks. Linda

Thumbnail by lindafrew   Thumbnail by lindafrew
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9370972

Alien lifeform?
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

December 30, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9371012

Could it be a rhizome of some sort? Was it attached to the palm? Or on the soil?
nel5397
Groveland, FL

December 31, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9371324

could be a cocoon of a moth or butterfly.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9371398

Are those tiny rootlets on the underside?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9371504

I don't think it's a plant-part. Reminds me of a carpet dust bunny. Can the surface be scraped away to show the green surface?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9371557

This just gets weirder. I just realized we are talking about in a pot with a pony tail palm.
If it's a bug cocoon, well that's creepy, and I hope for your sake it doesn't hatch.
If it grows a mouth and starts speaking in a strange tongue, remove it from your house immediately.
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

December 31, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9371626

Hi. Love all your answers. Thanks. It has a soft, very short kind of fuzz on it that, with only light scratching, does not go away. When first discovered, it seemed to be attached to a volunteer Oxalis (or Shamrock, if that's different), because it moved if I yanked on the green vegetation, but I've been told it could not be any part of such a plant. The little rootlets are what remains from the volunteer plant. After several weeks inside, the "thing" remains soft and green and COULD be growing a bit, but no leaves or anything common like that. It has nothing to do with the Beaucarnea, I'm sure of that. I would assert that it is plant material, but from what planet, I'm not sure. Should I call NASA? I do not believe it is transmitting any radio signals! Linda
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9371631

You know, it is sounding more and more like the pupa or cocoon of some sort.

On the other hand, have there been any UFO sitings lately?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9371645

You know what it reminds me of . . . a dorstenia. It will grow roots and a some leaves if that's what it is. They are real drought tolerant and don't like to be wet. I have mine planted in like 90 percent pumice and it likes it that way. It's a possibility. Mine has lost almost all of it's leaves due to neglect (other houseplants just haven't needed to be watered) and looks pretty much like your green slug stick only they are much taller. It could also be some other caudis forming plant.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9371652

Some Oxalis do have large roots in that shape but without the fuzz. If it were me, I'd take the pruners to it and cut it in half. But that's just me. I've seen old stems that, at one point, were green and shrunk but it doesn't look like it broke off from anything. If it's dead, you're wasting valuable potting space. Call it Area51 for the moment.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9371709

I thought it was a caterpillar, too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9371839

Linda---

Here are the bulbous parts that Linda was refering to. These grow underneath the small brown corms on the Purple Oxalis.
I had never seen this before! It really blew me away! So weird! But--I had the Oxalis planted in a heavy clay W-Box
with really good soil in it- and I think it just went to town.
When freshly dug up, these large roots seem almost translucent. Then they dry and get a dull appearance.

You said it was attached to an Oxalis. It COULD be possible??? The fuzz could just be a fungus growth/covering
that may be thriving on the soil around this root. just guessing here...

Anyway--this is my contribution. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9371841

Gita, I think you are right - you can see on the OP's images, where leaves would be attached.
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 1, 2013
4:10 AM

Post #9372020

Oxalis carnosa? Looks right.

http://www.cactusedintorni.com/images/phocagallery/succulente/oxalidaceae/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_oxalis-carnosa3.jpg

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 5:11 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9372053

Thank you Gita...I have been wracking my old brain since I first saw this thread...I knew I had seen something similar before.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/potd/2008/05/oxalis_tuberosa.php

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 1, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9372187

Hi. You are doing great and you're funny and informative, but I just don't think we've hit it on the head yet. I do know some about butterfly cocoons and such and it's nothing like that. It doesn't look like the roots of an Oxalis, as photographed in this thread. I'm a Dorstenia lover myself and don't see it as being of that genus. Never seen a fuzzy Dorstenia before. So far, the closest thing I've seen is a Pseudolithos (but I know that can't be it). That plant does not have the fuzz and it's much thicker and bumpier (unless my "thing" grew tall due to deprivation of natural sunlight). Tell ya' what I'm going to do... I'm going to dig it up and take a photo of the whole thing later today.

Thumbnail by lindafrew

lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 1, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9372337

A photo of the whole weird thing, as promised. Now that it's out of the ground, I'm 99% sure it's plant matter. It has roots (note the fuzz!). As I'd mentioned, I had some suspicion that it might be related to a small volunteer shamrock/Oxalis that was growing next to it when it was discovered. I'm leaning even more that way now. If you look closely, you can see some shriveled up little leaves on one of the roots/stems. In life, these were very tiny shamrocks (rounded leaflets, not triangular in shape), and quite green. They died back several months ago, as is the custom with this genus of plants (I guess). Are we getting anywhere, my plant friends?? This is so much fun!! lf

Thumbnail by lindafrew

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9372708

Could that be an immature or a failed truffle , or family there of?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9372763

Here's a wild guess------

Your "thing" is upside down. The top has been inside the pot--and the bottom of this "root" is what you
photographed in the first post.

Because your dug up "thing" shows roots emanating from it from the bottom--with vestiges of dried up Oxalis stems and leaves---
it is possible that, somehow, the Oxalis plant got turned upside down when you dug it up and planted it.

Assuming that the bottom has been the top---and that top was attached to the corm the Oxalis grows from---
it is very possible that the roots would have come from the top (now what you think is the bottom).
That would explain the withered remnants of the stems and leaves.

And----the mystery thickens...only the Garden Faery knows for sure...I am starting to love this...

I will pass the link to this Thread on to all my Pals at the Mid Atlantic Gardening---we have all kinds of experts there...
and we will all get some new perspectives on this.

Brace yourselves! Gita

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9372776

Echinocereus this family referred to as sponge cactus , the truffle which is completely out of place ,only not impossible .
Or perhaps an asparagus family (common name)
I lean towards the first ;small immature ,under developed, because of the description , Those did not get the name "sponge cactus" for no reason..

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9372930

Juhur, I was thinking along those same lines at first thought as well... "some sort of" cactus. Saguaro, perhaps? Those do start out under "nurse" trees or shrubs, preferring some sort of protection while they are still very young and spineless. I don't know if the "Ponytail Palm" would be considered a usual "nurse" plant for it, but... just a thought.
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 2, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9373070

Well, my Friends. The discussion goes on. Gita, I understand that you might think that I transplanted it upside down, but it was the odd, spongy thing that caught my eye, so I can verify that that was the end that was up, but it did have those little rootlets and some tiny shamrock leaves around it. I live in Tucson, AZ, so have seen hundreds and hundreds of baby cacti. I think I can rule that out, but I will check out sponge cacti. Truffles and asparagus, I know NOTHING about. Gita, I'm glad you're passing this on. It's become an obsession with me and I can see it's attracted the interest of other fine plant people. Happy New Year to all.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9373078

I'd rule out asparagus. Here's a photo of them just emerging from the soil and they grow fast. No hairs, no roots to be seen above the ground. Very smooth!

Thumbnail by pirl

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9373111

That was meant to imply "asparagus fern" Not truly asparagus family ,lily family I believe, Some have that look . Sorry if I confused any one
It is difficult enough as it is...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9373117

Mmmmmm Pirl, that asparagus looks yummy already! =)

OK, here's another idea; Pedilanthus macrocarpus (Lady's Slipper).. maybe? I've yet to find a pic of one the same size as your "visitor", however, on this site: http://public.fotki.com/panoss/euphorbiaceae-pages/pedilanthus-macrocarpus-/pedilanthusmacrocarpus5.html I found a pic of one that looks pretty darned young. (photo attached, credit goes to the above mentioned site).

I'm also glad that Gita shared this, maybe with all of us losing our marbles we'll be able to help you! < =D (or, we could just all have a cuckoo party together!) =)

Thumbnail by speediebean

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9373120

Too late, now I'm hungry for asparagus and it's all your fault! < =P heeheeheee
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 2, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9373149

Asparagus does sound good, doesn't it, speediebean! Well, I have Pedilanthus and they do have a little fuzz, but I'd have to say 'probably not' to that suggestion too. This thing is about the size and thickness of a big ol' ugly thumb. Is there anything else I could do to help ID this thing short of cutting it up? I don't want to do that. It might SCREAM!! There's a horticultural extension service (U of Arizona) here in town, but they've never been too helpful when it comes to plants that are not of the common flower and veggie types, so I haven't gone there yet.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9373150

Echinocereus I still think this , right down to the fuzz..
"LADY FINGERS CACTI"
They do not grow needles until later if at all, and they are all fuzzy at some point .similar ) as to which one) Bump...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9373189

juhur7 wrote: That was meant to imply "asparagus fern" Not truly asparagus family ,lily family I believe, Some have that look . Sorry if I confused any one
It is difficult enough as it is...

"Asparagus fern" and asparagus the vegetable are both genus Asparagus--just different species (and you're correct, they are in the lily family)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9373199

Don't cut it up yet, Linda. As I mentioned further up the thread, I have seen these before. I have a call in to my friend, an assoc. professor/Horticulture at LSU. He is unavailable right now, but left him a message to call me. Even though it has been years since I found the "mini cukes", I am fairly sure Dan will remember. If necessary, can I copy your images posted above to e-mail to him?

Moon

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 9:24 AM
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 2, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9373205

Hi, moonhowl. Surely, use the photos. Hope your friend Dan can ID this thing. A mini-cuke? Could be an apt description, except for the fuzzy part. Don't forget, that there could still be a connection between "the thing" and the tiny dead shamrock plant. When I tug on the shamrock, "the thing" moves. I'm getting really excited about this. Best doggoned volunteer I ever had come up in my GH. Entertaining too. Thanks for your help. Linda

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9373273

You are most welcome. I feel that oxalis is correct, but I could be mis-remembering. It has been almost 15 years ago and I have logged in a lot of plant stuff..I liken my memory to a BookMark program that only saves in UNSORTED files...grin
The Memory...
I found the "velvety cukelets" in a flower pot that had gotten turned over and was over looked for a bit. At the time I found them, I was reading Through The Looking Glass, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland to my 4 y/o grandson. I was showing them to my husband and said that they reminded me of "a caterpillar in the early stages of making a chrysalis. I found them in the Oxalis pot." My grandson told us they were "hookah-pillars"...when questioned, he said, "They are hookah-pillars because you found them in the AskAlice pot." Grin...yup he was raised on Jefferson Airplane albums...so, I am sure of where I found them...it is the actual ID I am fuzzy on.
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 2, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9373337

Moonhowl, you know what they say about the 60s?? If you remember them, you weren't "really there"!! Anyhoo, I think we are getting close. "Velvety cukelet" is a good description. I have lots of volunteer Oxalis plants of, probably, varying species in my GH, but this "thing's" been tucked away unseen for up to 3 years. Still anxious to hear more about it. I've dug up many of these volunteer plants/weeds and have never seen anything like this!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9373353

There ARE moments...GRIN. I saved your images and will e-mail them to him today.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9373354

I received a plant from a fellow DG'er a few years ago. When I opened the package, besides the plant, there was soil and what I thought was Achimenes corms. As it turned out, they were tiny PINECONES - LOL.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9373367

GRIN...sometimes it can be really hard to ID things when seen out of context.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9373378

I still think it's a long dead stem of a plant that has molded over after the top was removed in the place it originally grew (nursery/greenhouse).

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9373396

Aww come'on Growin...maybe the Pod People of SF movies lost a Podling...grin

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9373408

ok, it's moldy petrified cat poop.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9373411

Funny!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9373418

ROFL!!!!!,ROFLLLL!!!!!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9373427

The roots are just from a nutrient-high manure content and a very happy Oxalis in a dry medium growing condition. A smug cat watches the commotion.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9373482

Tail flipping at having fooled the silly humans again...snicker snicker...

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 9:17 AM
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 3, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9373908

I think this whole situation would make a great start to a horror movie - I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you lindafrew! ;-)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9373928

lindafrew wrote:Moonhowl, "Velvety cukelet" is a good description. I have lots of volunteer Oxalis plants of, probably, varying species in my GH, but this "thing's" been tucked away unseen for up to 3 years. Still anxious to hear more about it. I've dug up many of these volunteer plants/weeds and have never seen anything like this!!

Moonhowl, Have you heard anything yet? Since Gita put out the ID help needed word, I have been looking at loads of oxalis corm/tuber pics and learning lots about their growth. Since there are oxalis growing nearby, and since they can shoot their seeds 3 feet or more, it is possible that one could have grown in this pot undetected and produced a corm. Also, it is only under certain circumstances of day length and temps that oxalis will form tubers after the plant has begun to die back (seems the tubers grow in Nov/Dec. Tubers can be formed both above and below ground.

Oxalis tubers are like potatoes and are grown the same way as food crops (oca) in the Andes and as New Zealand Yams, etc. There are over 800 species of oxalis, and tubers formed are as varied as the species, like Moonhowls pic above shows. Look closely at the green one and it resembles a 'thumb'!

Like potatoes. oxalis tubers will 'sprout' and produce tiny leaves as it appears yours has done. It will also go 'soft' as it ages but may still resprout even if just laid on soil. Think potatoes in our bins! Have enjoyed this adventure and learning more about oxalis as a food source as well as an 'ornamental'. Good luck.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9374015

Da-dum, Da-dum...they creep the garden at night, seeking better light...OOOWEEEOOO...do not go into the Greenhouse alone after dark...GRIN

No word yet...he is in Costa Rica leading a group on a winter garden tour...lucky duck...it is warm there...grin. I will post his response as soon as I get it. Until then...be vewy vewy careful...it could be hunting Wabbits...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9374027

Taking a break from "studying" to prepare for entrance exam next week; came here and laughed my fool head off, THANK YOU! Just the break I needed. =)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9374071

Good luck on your exam, Speediebean. Glad we could break the "tension"...GRIN
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 3, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9374080

Moonhowl, you're a HOOT. I'll stand by for your expert's input. In the meantime, I'll keep the "thing" under close scrutiny! Can't be too careful. Thanks for the input from all the forum contributors and for all the good laughs as well.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9374088

Small bow, big grin...even a bit of blush... Thanks Linda...humor helps with the frustration of not having a solid answer...sort of...Grin

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9374136

Reading through this had been more fun than ""Midnight Madness"""LOL
I would say about 5 howls:-):-):-):-):-) !!!!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9374297

lindafrew, you have a cat, right?
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 3, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9374359

Ahh. The moldy, petrified cat poop theory rears its smelly head again!! As a matter of fact, I do have 3 cats, but they do not live in my greenhouse. Can't blame the "thing" on my kitties, but I can always laugh at a feline funny!! Linda

Thumbnail by lindafrew

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9374373

This is kitty laying in and on the spider plant that just got ate.. Gee I wonder who did that

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9374428

Linda and moonhowl----and anyone else on here...

You all have a humorous way with words! you are too funny!!!
Come to this long-forlorn Thread and add your contributions...I bet you will be good at
writing "ditties"...It is called "Poetry on the Pile" and is found on the "Soil and Composting Forum".

In case you have never ventured to get so close to the "compost pile'--so eloquently honored
by many, many poems and ditties (since 2007) please come and "drop a few nuggets"
of yours to add to this "pile"--and let it live on for eternity.
Linda--you could write a Poem about your "Thing"...There is plenty of "material" flying around in this Post...

Reminds me--I have to get on "The Pile" myself and drop a few nuggets myself.
I've been meaning to ad some "doo--doo"--in honor of the New Year...
Need to get motivated--I'll have another couple glasses of wine...it "frees" the constricted mind...

Check out part #1 as well. They are "joined' by----We came from here... Gita

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881246/

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9374526

Oh S@%$^&! I think this thread is going down the toilet. grlwonder, is it going down clock-wise or counter-clockwise for you? I believe this is the cut-off top stem of the Beaucarnea when it was imported, grown on in a greenhouse/nursery setting and the stem fell to the side of the Beaucarnea. It has since grown moss & mold in it's place on/in the soil alongside the beaucarnea. This is my final answer. Take a look at this page: http://www.gardenstew.com/about20593.html and down the page you'll see a dead stem of a Beaucarnea. Look familiar? It's spongy too. Take a look at this cross-section of a Beaucarnea http://instagram.com/p/KkvkzYG7ZC/ clearly showing the cambium layer/bark, which typically shrivels up and falls off, and the inner sapwood & heartwood which remain. The heartwood is spongy on Beaucarnea just like a Yucca.

Eventually it will begin to grow and look like the plant pictured below.

Thumbnail by growin

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9374563

Good evening All
I just got a call from Dan Gill, my Hort prof friend...he chided me soundly for not remembering that he had indeed IDed the velvety cukelet once before...and then proceeded to refresh my memory...by calling it a Hookah-pillar from an Askalice...and told me that was one of his favorite stories.

His official id is a tuber from one of the Oxalis species, all of which occasionally will sprout tubers at or just below the surface of the ground. He suggested looking at pictures of Oca (Oxalis) because that is the most common tuber producing species and would be the most likely to be represented in Google pictures. He did say that the "velvet' surface was more than likely newly formed scales rather than fuzz.

Since he has written many more books and articles on plants than I have, I trust his judgement implicitly.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9374588

One problem. Oca wouldn't be spongy.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9374596

Not a problem...this is not Oca, Oxalis tuberosa...it is a species of Oxalis, he referred to Oca because that species was most likely to have readily available images...The ones he IDed for me were from the common white blooming Oxalis sold as "Shamrocks" Oxalis regnellii.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9374642

...Smirking smugly here...YES!!!!!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9374670

I say, take the pruners to it. Let's see the insides of this alien creature.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9374671

growin---

You were joking...yes? A Pony tail Palm stem?

And--that picture!!!!!! Gawd---Looks like something that would grow on Planet Venus...

Joke?????????

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9374673

No, I actually think it is a discarded Pony Tail Palm Stem. All joking aside, I'd like to see the interior of this unknown "thing". That would settle it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9374677

hey! I know!!!!!

Looking back at your 1st pictures--I think, finally, we all know where Ms. Bobbit hid the----you know what...

Call the cops! Linda found it!!!!! And--it is growing roots!!!! AAAAAAGGGHHHHH...

Silly time of night...My apologies in advance... G.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9374679

Yep, ! agree all an E,T. Even took professor Horta.. to solve,
Sorry Gita I know you knew all along ,,It is only that neighbors from Venus do not visit all that often!!!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9374686

I don't think it's solved. I still stand my ground on this. I'd like to see the interior of this thing.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9374779

FYI, Oxalis tubers will be green if they are exposed to light while growing. Oxalis tubers can be soft and spongy like potatoes as they begin to sprout.

Here are some pics. #1 is petrified cat poop oxalis
#2 assorted...note green tuber mid left.

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup      

sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9374786

If youhaven't killed it yet, just let it grow and see what happens. I assume it will develop into something...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9374914

Judy... heeheehee... and Pic #3 is... a neighbor? A *Real* alien?? A pic of Themoonhowl??? ..snicker.. heeheeheee

Gita... Haaahahaahahaahaaaaaaaaa "The Bobbit Thing"!!! Oh my goodness, I'll never see tubers the same way again.

...Wipes tears and snot from face... I need to get back to work.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9375038

lindafrew wrote:Hi. Love all your answers. Thanks. It has a soft, very short kind of fuzz on it that, with only light scratching, does not go away. When first discovered, it seemed to be attached to a volunteer Oxalis (or Shamrock, if that's different), because it moved if I yanked on the green vegetation, but I've been told it could not be any part of such a plant. The little rootlets are what remains from the volunteer plant. After several weeks inside, the "thing" remains soft and green and COULD be growing a bit, but no leaves or anything common like that. It has nothing to do with the Beaucarnea, I'm sure of that. I would assert that it is plant material, but from what planet, I'm not sure. Should I call NASA? I do not believe it is transmitting any radio signals! Linda

From Linda's post above we have the basic clues...nothing in the container but Beaucarnea and Oxalis...Oxalis makes tubers, Beaucarnea does not...a leap of faith or logical deduction?

Oxalis tuber...that's my story and I'm sticking to it...GRIN

No Speediebean, not a pic of me, but an amazing likeness of my husband...I never was much for IronMan...teehee

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 8:59 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9375145

I will stand on growin's side of the room, just for fun. I'm just not totally sold yet!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9375221

[quote="themoonhowl"]

From Linda's post above we have the basic clues...nothing in the container but Beaucarnea and Oxalis...Oxalis makes tubers, Beaucarnea does not...a leap of faith or logical deduction?

Oxalis tuber...that's my story and I'm sticking to it...GRIN

[quote]

Seems to me I've heard the "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck..." inductive reasoning before... so chances are, it's not a platypus. ;) Darn it, and I was really hoping for a platypus, or at least an alien! (but not petrified cat poop, really!)

OK Judy, that Pic #3 is not Moonhowl (heehee), so who is it?? ;P I like the name IronMan; if he's not got a name already, can we name him that please?

lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 4, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9375226

I sent along an older photo of the thing and two I took this a.m. that may show a little more detail of its "skin". As the thing moved when I tugged on some adjacent little shamrock "thingies" (that's a technical term), I do believe it's Oxalis, but this thing is not even remotely similar to the tuber photos I've seen here and on-line. It is not shiny and I'd judge it never has been (don't forget the FUZZ; definitely not mold or fungus). It's not conical or pointed in shape, but rather bulbous on the end (the end opposite the "roots"). I can confirm a few things for sure, however. It is not cat poop or a part (or an ex-part) of the large Beaucarnea that sahred the same pot. So, in conclusion, my Plant Pals, I do agree with our guest horticultural expert that it's probably Oxalis, but this tuber does not look anything like that of the O. tuberosa or any other tubers I've seen so far. Are you all growing weary of this yet????

Thumbnail by lindafrew   Thumbnail by lindafrew   Thumbnail by lindafrew      

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9375249

Awww--Linda!

Weary??? Not a chance! I will miss it if we EVER come to an all-accepting conclusion and ID it.
This is WAYYYYY too much fun! I vote for letting it grow and see what comes of it. Pot it back up.
Give it some Miracle grow--and some TLC. Come spring--we should see something or other emerge...

On your close-ups above--they are kind of out of focus. Were your eyes brimming with tears at the sight of
your, by now famous, peace of __________ fill in the blank.
Could you do a macro setting and take the pictures again? Pulllleeese...Hanky in hand.

I vote for IRON MAN too--since that name was so well known here, in MD.
AKA--Cal Ripkin. It would be a nice tribute.
G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9375300

I hold out that the Oxalis may have become intimately involved with the mystery hunk. Only very careful extraction might prove whether the Oxalis is really original to the hunk. A little dissent keeps it interesting. THe green fuzziness could be a sort of lichen. Or a half died off Oxalis tuber that started to rot but then revived.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9375444

themoonhowl wrote:

...Oxalis makes tubers, Beaucarnea does not...a leap of faith or logical deduction?

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 8:59 AM

"Whoa, Nelly!" What's that big thing at the base of the Beaucarnea that is partly underground and party above? By definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuber a tuber stores nutrients and water. I think Beaucarnea has one of the largest tubers going.
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 4, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9375496

Well, Growin does have a point there on the tuber definition. Wish I had a better camera, but that's about the best I can do. Maybe I can get a little help from my friends.

I did repot the thing and will take good care of it until spring (which in AZ could come, like, tomorrow!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9375501

About 35 threads ago I agreed and gave up;; draw straws or toothpicks ?
Pod People AKA Invasion of the Body Snatchers

'"Be careful about falling asleep"""

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9375511

You're not going to chop it in half? You could potentially have 2 plants.

I find it amusing that since, "moldy petrified cat poop", the views went from 505 to 865 - that's 360 views with 38 responses, mostly repeat of the same individuals which is only 10% of those viewing. I'm sure some of the lurkers had ideas but were too hesitant to respond.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9375527

It makes sense,, as the only thing that has been ruled out? , would cause all the views. It will likely turn out to be illegal as well"""
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9375544

Well, I've been lurking since lindafrew's original post. I thought then, and still think now, that it is Mrs. Bowen, who showed up in an episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0660808/plotsummary

I can also say that pic #3 is definitely not 'our Moon', she is much prettier than that.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9375650

My apologies Growin...I misspoke. I was thinking caudex vs tuber and the caudex is indeed tuberous.

Having said that, it is quite possible given the more downy appearance in the 2nd picture of said POD, it may not be an oxalis...in Dan's defense, I sent him a pic from the first post along with the info from it. I used the term "velvety" and pale green ...my opinion now is that it looks rather like something I have never seen before.I still stand behind the fact that Oxalis do make small light green tubers, but this probably was closer to a leap of faith...grin
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9375663

I've been lurking...and rolling hysterically in most cases.
I have no opinion on what it is...but it still could be petrified cat poo...my cats eat really strange things sometimes and you never know what will show up in their poo. :D

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9375667

Forgot to say thanks Smiley...GRIN
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 4, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9375678

Ah. I'm a little slow, but I now get the Mrs. Bobbitt thing and agree that the shape of my thing vs. Mr. Bobbitt's severed appendage is similar. Moonhowl, I certainly respect Dan Gill's opinion and the fact that my little, now dead, shamrock plant seems to be somehow integrated with the thing gives credence to his ID. I'm just still perplexed because it's so unlike anything I've seen on-line or in this thread which pictures any Oxalis root systems that are remotely similar to this guy. So, my Friends, is this thing extra-terrestrial???? If that's so, may the farce be with us all!! No, really, the thing is FOR REAL, I promise!! SHALL WE DROP THE WHOLE THING???? Linda
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9375687

NO! We all want to know what it really is! :)

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9375706

lindafrew wrote:Maybe I can get a little help from my friends.

Hookah-pillar from an Askalice

themoonhowl, I was just jokin'. I think we've been had. I bet lindafrew knows what it is. (conspiracy theory)

Before long..."I'm just a mean green mother from outer space and I'm bad!"..."Feed me, lindafrew!"

Thumbnail by growin

lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 4, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9375716

No, my fine flora and fauna friends!! linda frew has no idea what this is, but she's having a helluva lot of fun with y'all helping me ID it. No conspiracy here!! I will try to get some better photos, if I can.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9375724

Then it IS a Hookah-pillar from an Askalice! See, I knew it. themoonhowl was right!

...listening to Jefferson Airplane - "Have You Seen The Saucers?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJemA-eviU
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9375745

Also, Linda, are there any other clues? Like has your ponytail palm been in the greenhouse all the time, or did it summer outdoors? If outdoors, any location details of plants around it, or trees or shrubs overhead. etc? Is the oxalis you have the "invasive" or the pretty ornamentals? If ornamentals, are they potted or could you did one or two and compare any "tubers' found? Was there an oxalis growing in the pot with the palm, or just the itty bitty you found? If there was one growing in with palm there may well be other "tubers" in that pot's soil...might do a bit of sifting through...

Id be interested in those bumps on the thing and a good pic of where the oxalis is 'attached', too.
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 4, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9375826

Well, lots of questions. Please be assured that I'm not pulling your leg on this. My spouse is going to try to find a photographer to take a really good picture of the thing for y'all. The B. recurvata has been in my greenhouse for about 1.5 years, but my GH is pretty inviting to other species (it has a shade cloth cover). Many of my plants have invasive Oxalis visitors, most or which appear to be of the same species. I think digging around in the Beaucarnea is a great idea and I'll see if I can come up with anything else. Digging up some of my other "guests" is also a great idea. Will do. The mystery continues! Linda

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9375838

Linda--

You must have the little weed that looks like Oxalis in your G-H. It can grow all over the place.
It looks like tiny Shamrocks--which, actually, also is an Oxalis.

The CC's JB sent me have this weed trying to grow in all the pots.
Last summer, when she sent me a potted Gardenia--they were growing in the pot-soil as well.

I do not think these small Oxalis weeds make the tubers. They are so itsy-bitsy in size.
The picture I posted of the tubers are from the big. beautiful, purple Oxalis. Go back and look.

http://www.better-lawn-care.com/wood-sorrel.html#axzz2H4KK0Xjn

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9375970

Sorry I've only lurked recently and not posted, but I have to agree with others, I most certainly am NOT weary of this yet either!! I'm enjoying the laughs BIG TIME, but also now I'm "hooked", I just GOTTA know what it is, when we eventually find out for sure.. just can't let it go until we figure it out for real. (Hate loose threads... so to speak). ;)

Keeping to the thought that it's an Oxalis tuber, even given its shape.. maybe it sorta.. ya know.. grew "around" its environment in the pot to become bent, instead of straight... ya know, it ran into a roadblock, made a detour around it, and kept on growing. (the way carrots will do if the soil is not PERFECTly loamy). Once that top part reached the surface, it's now reacting to its new environment ("now" being a relative term), including changing its surface structure to protect itself and/or retain moisture.

Either that or, it's petrified alien poo.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9376030

I admit I have Lurking and love a good mystery!
My first thought was an Haboob blew it in from a far distant land. I then went on to believe that it's a Fern Rhizome of some sort.

I do hope it gets solved at some point soon...I lost the last three hairs on my head rubbing it and laughing so hard!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9376032

Next morning...

Linda--you wrote: (wish I knew how to paragraph quotes)

The B. recurvata has been in my greenhouse for about 1.5 years, but my GH is pretty inviting to other species (it has a shade cloth cover). Many of my plants have invasive Oxalis visitors, most or which appear to be of the same species. I think digging around in the Beaucarnea is a great idea and I'll see if I can come up with anything else. Digging up some of my other "guests" is also a great idea. Will do. The mystery continues! LindaM/i>

The more I think about this, the more sure I am now that the remnants of the Oxalis attached to "The Thing"
has nothing to do with "The Thing" itself. These little weeds will grow on anything in the greenhouse.
Linda even says that...If you have ever been inside an older GH--you will see all kinds of things growing
under the tables and on the top of the soil in pots that have been there a while.

SO--assuming this "Thing" has been laying around for a year and a half--these little Oxalis weeds just made
themselves at home in the same pot. What you see at the base of "The Thing" is the remnants of these weeds.
Not necessarily that they are PART of "The Thing"...

May be a new angle to this mystery--but it makes sense to me. I have worked in greenhouses,
and the floor under the tables is disgusting.
In which case--I have to, almost, rescind my idea that it is a tuber from any of the Oxalis.
I do not believe these tiny little weeds make tubers that size.

Here is a picture of a potted plant I just received from someone with a GH.
See the small Oxalis growing on top of the soil? Their roots are pretty spreading and matted.
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 5, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9376038

Gitagal,
To quote, go to the thread you are looking to quote, and on the left side of the box, click on "quote". Screen will open a new text box with the whole thread box - yo ucan pick and choose what you want to keep/not keep. Then below, add your comments like normal.
:)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9376051

minnesippi wrote:Gitagal,
To quote, go to the thread you are looking to quote, and on the left side of the box, click on "quote". Screen will open a new text box with the whole thread box - yo ucan pick and choose what you want to keep/not keep. Then below, add your comments like normal.
:)

Practicing...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9376052

YEAH! Thank you, minnesippi...!!!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 5, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9376059

YEA!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9376092

Linda, we now have 10 times the number of views as responses...to back out now may be detrimental to our reputation as "one of the best plant ID forums on line" (my assessment) I do not know if in all the years DG has been around if a plant has ever gone unidentified...(clasp the microphone tightly for emphasis...small catch in voice, impassioned plea) We OWE it to our lurkers, our history, Nay, We owe it to ourselves to persevere...to seek out identities where no plant enthusiast has dared go before...We must prevail! (slump against lecturn, overcome with emotion)...Or not. GRIN

In thinking about this all, I was reminded of another line from Alice in Wonderland..."Things are seldom as they seem. Skim milk oft masquerades as cream" In light of that I think we need a new set of parameters...

Do you also have any Cactus in your green house? Have you recently added any soil to the Beaucarnea? Do squirrels visit your greenhouse? Have you ever played Plants vs Zombies?

We just need to rethink this...I spent an hour or two with a couple search engines entering various permutations of Fuzzy, Furry, downy, hirsute, rhizome, tuber, seedling, pod, alien garden life forms...well ya get the idea...I now have images of odd things that cropped up to fuel a few nightmares (one was a piece of a finger...but we won't go there...ICK

I think it would be a good start for you to do a mental inventory of the plants in the greenhouse that could possibly have shared seeds with the Beaucarnia. At least we can eliminate some things then.

Careful Growin...listening to JA can bend your mind...GRIN

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9376128

Anyone have an unused podium?
I think themoonhowl needs one to stand on to declare to the whole lurking World---

We owe it to ourselves to persevere...to seek out identities where no plant enthusiast has dared go before...We must prevail! (slump against lecturn, overcome with emotion)...Or not.

I think I will go find my boots...G.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9376135

Better make it hip waders, Gita...grin

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9376148

Florida Air-boat.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9376385

themoonhowl wrote:(one was a piece of a finger...but we won't go there...ICK

I tell ya... it's Mrs. Bowen..

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9376397

I think Seymour has been feeding The Plant and it missed a bite.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9376424

Seymour would NEVER miss a bite, JA knew how to please, but Grace Slick was ALWAYS powerful and awesome, may not be an alien-may have just been blown north from farther south climates and it needs more heat to 'come alive?' I think I remember a session of OLimits with pod people...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9376448

At this point Mrs Bowen makes as much sense as anything. This thread is taking on the look of a couple interesting threads from a couple years ago...The Basil ID thread and another that had users searching for a small dog in a picture that wasn't there...trying to remember the name of that thread as it was quite funny.

Oh, Gita, I really don't need a podium...it has gotten deep enough in here that I can be seen quite well...grin
Guzmania2010
Mexico
Mexico

January 5, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9376579

And when it ends ?. up

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9376593

kitriana--

I just visited a whole building full of Pod people...aka as my new Dr.'s office...
All their examining rooms were called "pods'...
Please follow me to Pod #5...The Dr. will see you soon...

Actually--he looked quite normal--like--a real human being...but he was from S. Africa...

LOL--moonhowl---having "depth" in life is a good thing...gives one character.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9376796

They're coming to take me away - haha hehe haha. Can remember that ONE show cuz I was young enough it didn't seem proper 'people' should lay around in tubs of foam to grow up and be anything but a plant...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2013
9:58 PM

Post #9376824

I'm also lurking...I recognize the weeds but that's about all. This is the best entertainment I've had in a long time. LOL

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
10:02 PM

Post #9376825

Dunno abt the missing dog- do know about Squatch and the missing chocolate basil seeds...

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
12:33 AM

Post #9376855

It vill turn you into a zombie! Ve need to remove ze brain. Time to operate. Pruners!

Thumbnail by growin

lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 6, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9377113

Ah, my Prolific and Phunny Plant Pals, we digress!! What about the furry, ugly green thumb???? I think I'm going to have another weird greenhouse growth to show you today if I can get a good enough photo. Stand by!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9377190

Can't wait Linda...this may be the shot that solves it all...grin
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 6, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9377307

Just posted my next challenge as another thread, but it could be an easy one. No relationship, my Friends, to the big ugly thumb. I may be able to post better photos of the thumb. My hubby's a better photographer than I!!

Thinking of starting a new website... Frew's Freaky Fauna!!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9377314

Digress? Can you do a Youtube video so we can all see it in action. I still think you should take the pruners to it...call it "Alien Autopsy". Almost 1200 views in the ID forum. go figure.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9377322

Binoculars,Microscope, specialty glasses, spectral lenses ...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9377325

Just goes to show...everyone loves a good mystery...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9377332

A friend of mine swears she lost her green thumb almost 40 years ago in a weird mishap at the Four Corners overlook on a full moon night. Hers had bright red nail polish called "Radish Red" so it is even more unlikely that yours is hers. Is it a right hand or a left hand thumb?

Thumbnail by coleup

lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 6, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9377418

Okay, as requested, these photos may shed some light on the mystery! I can't take credit for them.

Thumbnail by lindafrew   Thumbnail by lindafrew   Thumbnail by lindafrew      

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9377428

If you look at the last 2 photos, I see a face. Now it does look like dust bunny. Any pics of the surface fuzz scraped off?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9377436

And I see a "critter" in pic 1...a descendant of the flying dragon thing from Neverending Story...??

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9377437

last pic looked more like the Hulks fist trying to get free of the planting medium.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9377440

Still looks like a bald Old Man Cactus to me ,Hey,, You Know,,lol
Guzmania2010
Mexico
Mexico

January 6, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9377445

Is this a joke ? not a vegetable ..it .is made ​​of wool yarns.

Up there too off topic

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9377450

get a better magnifying glass Guz, not yarn

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9377471

Looking at "it ", as a fuzzy root or stem, the rectangular plate form of the "skin" still suggests cactus
Nothing else shown here, has shown as being the same,
That also suggests that "it" is alive and growing whatever the ------- "it "may be

The rectangular plate form of the skin even makes it look like the smallest "leafless thus far'' Phoenix Cactus Palm I may have ever seen

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 7:33 PM
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 6, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9377497

Can't keep quiet any longer. Have no idea and so I figured...lurk...don't talk...

BUT
Everyone keeps saying it looks like a finger...and I lost my pearl ring...and so if one shows up...it's mine!

( the darn thing looks like it is growing )

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9377511

Spawn of Xenomorf, or palmbob...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9377513

Agreed
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 6, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9377598

OK, my Fauna Fixated Friends, it's time to resolve this issue. Do I have just another Oxalis root (not my leaning), or a new genus. I like the sound of Frewus greenthumbianus. What do you think? lf
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 6, 2013

Post #9377608

Can only name it if you taste it.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9377610

second the motion !!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9377630

Okay...time to dig...the Beaucarnea has been in the GH for 1.5 years. Where was it before that?

Have you added any new soil to the Beaucarnea, or repotted it since it came into the GH??

Do you have any cactus plants in the GH?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9377672

I still wanna see the guts of this thing. Chopping block and a cleaver. It won't hurt.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9377683

growin---

You are nasty!! All you want to do is chopit up and see the guts...Such murderous thoughts!
What do you think you will see inside this "Thing"? A beating heart begging for mercy?
Some quivering flesh? In my guess--just some soft mush...Or--it may just go "PUFF"--like a puff ball.

Whatever this "Thing" is--once it is cut open--it will never grow into anything else for us to
ponder over. I kind of like all this mystery and guessing. We are all having fun and being a bit silly.
Good for the Soul! Good for the camaraderie.
Not too many posts go to close to150 posts and almost 1400 views in a week's time.

We have a good thing going here! Why kill it??? If you like--you can become a lurker
and see what comes of all this in another week or two...or three...

Sorry! Please have some fun with us! Go with the flow! G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9377691

And, Linda, time may be of the essence on this one as my local big box store is loaded with ponytail mother palms for deployment to every home in the country. I personally searched through over fifty of them earlier this afternoon looking for ugly fuzzy green thumb spores. (Some are disguised as 'bonsai' plants) Due to increased store security I was un able to unearth any but surface evidence of same.

Growin, I'm reconsidering that thing is part of or offshoot of , or dead branch, stem of ponytail...so hope Linda will give us some palm details, too.

juhur. I'm seeing those patterns, too. And, oh yea, faces. And what is with the twisted thread/roots?

Thumbnail by coleup

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9377703

Gitagal - it's not nasty. It is a standard method of observation, learning and understanding. The definition for "Dissection" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissection clearly states, "Dissection (also called anatomization) is the process of disassembling and observing something to determine its internal structure and as an aid to discerning the functions and relationships of its components." This is the ID forum and dissection is an accepted method of gaining identification. Much of medicine is based on early dissection results on the human body. We often dissect a flower, fruit, bud, etc to gain more understanding of the plant or to identify the plant. All I'm proposing is to dissect the specimen for a more clear identification. Youtube it!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9377837

I'm afraid (of "It") I'll have to concur with Juhur while sticking to my original guns... I'm leaning toward some sort of baby cactus, just have no idea what "kind". Perhaps the soil in the pot (if not the potted plant itself) has been in close proximity to some variety of cactus; or maybe you were, and you picked up something unawares and then deposited it into/onto the soil in the pot. These volunteers can be big surprises sometimes.

While I understand the "how you learn" of anatomizing, (also known as "cutting it to pieces thereby killing it"), I cannot help but shudder at the thought of killing this only-known life-form just in the off chance that we "might" learn what it is. Chances are much better that we'll learn more about it if it is allowed to live and thrive.

I also think Linda needs to give it a little lick-taste so she can name it. < =D

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9377839

hope it isn't -uhhh- psycho tropic.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9377843

If it is, then we'll just rename Linda "Homer".

Thumbnail by speediebean

SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

January 7, 2013

Post #9378482

Very funny thread!
In the new pictures the surface looks lichen-like to me, i.e. something covered in lichen.

At the base of the "thing" there appears to be some twisted threads. They are light green and look like something that didn't rot in the compost. Reminds me of the strings from tea bags. I don't mean the tiny oxalis stems.

A good mystery, yes.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9378578

That 'string' stuff looks like Spanish moss to me.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9378580

There is, actually, a real string showing in all three pictures.

What is THAT doing in there? G.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9378602

its a Bonsai gone bad??? Left or dead? Fail?

Again, cats eat some strange thing ;)

This message was edited Jan 7, 2013 7:27 PM

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9378635

I thought it looked like a spineless cactus too, at first - but cactus usually have some texture to show where the spines should be, even when they aren't there. It is showing a little green, that means chlorophyl, so not a mushroom family or parasitic plant. The suggestion of "Oxyalis" seems most likely - just because you can't find a photo on the internet that exactly matches doesn't mean it doesn't exist - it just means that nobody thought it was photo-worthy until Lindafrew - and now nearly 1500 people have proved her correct.
Ofcourse, the "just because you can't find it on the internet" excuse would also apply to Chlorophyll producing Aliens. Have you had a total eclipse of the sun? That is how "Little Shop of Horrors" started.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9378642

Scrolling down this thread has gotten to be about like the order to"" climb Mt Suribachi "" (too too much)
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 8, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9379068

Okay, my Friends. I do believe I'll take it to our local horticultural extension office and see if they can help, although they weren't able to help me with another exotic plant I asked for assistance with. I hate to say it, but, perhaps, they can show me how to open it up for a peek without killing it. Later.

Note to pollengarden: As far as I know, we've had no eclipses here lately and no lifeform-altering atmospheric disturbances.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2013
11:38 PM

Post #9379746

Let it grow, or hibernate, if that is what it is doing, until spring. When (if) it grows leaves I think ID will be easier.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
2:47 AM

Post #9379764

I agree.
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 9, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9379786

In the better photos, it looks to me like a big bit of matted together felt that has perhaps got some mouldy stuff growing on it. There definitely looks like twine on there too. Could it be some coir and twine from an original root ball wrapping or pot liner?

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9380153

I, too, have been watching this thread for some time, just curious as to the ID of this thing.

I'm inclined to agree with the 'let it grow' concept. If it's alive, it will eventually grow - although that may well not happen until spring. With growth, it's true nature and subsequent ID will, I think, come to light. In the mean time, it provides hours of amusement during what would otherwise be the winter doldrums. :-)
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9380225

How about a cat hairball. A dried up hairball looks a lot like that. Jus sayin

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9380263

grlwonder--

WOW! All the way from Australia!!! This "thing" is now going global...

This "mystery" is getting international attention!!! Of course, we all know that
DG has subscribers all across the World.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9380267

2vernes wrote:How about a cat hairball. A dried up hairball looks a lot like that. Jus sayin

Maybe a petrified cat hairball, to go with the, uuhhh, other petrified "stuff"? heeheeheee Linda's got some very busy cats around her place, huh? < =P
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 9, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9380347

Gitagal - I also made an appearance up at the top of the thread, suggesting a rhizome of some sort. I'm leaning towards some felted together coir and twine now though...
fixpix
Oradea
Romania

January 10, 2013
1:30 AM

Post #9380682

Wow, I loved this thread.
Funny, and long too.
I can tell people were bored over the holidays :)
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 11, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9382157

Nope, not a hairball or anything else that could possibly be excreted from a feline (from EITHER end). No felines in my greenhouse, ever. Good news, however, I am attending a meeting tomorrow of greenhouse people and will take the "thing" along for a guest appearance (it will be my first appearance there too). Hope I can give you an update after that. You've all been great. AND yes, it has been a long winter. Glad we could help entertain you, fixpix, through what must be a very frosty winter in Romania. Greetings from stateside. Stay tuned. Linda
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 11, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9382366

Good luck Linda. As much fun as it is to poke fun at this thing, i can imagine how frustrating it is not knowing what to do with it :) Hope they can provide some information - its always easier to identify when you are looking a the real thing.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9382488

I sure hope somebody knows what it is, the suspense is killing me!
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 12, 2013
12:05 AM

Post #9382508

Could it be a Davallia rhizome? Someone may have mentioned it further up the thread, I'm not sure.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9382543

I agree with Minne, it must be frustrating for you to keep wondering what the heck that "thing" is... I hope we've been able to keep you entertained enough to curb that frustration at least a bit. I'm really looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say at that meeting today!

Ok OK, no cat "outcomes"... spoils all our fun... **wanders off muttering**...
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 13, 2013

Post #9383424

Any news yet? I'm dying of suspense here!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9383652

I like the hairball idea, LOL. I found a little something from kitty in my potting soil box yesterday. Needless to say, I use the lid now.
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 19, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9390499

Any news? Or am I the only person still interested in knowing what "the thing" is?
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9390568

SSHHHH! I was hoping we had an answer!

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9390582

I'm still interested in an ID on this UGO!

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9390596

inquiring minds want to know or at least have more info or clues to go on!

As day length increases we may see some growth as many 'tubers' are triggered by increasing day length... but we will all be left hanging unless we hear more from the keeper of the Thing (or one pops up in a pot of ours! eek)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9390599

I can wait----BUT!!!! Once it is ID'd--all the fun will end...:o(

This has been one of the most fun Threads I have ever participated in.
Now no one is guessing any more--everyone is just waiting for Linda to tell us what it is.
What if the man she was going to ask also has NO idea...the suspense will have to continue...

Linda---it is ALL in YOUR hands...
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 19, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9390637

An orchid root?

http://beyondthehumaneye.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/orchid-roots-botanical-sponges.html
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9390719

NOT!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9390731

One of ,,if not the best guess i've seen so far though...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9390832

Not a bad suggestion at all Grlwonder...wish Lindafrew would answer some of the questions though. Wonder what the Master Gardeners had to say?
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 19, 2013
9:48 PM

Post #9390861

It just reminds me of a rhizome or root. I also wonder if it is what is left of an epiphytic plant that has previously been tied to something (like a staghorn fern tied to a board) - that would explaine the twine - and perhaps this bit of rhizome got accidentally mixed into the potting mix with the Beaucarnea.

I'm just ITCHING to know what it is!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9390942

Pony tail palms can and do have off sets, too. Wonder if someone like palmbob or other growers and propagators of tuberous plants could be alerted to lokk at what we are seeing...Cacti , too.. A shout out for some other specialty forums to assist on this. Anyone want to do the shouting?

Thing looks a lot less green in most recent pics from Linda's hubby.

Pic 1 pony tail palm offset
Pic 2 oxalis tubers
3 + 4 ponytail palms and oxalis are 'cat magnets'5 result of cat + 3 or 4

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9391146

Gosh, this thread still going!?

Have you found out whose finger it is yet?

Resin

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9391150

Yup...3 weeks and counting...no conclusion. Still waiting for OP to give us the results from master gardeners inspection

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9391236

Hum ,,dum, , diddle ,,diddle ,,,a !!!! I am feeling like I am on hold...

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 2:06 PM

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9391319

Hold button music - Jefferson Airplane "Comin' Back To Me" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdvMT32skw

Maybe lindafrew was alien abducted.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9391383

Yeah, Marty Balin always did go for the "ballad music"...and an update would be music to my ears...grin

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9391463

This is as interesting as watching a grilled cheese sandwich with the Virgin Mary sell on ebay.

Thumbnail by growin

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9391555

I see a face but not what I would call the Virgin Mary...I just don't get it.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9391593

Oh no!!! the roots of religion TOO!!!!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9391603

Lol the face does look familiar. Maybe Alice in Wonderland?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9391609

NAME this thread Repunzel's puzzle , courtesy of lindafrew. Only I take that to mean it would take heavenly insight to solve this...

Or how about this growin 's photo looks like she is pondering something like a puzzle . and is about a lot of hair (hairiness ?)

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 7:40 PM

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9391615

I thought it looked like Madonna. Considering this petrified sandwich sold for $28,000 and is displayed at a casino, it is the iconic representation of imaginary interpretation. I guess we all need to believe.

The original item we are trying to ID in this thread is probably no more than a piece of debris which we have made into a mystical iconic id. I'd imagine lindafrew is embarrassed that it was determined to be no more than just petrified cat poop.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013

Post #9391628

I think the face looks like a 40's silent movie's starlet. No name came to mind...
Just the eyes looking up and the small, puckered mouth...and the blonde, curly tresses around her face...

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! It is just a piece of toast!!!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9391635

lol. For a moment I thought, "oh ya, I'm not supposed to discuss religion. Then I realized, it's only religious if you believe it's religious." You're right Gitagal - It's just a piece of toast.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 20, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9391671

looks like Sharon Stone to me.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9391736

face reminds me of the Raquel Welch poster in Shawshank Redemption-- in plant id terms that would be Bombshellia circaseventies var "Dufresne's Cell Wall"

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 10:12 AM

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9391764

ROFL!!! It does! And thanks for ensuring the binomial latin name is included to ensure a match. ;-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9391832

Funny, the first time I saw the "Grail" of cheese sammies, I thought it looked like one of those kinda creepy old porcelain dolls from the 1800's...Porcelainus dollus creepii

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9391942

That's my girlfriend from sixth grade - Jill Shea.

Unrequited lunch...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9392031

ViburnumValley wrote:That's my girlfriend from sixth grade - Jill Shea.

Unrequited lunch...

Haahaahaahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! "Unrequited lunch", that's hysterical!!

I kinda thought that toast looked like Marilyn Monroe myself.
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 21, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9392050

Apologies for any offence this product may cause:

http://www.amazon.com/Burnt-Impressions-Virgin-Mary-Toaster/dp/B005EMETY2

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 5:29 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9392193

ha ha the toaster !!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9392214

Linda????? YooooHoooo???? Where art Thou?

See? We already have found a new "mystery" to post about!
Seeing things in a piece of toast.
We could start posting other "mysterious" things here...Anyone???
While we wait for Linda to join us again?
G.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9392265

Holy consumerism, Girl Wonder! What will they think of next?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9392335

Weather must be bad all over if we can be so easily entertained with a piece of toast.
I think Linda has decided we're all nuts and has gone on to do something else.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9392590

Maybe it was cat poop, and she doesn't want to admit it. LOL The weather is nice here, kind of cold, but sunny...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9392620

OK! I'll go...

This is a root of a plant that is coming out of dormancy and starting to sprout.
What plant is it?
This was taken in April of 2009. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9392638

Phytolacca?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9392705

grwin--What is that in plain speak? I doi not know horticultural names.
Looked it up---

Nope!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9392796

Helianthus tuberosus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1859/
I don't speak "plain speak". I'm Canadian.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9392942

From the comments section below all the data--a Helianthus tuberosus is a
Jerusalem Artichoke...Who woulda guessed that?

Well--anyway--that is not it!
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 21, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9393215

Gitagal: Tuberous begonia? Or is that too obvious?
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 21, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9393218

Or Caladium?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
9:48 PM

Post #9393220

Dahlia.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9393225

I realize I was not asked ... ought oh .. you guessed it ... here it comes ...
I am still at ""cactus cat poop"" oh no ,, I did not do that .. did I ?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9393461

No!----No!----No!

..hint...these roots are much bigger than a Dahlia or a Tuberose Begonia or a Caladium.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 22, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9393731

Gita - looks like 4 o'clocks to me...dunno

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9393738

Kinda my thought too Minnesippi...very mature Mirabilis jalapa

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9393742

Potato weed or rhubarb by the leaf .. I have the others fore -mentioned , don't think so and don't know either.. Even looks a little like a real old strong Hibiscus..
That Hibiscus would resemble the two previous of four o clocks .

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 3:12 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9393768

The second pic is why I suggested Mirabilis jalapa

http://paulshirleysucculents.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/mirabilis-jalapa/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9393797

Well!

Three of you are correct! It is a 2 year old root, dug up and kept dormant in my basement,
of the 4 O'clock--"Broken Colors".
Wish it could have gone longer. What gave it away?????

I was amazed how fast and how big the roots will grow on this plant!
Even after just the first year--see how big the roots grew?
The specs disappear after a while.

These are the same roots I planted the following spring--and then dug up and stored them.
In Feb. or March--I semi buried the roots in some soil and waited for some signs of life.
That is what I posted above.

Gita

Anyone else--while we wait for Linda?
Maybe we should send her a D-mail to wake her up...Geez! I hope she is OK!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 22, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9393806

WOOHOO!! I got one right :) the upper left corner of the first pic made me think it. Thats what mine looked like last year when I planted them. Little brown carrots. :)
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

January 25, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9396936

cut it open and show us

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2013
2:33 AM

Post #9398798

I fear a tragic ending to this Thread!

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin

grlwonder
Perth
Australia

January 27, 2013
2:56 AM

Post #9398803

hahahaha

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9398848

Call it the "Phallic Deity" that now rules all our subconscious, out thoughts and out dreams!
Come! lets worship the green monstrosity!

WHERE IS LINDA????????????????????? Has this green god gobble her up?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 27, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9398987

This is not a laughing matter
At our urging Linda may have approached it with a knife or other sharp instrument

It had no choice but to defend itself...
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

January 27, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9399016

Hi. Fauna Fanatics! Sorry, I've been away from this fun group. I was off-line for a few weeks with techie problems.

Nope, no knife yet. The UGT (ugly green thumb) thrives on, but has shown no signs of life (or death) since I last posted. I took it to a meeting at our local ag. extension office a few weeks ago, but a PhD I showed it to didn't seem too interested. She just said it was a tuber of some sort. I'll be attending a meeting of the local cactus and succulent society for the first time in a week. Maybe I can stir up some interest there. Really, should I cut it open? It could be one of a kind or it might SCREAM!

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 27, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9399189

Or spit!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9399283

Or, God forbid, BITE!! 0_o
Nooooo, no knives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013

Post #9399289

Scissors may work just as good! Post mortem time?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9399300

Quoting: post·mor·tem (pst-môrtm)
adj.
1. Occurring or done after death.
2. Of or relating to a medical examination of a dead body.
n.
1. See autopsy.
2. Informal An analysis or review of a finished event.

But, it's not dead!!!!!

lindafrew wrote: The UGT (ugly green thumb) thrives on, but has shown no signs of life (or death) since I last posted.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9399311

speedie---
You trying to educate me again????

How do you know it isnt dead??? It could be--for all we know...
It hasn't grown---it hasb\n't died...it just IS!

AHA! An existance between live and dead. it is a ZOMBIE!!!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 27, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9399450

Then it is clear...whether knife, or bullet, or razor--- it must be silver -- but...where is the heart?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
3:00 AM

Post #9399758

Tsk tsk tsk, such violence in this group! < =P heeheeheee

Yes my Dear, I'm working on a new manuscript, "Educating Gita", HAAA!!!!!! < =D

Let us not forget the rules of Zombie engagement:
#1: CARDIO
#2: Double-tap
#3: Beware of Bathrooms

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9401007

Zombie -beware of tv overdose, more like it

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9401090

I wouldn't cut it open - I think we would find we couldn't ID the innards either. I would put where it is a little warmer or gets a little more light or both. Maybe it will grow or leaf or something.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9401135

Perhaps put a little soil over it and see if it does the "tuber thing"
Guzmania2010
Mexico
Mexico

January 29, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9401138

What was the name of the thing that started this topic ?

Excuse I'm too lazy to read all and monitor..long ago. I do not read here, too long it became the theme ... and even off topic, ufff that laziness .. excuse, excuse.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9401144

It does not have a true name as yet, Guzmania...it remains a thumb sized tuber like alien at this point.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9401193

Guzmania--

just go to the very top of this Thread--and you will see the pictures that created all this craziness.
We all have had a lot of fun guessing...Gita
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 29, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9401427

maybe we can place carefully on ouija board... let the lil fella tell us what it is.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
12:27 AM

Post #9402165

Just my 2 cents worth here, but I really think it would be best to leave it be until spring. Maybe move it to a sunny window/location, if it's not there already, water occasionally but sparingly and wait to see if it starts to sprout roots and/or leaves/stems in spring. Spring really isn't that far away - not here, at least, and I'm guessing AZ weather is quite similar to ours at least in terms of heat. Daffodils will be blooming here in the next week or two, and after that all heck, I mean spring, will break loose.

The UGT may be enjoying a nice winter dormancy right now. If it is alive, it should wake up and start to do something in the next month or so. I would think it prudent to wait until then to see what happens. If we get well into spring such that every living thing in your area is sprouting and growing and the UGT still hasn't shown any signs of life, THEN I might consider surgery to see if that yields any information. It would be a shame to cut into it now only to find some kind of delicate structure developing inside - and the whole thing rendered 'dead' as a result.

Give it until spring to make its move. Just my 2 cents.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9402195

Beautifully said Dream, and I could not possibly agree more. I bet the poor little fella is just sitting over there in his pot wondering why so many people want to cut him! < =(

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9402492

Thank you, speediebean. You paint an interesting word picture. In my mind's eye I'm seeing the little fella shaking in it's pot while trying desperately to motivate it's roots to help it flee and hide.

I do understand how difficult is must be for everyone to sit idly by watching this thing do nothing at all. We humans are an impatient species made all the more so by recent advances in technology. At this point, even I am beginning to wonder if it might be either dead or inanimate. Still, before taking a knife to the poor thing, I think we should take a look outside and note the current state of inactivity in most other plants and then, difficult as it might be give the little fella time to wake from its winter slumber before beheading it in the name of science. :-)

Who knows, in a month or two that strange and seemingly dead thing may just morph into something awesome and even more unique. That's my hope anyhow.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9402538

Dreams--I am with you on your thinking.
Lets see what this "thing" will do in spring. Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9402713

Oh great, a new visual now...

It's sitting there... hears someone mention 'knife' or 'scissors'. Suddenly sprouts 2 leaves and 4 roots. Roots SHPROING out of the bottom of the pot. The leaves hold up the pot like a skirt, and it runs away on its roots. < =D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9402727

speedie---

WHEN did they let you out of the Looney Bin???
Or--did you run away?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9402826

Heeheeheeeee, aawwww, but ya LOVE ME and my goofballness!! < =D

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9402855

OMG, speedie!

That is one hysterically funny image! I want to get out my pen and draw up that cartoon image for posterity. Too funny.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9402861

Dream--
DO IT! Then take a picture and show us. Can you draw??
Of course, with cartoons--it doesn't matter.
G.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 30, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9402865

Speedie...in my younger days...much younger...70's... I "saw" that very thing...but it wasn't a wee tuber -- it was was a full grown tree (oak?) that did that very thing...hitched up its big self and followed me.

Last time I tried that stuff!

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 6:31 PM
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 30, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9402871

PS

I still love plants -- I just don't light the darn things!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9402898

Speedie, perhaps you are becoming a bit too attached...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lJZiqZaGA

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9403461

Gita: When I return from dentist and other errands

missing: ROTFLMHO!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9403470

Missing, Haaahahahaahaahaaaaaaaa... Aaaaah yes, smokin' dem trees. Not all plant life is intended for use rolled up in zig-zags, eh? < =D
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 31, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9403907

got that...experience I will never forget!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9403921

Tops , ez wider, reefer rollers by flavor , strawberry ,lemon, grape...
Generic giant (rare)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9403989

Wow, **someone** knows a lot more than the rest of us! ;)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9404050

Or spends a lot of time in check-out lines...grin
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 31, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9404103

Those were the days...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9404355

Wish I could remember them.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9404548

Domehomedee wrote:Wish I could remember them.

HAAHAAHAAAAAHAAHAAAA!!!!!!! Oh my goodness you literally made me LOL!!!!!! < =D

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9404598

As the saying goes...if you remember Woodstock...you weren't there...
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 1, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9404838

Snort! Got a point. My dad would not let me go...I coulda been part of history.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9404885

I hear ya...I had a ticket and my father burned it...
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 1, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9404975

Heartbreak.

" but everrrrrrrrybody is going...it's just not fair...what can possibly happen...after all there will be a million people there...pleeeeese...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9405090

Head shops , you know , back in the freedom days ... I seem to remember a song about that ,,from someplace ,,lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9405095

You all are part of history the "wanted to go's" Is that anything like "Wanna be's " or in this case "wanted to have been's""?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 1, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9405207

I am part of the daughters of sicilian fathers!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9405218

Oh, goodness,, Guess I better be careful !!!! pardon //

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9405295

Nope, it just seemed important to go when I was 18...my only "wanna" was to hear Grace Slick, Pete Townshend, Janis Joplin...live and in color.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9405321

I was a little young for Woodstock. I was in the class of '74, we had streakers on bicycles at our graduation, between the audience and the graduating class.
I bleached my red hair white and had a white afro for graduation. Those were the days, LOL.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9405330

That was what my father kept saying about me...grin...in '74 my first born celebrated his first birthday...and he has red hair...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2013
9:24 PM

Post #9406547

I did go to the US Festival. Not Woodstock, but we tried. Lol my dad threatened me with all sorts of things, as my BF and I drove away...I'm glad I went but I couldn't take it now...sleeping in a tent on gravel so hot the ice in the ice chest was melted before we got there. By the way, what is that thing?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9406638

"... Thoooose were the days my friend
we thought they'd never end
we'd sing and dance
forever and a day..."

Hmmmm, ya know LisaC, we still don't know what it is. Linda's got some more stuff to do to try to find out. =)
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

February 9, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9413107

Hi. I went to a Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society meeting last Thursday evening and took the UGT (Ugly Green Thumb). Put on a table with 3 other plants people wanted help identifying. The 3 others got IDs, but not the UGT. No one commented at all (just threw up their hands), so I took it to a few attendees who were reported to be good at ID, but they were clueless. One of the people even refused to TOUCH it! One person thought is was a dead cactus because it was squishy (NOT), but no one else even had a suggestion for me. I was disappointed. Today, I am sending photos to a weird plant store I frequent here in Tucson. The proprietor is anxious to get the photos and said he'd share them around. BUT, my Funny Fauna Friends, I DO have some news. I do believe it's starting to grow. A few new bulges at the top (or, at least, it's the farthest part of the UGT above of the soil). Stay tuned. Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9413154

This is just weird.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9413178

...and the mystery grows...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9413309

Gitagal wrote:hey! I know!!!!!

Looking back at your 1st pictures--I think, finally, we all know where Ms. Bobbit hid the----you know what...

Call the cops! Linda found it!!!!! And--it is growing roots!!!! AAAAAAGGGHHHHH...

Silly time of night...My apologies in advance... G.

oh my, what a hilarious journey this has been.. Thank You!
Debra

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9413416

lindafrew wrote: One of the people even refused to TOUCH it! Linda

He KNOWS... touch it and it will ask for blood... and start singing show tunes! Aaaagghhh!!!!!!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9413439

oh, I can do that too. ...maybe a sing-along.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9413578

If Mrs. Bobbit had anything to do with it, it shouldnt be growin...so sorry I couldn't resist.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9413593

WOWWWWSA~~~

3,136 views!!! Seems half the world is following this!

I think this Post is assuming a life of its own!!!! AAAAGGGHHHHHH...
It is ALIVE!!!!!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9413606

And I was the first responder! This may seem silly to you guys on the east coast but by the time I check Dave's Garden most of you are in bed. So I rarely find a post that hasn't already been responded to and usually answered and solved on the plant id forum.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9413958

Dome, TAG, you're It!! < =D I know what ya mean, I'm typically late for every party.. the Queen of Lousy Timing. I would think though that, being 3 hours earlier than the rest of us you'd be right on top of things.. Hmmmm. I'm Polish, so if I have it backward, that's my excuse. ;P

This post is a 'monster' in its own right, and we keep feeding it. < =/ But... it's such a NICE little monster! =) Growin, start singing, we're all listening! < =D

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9414047

In honor of the "BUMPS" GRIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmVhyHBRAM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9414060

One of the BEST movies of all time, EVER.

"Werewolf!"
"There wolf. There castle."

=)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9414069

I agree...and the cast was stellar and Marty Feldman could steal the scene just by rolling his eyes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9414340

Bloo-kah !!!!! wee- neigh wee - neigh

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9414345

Oh Frau...you make the horses wild...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9414811

themoonhowl wrote:I agree...and the cast was stellar and Marty Feldman could steal the scene just by rolling his eyes.

I frequently say "Could be worse.. could be raining"

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9414847

LOL so do I...but it usually is already raining here...tsk tsk...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9415011

... Approaching a door...admiring the door knocker... you know the rest! ;P Hahahaaa!!!

"Aaaaaaah, Sweet mystery of life at last I've foooouuunndddd you!!!!!!"
deedlelu
Oakland, CA

February 11, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9415888

So I spent the last 30 minutes on the edge of my seat reading through this thread (although I should have been working!) thinking that I would reach the end and see a happy conclusion to the mystery... yet it remains unsolved!

Like everyone else, I'm dying to know! If its showing signs of growth at least we can safely say "its aaaaliveeee!"

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9415892

Good things gardeners are generally patient...but some folks have gotten a year older while they wait...GRIN

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9415894

My favorite scene is the dart game between Frankenstein and the Chief of Police, or whatever his title was.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9415917

Ah yes, Kenneth Mars...Nice grouping...grin
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

February 12, 2013
12:20 AM

Post #9416273

Was it your birthday on 11th Feb themoonhowl?

Meanwhile, I'm still hanging out to find out what "The creature from the Beaucarnea" is!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9416383

A few poats up--Linda said it is starting to grow...said it was getting some bumps on top.
I guess we are all waiting for a new picture.

Yooohoooo, Linda!!!! What's the latest????

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9416507

I wanna see tooooooo! =)

Psssst, Gita, what's a poat? < =P heeheeheee.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9416508

A "pote" is a "posst" when you are not involved in it...;o)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 12, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9416528

is it a pickle????

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9416561

No, but you are in a pickle if the post goes wrong...GRIN

Hi Grlwonder. No, I am one of the "schizophrenic" birthday babies...a Gemini born in June...grin

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9416566

No, but you are in a pickle if the post goes wrong...GRIN

Hi Grlwonder. No, I am one of the "schizophrenic" birthday babies...a Gemini born in June...grin

So many song titles keep running through my head about this ALF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYenQ5C77nk
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 12, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9416810

Yup --- I can see the problem if the post goes astray!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9425369

Hi all,

Sorry. I've been away a while, so I'm way behind. Very glad to hear The Thing may be starting to grow. If it is alive, it will have to sprout some new growth this spring/summer. I'm optimistic the new growth, if it occurs, will finally reveal its true ID. If there is no new growth, then we will know it is either dead or inanimate. I'm hoping for new growth - and a new picture.

Joeswife, Seems I missed Gitagal's joke 1st time around, so thanks for reposting.

Gita, That was hilarious! Scary where you mind goes but hilariously funny. On that note, uhm, I THOUGHT they sewed that thing back where it belonged! :-)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9425520

This thread is hilarious. Well worth the price of admission. :>)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013

Post #9425760

I've got the popcorn! =)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
2:13 AM

Post #9426293

That's all that's missing. :-D)))

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
2:19 AM

Post #9426296

Sharing ALL the popcorn with everyone else. < =)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
2:25 AM

Post #9426300

Very nice of you. :)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
2:48 AM

Post #9426307

Gotta make sure everyone's got munchies for the show! =)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9426369

if this 'preview' lasts too much longer, we're gonna be throwing the popcorn at each other! Plant people can get pretty rowdy.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9426428

Hedley Lamar would say we need Raisinettes...lots of Raisinettes.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9426585

hahaha another darn funny one.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9426596

Ahhh the genius of Mel Brooks...grin
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 21, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9427166

Ah...if only we can grow raisinettes...

If there is no growth...it is dead??? Heck, I can think one boyfriend I had way back when that must have been dead! He was easy on the eyes but as dumb as a post!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2013

Post #9427173

ROFL!!
It really comes down to functionality and purpose. Antlers can make a great coat rack.

Thumbnail by growin

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 21, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9427216

True true.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9427223

Yooo--Hoooo Linda!!!!

Come join us and chat a bit...otherwise this post is going South!

Can we see a picture of the "thing" and what it is growing? We need a "thing fix"-----
G.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9427337

How to grow jelly beans!!!? Brown sugar caramel popcorn ball blooming corn...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9427552

...thinking back... don't think I ever dated anyone with antlers... that I can remember.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9427574

Oh Good Night Nurse...Speediebean, I nearly sprayed the monitor with coffee...grin

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9427585

Howling along with you, moon. ;-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9427601

GRIN...hey, think it might be time for a new picture of our GAG...green alien guy...so we can see the bumps...I got this picture in my head of a Jabba the Hut Pickle like thingy...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9427966

speediebean thinking back... don't think I ever dated anyone with antlers

How about horns ? maybe ...I remember a few...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9428255

juhur7 wrote: speediebean

How about horns ? maybe

I have the right to remain silent. Anything I say could be used against me... < =D

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9428287

""You devil you""" Only I am not saying either!!!!...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9439685

I know...everyone thought it was a new picture or an answer...sorry.

Gitagal has aged a year over this thread...or it SEEMS like a year...LOL Just teasing ya...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gitagal...hope it is a grand day

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 2:01 PM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9440155

Thanks, moon!

Yes--aging is unavoidable! I try ti ignore it!
This Thread is "aging" as well! We are at 325 Posts now! And--NO solution in sight.

I hate to think that this will go on forever--as Linda is no longer being all that active here.
Maybe we all are having all the fun--and she has chosen to drop out????
Maybe this mystery will never be resolved--and we are just filling time yakking about other things.
It was a lot more fun when all the posting was guessing what the "thing" was.

Seems "The Thing" is no longer the main topic. WHAT do you all think?????

Gita

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9440196

Happy Birthday, Gita, and yes, I agree. Would love to see a pic of new growth , here...
Debra

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013

Post #9440470

Yup...we need to know if the "bumps" are growth or tentacles that wrapped Linda up and disappeared.

Inquiring Minds Wanna Know...please?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9442387

Hey!! I found some relatives of "The Thing"...

They are ganging up to rescue their "brothers"...Marching on...Looks like an army coming...
We better warn Linda--YOOOOHOOO, Linda!!! look out!
These guys mean business...yours are outnumbered!

I heard they only travel in the night...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9442401

Time for a family reunion ?LOL:-)

Does next mean it is time for a new cartoon , The garden shmoo?

This message was edited Mar 8, 2013 12:25 AM

This message was edited Mar 8, 2013 12:25 AM

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9442406

Those guys need some googly eyes.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9442455

LOL *v* I kind of like those things, what are they?

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
10:27 PM

Post #9442483

Looks like a close up view of a psychedelic tooth brush. (that word doesn't date me too much, does it? lol)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9452774

This thread has a newly started Thread now. Continued at the link below.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1302126/?hl=lindafrew

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America