-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9370869

I was building another cactus bed and a small bird about the size of a finch, but with a more round body, landed in the leafless Alexandrina Magnolia next to where I was working, I didn't have my camera and it wouldn't have helpd anyway as it hopped from branch to branch. But the distinguishing mark was a small circle of scarlet feathers on the very top of its head that were no longer than the rest of the feathers (I don't think the bird knows he is carrying a scarlet crown. It was absolutely brilliant in color and I have never seen anything like this and I work in my garden all the time. Any ideas anyone? Thanks, Xuling
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9370930

The Bird Center responded to my email and said that it sounded like a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The internet photos look pretty similar except that the crown was flared and not flat to the head as I saw it, and not as brilliant in color. But that probably was the bird. Any other ideas? Xuling

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

December 31, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9371295

I would go with a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The male will raise his crown when agitated or when attracting a mate. The behaviour sounds correct with its hopping about all over. Those fellows just will not hold still for anything.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9371346

Ditto to Chillybean.

Resin
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9371357

Thank you both

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America