Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: New Year's Resolutions for Gardeners: Choose low-maintanance plants

Communities > Forums > Article: New Year's Resolutions for Gardeners
bookmark
Forum: Article: New Year's Resolutions for GardenersReplies: 0, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gardeningman
Kingman, KS

December 31, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9371092

That last resolution about enjoying the garden more and spending more time looking rather than working is more achievable if gardeners use plants that are more low maintenance. I have a bed of lantanas on the south side of my house. Currently I have a cultivar that produces mass amounts of seeds and requires deadheading in order to keep producing the maximum amount of flowers throughout the summer and keep the branches from drooping to the ground under the weight of the seed heads. This Spring I am replacing all of my lantana plants with the sterile cultivar, "Miss Huff." That will be one less group of plants I will have to mess with and more time that I will have looking at my garden and spending time with my family.
Below is a link to a photo of the lantanas I will be replacing. I will probably have to increase the size of the flower bed, but a little extra labor now will save me a lot of time later.
/photos/27657351@N07/7183882933/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: New Year's Resolutions for Gardeners Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I wish others would! NEILMUIR1 3 Jan 4, 2010 1:58 AM
My 3 New Year's Gardening Resolutions: Gymgirl 7 Dec 31, 2012 12:40 PM
Repairing sprinkler systems et al keferraro 0 Dec 31, 2012 4:06 AM
My resolutions... legallyheidi 0 Dec 31, 2012 9:16 AM
2013 Gardening Resolutions carolcooper54 1 Jan 3, 2013 4:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America