Photo by Melody

Article: Growing English Ivy Indoors: Hedera helix 'Erecta' indoors?

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing English Ivy Indoors
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing English Ivy IndoorsReplies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
markrs
San Carlos, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9371200

I'm curious whether Hedera helix 'Erecta' (also called 'Conglomerata Erecta') will do well as a houseplant.

This is an upright growing cultivar that can form a small shrub. A local nursery carries it and it's very striking. They sell it in 1 gallon pots, intended to be grown outside.

A photo of Hedera helix 'Erecta' (posted by palmbob on Dave's Garden):

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/267339/

An article on the plant (Louis the Plant Geek):

http://www.louistheplantgeek.com/a-gardening-journal/605-hedera-helix-conglomerata-erecta

Hedera helix '(Congesta) Erecta' is available from a few online nurseries: Forestfarm, Glasshouse Works, Taylor Greenhouses, etc. and locally in California by the wholesaler San Marcos Growers.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9371423

Hi markrs, I don't have personal experience with this ivy indoors or out, but it certainly looks worth a try as a houseplant. Keep in mind, however, that it may not maintain its form indoors. According to the author of Encyclopedia of Houseplants, upright ivy cultivars like this ultimately end up as ordinary trailing specimens!

http://books.google.com/books?id=o75Q1O1-tk0C&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=hedera+helix+erecta+as+houseplant&source=bl&ots=HoTO1PStRg&sig=M1bD2fvbi-qbh1OaA3gKr0oqSgY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Xq_hUJelE4-vqQGR2YCwDw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=hedera%20helix%20erecta%20as%20houseplant&f=false
markrs
San Carlos, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9377896

Hi Gwen,

I disagree with your interpretation of what's said in the book you link to. Frankly, I find the statement in the book to be vague, and it's not clear to me what the author is getting at. Here's the description in full:

"There are also cultivars, such as 'Congesta' and 'Erecta', which have stiffly upright growing stems and leaves arranged in regular rows. In the end these cultivars also droop like other types of ivy."

So what does he mean by "droop like other types of ivy"? That individual stems will eventually get long enough, lose their upright character and bend over? That would be the simplest interpretation. Or that the plant will eventually revert to a trailing growth habit? Possibly. Or is there another interpretation? I don't think it's clear.

However, I disagree with the interpretation that the book's statement "In the end these cultivars also droop like other types of ivy" in any way implies that they "ultimately end up as ordinary trailing specimens".

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9377914

You're right, it's not entirely clear. I interpreted this to mean that the ivy would sooner or later revert to its natural habit, which is to head down and out, unless it has something to climb. Perhaps your local nursery that carries this plant can shed some light on its behavior!
plantrobot
Midlothian, VA

January 26, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9398145

I purchased this plant at a local nursery this summer, which was sold as a houseplant for terrariums, but I left it outside in a pot and it grew very well. When it came time in the fall to bring the houseplants inside, l had my suspicions as to whether it would make it inside the house. So, I took a few cuttings from hedera helix c. erecta and rooted them to spend the winter in my "garage nursery" (artificial light/no heat/never freezes-but cold!). The cuttings in the garage on this 20 degree day (outside temp) are flourishing. The mother plant inside the house has gotten persistently worse as winter progresses, and now is all but dead. Of course, none of these circumstances indicate that bringing the plant inside caused its death, or that the plant must have a cold environment to flourish. I hope my response might give you some idea of what happened in my case.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9398952

Good to know this! Glad you have successful cuttings so you can continue to experiment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing English Ivy Indoors Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for the tips sallyg 1 Dec 27, 2012 1:00 PM
yes, thanks for the tips. Catrscr 1 Dec 31, 2012 11:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America