Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: How to Grow Mushrooms in Your Basement--on Purpose!: Morels

Communities > Forums > Article: How to Grow Mushrooms in Your Basement--on Purpose!
bookmark
Forum: Article: How to Grow Mushrooms in Your Basement--on Purpose!Replies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jmcdon7
London
Canada

December 31, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9371207

Hi Audrey!

The reason for your lack of success with growing morels on purpose is because they must grow in association with tree roots, usually dead and decaying ones. They cannot just grow in soil, and absolutely refuse to grow indoors. They most definitely need a warm-cold cycle in order to know to fruit (just like trees do!), and there's probably also some sort of chemical signal in the soil that encourages them to produce their fruiting bodies that we call morels. Be careful if you eat a lot of them, though...they are hyperaccumulators of heavy metals, and some contain dangerously high levels of mercury, depending on where you find them.

Cheers!
~Jen
Audrey
Hadley, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9372081

Jen,
Thanks for your comments. I actually did plant the morel spawn outdoors--under our apple trees, as I'd read that they like old orchards. I was following instructions from Paul Stamets book, and can't locate it at the moment, but believe that wood ashes were also involved! Perhaps the problem was that, as you mentioned, morels prefer decaying roots and our apple trees are still young.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How to Grow Mushrooms in Your Basement--on Purpose! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mushroom Growing Supplies !!! yasirbdc 0 Aug 1, 2013 9:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America