Photo by Melody

Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now?: Before you burn wood...

Communities > Forums > Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now?
bookmark
Forum: Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now?Replies: 5, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Honeyberry
Woodstock Ontario
Canada

December 31, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9371214

Great ideas, Toni, but I think that a lot of people aren't aware of the detrimental health effects of woodsmoke. Woodsmoke is bad for EVERYBODY to breathe, but particularly bad for children, seniors, and anyone who suffers from COPD, asthma, or other breathing problems.
I would encourage everyone who burns wood to spend some time researching this issue before they light another fire; try "woodsmoke health" or "woodsmoke children" as Google searches. Here, for example, is the EPA's advice:
http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/healtheffects.html
It would be wonderful if gardeners (most of whom, I'm sure, are savvy about environmental issues) would spread the word about this issue.
Happy New Year to all, and breathe easy!
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

December 31, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9371354

Hi,
I'd also like to add to what Honeyberry says, but from a different point of view. Burning ANY kind of resinous wood in your fireplace can add significantly to the accumulation of soot in your chimney. Soot is carbon and unburned tar, etc. And a chimney fire is NOT something to laugh about. Burn your pine (if you must) in an outdoor burn pit, and stick to seasoned hardwood for your fireplace, and get your chimney swept/cleaned/inspected by a licensed professional yearly.
Better yet, mulch it, chip it and/or allow it to rot naturally.
You can also check to see if local zoos or animal parks can use the dried tree for entertainment for their animals. Follow their instructions as to how they want the tree, and provide some fun and stimulation for zoo animals.
Happy New Year!
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9387265

Thanks to both of you for excellent additional information. Yes, I've seen that discarded Christmas trees were given to zoo elephants. It was funny to watch them play with their food before they ate it!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2013
11:23 PM

Post #9736616

I just love your idea of re-decorating the tree with goodies for the wild life, outdoors! When spring comes and there is plenty of food, the tree can still go to the city's chippers for mulch.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9736689

Hi steadycam3,
Glad you enjoyed the article. Hope many people use some of the environmentally-friendly ways of disposing of their trees!

Toni Leland

Thumbnail by tonileland
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

January 5, 2014
4:51 PM

Post #9741090

If I didn't burn wood, I'd freeze to death. Or at least be very, very cold and arthritic all winter. HOWEVER, if you have an EPA approved woodstove or fireplace insert and you burn mostly hardwood (oak is highest BTU but elm, fruitwood, Russian olive, etc. works well too) from which you have peeled the bark---it'll come off easily if the wood is properly seasoned---you will generate very little smoke pollution. Unfortunately, in many parts of the country, hardwood is expensive or non-existent. Even in Oregon, which is one of those places, an EPA-approved stove will cut down on the particulates a great deal.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great information cathy4 11 Dec 29, 2012 6:16 PM
Other ideas clo100170 1 Dec 28, 2010 6:16 AM
What to do with your Christmas tree. spuddabudda 1 Dec 28, 2010 6:16 AM
New Orleans way with Christmas trees aalake 0 Jan 2, 2012 10:52 AM
What to do with your dead X-mas tree? GKK 1 Jan 3, 2012 4:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America