Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Turks Cap

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a nice stand of Turks' Cap that has enlarged over the years, with zero assistance from me. A friend would like some. I've googled some basic stuff (need to re-find it), but am wondering if anyone has personal experience to pass along. I'm thinking to dig up/divide a few plants for her in early spring. Thanks!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Turk's cap as in Lily or Hibiscus?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL, I have no idea. It looks like this, though:
http://www.westongardens.com/page%20content/plant%20library/turks%20cap.htm

That link didn't work - try another one.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

In your area, I doubt you need to wait for spring. It is pretty hardy stuff. You should not have a problem dividing it anytime between now and hot weather. I would think the sooner the better so it will have a chance to settle into her yard before it gets too hot.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, steadycam3. I'll get on it as soon as the weather cooperates a bit. It's cold out there! (for Texas, anyway).
KayJones, sorry, here's another link. Hope it works better for you.
http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/08/turks-cap.html (I didn't know it was edible, but I think I'll stick to strawberries, lol).
Lise

This plant is rampant in my yard and I dig it whenever - never tried to relocate it, though.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for your comment. With luck, maybe it will grow rampant for my hummingbird-loving friend too.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a Turk's Cap that I grew from cuttings taken from my former neighbor's plant. I just stuck the cuttings in some moist potting soil and put in a produce bag. It's now about 5 yrs old.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Fantastic, stephanietx! I will definitely try that. Thanks.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

BTW, Lise they also live in SA! ;)

Dallas, TX

All very interesting. I just read last night that it's best to grow turk's cap from container grown plants rather than cuttings. And I thought if something is on the internet it has to be true. :D
BTW, I have them growing in Dallas and also had them when I lived in Austin. Sun or shade. Despite neglect by me, always good growers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.